Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Given that it's impossible to pour from the kettle, it's purely a joke.

There are two pipes, in and out. The water boils in the kettle and acts as a hot water source somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, that's actually kinda genius, for whatever purpose they've dreamed up.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Facebook Aunt posted:

There are two pipes, in and out. The water boils in the kettle and acts as a hot water source somewhere else.

The pipes look like it goes to a radiator and the pump looks exactly like the one that powers my home heating system.

My guess is it is a joke or a "genius" was of creating a single room heating system with what you have to hand

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is... that what I think it is? And if so, why go to all that trouble for just a couple liters? They could at least daisy chain several kettles in a row :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Very much suggests an adaptation from a tenant whose landlord is not interested in actually solving problems.
Just like how a headline that says "apartment fire caused by faulty space heater" usually means "apartment fire caused by landlord not providing adequate and safe heating"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
All fires can technically be reported as space heaters :eng101:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Buried inside a 4 year old house in Texas...

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I know where uranium and radon come from, was just wondering whether they're on, like, a commercially viable uranium deposit. Because googling for how high levels can get, I found this:

Edit:

You're not my real dad.

They might be. They didn't pull out.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Buried inside a 4 year old house in Texas...

What is this?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Danhenge posted:

What is this?

Same....I cant' figure it out. Looks like maybe an AAV?

It's also not clear what orientation it's in. Is this looking at a wall? A floor? I think a wall based on the 2x4 but that has to be strapping or something

I'm sure it's awful, there's just not enough context to know what's happening here. (I mean, the pex through the wood is our first clue of course but that looks l ike a post construction fix for something like a downstairs sink/bathroom if it's an AAV)

Motronic fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 19, 2022

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

They might be. They didn't pull out.

I'll be right back, I'm just going down to the corner store for uh... radon test kits.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Hey, the mystery switch is fixed! Whatever it was, my dad was able to fix. I can now turn on both my porch light and indoor lamp at the same time. Here's the diagram of the outlet, I wasn't around to hear the explanation so that will have to suffice.

The only mystery remaining is, "Why would they do that?" but some things must remain unknown.

Congrats! I was just thinking about that ol switch and if we'd ever see it working.

You mentioned a diagram of the outlet but that's the same diagram of the switches, is ther another diagram?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Motronic posted:

Same....I cant' figure it out. Looks like maybe an AAV?

It's also not clear what orientation it's in. Is this looking at a wall? A floor? I think a wall based on the 2x4 but that has to be strapping or something

I'm sure it's awful, there's just not enough context to know what's happening here. (I mean, the pex through the wood is our first clue of course but that looks l ike a post construction fix for something like a downstairs sink/bathroom if it's an AAV)

We're not sure. My guess was the same as yours except obviously there's a hot water line running through it. Weird hacked together solution to a mysterious problem or something else, no idea. Friends house, she just texted me the photo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

obviously there's a hot water line running through it.

Obviously there is a piece of red pex that was run to it. I don't see anything going out of it.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
First thing that crossed my mind was a well or sump pump of some kind. I'd almost lean well based on it being bolted down like that

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Duke Nukem Vaporwave

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tell me you swing without telling me you swing.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Dejan Bimble posted:

We're not sure. My guess was the same as yours except obviously there's a hot water line running through it. Weird hacked together solution to a mysterious problem or something else, no idea. Friends house, she just texted me the photo.

I'm guessing it was in the floor based on the loose debris sitting to the left, which only makes it weirder.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Honestly I expected more stripper poles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Crappy construction: Honestly I expected more stripper poles.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

j.peeba posted:

Duke Nukem Vaporwave

please..... the zillow link......

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That sure is some stained plywood.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

`Nemesis posted:

please..... the zillow link......

Here you go. There’s a handful of photos there that I didn’t bother to include. No stripper poles though.
https://www.etuovi.com/kohde/70016127

j.peeba fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 19, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just Winging It posted:

That sure is some stained plywood.

