Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Bob. Bob had bitch tits COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Guess his lungs look like... meatloaf

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Tulip posted:

the gently caress happened here

Education Minister Yifat Shasha-Biton said it was “a brave decision,” adding that “it would have been easier to close the education system, but our duty is to save every boy and girl” from the damage of repeated quarantines.

:hmmrona:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pingui posted:

Shot:

Chaser:

lmao

quote:

All 54 passengers, 36 of whom were diagnosed with Covid after arriving from Fiji last Friday, have now been quarantined and are recovering well, according to authorities.

A 1918 pandemic fun fact is the only nations that avoided the worst of the crisis like Japan and Fuji did so by using the low-tech travel ban strategy

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Victory wine etc.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-boris-johnson-health-europe-spain-1ab95ea43fa30bcb36f068c9a8664d12 posted:

Europe considers new COVID-19 strategy: Accepting the virus
(..)
The public also needs to come to terms with the idea that some deaths from COVID-19 ”will be inevitable,” Tranche said.
(..)
:dehumanize:

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
"Some deaths" have already happened you fucks!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zurtilik posted:

"Some deaths" have already happened you fucks!

You don't sound very accepting though. Be better.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Jesus christ on a cross made of crackers

dont' they have a 4 shot system? omg lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Gotta love it.

HR just sent out an email titled "CDC COVID-19 Quarantine and Isolation Guidelines"

It's a 7MB/ page .PDF file that was clearly just printed to PDF directly from, I assume some sort of screenshot of the CDC website.

You have columns split between pages, and at one point one like has the upper half of letters on one page and the lower half on the top of the next page.

The last six months this is basically COVID policy at work, half-assed abdication to whatever the CDC says, because actually looking into it is hard.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I do think about the 'true death toll' sometimes. Btw the Economist can crawl back into its ditch but I feel like it's the only publication that at least ballparked it. Although I think it's purposefully v conservative and the true true is actually like between 20-40 mill at this stage. We have no clue of real numbers anywhere but other social indicators are pointing to peeps slipping off the wheel. Wake up to find that you are the eyes of the world.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Gotta love it.

HR just sent out an email titled "CDC COVID-19 Quarantine and Isolation Guidelines"

It's a 7MB/ page .PDF file that was clearly just printed to PDF directly from, I assume some sort of screenshot of the CDC website.

You have columns split between pages, and at one point one like has the upper half of letters on one page and the lower half on the top of the next page.

The last six months this is basically COVID policy at work, half-assed abdication to whatever the CDC says, because actually looking into it is hard.

I know my company couldn't wait to change the guidance to just 5 days for quarintines

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Whoa...

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3164131/coronavirus-omicron-variant-less-severe-its-not-natures-vaccine posted:

Coronavirus: the Omicron variant is less severe but it’s not ‘nature’s vaccine’
  • Scientists say the highly infectious strain, seen as ‘mild’, should not be underestimated
  • They warn there will be more variants to come as it spreads, replicates and mutates

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

lol here we go, this thread is prolonging the pandemic by not going to applebees!

https://twitter.com/truthshamesthe6/status/1484274537005002752

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tulip posted:

the gently caress happened here

Israel's booster program ran August to October last year and then pretty much stopped, a lot of their boosters are 4+ months old now. They kicked off 4th boosters about 3 weeks ago but a lot of those won't have re-maxxed their titers yet

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...ca~Asia~CHN~RUS

Australia is about to overtake the US but they're currently both under 25% boosted which is a baaaaad place to be when you're daring omicron to punch you in the face

India, Africa and Russia are in all sorts of trouble

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bullfrog posted:

lol here we go, this thread is prolonging the pandemic by not going to applebees!

https://twitter.com/truthshamesthe6/status/1484274537005002752
How many more variants is it going to take before people shut up about herd immunity?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Israel's booster program ran August to October last year and then pretty much stopped, a lot of their boosters are 4+ months old now. They kicked off 4th boosters about 3 weeks ago but a lot of those won't have re-maxxed their titers yet

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...ca~Asia~CHN~RUS

Australia is about to overtake the US but they're currently both under 25% boosted which is a baaaaad place to be when you're daring omicron to punch you in the face

India and Africa are in all sorts of trouble

We also know for Omicron VE against infection seems to only last around 2 months, when for previous strains it was 4 to 5 months.

