Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Frogcroakley posted:

Aww, you're all being well nice. Thank you <3

Re: BSG... yes! No jokes, I originally pitched the book to BL as "Reverse Battlestar Galactica", so it's been there since the start. And aye, the name of Chapter 7 - "1,981 seconds" - is a direct homage to the BSG episode "33". The irony is I actually don't like BSG that much. I loving _love_ the concept though, so it was great fun to have my own stab at it with Reign.

As for the timing and the nature of the crusade.... you know, I'll come clean and admit I just left this one completely opaque on purpose. All too often when writing 40k, the second you tie yourself to chronology and/or location when you don't strictly need to, you paint yourself into a corner. I had thought about directly linking the crusade to Indomitus, but the continuity checks would have been a right old snarl-up, and someone still would have found a contradiction somewhere anyway. I guess in my own head, the crusade is just a particularly massive effort coming out of the segmentum solar.

Perhaps even while Indomitus is going on, for that matter! Two things I really try to get across in TDK are 1) how mind-bustingly huge the Imperium is, and 2) what a shitshow it is on an organisational level, and a separate religious crusade parallel to Indomitus really hits those notes. I love the idea that while large robert is trying desperately to pool all his resources for a desperate push to reunite the Imperium, some barking mad space pope announces that Saint Damiane's bones have mandated the destruction of a nearby necron empire, and requisitions a huge chunk of navy to get the job done. But like I say, this is just something I thought - the text leaves it very much open, so Indomitus could theoretically be in play.

A quick behind the scenes question, if you don't mind. I buy most of my 40k stuff through Audible. Do you get paid fairly for your time and effort that way? Why or why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

OPAONI posted:

why not?

Amazon

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

the panacea posted:

I just finished Reign and I want more. Hook it straight into my veins.

gently caress it, I'll get in on that train as well. I'll get Ruin for my January's Audible credit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oh nice, krieg and genestealer audio books right in time for monthly audible tithe.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

are the thousand sons any less cruel or murderous than other chaos legions? a friend of mine just started them and is convinced they're more moral than ultramarines.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Reign was very good. Hook it up to my veins indeed!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

are the thousand sons any less cruel or murderous than other chaos legions? a friend of mine just started them and is convinced they're more moral than ultramarines.

nah. they are monsters but most of them are literal haunted armor or weird super sorcerers who do emperor knows what horrors. i mean if your gonna pick chaos, nurgle seems better sorta.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reject the gods, embrace the pirate life with the Red Corsairs.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Like most of the chaos legions, they're initially shown off in the Horus Heresy books as showing a lot of promise and benefit for humanity. They embrace good governance and seem to offer a return to the Age of Technology, now with the benefit of hindsight. Thousand Sons are often depicted as being unwillingly cast out of the Imperium, and having turned to extreme magic due to being attacked and driven to the edge of ruin by the Space Wolves and the Emperor. Left to their own devices, they probably would have happily built some knowledge-based techno-wizard library world. That being said, Magnus was reckless in his pursuit of knowledge at all costs, and the Sons have generally been intelligent without being wise.

Most of the Sons have been turned into empty constructs at this point, or have sold their their souls for power, and they have few compunctions at this point. It is possible that some of the few remaining leaders might still support humanity in their hearts, and are simply biding their time for the right opportunity to finally tip the balance. But I wouldn't consider them particularly moral. Most of them would happily watch a planet burn just to increase their Power Score by 1.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Kaal posted:

and driven to the edge of ruin by the Space Wolves and the Emperor.

That's a very interesting way to put it, ignoring Horus's tremendous role in the matter.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

no, but they are Sad

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

I kid around about Chaos being the good guys sometimes but the truth is that the Loyalists and Traitors are pretty much exactly as bad as each other

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Like many other Warhammer questions the answer do as you want.

Want to play a chaos army that's secretly trying to achieve good in the galaxy despite the heresy? Go for it. Or maybe your dudes were a fleet caught in a warpstorm before the heresy and now they're trying really hard to blend in. There's room for as much creative expression as you want.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

AnEdgelord posted:

I kid around about Chaos being the good guys sometimes but the truth is that the Loyalists and Traitors are pretty much exactly as bad as each other

I'd still rather live in Ultramar than the Eye of Terror. Mind, that's not saying much but still.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Telsa Cola posted:

That's a very interesting way to put it, ignoring Horus's tremendous role in the matter.

"My super duplicitous eldest son swears up and down that my younger son broke the rules and hates me. Guess I gotta have my middle son murder them without confirming."

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Theres like one TS, Azahaman or whatever, whose entire driving purpose is to undo the curse that hosed over like 99% of the legion and bring his lost brothers back.

As far as I am aware only he and maybe some sorcerers allied with him have actual decent goals. All the other sorcerers are generic cackling madmen.

Also the Lamenters are the good guys. It's why they keep getting hosed over.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

AnEdgelord posted:

Nah, there's pretty clear moral differences involved. The Imperium might blow up an inhabited world because they believe it undefendable and allowing it to fall would jeopardize hundreds of other worlds. Chaos would blow up a world because it's funny.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Kaal posted:

"My super duplicitous eldest son swears up and down that my younger son broke the rules and hates me. Guess I gotta have my middle son murder them without confirming."

