Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Opioid posted:

What a strange stand for a table saw. Seems like it would be more liable to tip over

It's a pedestal that's meant to be bolted to the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Literally A Person posted:

What looks like a really sturdy 70's or earlier saw. Put that sucker in bench and it will serve ably for probably the next 50 years with some regular maintenance.

Needs or splitter or something yesterday though

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lowes has a deal of the day on those Metabo sliding compound miter saws you all like so much, among other things

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Thursday-o...OTD_Metabo_FW51

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Danhenge posted:

Needs or splitter or something yesterday though

This one of major concerns with buying an older used saw. In theory it’s just making a new insert and buy a $40 splitter kit.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Looks like Milwaukee finally put out a M18 mower: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-22HD/318995380

A whopping $1000 price tag, but in fairness, that includes 2 of their best 12AH HO batteries (~$250 each) and a double-simultaneous-rapid charger. Interesting that this is their first 2x battery tool, which I assumed wasn't possible due to others' patents.

Early reviews aren't impressed with the runtime/cost but seem to agree that this is absolutely the most powerful electric mower on the market. Given TTI owns Ryobi, they're probably keeping the cheap junk mowers (with all the tradeoffs for cost) in that line and going for the best they can muster with the Milwaukee line.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

B-Nasty posted:

Looks like Milwaukee finally put out a M18 mower: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-22HD/318995380

A whopping $1000 price tag, but in fairness, that includes 2 of their best 12AH HO batteries (~$250 each) and a double-simultaneous-rapid charger. Interesting that this is their first 2x battery tool, which I assumed wasn't possible due to others' patents.

Early reviews aren't impressed with the runtime/cost but seem to agree that this is absolutely the most powerful electric mower on the market. Given TTI owns Ryobi, they're probably keeping the cheap junk mowers (with all the tradeoffs for cost) in that line and going for the best they can muster with the Milwaukee line.

it’s also aimed mainly at professional landscapers. Push mowers are used in that context to clean up after big, very expensive zero-turn mowers, and power/speed is much more important than range.

https://youtu.be/MTny7sBJX1A

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Interesting choice if they're really going for the professional landscape market, I'm curious why they aren't just doing something like making an M40 line of 40V tools, instead of running 18V in series to deliver ~40V to the tool. You could say battery compatibility, but if it's gonna require a brand new pair of dedicated batteries, then what's the point of compatibility? Would you even be able to put a more "normal" 4AH battery into that, or is there a use for 12AH batteries in hand tools?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Dewalt does the same thing, it puts two big 20v in their mowers rather than flexvolts.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
OK that's wild to me since DeWalt already has 40V tools and batteries.

Battery voltage business decisions are probably not a rabbit hole I have the time to fall into though. I'll just say I continue to lust after the two stage electric snow blowers that user a pair of 40v or 50v batteries to drive them.

Hey how about an M18 fuel snowblower that takes 4 of those 12AH batteries?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

FISHMANPET posted:

Interesting choice if they're really going for the professional landscape market, I'm curious why they aren't just doing something like making an M40 line of 40V tools, instead of running 18V in series to deliver ~40V to the tool. You could say battery compatibility, but if it's gonna require a brand new pair of dedicated batteries, then what's the point of compatibility? Would you even be able to put a more "normal" 4AH battery into that, or is there a use for 12AH batteries in hand tools?

Ryobi has the 40v line, and they've been stepping up their game to compete with Ego after they pulled out of Home Depot.

Ryobi is aimed at the home gamer.
Milwaukee is going after the landscape professional.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is that running the 2 batteries for 36v @12AH or is it still operating them at 18V for 24AH? I'd think that at 18v it may not perform as well as advertised but who knows I'm not an electrical engineer.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

OK that's wild to me since DeWalt already has 40V tools and batteries.

Not to nitpick, but just as an FYI, the Dewalt 40V line is as dead as disco.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh the Flexvolt does 60V not 40V... OK I have real things to do today I can't fall into this.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

40V would be an entirely new battery line they'd have to get people to buy into, but tons of people are already invested into M18 and that line has plenty of tools that would be fine with a big 12ah battery. String and hedge trimmers, compressors, inverters, vacuums, etc.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh the Flexvolt does 60V not 40V... OK I have real things to do today I can't fall into this.

