Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I think some of the Vector Prime/Yuuzhong Vong invasion also got a mini-series, but you're right, not too many of the books got comic adaptations. A shame, I think Hand of Thrawn would be cool in comic format. The Thrawn comics are some of my favorite adaptations.
Dark Horse had an Invasion series set during the Yuuzhan Vong War, but it was an original story, not adapted from any of the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was just thinking Danny Trejo should be in Star Wars, he certainly looks the part. Also I kind of like the goofy space Vespas. The chase kind of reminded me of the swoop chase in SOTE.

I kind of thought they’d have the Pykes kill off his Tusken family and it would turn out that this was all going to turn out towards the end of the season to be a revenge plot against them. Instead it was a swoop gang that did it, although maybe it turns out they did on behalf of the Pykes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Also I kind of like the goofy space Vespas.

I liked the look of the space Vespas, and even the hipster cyborg teens, but it didn't feel like either of them belonged on Tatooine. Maybe the next episode we'll learn they're actually from Corellia and slumming it on Tatooine for Life Day Break or whatever. That and the chase scene looked like they were going 20 MPH.

I did think it was kind of a funny take on all the Boomer stereotypes about Millennials that the gang can't afford water because they spent all their credits on cyborg parts.

Casimir Radon posted:

I kind of thought they’d have the Pykes kill off his Tusken family and it would turn out that this was all going to turn out towards the end of the season to be a revenge plot against them. Instead it was a swoop gang that did it, although maybe it turns out they did on behalf of the Pykes.

I think we're definitely meant to take away that the Pykes did it. Fett goes to the Pykes and tells them that they'll need to pay protection to the Tuskens. The Pykes tell him they know it's the cost of doing business, but they're already paying the Kintan Striders, and they don't want to pay two different groups for protection. Then Fett goes back to see the Kintan Striders have wiped out the Tuskens. I think it's supposed to be something where Fett will realize in hindsight that the Pyke was telling him exactly what was happening at the time, but Fett didn't know enough then to read between the lines.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I think we're definitely meant to take away that the Pykes did it. Fett goes to the Pykes and tells them that they'll need to pay protection to the Tuskens. The Pykes tell him they know it's the cost of doing business, but they're already paying the Kintan Striders, and they don't want to pay two different groups for protection. Then Fett goes back to see the Kintan Striders have wiped out the Tuskens. I think it's supposed to be something where Fett will realize in hindsight that the Pyke was telling him exactly what was happening at the time, but Fett didn't know enough then to read between the lines.
If that’s what they’re doing I’d have structured it a bit differently so you get enough of the backstory to know what’s going on, but it’s a surprise when it turns out that the whole plot was mostly in service to taking personal revenge on the Pykes. Frederick Forsyth’s The Odessa File kind of comes to mind.

The kids Fett hires suddenly remind me of the Hot-Rodding Teenagers From Dimension X that were in the 1987 TMNT.

Edit: Because this series has been so Tusken heavy I doubt the Kenobi series will be taking many notes from the JJM novel.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 12, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i am kind of disappointed by fett in the show so far. i like this portrayal of him and prefer it to the mary sue quiet badass of old canon. but like he really hasnt done much outside get his rear end kicked and gently caress up some drunk bikers and as much as i like the tuskans being portrayed as like a real culture. i am just sick of them. i assume the show will mostly pick up speed now though. but i guess my issue is it feels like fett becoming space kingpin was kinda of a spur of the moment decision on his part and now he is up to his neck in stuff and basicaly getting bodied by everyone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fett becoming a space kingpin was about as thought out as making it a credits stinger for Mandalorian season 2. Then they actually had to write it.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I have not seen either TV show, so take my thoughts with a huge grain of salt (IF they ever get released on DVD, I'll watch them, along with Clone Wars), but I think it might have been a mistake to do two TV shows with characters in Mandalorian Armor. The Mandalorian is cool, but why not do Kenobi or some non-Mandalorian character next? Rogue Squadron, something?

Variety's the spice of life.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It is a bit of a weird choice, especially when the decision for this show was to keep Fett on Tatooine, and then the next Disney show coming out is the Obi-Wan one, where Tatooine will also be a big part. Although it unfortunately does seem like that show is going to take Obi-Wan off around the galaxy.