The orders were intercepted mid transit and changed. The Emperors orders were literally something along the lines of "tell him off and bring him back so we can find out whats going on"

Edit: I may have gotten the exact sequence of events wrong but the lore is pretty explicit that both the Emperor and Russ did not want to kill Magnus or burn Prospero and that outcome is a direct result of Horus and Chaos fuckery.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 18, 2022

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Telsa Cola posted:

Theres like one TS, Azahaman or whatever, whose entire driving purpose is to undo the curse that hosed over like 99% of the legion and bring his lost brothers back.

As far as I am aware only he and maybe some sorcerers allied with him have actual decent goals. All the other sorcerers are generic cackling madmen.

Also the Lamenters are the good guys. It's why they keep getting hosed over.

Ahriman caused all the trouble that he's trying to undo.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Kaal posted:

Nah, there's pretty clear moral differences involved. The Imperium might blow up an inhabited world because they believe it undefendable and allowing it to fall would jeopardize hundreds of other worlds. Chaos would blow up a world because it's funny.

thats just not true, The Imperium blows up a ton of worlds for entirely spurious reasons

people seem to forget that "Loyalist" includes psychos like the Black Templars or the Flesh Tearers

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

thats just not true, The Imperium blows up a ton of worlds for entirely spurious reasons

people seem to forget that "Loyalist" includes psychos like the Black Templars or the Flesh Tearers

Sometimes the reasons are they hosed up the excel sheet, but Extermenatus generally does not get thrown around willy nilly, if only because its somewhat difficult to authorize.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

it was my understanding that to get anything done chaos wise you need to do poo poo like build towers made out of corpses in the course of sacrificing entire planets. that's a word bearers example and they're one of the less overtly bloodthirsty legions.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

it was my understanding that to get anything done chaos wise you need to do poo poo like build towers made out of corpses in the course of sacrificing entire planets. that's a word bearers example and they're one of the less overtly bloodthirsty legions.

It depends, you can summon demons and poo poo with like an orgy party for Slannesh or a murder or two for khorne if you do it right. Becoming a daemon prince is a bigger ask and yeah it sometimes takes a whole planet.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Telsa Cola posted:

The orders were intercepted mid transit and changed. The Emperors orders were literally something along the lines of "tell him off and bring him back so we can find out whats going on"

Edit: I may have gotten the exact sequence of events wrong but the lore is pretty explicit that both the Emperor and Russ did not want to kill Magnus or burn Prospero and that outcome is a direct result of Horus and Chaos fuckery.

To my mind at least that removes too much agency. There's a reason that Horus maneuvered the Wolves into being the guys to swing the axe rather than the Ultramarines, because ultimately Guilliman's legionaries would never accidentally genocide a human world. Russ and the Emperor created a bunch of technobarbarians to be the "executioners", and they did exactly what they were created for. I'm not minimizing Horus' ultimate culpability here, and it's absurd that this sort of command wasn't delivered in person by a bunch of Custodes. But Russ was the one who built a horde of attack dogs that could be let off the chain, and the Emperor was the one who created such dysfunctional people with such immense and unrestricted power.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The Thousand Sons tend to focus more on big picture stuff, so they don't really get into the more personal psychopathic stuff like the other traitor legions do. I remember a bit in the first Black Legion book where Khayon notices a human bowing to him. He states that he doesn't care what they do as long as they stay out of his way.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Just finished Twice-Dead King Reign and this poo poo rules

It makes me hope that GW makes it possible to play full Flayer Dynasties

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I also just finished TDK: Reign and drat that was extremely good.

I really really want a book from the crusade perspective. I kept thinking throughout "I wonder what is happening in the crusade right now? What are they thinking and how are they viewing what is going on?" I think there are some very interesting possibilities there.

drat, just an excellent book. Definitely to the necrons what Night Lords did for the Night Lords and Lords of Silence for Nurgle.

Also please give me a spinoff following the adventurers of gestalt scarab and Xott.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Nuclear War posted:

I'd still rather live in Ultramar than the Eye of Terror. Mind, that's not saying much but still.

One of the jokes of 40k is that the imperium sucks so bad that living in a hell dimension and worshipping evil gods is a plausible alternative for many of its citizens.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I actually feel like it’s a bit of a missed opportunity. 40k *could* show chaos as a viable alternative to the Imperium and maybe make us question some of those fascists choices a bit but every depiction of a chaos society from the inside makes it seem so cartoonishly abhorrent that the imperium, for all its fascism, is clearly better. The imperium is awful to live in but chaos cultures in 40K are pretty much all tubs of blood, mandatory cenobite surgery, cannibalism etc.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so my birthday is coming up. so i got this.

https://warhammerart.com/shop/warhammer-40000/imperium/ciaphas-cain-choose-your-enemies/

art print of big size.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I actually feel like it’s a bit of a missed opportunity. 40k *could* show chaos as a viable alternative to the Imperium and maybe make us question some of those fascists choices a bit but every depiction of a chaos society from the inside makes it seem so cartoonishly abhorrent that the imperium, for all its fascism, is clearly better. The imperium is awful to live in but chaos cultures in 40K are pretty much all tubs of blood, mandatory cenobite surgery, cannibalism etc.

