Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Back to hardwood chat. I watched a few videos on hardwood installation last night and saw that all of them were in houses with plywood/other wood flooring and were being nailed in to place. As I live in a condo with poured concrete floors, can I expect that there is some sort of plywood or other type of stuff that would be below whatever vapor barrier/foam floor backing etc that is under the planks themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You can get hardwood floors that are meant to be installed "floating", i.e. not secured to the subfloor. That's what I did for my ground floor, because it's on a concrete slab. It just goes concrete, vapor barrier, floating floor.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

PainterofCrap posted:

You need to know what kind / make of stove it is in order to look up a manual, and research how it's made, how far it can be disassembled, and if the parts are available.

I have an iron Franklin stove built in the 1970s. It'll survive the heat of the holocaust because it's just screwed together wrought-iron plates.

My neighbor, on the other hand, has a Jotul with a fancy door gasket & beautiful tempered glass and bricks and probably vermiculite/equivalent insulation here & there. Now, the insulating material may survive just fine, but if the thing reeks like the ninth circle of hell because it got smoked out in a barn fire, it'd suck to find out you can't replace the insulating material or eliminate the odor of the End Times every time you try for a cheerful warm..

Yeah, if it's an old barn stove, it might be nigh-indestructible, but it also could be an absolute poo poo stove.

Older woodstoves aren't efficient. Newer ones (by "newer" the designs are still several decade old) have a secondary combustion and/or catalytic combustion chambers, improving both efficiency AND reduces the pollutants that go into the atmosphere. But they are certainly more than just "a big hunk of iron" so if it IS one of those, then some of the internals may not have survived the fire.

If this is going in your house as a main source of heat, I'd be weary of it. If it's just going to be another barn stove for you, just to heat up the garage in winter while you're working in there, then maybe?

But again "just" finding a new piece of glass might not be that easy or cheap, either.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

My fiance's 83 year old mother, who we live with, has a penchant for space heaters. I know, don't use space heaters, they'll burn the house down, but that argument has come and gone. It's her house, and all we can do is mitigate the issue. And the issue is, that she leaves the drat things on and walks out of the room and forgets. We have to constantly babysit the space heaters. Yes they have built in timers, no she is not going to remember to use the timers. She is going to press the power button, which sets the heater to max, and that's it.

Are these OG exposed element no protection ones or modern oil bath ones which have overheat and tipover protection? Because I would permanently break any that are the OG style. Have replacements on hand. I wouldn't expect 83 year old to put up with timers. Their fucks likely ran out 23 years ago for stuff like that, if not longer.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Leaky bathroom faucet! Getting some water leaks around the base (I haven't seen anything under the sink, in the bathroom cabinet), but the issue is that it measures 6 inches, and everything I see locally is 4 inches. Also this is a utility style faucet, because I use it for my Python aquarium water change system. The faucet is pretty old so I think I need a full new one, but I am not sure how to narrow down what I need versus what the store has. No idea of the brand of the faucet I have.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I have a sink disposal that started humming when turned on, and the blades aren't spinning.

I can reach in and turn the blade assembly with my hand.

I know there's a hex key socket at the bottom to allow you to force it, but I don't have the right size wrench.

Since I can move the blade assembly with my hand, is there even a point in trying to force it with a wrench from the bottom?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

me your dad posted:

I have a sink disposal that started humming when turned on, and the blades aren't spinning.

I know there's a hex key socket at the bottom to allow you to force it, but I don't have the right size wrench.

Since I can move the blade assembly with my hand, is there even a point in trying to force it with a wrench from the bottom?

Yeah, my MIL's sink did exactly that over thanksgiving and we went a (very annoying - it was loving thanksgiving) day not using it at all or washing dishes in that sink. She couldn't find the wrench before we left, but the update we got was that cranking on it fixed it right away.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

me your dad posted:

I'm guessing that, depending on the model, the blade might spin while the motor is jammed so finding the wrench and giving it a twirl will probably fix it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Beef Of Ages posted:

I'm guessing that, depending on the model, the blade might spin while the motor is jammed so finding the wrench and giving it a twirl will probably fix it.