Most of the hilarious breakthrough stories for US politicians like AOC had a little info blurb how they had the 3rd shot in August or October.

mystes
May 31, 2006

etalian posted:

We also know for Omicron VE against infection seems to only last around 2 months, when for previous strains it was 4 to 5 months.

Most of the hilarious breakthrough stories for US politicians like AOC had a little info blurb how they had the 3rd shot in August or October.
Boosters aren't even that effective at preventing infection with Omicron at the peak of their efficacy. (They still massively reduce the risk of severe cases though).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mystes posted:

How many more variants is it going to take before people shut up about herd immunity?

Aleph-One

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Victory wine etc.

Inevitable, except in times and places where they have been evited. :thunk:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

made my bedroom into a positive pressure chamber and ive never slept sounder (and colder)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
A completely unsurprising graph for anyone itt, but might be interesting nonetheless:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/01/most-likely-catch-covid-new-study posted:

Here’s where (and how) you are most likely to catch COVID-19 as per a new study
(..)

(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
BA.2 getting the vaunted VOI designation in the UK (article in full):

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-designates-omicron-sub-lineage-variant-under-investigation-2022-01-21/ posted:

UK designates Omicron sub-lineage a variant under investigation

LONDON, Jan 21 (Reuters) - The UK Health Security Agency on Friday said it had designated a sub-lineage of the dominant and highly transmissible Omicron coronavirus variant as a variant under investigation.

BA.2, which does not have the specific mutation seen with Omicron that can be used as a proxy to easily distinguish it from Delta, is being investigated but has not been designated a Variant Of Concern.

"It is the nature of viruses to evolve and mutate, so it's to be expected that we will continue to see new variants emerge," Dr Meera Chand, incident director at the UKHSA, said.

"Our continued genomic surveillance allows us to detect them and assess whether they are significant."

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

"LF? What's that mean?"

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

lmao its a meeting of the loving minds in this thread

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1484515780792356864

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My current avatar ages like fine wine, but this is tempting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Been updating my wall

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Pingui posted:

Victory wine etc.

It's time we accepted COVID into our hearts

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Imagine the chaos if they really started naming it with Hebrew letters

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Goa Tse-tung posted:

"LF? What's that mean?"

I'm sure some math nerd will correct me, but it's my understanding it's the first number after infinity.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Education Minister Yifat Shasha-Biton said it was “a brave decision,” adding that “it would have been easier to close the education system, but our duty is to save every boy and girl” from the damage of repeated quarantines.

:hmmrona:

Come the gently caress on lmao

Pingui posted:

A completely unsurprising graph for anyone itt, but might be interesting nonetheless:

Cool and interesting

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1484195494909915141

re: model chat, yaneer reposted this paper on the limits and utility of modeling from july 2020.

quote:

But it is important to distinguish between what models can and cannot predict. All models’ assumptions fail to describe the details of most real-world systems. However, these systems may possess large-scale behaviors that do not depend on all these details (2). A simple model that correctly captures these large-scale behaviors but gets some details wrong is useful; a complicated model that gets some details correct but mischaracterizes the large-scale behaviors is misleading at best. The accuracy and sophistication of a model’s details matter only if the model’s general assumptions correctly describe the real-world behaviors of interest.

Carefully delineating models’ strengths and shortcomings will not only clarify how they can help but also temper expectations among policymakers and members of the public looking to understand the full impact of the virus in the weeks and months ahead. More important even than prediction is the ability of models to guide actions that can change this impact, including actions that can potentially drive the virus to extinction.

Understanding what models cannot predict is sometimes more important than understanding what they can. For example, in a chaotic system such as the weather, only very short-term predictions are accurate; small changes in the present can result in very large changes in the future. Likewise in the case of the pandemic’s trajectory: Because the number of infections depends exponentially on the growth rate of the epidemic, small inaccuracies in the prediction of the growth rate will lead to large changes in the number of deaths after enough time. Furthermore, the growth or decay rate of the epidemic depends on the precise implementation details of interventions, and a very small change in the strength of interventions could be the difference between two hugely different outcomes: exponential growth versus exponential decay. Gaining an approximate understanding of the trajectory of the epidemic is important. But given the considerable uncertainty arising from underlying disease and social dynamics—not to mention the uncertainty over exactly how interventions will be implemented—detailed refinements to models often create a misleading sense of certainty and precision.