:hmmyes:

Tbf, the 40v string trimmer and hedge trimmer I have still kick rear end. Batteries won’t quit.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Is that running the 2 batteries for 36v @12AH or is it still operating them at 18V for 24AH? I'd think that at 18v it may not perform as well as advertised but who knows I'm not an electrical engineer.

I'm betting on 36v (40V if you're using Dewalt math), because there's a sticker that says both batts are required to run.

Voltage is really the wrong number to focus on. What ultimately matters is the actual Watts (Watts=Volts*Amps) delivered, and with respect to batteries, how many Watt hours a given battery can supply (its capacity.) The trick with running higher voltages is that you can deliver the same Watts to the motor(s) by running lower amps. This has some efficiency benefits, and it requires smaller gauge wiring, but it doesn't make that much practical difference in the end.

I was hoping Milwaukee went the Makita route (2 packs in series) for high-demand tools that absolutely require running the higher voltages. The Dewalt flex-volt nonsense is confusing and (purposefully) misleading.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I got the table saw, an extra motor and old delta drill press delivered for $80 total lol. Saw works but the wiring is loving terrifying. Someone put a suicide cord in it to connect the motor to the switch. The plugs in the Switch are expected those straight cut copper prong from the 60s.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

B-Nasty posted:

I was hoping Milwaukee went the Makita route (2 packs in series) for high-demand tools that absolutely require running the higher voltages. The Dewalt flex-volt nonsense is confusing and (purposefully) misleading.

I've landed in the opposite direction, I assume no one else is doing the Flexvolt thing because its protected by patents but anything that lessens the amount of $$$ and expendable batteries you need is ideal and that seems like the best way to do it. I was a big fan of Makita's 2x18v direction but a. it does make for some awkwardness in many form factors(look up their 36v angle grinder) and b. Makita looks to be abandoning it in favor of their new 40v line anyways.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s also aimed mainly at professional landscapers. Push mowers are used in that context to clean up after big, very expensive zero-turn mowers, and power/speed is much more important than range.

You seem to be confused. Landscapers use string trimmers for this. Not a consumer looking push mower.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Calidus posted:

I am ignorant what did find? It’s a craftsman 113.27700 saw. I just thought it looked like tank and fence looks usable.

That's from when "solid as Sears" meant something. Honestly, I'd say 60's and a classic.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

B-Nasty posted:

I dont do sparky stuff, what's the benefit to the 2pack in series? I've seen that on pushmowers and the batteries didnt drain the same which kinda seemed weird

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's from when "solid as Sears" meant something. Honestly, I'd say 60's and a classic.

Some light googling says the saw design is from the late 40s but who knows when it was actually manufactured. It also looks the saw originally had a 8” blade. So I probably replace this existing 10” blade.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Motronic posted:

You seem to be confused. Landscapers use string trimmers for this. Not a consumer looking push mower.

:shrug: I’m basing it off of Milwaukee’s own copy

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

:shrug: I’m basing it off of Milwaukee’s own copy

This is how consumer good are sold to dads who want PROFESSIONAL GRADE.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I dont do sparky stuff, what's the benefit to the 2pack in series? I've seen that on pushmowers and the batteries didnt drain the same which kinda seemed weird

This post before yours explained it:

B-Nasty posted:

I'm betting on 36v (40V if you're using Dewalt math), because there's a sticker that says both batts are required to run.

Voltage is really the wrong number to focus on. What ultimately matters is the actual Watts (Watts=Volts*Amps) delivered, and with respect to batteries, how many Watt hours a given battery can supply (its capacity.) The trick with running higher voltages is that you can deliver the same Watts to the motor(s) by running lower amps. This has some efficiency benefits, and it requires smaller gauge wiring, but it doesn't make that much practical difference in the end.

Edit: Regarding differential drain...All the batteries have the same nominal voltage, but in practice they'll have different voltages depending on variability in cells. When connected in series, they'll basically operate as if both batteries have the same capacity as the one with the smallest capacity. In particular, if you hook up an older battery that's experienced natural capacity degradation with a new battery, you'll get something closer to the run-time of the degraded battery than the new battery. For two new cells, whichever one has a higher natural capacity will likely appear to have a lower overall drain.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 21, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Motronic posted:

I mean I don’t disagree with you, but it’s a fairly uncompetitive product if the goal is for most of the sales to come from homeowners.

