Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Corn Glizzy posted:

went into my local Walgreens Sunday night right as a homeless dude robed the place of like $70 worth of random poo poo, lady at the register was visibly upset and kept saying how she wished this didn’t happen and how she could do something about it but all I could think was there’s no way corporate Walgreens is paying her nearly enough to endanger herself over blistex and NyQuil, but that corporate loyalty brainwashing is hard to shake

When I used to work at a liquor store we'd get shoplifters pretty frequently. It upset me, but mostly because of how often they'd threaten me or my coworkers. One time a little old lady threatened to stab one of us when a coworker asked if she was going to pay for the gym bag full of bottles she was stealing.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

When I used to work at a liquor store we'd get shoplifters pretty frequently. It upset me, but mostly because of how often they'd threaten me or my coworkers. One time q little old lady threatened to stab one of us when a coworker asked if she was going to pay for the gym bag full of bottles she was stealing.

Now I’m picturing Sofia Petrillo hobbling out the store with a shank in her hand

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My great grandmother got caught trying to sneak like a silver tea pot out of a restaurant up her dress and when she was caught she said she thought it came with the meal, the prices you charge, then she told the guy to hammer it flat and stick it up his rear end.

My grandmother was super embarrassed and wouldn't speak to her mother for a few months after that.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Extended gunfight at the Old Farm this morning

drat, we're practically neighbors.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If there's one thing that will keep you safe from gang violence, it's publicly squealing about gang violence

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

If there's one thing that will keep you safe from gang violence, it's publicly squealing about gang violence

To be fair, "gunshots or fireworks" is the official game of the city of New Orleans.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

To be fair, "gunshots or fireworks" is the official game of the city of New Orleans.

Sure, but if you believed the elderly fucks on nextdoor every single one of the six boring university towns I've lived in in the last 10 years was Fallujah.

I'm convinced some of these people breathlessly run off to post ever time the neighbor has a movie on too loud, utterly convinced that MS13 is throwing down in their front yard.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but if you believed the elderly fucks on nextdoor every single one of the six boring university towns I've lived in in the last 10 years was Fallujah.

I'm convinced some of these people breathlessly run off to post ever time the neighbor has a movie on too loud, utterly convinced that MS13 is throwing down in their front yard.

Nextdoor here in NOLA is mostly transplants doing the "suspicious person!!!1!1!" thing...no points for guessing what color the suspicious person is, which is astounding given the population demographics of New Orleans. And the one guy who moved into a place in the French Quarter and then complains about the noise and people every single day.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Improbable Lobster posted:

When I used to work at a liquor store we'd get shoplifters pretty frequently. It upset me, but mostly because of how often they'd threaten me or my coworkers. One time q little old lady threatened to stab one of us when a coworker asked if she was going to pay for the gym bag full of bottles she was stealing.

I get the whole thing. When I was like 20 and worked at Steak n Shake (dine in fast food, somewhere between McDonald's and Applebee's), I used to get upset and take poo poo personally about dine and dash people, and kids having fights on the property. Turns out when you have very little control over your life, and not much else to be proud about, "being responsible for a restaurant" can break your brain. You want to do the best with this tiny crumb of responsibility someone entrusted you with, because it's validation, so you get real upset when someone tries to gently caress it up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Nextdoor here in NOLA is mostly transplants doing the "suspicious person!!!1!1!" thing...no points for guessing what color the suspicious person is, which is astounding given the population demographics of New Orleans. And the one guy who moved into a place in the French Quarter and then complains about the noise and people every single day.

There is a special place in hell reserved for people who move next door to a vibrant beloved bar or music venue and then immediately make it their life's work to get the place shut down

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Or, that move next to a cattle or other farm and try to get it shut down because of the smell (like dudes didn't you expect that?) or that move near a dirt bike track and complain of noise and dust.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I could be sold on the idea of living with the smell of melted hog fat

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There is a special place in hell reserved for people who move next door to a vibrant beloved bar or music venue and then immediately make it their life's work to get the place shut down

people moving in next to my highschool who constantly complained it was too noisy and there was too much traffic

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I could be sold on the idea of living with the smell of melted hog fat

Sit closer to the heater. BAM, gottem!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Some dipshit has been doing this to one of my local venues, after it managed to survive being closed down for a good chunk of the last two years of lockdowns.

https://thequietus.com/articles/30886-manchester-venue-night-day-campaign-to-stay-open

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Some dipshit has been doing this to one of my local venues, after it managed to survive being closed down for a good chunk of the last two years of lockdowns.

https://thequietus.com/articles/30886-manchester-venue-night-day-campaign-to-stay-open

I remember this exact thing happening to night and day about five years ago too
Who moves to the Northern quarter and expects it to be quiet?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Tunicate posted:

people moving in next to my highschool who constantly complained it was too noisy and there was too much traffic
Well, did they close the school or not?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Weka posted:

Sit closer to the heater. BAM, gottem!