Totally talking out my rear end, but that might make sense as a safety feature. If the blades can spin independently of the motor it's going to be a lot more possible to jam them up. Annoying if you're trying to feed entire carrots into your disposal, far less annoying if you accidently shove a finger or two in it. I mean, still not good for the finger, but the outcome would be less like a recreation in miniature of Fargo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I believe the "blades" (really impellers) freely spin. The part they're attached to also spins, that larger rotating part is the part that is actually jammed.

Called a flywheel in this diagram

Regardless, yeah if you get the humming, it's not necessarily dead. Here is a handy branded video for troubleshooting disposals, but step 1 for a humming disposal is to use the 1/4" hex wrench to jiggle the flywheel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhyNhgHldrs

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 20, 2022

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks all - this is encouraging news. I'll have to get a wrench.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

me your dad posted:

Should be 1/4” hex key

e: sorry leper, I skimmed your post and didn’t see the size first time through.

The Bandit fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 21, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah sorry by "hex wrench" I mean a "hex key" or "allen wrench" which are the same thing, isn't tool terminology fun?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah sorry by "hex wrench" I mean a "hex key" or "allen wrench" which are the same thing, isn't tool terminology fun?

Oh you mean toolbox ballast.

I try to keep a nice, even layer about 1/2 inch thick of them at the bottom to provide stability.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh you mean toolbox ballast.

I try to keep a nice, even layer about 1/2 inch thick of them at the bottom to provide stability.

Some snapped off when the breaker bar over-torqued them

Some ground down to create a "low profile" to fit in to a tight spot

A dozen of everything but the 5/32 and 4mm

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

DaveSauce posted:

Some snapped off when the breaker bar over-torqued them

Some ground down to create a "low profile" to fit in to a tight spot

A dozen of everything but the 5/32 and 4mm one you need right now

Fixed that for you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

PremiumSupport posted:

Fixed that for you.

No, I can find the one I need right now. In fact I can find four of them.

The only problem is that they're all pot-metal Ikea grade ones that have migrated to my toolbox over the years on the logic of "this looks like a tool, obviously it must be Cyrano's, I'm going to put int in there for him" and they've all been stripped round.

Meanwhile the nice set that I have (as well as the 2 or 3 OK-but-adequate ones) are all missing that one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Meanwhile when I'm looking for a cheap punch tool to snap off and cobble a quick pin out of the only ones I can find are the roll pin punches or the brass punches.

Then when I need a brass punch for something I won't want to mar the only thing in sight are the roll pin punches.

The roll pin punches of course seem to schedule their PTO for the two days a year I actually need them.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 21, 2022

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Meanwhile I'm horrible at putting poo poo away and over several iterations of dropping the twenty-year-old B&D tip/bit set of my MIL's, 90% of them have gone missing...including the hex tip that fits 99% of hex screws in our house, three PH#2 tips, and 2 PH#4 tips. :argh:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Just sort of venting about something very petty, but which is kind of baffling to me, and this may be the only place on earth where someone might be sympathetic.

My girlfriend really liked this doorknob, and while I'd never buy a Kwikset for an exterior door, I figured eh, it's fine for a bathroom. This design is blowing my mind though. It's hard to make out in my photo, but in person you can very obviously see the bare metal internals of the knob around both of the screws. It's just such an incredibly half assed finish for a 30 dollar 'designer series' knob. And it's even more baffling because rather than being like every other doorknob ever, where you put both knobs together, and then screw them together, this one has you screw a plate on the 'inside' side of the door to the outside knob, and then slide the interior knob on over it. Which means there's no reason for the screws to even be visible in the first place. They just put two holes in the cover for fun.

It's dumb enough that I was sure I'd missed a step, or screwed something up, but that's how it's shown in all their marketing photos too.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

There should be two little plastic covers for those holes.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

PainterofCrap posted:

There should be two little plastic covers for those holes.
Couldn't agree more, but there aren't, according to the instruction manual, parts list, and marketing photos.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What would be a cause for a wet carpet spot that isn't close to any window, bathroom, or appliance with a water line? It is a small spot in the spare bedroom, haven't seen any roof leaks.

No cat or dog urine smell or shine under a blacklight.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

What would be a cause for a wet carpet spot that isn't close to any window, bathroom, or appliance with a water line? It is a small spot in the spare bedroom, haven't seen any roof leaks.