I’m sure two batteries will work for owners of smaller yards who want DA BEST but IDK how many guys with bigger yards are gonna drop $1400-2k on a walk-behind mower when EGO and RYOBI exist and would provide equivalent coverage for like a third of the price

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
What a good digital miter/level gauge? I think I have the right name for them...you know, the little electronic cubes with magnets on the bottom that can accurately tell you the angle of your table saw blade, check for level, etc...?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

mods?>!

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Took me 30 minutes to fix the worst of the wiring. I still might replace it all so it has proper ground wires between the switch and the motor. Thought at that point it’s probably easier to just buy a switch from Rockler and disconnect the original. The saw blade is an 8” blade and looks like poo poo, it’s probably due for a replacement learning to sharpen saw blades isn’t on my list right now.

The previous owner(now deceased, bought it from his grandson) replaced the motor. I have the newer motor and the original. The newer motor which is attached to the saw has a smaller pully(2 1/2) on it compared to the original 3” pully.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Elem7 posted:

I've landed in the opposite direction, I assume no one else is doing the Flexvolt thing because its protected by patents but anything that lessens the amount of $$$ and expendable batteries you need is ideal and that seems like the best way to do it. I was a big fan of Makita's 2x18v direction but a. it does make for some awkwardness in many form factors(look up their 36v angle grinder) and b. Makita looks to be abandoning it in favor of their new 40v line anyways.

The one nice thing about everything using standard 18V batteries (doubled), is that the tool doesn't require a special battery, necessarily. You could throw some 5AH basic M18 batteries in the mower, and it would work. Probably not as powerfully as using the HO types, but it would run. I'd imagine you could probably use 2 different types/capacity batteries also, if you needed to in a pinch.

I agree that the double battery form factor isn't going to work for most hand tools. Somehow, with the HO batteries, Milwaukee has managed to make most of their high-demand tools work well at 18v and one pack. It's nice to know that (assuming they go with the 2x battery approach), that any big HO 18v batteries you buy now will be usable for all their future high-demand tools instead of requiring new purchases of 40v or Flexvolt-like packs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I see landscaping crews use push mowers on slopes too steep for safe use of a big zeroturn

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I looked into it for quite a while and the big DeWalt push electric mower just sounded terrible by every review and article I could find on it. Since I have a middling size yard I just went with a 40 volt Ryobi and I couldn't be happier with it for what it is. The only downside to it is the blade is very lightweight and dulls quickly so you do really need to sharpen it every couple of times you mow. Also you really don't want to mow when the grass is considerably wet.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

DrBouvenstein posted:

What a good digital miter/level gauge? I think I have the right name for them...you know, the little electronic cubes with magnets on the bottom that can accurately tell you the angle of your table saw blade, check for level, etc...?

https://www.amazon.com/Wixey-WR300-Type-Digital-Backlight/dp/B00T6YZ0K6 this is the one I have.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I see landscaping crews using push mowers all the time in all kinds of contexts. Every landscaping truck or trailer in my area has both zero turn mower(s) and push mowers on it. Usually one person is ruding the big zero turn, then someone else is taking the push mower between trees and along gardens and in windy spots, and then a third person will be using a string trimmer in the places where that's necessary.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Motronic posted:

I'd guess that if this was *solely* meant to be used by Pros, (and dads who want the best!!!!!) they might have made it powered by their MX FUEL(!!!!!!!!!!) line. Which is for more heavy duty stuff. My work just picked up a battery powered jackhammer and will likely be getting a few more toys from them in the not too distant future.
Like they;ve got battery powered concrete saws, concrete coring machines for example.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't understand the logic that they think landscapers who have gas powered zero turn mowers and other equipment want to also worry about charging batteries constantly. If you could completely eliminate gas? Maybe, but why make your logistics way more complicated for so little benefit?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

I don't understand the logic that they think landscapers who have gas powered zero turn mowers and other equipment want to also worry about charging batteries constantly. If you could completely eliminate gas? Maybe, but why make your logistics way more complicated for so little benefit?

the plan is for battery powered zero turns too

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Ok Comboomer posted:

the plan is for battery powered zero turns too

How many 12ah M18 batteries will that take? That sounds like a nightmare of a charging station situation for a landscaping company. If it uses the MX FUEL batteries then it's even worse because now you've got two different types of chargers and batteries to worry about.

Just seems like a bad plan all around.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I can't wait for an 18v zero turn mower that requires 10+ batteries to run!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Some places in the US have passed or are passing legislation to ban gas leaf blowers. Battery powered landscaping tools are going to be a fact of life for many crews unless they want to switch to rakes.