Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I am Harry, does your cat not eat plants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

Nice! Yeah, I still like my Sensation peace lily.

This is all that counts. gently caress plant snobs. If I like a plant I don't really give a poo poo if it's an expensive exotic or something I can get for $3.50 at a supermarket (unless it's a trendy exotic and then gently caress those instagram people for driving up prices).

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm thinking about getting a cat maybe. I'm thinking I have alright odds if I start with a kitten and make sure my plants always smell lovely to the cat. I'm probably wrong though.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 19, 2022

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

not since i covered the pots in every indian spice in my cupboard to stop them pissing in them.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Wallet posted:

This is all that counts. gently caress plant snobs. If I like a plant I don't really give a poo poo if it's an expensive exotic or something I can get for $3.50 at a supermarket (unless it's a trendy exotic and then gently caress those instagram people for driving up prices).

I'm thinking about getting a cat maybe. I'm thinking I have alright odds if I start with a kitten and make sure my plants always smell lovely to the cat. I'm probably wrong though.

Depends on the cat, and you're betting its health on it not suddenly deciding to have a munch.

I have cats and plants that aren't good for cats but I'm very careful to only put them in places that I'm 100% certain the cats won't get to them, and I'm lucky not to have particularly adventurous/determined cats. I also don't have anything that would pose a very serious immediate risk to their health if they did have a nibble.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Depends on the cat, and you're betting its health on it not suddenly deciding to have a munch.

I have cats and plants that aren't good for cats but I'm very careful to only put them in places that I'm 100% certain the cats won't get to them, and I'm lucky not to have particularly adventurous/determined cats. I also don't have anything that would pose a very serious immediate risk to their health if they did have a nibble.

Having had cats before I'm not sure there's any part of my house that is 100% outside of a cat's reach. One of my cats used to jump on top of the cabinets in my kitchen at the time which was 1 foot away from the 10 foot ceiling.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I have a few very leggy echeveria and jade plants. They have little thready roots(?) along the length of them. I want to put the tops into new pots - on the thread’s recommendation, I have some gritty mix.

Do I cut off the top two inches or so and put the stem with the rootlets under the soil? Do I leave them attached to the main plant, put a little pot with soil in it under the rootlets, and hope it takes?

I just want them to be happy in their new homes, and not kill them in the process.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ghost Cactus posted:

I have a few very leggy echeveria and jade plants. They have little thready roots(?) along the length of them. I want to put the tops into new pots - on the thread’s recommendation, I have some gritty mix.

Do I cut off the top two inches or so and put the stem with the rootlets under the soil? Do I leave them attached to the main plant, put a little pot with soil in it under the rootlets, and hope it takes?

I just want them to be happy in their new homes, and not kill them in the process.

I would just chop off the floret you want to repot and then give it a day or three to callus over.

Depending on how long of a stem you left you might want to sink it into the soil a bit, or just drop the floret on top of the dirt and let the roots find their way down.

In nature the plant is shedding leaves/pieces and breaking and falling onto the ground, and pretty much rooting where things land.

Don’t water the newly-potted plant as soon as you repot it. Put it under light and wait about a week or so before watering.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I would just chop off the floret you want to repot and then give it a day or three to callus over.

Depending on how long of a stem you left you might want to sink it into the soil a bit, or just drop the floret on top of the dirt and let the roots find their way down.

In nature the plant is shedding leaves/pieces and breaking and falling onto the ground, and pretty much rooting where things land.

Don’t water the newly-potted plant as soon as you repot it. Put it under light and wait about a week or so before watering.

Thank you!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm lucky not to have particularly adventurous/determined cats.
I have never had a cat as adventurous and determined as my current one. Silk philodendrons it is.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
If you want to transplant larger jade branches, especially top heavy ones, don't be afraid to prop them up with three stones around the base of the stem. After six months or so to let the roots establish a bit, you will want to gradually wean the new plant off of the support, moving the stones away from the base a little bit at a time to let it be a little wobbly to develop stronger anchoring roots.