But I think what's really killing me about Book of Fett is the complete lack of motive for Fett himself, and lack of characterization for Ming-Na Wen. I just thought that her character has been around for three years now on three different shows and I don't think there's been any kind of personality development, character arc, or internal life of any sort given to her. The rancor introduced in this most recent episode has more character development than her, and that's not hyperbole.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The motive is probably revenge on the Pykes.

Can I just say how much I hate this intro thing Disney slapped on all Star Wars products? The Lucasfilm logo and whatever title the product itself has should be enough. They didn’t need to make a retread of the Marvel intro.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, that intro is really annoying.

And maybe revenge on the Pykes is the reason, but the end of the latest episode made it seem like the Pykes left Tatooine at some point after the past segment and only returned now, that they claimed Tatooine after Bib Fortuna's death. Their arrival on the planet at the end and scaring off the Hutts seems like they haven't been on Tatooine for a while.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think the Pykes were behind the Tusken massacre, and the whole crime lord thing is Fett building up to the point that he can take them on.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Took me a bit, but I finally finished watching the Clone Wars' final season. I was kind of hesitant since the original non-ending was passable, but the final arc finished the whole thing real well. Certainly much better a sendoff than the prequels deserved.

I also forgot to post about finishing Dark Disciple, which I still enjoyed a bunch even on the second time around. The plot starts fumbling a bit towards the end as Ventress assumes less of a leading role and starts playing dumb to keep the plot going, but it holds up well enough that the ending is still pretty solid. It certainly wears its TV show roots on its sleeve, and you can tell exactly where one episode was meant to end and the next begin, but on the flipside it also captures the characters really well. Didn't really notice any glaring Legends references, although I am left wondering why pick Christopsis of all planets as the place for the final showdown. Probably won't revisit it again unless I end up rewatching the entire Clone Wars, but it was money well spent.

Edit: The Final Season did leave me wanting to re-read Ahsoka as well, but iTunes ate it shortly after I read it the first time around.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 14, 2022

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Siivola posted:

Didn't really notice any glaring Legends references, although I am left wondering why pick Christopsis of all planets as the place for the final showdown.

From what I recall, the big one was the mention of Tholme as Quinlan's master, although it then runs roughshod by establishing that Ventress killed him at the start of the war.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Is that big? Dude needed a name and it'd be kinda weird if it wasn't Tholme. :shrug:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Siivola posted:

Didn't really notice any glaring Legends references, although I am left wondering why pick Christopsis of all planets as the place for the final showdown.
Because it was originally an arc on the show and they already had the assets for Christophsis built. Dark Disciple doesn’t do a great job smoothing out the original script sometimes. It’s glaringly obvious where each episode starts and ends within the book. Golden should maybe have spent a little more time fleshing things out.

I was happy how good the final season was. The “Lost Missions” or whatever that they put on Netflix after cancellation are kind of rough. The inhibitor chip arc isn’t bad, but the other episodes kind of suck.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Chairman Capone posted:

But I think what's really killing me about Book of Fett is the complete lack of motive for Fett himself, and lack of characterization for Ming-Na Wen. I just thought that her character has been around for three years now on three different shows and I don't think there's been any kind of personality development, character arc, or internal life of any sort given to her. The rancor introduced in this most recent episode has more character development than her, and that's not hyperbole.

Temura Morrison just seems kind of uninterested in even being there, it's like they didn't give him any direction beyond "stoic and pensive." He acts like he's the main character in an RPG where Choices Matter, but they only have the one voice actor and he needs to be appropriate for any playstyle. The opening scene with the hot rod water thieves especially felt like it could have been a sidequest from KOTOR.

quote:

These people owe me 1300 credits!

1. You heard the man, will you pay with money or your life?
2. I'll cover the debt. (pay 1300 credits)
3. Take 500 and consider it resolved. (pay 500 credits)
4. (Persuade) Allow them to work off what they stole.
5. I'll deal with this later.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

It is a bit of a weird choice, especially when the decision for this show was to keep Fett on Tatooine, and then the next Disney show coming out is the Obi-Wan one, where Tatooine will also be a big part. Although it unfortunately does seem like that show is going to take Obi-Wan off around the galaxy.

yeah. i like her character but she doesnt do enough. she is cool and i like her as the bad rear end number 2 though.

Casimir Radon posted:

I think the Pykes were behind the Tusken massacre, and the whole crime lord thing is Fett building up to the point that he can take them on.

i think that too but the shows pacing is so mixed that it kind ruined it. there are three more episodes left so i assume poo poo will get better.