Got any kids who could've stumbled in there with a glass of water/juice/etc?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Got any kids who could've stumbled in there with a glass of water/juice/etc?

Nope, no kids.

I'm worried it's a slab leak, but haven't seen anything in our water bill to show a water leak?

Not sure if I should cut up the carpet to see, the poo poo is old.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Cowslips Warren posted:

Did your accident prone neighbor accidentally launch an icicle through your window, destroying your high end audio equipment?

My guess would just be dilute, and therefore not very smelly, cat or dog urine. A lot of the diseases that lead to inappropriate urination also result in pretty dilute urine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
How long has it been around? I'd give it a chance to dry up on its own, maybe assisted by a floor fan, and if it persists, then you start cutting up the floor.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Does your dog drool when they sleep?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cowslips Warren posted:

If there is nothing above that room but the roof: look up

If this is in the basement: look down (slab)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

PainterofCrap posted:

If there is nothing above that room but the roof: look up

If this is in the basement: look down (slab)

No basement, this is Arizona. I wish we had a basement.

No ceiling stains to show a roof leak.

No dogs or cats get in here. This is the mouse/fish room, but no aquariums near the spot.

Carpet a bit damp. Not enough you'd notice unless you stood there or kept brushing your feet or fingers on it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

No dogs or cats get in here. This is the mouse/fish room, but no aquariums near the spot.

Carpet a bit damp. Not enough you'd notice unless you stood there or kept brushing your feet or fingers on it.

What's the humidity in the room like if you've got a bunch of aquariums? Any chance you're getting the odd bit of condensation dripping? Is it under a light fixture or anything else where water could be condensing and then dripping down?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

What's the humidity in the room like if you've got a bunch of aquariums? Any chance you're getting the odd bit of condensation dripping? Is it under a light fixture or anything else where water could be condensing and then dripping down?

Not very humid? I have fans aimed at the mouse racks. The spot is under the ceiling fan (no light) but I haven't seen any condensation anywhere in the room, it's usually pretty dry. The spot is near the center of the room, the aquariums are against three of the walls.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Does the room get a lot colder while you're asleep?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I have what looks to be a pretty old Sears/Kenmore garbage disposal (Model 175.605631 3/4 hp. I couldn't find the exact age of that model, but it is labelled Sears and Roebuck, so it's not recent). It turns on and spins, but makes a very harsh metal on metal sound. I used the key to turn it to try and shake the problem loose. It turns freely, but at one consistent point in the rotation, it makes a similar metal on metal sound.

My guess is there's something bent in there. I realize we're well past this thing's normal life, and I'm definitely open to replacing it (I recall disposal chat a few months ago by someone who had strong feelings about them, so recommendations welcome. EDIT: found the post I was thinking of), but given that we're considering renovating our entire kitchen in the next 6-18 months, which would include a new sink/disposal, if it is cheaply reparable, I'd lean in that direction. Is this something that is serviceable? Is it worth my time, or should I just replace it? What should my next steps be?

To update the thread on my previous question, I have now replaced both of those seized valves under the sink that I took a picture of last time.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 22, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There's no reason you can't transfer a new disposal you're buying now into a kitchen remodel.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

Is your main floor built right on top of a slab or is there a crawlspace beneath the affected floor?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Just go to Costco and get the one they have. It's nicer than any ISE for way less money.

Wasabi the J posted:

The Costco one owns and definitely acts like 1.25 HP.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?dept=All&keyword=garbage+disposal

I have a Costco membership, which one were you thinking?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

Is your main floor built right on top of a slab or is there a crawlspace beneath the affected floor?

No crawlspace, just slab.

Keeping an eye on the area. The temp does drop at night, but that's true for the house overall, we don't have the heater on.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

me your dad posted:

Costco also has the new compact 1.25 HP garbage disposal for $99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So we received a notice from our power company, they're working in our neighborhood and should expect no power for about 6 hours on Thursday. Which sounds great. We have a sump pump in the basement, but have no idea what we need to keep it running without power.

Is there something specific to these pumps we would need to look for? Or would a generator plugged into the pump do the trick? First time dealing with anything in this type of situation, so the simpler the better.