If you're in the northern hemisphere, you might want to wait a month or so until doing the cutting/repotting. Even if you're in a temperate area or talking about houseplants, succulents are still very responsive to day length, so they will be more active and recover more quickly the further we get from the winter solstice. This is assuming you haven't been using supplemental lighting throughout the winter.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

If you want to transplant larger jade branches, especially top heavy ones, don't be afraid to prop them up with three stones around the base of the stem. After six months or so to let the roots establish a bit, you will want to gradually wean the new plant off of the support, moving the stones away from the base a little bit at a time to let it be a little wobbly to develop stronger anchoring roots.

If you're in the northern hemisphere, you might want to wait a month or so until doing the cutting/repotting. Even if you're in a temperate area or talking about houseplants, succulents are still very responsive to day length, so they will be more active and recover more quickly the further we get from the winter solstice. This is assuming you haven't been using supplemental lighting throughout the winter.

This is helpful info - thank you. I’ll wait a bit and find some rocks for stem support.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

We moved into our first home. It has a giant south facing sun room with skylights and also internal windows going into the large living room.
View from the living room:

And a video walthrough of the collection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCZfFVEzM241

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I got a cute little Cycas revoluta (sago palm) from Home Depot because they had some that looked decent for a song. It seems like it should be pretty happy in gritty mix, but I don't have any cycad experience. Anyone that can confirm/deny?

pokie posted:

We moved into our first home. It has a giant south facing sun room with skylights and also internal windows going into the large living room.

I can still see windows in the photo so clearly you need more plants.

Also your video doesn't work :(

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

No idea about potting them, but sago palms seem to grow very well in our sandy loam native dirt. It rains a ton here so I don’t think they need exceptional drainage or anything.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Wallet posted:

I got a cute little Cycas revoluta (sago palm) from Home Depot because they had some that looked decent for a song. It seems like it should be pretty happy in gritty mix, but I don't have any cycad experience. Anyone that can confirm/deny?

I can still see windows in the photo so clearly you need more plants.

Also your video doesn't work :(

What do you mean it doesn't work? I just opened it in a new private browser window and it's fine, so at least it's not a privacy setting issue. Other people can see it on my discord too.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

If anyone has a desire in their heart for a ponytail palm (Beaucarnea recurvata), Home Depot (at least around here, I've been to three of them in the last week, don't ask) currently has decent sized unchopped ones three to a pot going for $20 or something. If I didn't already have a circumcised one I'd snatch some up. The ones that haven't had the end hacked off look real nice when they grow out and they're often harder to find.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

No idea about potting them, but sago palms seem to grow very well in our sandy loam native dirt. It rains a ton here so I don’t think they need exceptional drainage or anything.

In ground drainage in my experience is a totally different beast. I have Opuntias and Cylindropuntias growing in my garden in loamy soil with a bit of perlite/pumice/whatever I had mixed in and they're doing fine, but they wouldn't be nearly so forgiving indoors. I'm just going to toss it in some gritty and if I can't get it enough water I guess I'll go from there.

pokie posted:

What do you mean it doesn't work? I just opened it in a new private browser window and it's fine, so at least it's not a privacy setting issue. Other people can see it on my discord too.

Maybe it's just me? It works if I copy the video ID from your post and put it in youtube but I can't get it to play at all embedded and clicking on it to open it in youtube doesn't work either.

I like your Dioscorea's trellis, though. Mine is currently/still devouring the blinds on my window. I may have a problem when it goes dormant and I have to untangle it.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 24, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

If anyone has a desire in their heart for a ponytail palm (Beaucarnea recurvata), Home Depot (at least around here, I've been to three of them in the last week, don't ask) currently has decent sized unchopped ones three to a pot going for $20 or something. If I didn't already have a circumcised one I'd snatch some up. The ones that haven't had the end hacked off look real nice when they grow out and they're often harder to find.

Did you say “three to one pot for $20”? How small are they selling them?

I picked up two—one chopped and one, erm—intact—from the HD in Avon over by IKEA right before Christmas—I first saw them in like November while getting some IKEA stuff and they had a ton of them.