i mean one of the points is the imperium's horribleness chases people into the arms of the various other monsters and depending on the god, you probably view all that poo poo as either cool gift from grandpa or "makes me hornier" or makes it easier to spill blood. i do however like how most of the chaos marines are painted as basicaly sunk cost monsters. they are so deep in blood and pain and horror because they got tricked or turned traitor over slights or their primarch was a broken piece of poo poo that they kinda just accept it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's one of the readons Traitor General is so highly regarded. From the perspective of the average fruit grower on Gereon, nothing changed. All the wild augmetics to let people pick fruit better were already installed vefire Chaos showed up.

Telsa Cola posted:

Back to do what though?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Arquinsiel posted:

That's one of the readons Traitor General is so highly regarded. From the perspective of the average fruit grower on Gereon, nothing changed. All the wild augmetics to let people pick fruit better were already installed vefire Chaos showed up.

Back to do what though?

except that’s not true at all, the occupation of gereon is incredibly hellish (they literally call it the “Days of Pain”) and daily life for the citizens is being slowly tortured to death. The ghosts repeatedly come across signs of people’s prior lives pre-invasion that paint them as simple and sometimes hard but containing meaning and worth and moments of happiness. under Chaos, though, the people are degraded to an almost feral state by the insane cruelty of the occupation. In the end when Gereon is “liberated” most of its population has been subject to genocide and the planet itself has been perhaps irreparably damaged by the theft of its oceans and food.

There are examples of slightly more functioning chaos societies in the lore (nurth) but Gereon is the one I was thinking of when I wrote that post. Under the Imperium, Gereon’s people were basically serfs with no rights. Under Chaos, they’re basically farm animals, subjected to psychotically over-the-top slavery and eventually slaughtered.

I think a more compelling story is the one dapper swindler describes, where chaos seems alluring and by the time you figure out it’s much worse than the imperium it’s too late.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's a stone cold fact that the only good faction are the Genestealer Cults. At least it's an ethos.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The only real difference I took from it is that they weren't allowed worship as they pleased and the occupying forces hoarded all the spare parts. Other than that the ecological devastation caused by the monoculture of a foreign species was basically bog standard Imperial world stuff.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Shirkelton posted:

It's a stone cold fact that the only good faction are the Genestealer Cults. At least it's an ethos.

Star children shall have their feast and I will hear nothing to the contrary. The only thing we have to lose is hair.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arquinsiel posted:

The only real difference I took from it is that they weren't allowed worship as they pleased and the occupying forces hoarded all the spare parts. Other than that the ecological devastation caused by the monoculture of a foreign species was basically bog standard Imperial world stuff.

Chaos wants to use the planet up as an expendable resource, they're literally stealing the planet's water with weird warp creatures. The Imperium has an interest in keeping the planet around as a long term source for food and soldiers. It's the difference between working your slaves to death to build a monument and being a medieval landowner ruling a bunch of serfs. By the time the Ghosts return to Gereon, it's starting to become depopulated. The villages and towns they used previously are mostly deserted and filled with bones.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yes, and Gaunt tries to talk people out of exterminating the survivors and just starting over in a few centuries because that is what the Imperium does.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Yeah but this isn’t a counterinsurgency in our world where that would be impossibly evil, the population of the planet has been implanted with chaos worms that track their moves, branded with magical symbols, eating and drinking chaos tainted supplies etc etc

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

You can also see the difference between the human lower-deck crews of Imperial and Chaos ships. Both live horrible lives enslaved to the ship that is their home but in Chaos ships the crew have to contend with higher rates of mutation, possession, and being hunted by demons and/or Chaos marines whenever the whim strikes. Both suck, but one sucks more.

What Chaos offers that the Imperium doesn't is a sort of might-makes-right freedom to seize your own destiny. If you fail, you get turned into a spawn and/or your soul eaten by a demon, but the chance for greatness is there for anyone brave/strong/clever enough to seize it.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think a more compelling story is the one dapper swindler describes, where chaos seems alluring and by the time you figure out it’s much worse than the imperium it’s too late.

I think that one of the reasons that GW created the Dark Imperium storyline is that it helps them tell that sort of story. There is no question that life on Macragge is pretty good these days - the environment is good, the economy is good, the government is stable, there's an expanding trade network, etc. It's an example of the empire at its best, and it seems pretty similar to other sci-fi colony worlds like Reach from Halo. On the other hand, you've got planets in the Imperium Nihilus like Baal, where the inhabitants are barely holding it together after a major Tyranid attack and the Blood Angels are way too busy dealing with Chaos incursions / Necron threats / Tau expansion to do much to help them, even if they were inclined (which they are not). Giving up and hanging out in Nurgle's Garden enjoying an narcotic flesh-eating plague might sound like a better alternative to some of those feral serfs than continued grinding existence on the edge of the Imperium's dominion.