More generally, trying to pin down details in models is futile if any accuracy gained is swamped by uncertainty in the measurements or by inaccuracies in the core model assumptions. What’s the point of refining a model by 10% if there is a 50% uncertainty stemming from other aspects or assumptions of the model? What’s the point of a sophisticated adjustment to a model if there is a relevant large-scale behavior of the modeled system that the model fails to capture altogether?

[...]

Finally, “What will happen?'” is a different question than “What should we do?” For COVID-19 the latter question is far easier to answer than the former. In the absence of a full understanding of a system’s details, answering the latter question involves understanding how our potential actions impact the relevant large-scale parameters of the system, which for COVID-19 are the rate of growth or decay in each region and the probabilities of transmission between regions.

The question of predicting the disease trajectory is less important than questions related to what’s necessary to 1) cause an exponential decrease rather than increase in new infections and 2) cause this decrease to occur as quickly as possible.

Even if we cannot precisely predict the impact of any given intervention, we know of many interventions that will reduce the rates of transmission within and between regions. And based on the empirical understanding of COVID-19 transmission and the fact that many countries have eliminated or nearly eliminated the virus, we know that combining enough interventions together will reduce the rate of transmission sufficiently to achieve exponential decline and stop the outbreak (7). This, in and of itself, is a simple but powerful formal model that captures the large-scale behaviors of interest.

This distinction is of particular importance because scientists often make predictions based on the assumption that societies are unwilling or unable to eliminate the virus.
It’s an assumption that’s been invalidated by the actual actions and outcomes in countries such as Australia, Belize, China, Estonia, Greece, New Zealand, Norway, Slovakia, Switzerland, Thailand, Vietnam, and many others, as well as U.S. states such as Montana and Vermont. These regions controlled their outbreaks and have had little or no community transmission at the time of writing (1). Furthermore, the assumption that the virus cannot be beaten without a vaccine can become a self-fulfilling prophecy; policymakers may not take doable steps because they are discouraged by purported scientific predictions.

More generally, the use of models in pandemic response showcases a key difference between academically relevant research and policy-relevant analysis. The former can tolerate assumptions and models that are exploratory in nature, increasing our knowledge of the wide range of conditions that might happen at some time in the future or some location—or even in an alternative reality—thereby increasing the scope of our understanding. The latter must focus on validated assumptions and real-world risk, including uncertainty in both our data and our understanding. Policy actions must be guided by only sound assumptions, because mistaken assumptions may cost millions of lives. Instead of assuming that we fundamentally differ from all of the countries that have achieved or are nearing elimination (an assumption that becomes increasingly implausible as the number of these countries grows), we should instead focus on how we can replicate their common success.

obviously, we did not focus on how we can replicate their common success.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

Inevitable, except in times and places where they have been evited. :thunk:

A lot of eggs think themselves omelettes.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Taking a break from this thread and COVID news generally as my kids getting infected significantly impacted my mental health. Fortunately everyone's still healthy 2 weeks out from infection and my post-COVID insomnia is likely due to *just* anxiety.

We are considering moving out of the city into a rental house and minimizing our exposure generally, including me potentially quitting my job to spend more time coordinating my kid's education and socialization online. This is motivated by our recent infection, the fact that COVID isn't going anywhere, has no problem evolving around current vaccines, reinfections are not unlikely and the long term impacts of any infection are potentially very serious. However I'm worried the motivation for this plan might stem more from my new anxiety disorder than a realistic appraisal of what's reasonable given the risk of COVID.

A question for other parents itt: did any of you try going for this minimal exposure setup including changing employment status and regret it? Has anyone found having their kids in school tolerable, even given the infection risk? We tried to make the city living work and I feel burned for it likely getting us infected, but I'm not sure how much I can trust my judgement right now. My wife is very supportive and open to this plan, but we both want to do our best to make sure it's a good idea.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

The Saucer Hovers posted:

the cards are a lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bullfrog posted:

lmao god how can he possibly get dumber. and yet it happens every week!

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?

facetoucher cat posted:

I hear you, and I agree, but have you considered cat belly?

this changes everything!

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Paradise by the Ventilator Lights

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Percentage of BA.1

vs BA.2

In sequenced cases in Denmark.

Total sequenced:

Source: https://www.covid19genomics.dk/statistics

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

Gotta love it.

It's not hard, they just don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Bullfrog posted:

Who are the "COVID cautious" people who won't leave Nate Silver alone

Are they accosting him on the street? if so, good.