$16 each, 10” pot, from two different local distributors—half chopped and half unchopped

I’ve never seen the individual trunks potted as groups.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Did you say “three to one pot for $20”? How small are they selling them?

I picked up two—one chopped and one, erm—intact—from the HD in Avon over by IKEA right before Christmas—I first saw them in like November while getting some IKEA stuff and they had a ton of them.

$16 each, 10” pot, from two different local distributors—half chopped and half unchopped

I’ve never seen the individual trunks potted as groups.

They're actually a pretty decent size. I'd never seen them potted as groups either, but they don't really have trunks yet, they're still at a size where they look like large bulbs.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Funny enough I saw the triple-ponytails last week at Lowes but not Home Depot. Costa must be shipping them all over. They're 3 in a pot, maybe 8 inches high after the pot, for like $25. I like the look now and I thought about buying but I'm just not sure how they'd do as such a tight a multi-pot? Would you have to try to separate them in some years? I've seen big ponytails with multiple stems out of one bulb/trunk but not multiple bulbs only inches apart.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

Funny enough I saw the triple-ponytails last week at Lowes but not Home Depot. Costa must be shipping them all over. They're 3 in a pot, maybe 8 inches high after the pot, for like $25. I like the look now and I thought about buying but I'm just not sure how they'd do as such a tight a multi-pot? Would you have to try to separate them in some years? I've seen big ponytails with multiple stems out of one bulb/trunk but not multiple bulbs only inches apart.

I dunno but I want someone to try. Given the way their stems form and how well they generally handle being under potted I'm guessing they'd be fine. They might even merge eventually? I guess you could split them right after purchase but it would be an interesting experiment to leave them tight. If you wanted to split them I'd certainly do it sooner rather than later.

Left to their own devices they don't seem to branch so the multi-stems that I've always seen are from them being chopped at the top so that they fill out (after which they usually form four stems on the corners of the stump).

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 25, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
AFAIK multi-trunk ponytails get that way via an initial trunk chop

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

is this what the trios look like?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Sort of. Thicker, flatter stems and a little further apart.

Ok Comboomer posted:

AFAIK multi-trunk ponytails get that way via an initial trunk chop

Same.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Wallet posted:

I dunno but I want someone to try. Given the way their stems form and how well they generally handle being under potted I'm guessing they'd be fine. They might even merge eventually? I guess you could split them right after purchase but it would be an interesting experiment to leave them tight. If you wanted to split them I'd certainly do it sooner rather than later.

Left to their own devices they don't seem to branch so the multi-stems that I've always seen are from them being chopped at the top so that they fill out (after which they usually form four stems on the corners of the stump).

Merging would be really cool. I'm just worried about them competing instead. I agree with the folks who don't like the look when they're chopped at the top. Chopped at the bulb to make the multi-stems looks nice, but you don't find them like that in stores, and I'd be scared to try it myself.

Ok Comboomer posted:

What I saw were a little bigger and the bulbs were further out of the ground like little pineapples, but yeah, roughly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

Chopped at the bulb to make the multi-stems looks nice, but you don't find them like that in stores, and I'd be scared to try it myself.

It’s super easy. They’re hardy as gently caress

You just chop the trunk at the bulb and new trunks grow around/near the wound site, bing bong

One of the big reason they’re chopped is for easy/cheaper importation from Latin American grow farms.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

Merging would be really cool. I'm just worried about them competing instead. I agree with the folks who don't like the look when they're chopped at the top. Chopped at the bulb to make the multi-stems looks nice, but you don't find them like that in stores, and I'd be scared to try it myself.

I wouldn't worry about them competing. They do really well under potted and are very hardy as long as you don't overwater them. You could ask the people in the bonsai thread, they might know how to encourage them to merge if you wanted to do it on purpose.

Ok Comboomer posted:

One of the big reason they’re chopped is for easy/cheaper importation from Latin American grow farms.