I'd assume most surfaces have stains if you use a backlight.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

j.peeba posted:

Duke Nukem Vaporwave

Glad to see BeastMasterJ's interior design business has found some clients.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I don't know

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

I don't know

:five:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
5/5 would hang that sign in my guest bathroom.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

j.peeba posted:

Here you go. There’s a handful of photos there that I didn’t bother to include. No stripper poles though.
https://www.etuovi.com/kohde/70016127

Something about the disco/wood/tasteful exterior/sauna combo screamed Finland to me; I'm glad to see I was right. :)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I...kinda like it. Then again, I spent most of my childhood in a brutalist-style house in Switzerland...feel slightly nostalgic

I mean, the shower tile is regrettable, and the color temperature on those lights has got to change (or the color temp setting is wrong on the camera).

That's going for $68K Euro?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Danhenge posted:

What is this?

Some sort of manifold for radiant floor? Sprinkler system?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I love the "grand piano" that's actually just an electric piano stuck in a box made to look like a B-grade 90s-game 3D model of a grand piano.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

PainterofCrap posted:

I...kinda like it. Then again, I spent most of my childhood in a brutalist-style house in Switzerland...feel slightly nostalgic

I mean, the shower tile is regrettable, and the color temperature on those lights has got to change (or the color temp setting is wrong on the camera).

Yeah. The decor is hog wild, but the building itself seems rather nice, in that "brutalist, but thoughtfully designed and with some unpainted wood to break it up" style.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i kinda like the finnish disco cabin

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That's, uh, concerning. So I guess there are natural uranium deposits?

Fun fact: the Earth has enough naturally occurring fissionables in its makeup that there is enough heat and pressure to keep the molten core spinning and generate a fuckhuge magnetic envelope as a side effect. This is what allows life to exist on the surface! Well, one of several necessary things. It’s necessary for some of the other stuff too.

We are nuclear people from a nuclear planet! It’s named Dirt.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Back in the 1800s, there were perfectly reasonable attempts to calculate the age of the earth given the radiative heat loss and current surface temperature - though I can't remember how they estimated the starting temperature.

These kept giving numbers that were obviously much to young compared to what other findings (like fossils and sediments) suggested, and this didn't really resolve until we discovered radioactivity and decay heat.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Back in the 1800s, there were perfectly reasonable attempts to calculate the age of the earth given the radiative heat loss and current surface temperature - though I can't remember how they estimated the starting temperature.

These kept giving numbers that were obviously much to young compared to what other findings (like fossils and sediments) suggested, and this didn't really resolve until we discovered radioactivity and decay heat.

And there is still a lot of science to be done:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/earth-s-insides-are-cooling-faster-than-we-thought-and-it-will-mess-things-up/amp

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Computer viking posted:

The Kelvin–Helmholtz mechanism

They tried to use it to explain where the Sun got all that energy it was radiating. The Sun defied their pathetic attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

PainterofCrap posted:

Yeah it's 68k euro. It's a cheap region but it's definitely below average there. It's rather concerning that there's no information at all on currect condition and renovation needs. It's standard info and it's almost never hidden even when the house or apartment is in a need of complete overhaul. Also the information on current condition is typically expressed on the scale of poor/mediocre/good but here that is written as "undefined".

That type of a house with the almost flat roof is quite notorious here. They used to be a fad for a brief period of time during late 60s-70s but were quickly abandoned since they don't handle the seasons very well and were prone to developing issues with moisture in the structures. I think stealthy roof leaks are also pretty common too. It's pretty common to replace the roofs with a proper gabled one. The steamy windows in the living room is alarming since it usually indicates that the ventilation sucks and/or that the air is very humid.

I expect that you'd have to tear the place down and do like a 90% rebuild unless a wet stanky lowpoly disco dungeon with mold is exactly what you've been looking for.