Rochallor posted:

Temura Morrison just seems kind of uninterested in even being there, it's like they didn't give him any direction beyond "stoic and pensive." He acts like he's the main character in an RPG where Choices Matter, but they only have the one voice actor and he needs to be appropriate for any playstyle. The opening scene with the hot rod water thieves especially felt like it could have been a sidequest from KOTOR.

i think he is ok, its just they dont really give him much to do and any time the story could get interesting, the universe bends to fix it so fett doesnt have to do any stunts or cool poo poo. like "oh poo poo two hutt siblings showed up and want to start poo poo, how will fett deal with them", "oh they are just loving off now and giving him a pet . ok bye".

like the whole issue is i like the idea of "fetts done with bounty hunting and wants to play kingpin" but like you said, he feels like a blank slate moron Player character. idk hope it gets better. least peacemaker and smiling friends are both good.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 15, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i like her character but she doesnt do enough. she is cool and i like her as the bad rear end number 2 though.

i think that too but the shows pacing is so mixed that it kind ruined it. there are three more episodes left so i assume poo poo will get better.

4 episodes left, but your point still stands. There will be 7 episodes, so there's a whole other episode to do stuff in?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

4 episodes left, but your point still stands. There will be 7 episodes, so there's a whole other episode to do stuff in?

thanks. yeah i think they are clearly setting stuff up but they havent done an amazing job at it. i will say i do like their portrayal of Fett.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

is it really a fett series without bossk popping out of closets every other episode

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They should use the Robot Chicken version of Bossk.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And also Dr. Ball, MD for some reason

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dave Wolverton died a couple days ago at 64.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

drat. Courtship of Princess Leia has proven surprisingly resilient to canon resets. Something about Force witches riding on Rancors is just inherently cool.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I can't remember where it was, but back when the Nightsisters first showed up in Clone Wars, I remember hearing it was because Katie Lucas was a fan of Courtship.

I forgot that Wolverton also wrote a lot of the YA tie-in stuff around the time of Phantom Menace. For some reason I had it in my head that Courtship was a one and done.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

drat. Courtship of Princess Leia has proven surprisingly resilient to canon resets. Something about Force witches riding on Rancors is just inherently cool.

Courtship of Princess Leia also created Warlord Zsinj and the idea that Han had been off fighting him for a number of months. It’s almost just throwaway lines in that book and not really elaborated on, but without that we don’t get the Wraith Squadron books a few years later.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Courtship of Princess Leia does involve Han shooting Leia with a date-rape gun and kidnapping her off to a planet he won in a card game…It has some interesting stuff but it’s pretty dumb.

He also wrote a couple of the Jedi Apprentice novels but those ultimately became Jude Watson’s baby.

Wikipedia says he edited 16 editions of L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future from 1992 to last year. Which is a tad bit sketchy to say the least.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's a tad sketchy, but probably a bit less sketchy than Roger Christian, who won an Oscar for his set work on ANH, directing Battlefield Earth.

I remember hearing that Wolverton was a very strong Mormon, at least when he wrote Courtship, which might explain a bit also.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember hearing that Wolverton was a very strong Mormon, at least when he wrote Courtship, which might explain a bit also.

Yeah, he taught at BYU and apparently was one of Stephanie Meyer's instructors. He also claims to be the guy who decided Scholastic would pick up Harry Potter in the US, so he casts a surprisingly long shadow over pop culture.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 18, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

It's a tad sketchy, but probably a bit less sketchy than Roger Christian, who won an Oscar for his set work on ANH, directing Battlefield Earth.
I watched Battlefield Earth after it was named worst movie of the decade by a few different publications. It’s awful. The public knew considerably less about Scientology at the time so they probably thought they were going to recruit so many people after they were exposed to Hubbard’s “genius”.

Looks like he also directed the added on portion of the first Young Indiana Jones “film”. After the cancellation of the show Lucasfilm edited the episodes into feature length films by mashing a couple episodes together. Often with a little bit of filler content shot later on. Which is fine when it’s adult Sean Patrick Flannery, but less so when it’s a kid who can grow up considerably in the intervening time. Originally the first episode of the show was a feature length one that had 8 year old Indy played by Corey Carrier in Egypt, and late teens Indy played by Flannery during the Mexican revolution. With plot elements linking them together. When they went back to edit the series into a string of films later on the Mexican revolution episode was split off and paired with one involving Thomas Edison, and they decided to shoot more footage to pair with the Egypt episode. The problem being this is now 5 years later and Corey Carrier is now 13 and pretending to be 8. It would have been less jarring had they just recast him.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 19, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you want to see what kind of weird poo poo former Star Wars writers got upto afterwards go take a look at Donald F. Glut's personal website.