Interesting. I had assumed it was because they fill out faster and look fuller, sort of like nursery folks will prune back shrubs and poo poo to make them branch and fill out (and then the second year in the ground the lovely growth they force dies back and your shrub is suddenly smaller than when you bought it).

Wallet fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 25, 2022

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
You all are making me want to go back to Lowes and buy the Ponytail trio. I have too many plants already so I was hoping to just wait on buying any small ponytails and instead try to score a big one from Marketplace or whatever from someone who doesn't realize how much the value shoots up when they get larger. I just like filling my living room with palms and palm-likes because it's a nice contrast to Minnesota on the other side of the glass.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Can you explain this more? Do they chop the tops, then import them all rolling around in boxes like potatoes, then re-pot and let the foliage grow again before shipping to domestic stores?

Wallet posted:

Interesting. I had assumed it was because they fill out faster and look fuller, sort of like nursery folks will prune back shrubs and poo poo to make them branch and fill out (and then the second year in the ground the lovely growth they force dies back and your shrub is suddenly smaller than when you bought it).

Can you explain this more too? Isn't pruning shrubs to make them branch and out a normal and generally good thing to do? How are they doing it in a way that makes it "forced" and unsustainable?

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 25, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

Can you explain this more too? Isn't pruning shrubs to make them branch and out a normal and generally good thing to do? How are they doing it in a way that makes it "forced" and unsustainable?

It's sort of complex, and it depends. Sometimes you might want to prune a shrub to make it fill out, and if you're doing that while paying attention to how much of the plant you're removing, when you're pruning, and how and where you're cutting that's all fine.

A nursery is trying to get their shrubs as large and full as possible as fast as possible so they can sell them for more (or sell more of them). They're often grown packed in together tightly which makes the plants race each other to get taller, overextending the plant, and when they start pruning to force branching that only makes the problem worse. I've also almost never purchased a shrub (unless it was tiny) that wasn't in need of thinning out in the center, but no one is going to do that right before they try to sell a plant.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 25, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
And watch out buying plants from big box stores. The bare root trees from Costco can be iffy but cheap (3/5 have survived but one was my fault) but the stuff from Lowes and Home Depot isn't well cared for and really, really over-priced. I've seen generic (Red/Green) Japanese Maples for the same price a named cultivar would go for at an actual nursery and the prices for fruit trees seem to be the same or more than at a nursery, without the variety of choice and knowledge/time of the employees.

If you find a great deal and you know what you're doing then go for it, but just be careful unless you're shopping for a ton of arborvitae or boxwoods.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

And watch out buying plants from big box stores. The bare root trees from Costco can be iffy but cheap (3/5 have survived but one was my fault) but the stuff from Lowes and Home Depot isn't well cared for and really, really over-priced. I've seen generic (Red/Green) Japanese Maples for the same price a named cultivar would go for at an actual nursery and the prices for fruit trees seem to be the same or more than at a nursery, without the variety of choice and knowledge/time of the employees.

This is interesting. Where I am Home Depot/Lowes plants are definitely not well cared for, but for shrubs/trees they're generally one third to one half of the price I'd pay at an actual nursery and sometimes even less. They also regularly mark stuff down to 50% off as their stock is rotating, so if you time it right you can pick up shrubs that would be $60 at a nursery for $15 bucks. I got a Rhododendron that just barely fit in the back of an SUV for $90 this last spring that would have been >$250 at any of the nurseries around here that even stock shrubs that large, and I had to get an employee to cut it off the pallet so they hadn't even had time to abuse it yet.

For perennials it's more of a mixed bag—some things are only a little cheaper than an actual nursery, but there's often really good deals and sometimes they have things that no one else will sell at the same size/price; for example, the nurseries around here only sell hostas in gallon pots for ~25-30 bucks and I picked up a bunch of varieties for $4.50 in much smaller pots this last season.