:discourse:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Of course they did. They also exterminated all the children, noisy little pests that they were, and burned their bodies in a massive bonfire. Once the smell went away, the peace and quiet was quite validating

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 15, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Wow folks, the moving pictures are in color now too and some even have sound!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TotalLossBrain posted:

Wow folks, the moving pictures are in color now too and some even have sound!

Nope, that's too far. We need to shut down TV now.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Little Caeser's introduced $5 pizza 25 years ago.

Dollar Tree started as Only $1.00 36 years ago.

People are incredibly loving stupid.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
People get real loving mad when their doorbell camera catches teenagers playing ding dong ditch.

If they ever find out who they are they're going to have a serious talk with their parents.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah pretty sure it's like 90% getting mad that their expensive doorbell doesn't do poo poo to solve the problem.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
TBH I would get pissed if I was repeatedly ding dong ditched because my drat dogs would go apeshit every time. But I’m also not a neighborhood rear end in a top hat so I don’t get DDD’d in the first place.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Do people regularly get ding dong ditched? I don't recall it ever happening to me, or if it did it was so long ago I don't remember it.

Hell, I have almost never had door-to-door evangelists or anything like that. Occasional people looking for petition signatures, and once I had a local politician show up stumping at my door, but that's about it.

I guess my last two places had front doors that were kind of hidden, but my current place is obvious and on a residential street, so :shrug:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What kind of idiot kid would ding dong ditch someone with a Ring doorbell? Do they not know what those are? Do they have the internet?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The only people that get regularly ding dong ditched are the ones that did something to upset some kids. For the most part it's a one off sorts deal, it's inconvenient, you laugh about kids, maybe remember the time you teepeed a house, and you move on with your life.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The trick is to not have a door bell at all. Haven't had one in this house for 12 years now.

The mormons still knock, though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

eSporks posted:

The only people that get regularly ding dong ditched are the ones that did something to upset some kids. For the most part it's a one off sorts deal, it's inconvenient, you laugh about kids, maybe remember the time you teepeed a house, and you move on with your life.

When I was a child I had a friend who wanted to ding dong ditch this neighbor lady who had been mean to him but he was too scared, even in the era of fewer cameras. So he would set off a bunch of firecrackers at the place where her driveway intersected the street. Just the little baby ones. I'm surprised she even heard them in her house, but apparently one time she came out on her stoop and shook her fist at him and that was the end of that business.

Kids can be vicious and brutal sociopaths, but they can also be scared and totally lame.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Basically yeah, the school got moved a couple years after i graduated.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do people regularly get ding dong ditched? I don't recall it ever happening to me, or if it did it was so long ago I don't remember it.

Hell, I have almost never had door-to-door evangelists or anything like that. Occasional people looking for petition signatures, and once I had a local politician show up stumping at my door, but that's about it.

I guess my last two places had front doors that were kind of hidden, but my current place is obvious and on a residential street, so :shrug:

Maybe you live in the spooky haunted house so all the kids are too afraid to ding you.

Yes, your last house was haunted too. And the one before that.

:ghost:

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Our local Nextdoor has become Facebook. Almost all posts are the kind of forwarded jokes and memes old people share in emails.

Very few actual posts even related to the area, outside of the occasional "<local hospital / restaurant / grocery store / business> can't handle traffic because they have no workers" post followed by the usual arguments vax/anti-vax arguments.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

When I was growing up in the suburbs the ding dong ditch was merely a tool to draw the attention of a homeowner one direction so that other kids could raid the fridge in the garage he forgot to close for alcohol.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
"24" Vizio TV $100. Upgraded my daughter's room. Still works great comes with remote. Will let you see that it works before purchase."

People that don't know you can get a brand new *whatever item* for the same price as their used garbage are all over Nextdoor.

Washer $500 - bought three years ago for $550, still works but has a leak where the hot water attaches sold as is.

Two Chevy S-10 Rims. Fit 98-06 models. Firm at $900. I know what these are worth no lowballs.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Chief McHeath posted:

People that don't know you can get a brand new *whatever item* for the same price as their used garbage are all over Nextdoor.

Oh, they know. They’re just dumb as poo poo and fundamentally don’t understand that items are worth less than what they paid for them by virtue of them being used and not from a store, therefore no return policy or warranty.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm convinced some of these people breathlessly run off to post ever time the neighbor has a movie on too loud, utterly convinced that MS13 is throwing down in the front yard.

(someone coughs loudly)

Nextdoor: We are literally being overrun by gangs and terrorists! I've called the cops!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Oh, they know. They’re just dumb as poo poo and fundamentally don’t understand that items are worth less than what they paid for them by virtue of them being used and not from a store, therefore no return policy or warranty.

Or that there are new models and technology and a thing that costs 500 bucks today is probably a better thing than one that cost the same years ago, even new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Chief McHeath posted:

Washer $500 - bought three years ago for $550, still works but has a leak where the hot water attaches sold as is.

There’s a 95% chance they could fix this with a $10 part and a YouTube video.