Not at work though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The guy who wrote Jedi Prince with his wife is also nuts. Like a full blown conspiracy nut. Also incredibly defensive about people saying the books are bad. “HOW COULD THAT POSSIBLY BE? THEY SOLD REALLY WELL”.

Anyone remember seeing ads for Lucasfilm’s Alien Chronicles in the back of SW novels? I guess there were originally being developed as SW novels about how humans ended up in the Galaxy Far Far Away, before being spun off into its own thing. I’ve been curious about them for a long time so I grabbed them cheap on eBay.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember the TV ad with Mark Hamill doing voice-over for the New Jedi Order books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVCV552EPGk

Unrelated but the rancor on Boba Fett reminded me of the fat rancor tamer in Jedi, which in turn reminded me of Empire at War: Forces of Corruption. There's a Zann Consortium unit where the fat rancor man has a sack full of ewoks strapped with bombs that he throws at enemies.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 18, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shadows of the Empire got a commercial too. Don’t know where it was actually shown. That’s for the book, comic, soundtrack, and game. Or as they call it: “An Adventure in Multimedia”.

I also found this Kenner commercial with some lovely goofy 90s CGI. I don’t think I ever saw this one before. The narrator is either Mark Hamill or a does a very good impression. It’s 98% original CGI, and a couple seconds of the actual toys.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arc Hammer posted:

Unrelated but the rancor on Boba Fett reminded me of the fat rancor tamer in Jedi, which in turn reminded me of Empire at War: Forces of Corruption. There's a Zann Consortium unit where the fat rancor man has a sack full of ewoks strapped with bombs that he throws at enemies.
Welp, guess I need to go replay that expansion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Welp, guess I need to go replay that expansion.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ewok_Handler

quote:

Ewok Handlers were soldiers used by the Zann Consortium. They were armed with Gaffi Sticks and used Ewoks as bombs.
Prior to battle, the handlers captured many Ewoks and strap vests with explosives such as Thermal detonators on them. When enemy infantry got near to Tyber Zann's forces, the handlers unleashed their confused captives, who then ran towards the enemies in hopes of salvation, only to blow up in a devastating explosion that engulfed both the Ewoks and the targets.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Anyone remember seeing ads for Lucasfilm’s Alien Chronicles in the back of SW novels? I guess there were originally being developed as SW novels about how humans ended up in the Galaxy Far Far Away, before being spun off into its own thing. I’ve been curious about them for a long time so I grabbed them cheap on eBay.

Yeah, apparently when they were under the Star Wars umbrella, they were going to be written by Robert J. Sawyer, who left the project when it moved away from the Star Wars license, and Deborah Chester was hired for the new version of the project, using a similar premise. Ironically, the books that were actually published have no humans in it at all.

Chronosynclast
Sep 29, 2021
Just finished Shield of Lies, the second book of the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy, and I definitely see what other people were saying about it feeling like three unrelated books combined into one. Whereas the first book alternated plotlines between chapters, thus at least creating the illusion that they were somehow related, this one drops all pretense and has each in its own separate section without any crossover between them. This trilogy is looking like it's going to be a miss in my view.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is it wrong that I loving love the Thrawn Ascendancy trilogy?

I enjoyed them, and was very happy the series finished with a bigass fleet action after so many smaller engagements. Zahn is so drat good at writing those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Chronosynclast posted:

Just finished Shield of Lies, the second book of the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy, and I definitely see what other people were saying about it feeling like three unrelated books combined into one. Whereas the first book alternated plotlines between chapters, thus at least creating the illusion that they were somehow related, this one drops all pretense and has each in its own separate section without any crossover between them. This trilogy is looking like it's going to be a miss in my view.

FWIW, I think the layout of the second book makes it the weakest of the trilogy. The third book has some of the best action parts of the series, but yeah the whole trilogy is just bleh.

Speaking of bleh trilogies, I couldn’t get into the Corellian trilogy at all. Didn’t care for the writing or what it was setting up from the start. I’ve been wanting to get (back) to the Hand of Thrawn duology for years, so I’m jumping to that.