Houseplants they massively overwater, so while they are generally much cheaper than buying the same plant elsewhere you really have to be careful that they haven't had it long enough to rot all of the roots off.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 26, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

This is interesting. Where I am Home Depot/Lowes plants are definitely not well cared for, but for shrubs/trees they're generally one third to one half of the price I'd pay at an actual nursery and sometimes even less. They also regularly mark stuff down to 50% off as their stock is rotating, so if you time it right you can pick up shrubs that would be $60 at a nursery for $15 bucks. I got a Rhododendron that just barely fit in the back of an SUV for $90 this last spring that would have been >$250 at any of the nurseries around here that even stock shrubs that large, and I had to get an employee to cut it off the pallet so they hadn't even had time to abuse it yet.

For perennials it's more of a mixed bag—some things are only a little cheaper than an actual nursery, but there's often really good deals and sometimes they have things that no one else will sell at the same size/price; for example, the nurseries around here only sell hostas in gallon pots for ~25-30 bucks and I picked up a bunch of varieties for $4.50 in much smaller pots this last season.

This (granted Wallet and I live in the same area).

I have like $200 in Satsuki azaleas that easily would’ve been $500-600 at a real nursery, probably $300-400 in American azalea hybrids purchased for $70-80.

with maples it’s even more stark. I have a dissectum that would’ve been like $350-400 at my favorite nursery that I got for $49 (50% off). I have a couple more $30, $50, and $90 maples that probably would’ve been two to three times their price somewhere more legit.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Welp the aerogarden order was cancelled as “being out of stock”.

Does inexpensive hydroponics exist?

EDIT: You know what, ignore me on the pricing with plants between big box and nursery. I haven’t been checking on a regular basis and I could have caught a sale or just misremembered numbers. I’ll stand by the rest about plant quality, care, variety and so on.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 26, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

EDIT: You know what, ignore me on the pricing with plants between big box and nursery. I haven’t been checking on a regular basis and I could have caught a sale or just misremembered numbers. I’ll stand by the rest about plant quality, care, variety and so on.

you didn’t miss out. Aerogardens are expensive toys for yuppie scrubs meant to be attempted once and then banished to garage storage until they get shipped out to Goodwill or sold for $20 to a curious neighbor

it doesn’t have to be prohibitively expensive to build a real hydro setup, you just have to be willing to 1) diy it 2) invest in the minimal equipment needed to do said diy. Like at minimum you’ll need a way to cut PVC pipe and drill holes in it, and in plastic bins. You’ll need a way to move the water around and keep it aerated. Etc.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

Inexpensive hydroponics is a DIY thing to do. Misters are more expensive, but using another method can keep costs reasonable. $1000 is absurd money for it. I put together a 5 tub system a few years ago for under $300. But once you get past that initial cost it starts producing food quickly enough. Aero garden could be a lot cheaper, but they’re popular and take advantage of it too.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I have wanted to do a DIY hydroponics setup for quite a while. Are there any good resources for how to create one?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I have wanted to do a DIY hydroponics setup for quite a while. Are there any good resources for how to create one?

The internet is full of them. Googling and reading lots of different things to figure out what method you want is where I started. Bulbs will have different needs than flowers from seed, and they’ll have different water/nutrient needs. It will really depend on what you want to grow for what method will work the best.

But anyone can start with a kratky method thing. Just find a container and a net pot to put it in with some nutrient rich water and see how it does. It’s a passive method, and is not a bad place to start and see how things work while you figure out answers to the what/where/how questions for bigger systems.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

man gently caress that thing. The most expensive parts of the following photos are the lights ($100), and the shelf ($50). Followed by air pumps ($15 each, one dual output can aerate 4 containers, each container holding one or two massive plants)

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Yeah me!

i am harry fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 26, 2022

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Nice, that looks great. I will do some googling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Good light $100
Shelves $50
Air pumps $30 ($15 each, one dual output pump can aerate 4 containers)
Air stones and hose $10
Containers $3 each
Metal tape to wrap the containers in and block light $7
Nutrients $30
Ph test kit $5
Rock wool and baskets to hang in the lids $10

If there’s a grow shop close to you they’ll have everything except the shelves, and led light which can come from internet.
target or walmart or an aquarium place for the pumps and air stones and shelves. I got the containers from home depot