Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Khorne is dogs, Slaanesh is crabs, Tzeentch is birds and Nurgle is flies and the Emeperor is the old lady what swallowed them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

If by shady leaders you mean it's heavily implied they use pheremonal mind control to maintain order then yes.

This is one of two major reasons why the Far sight enclaves split off, and if I remember correct one of the read between the line reasons why battlesuit PTSD is a thing.
I'm not to up on the Tau. Is this different than regular PTSD? Do Fire Warriors not suffer from it?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Galvanik posted:

I'm not to up on the Tau. Is this different than regular PTSD? Do Fire Warriors not suffer from it?

it's like regular ptsd but faster

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Until they get another hit of that sweet sweet Ethereal musk to smooth out the harsh edges

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Galvanik posted:

I can't locate it now, but there was a couple things about battlesuit psychosis (as its cannoly know) that implied that at least some of the lumped in symptoms was a result of the tau within the air tight/filtered battlesuites realizing what was going on with the ethereal pheremones , and refusing orders.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Telsa Cola posted:

I can't locate it now, but there was a couple things about battlesuit psychosis (as its cannoly know) that implied that at least some of the lumped in symptoms was a result of the tau within the air tight/filtered battlesuites realizing what was going on with the ethereal pheremones , and refusing orders.

Ethereals controlling other Tau through pheromones has ever been confirmed or shown in some form or is still a theory? I'm not big into Tau and I don't remember if this is still a thing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

orphean posted:

Ethereal musk

Ah yes, founder of Tesla Battlesuits

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Ah yes, founder of Tesla Battlesuits

You have to admit mind control pheromones would explain quite a lot about that stock price.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

Ethereals controlling other Tau through pheromones has ever been confirmed or shown in some form or is still a theory? I'm not big into Tau and I don't remember if this is still a thing.

Mostly implications, the old Xenologis book more or less spelled it out but that book might not be canon these days. And Liber Xenologis just mentions that people are very much willing to die for Ethereals without getting into what's causing it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i bet if it comes bqck it'll be more of a low level psyk phenomenon

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I've just recently started reading Tau-focused works and I feel like the whole Ethereal pheromones thing is the midichlorians of 40k. It works perfectly fine to have the Ethereals' supreme influence come from societal conditioning and their own superb communication skills.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I've just recently started reading Tau-focused works and I feel like the whole Ethereal pheromones thing is the midichlorians of 40k. It works perfectly fine to have the Ethereals' supreme influence come from societal conditioning and their own superb communication skills.

It's like psykers being caused by electrical brain current in Eisenhorne Maleus, in that it will probably never be mentioned again

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Cooked Auto posted:

Mostly implications, the old Xenologis book more or less spelled it out but that book might not be canon these days. And Liber Xenologis just mentions that people are very much willing to die for Ethereals without getting into what's causing it.

I see, thanks. The pheromone explanation is kind of a janky explanation but who knows.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah thats always been one of the big mysteries. Demons have this weird fear of him that really looks like it goes beyond the mere fact he can give them true deaths (because a poo poo ton of other things can and they don't react as such to those).

The Emperor, for this purpose, is basically Nagash. He's a lunatic with a lot of power and an extremely defined goal for the future which he is obsessed with where Chaos is not a thing. If Slaanesh wins the great game temporarily, there is still room for the other gods to rise again and turn the tables. If the Emperor wins, he wants to flip the table and get rid of them permanently-no more games. So the Chaos gods in both cases are like 'well, poo poo, this guy is Bad News'.

(The Emperor is, in general, Nagash with a shiny coat of gold paint and being slightly more subtle about his megalomania.)

Also he may or may not have cheated the Gods out of a deal? Maybe? The whole thing was confusing and ambiguous.

Ethereal pheromones sucks and is bad. Things like the worm dudes they have or those 'translators' the Vespids have are actually thematic and work way better for Tau mind control if you have to go there! But I guess this is what GW has decided to go with-recently there was the 'Tau pheromone' scented candle(????) and a really awful Sisters of Battle vs Tau story where there was a bit that I think was meant to imply that the water caste dude was being mind controlled but it just read like he was really horny. I don't know. That story was really bad and I don't remember much about it.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Anyone got any early opinions on Krieg? Considering it

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Anyone got any early opinions on Krieg? Considering it

Didn't it just go up for pre order yesterday?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Didn't it just go up for pre order yesterday?

yeah, still no preorder on audible yet, but not even sure when it goes up on there. i assume next saturday

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Tchaikovsky this Saturday, I’m hype. Also enjoying “twice dead king reign” a whole lot.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just started the audiobook for Dark Imperium and I’m quite enjoying it so far. The discussion of creating a hospital world was rather interesting.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I now want a WH40K series (book, animation, live action, graphic novel or otherwise) that takes place entirely on a Hospital World.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wouldn't that be a Sister's of Battle shrine world with the Sisters Hospitaller?

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

I now want a WH40K series (book, animation, live action, graphic novel or otherwise) that takes place entirely on a Hospital World.

Arc Hammer posted:

Wouldn't that be a Sister's of Battle shrine world with the Sisters Hospitaller?

Well if you want a very horror style take on basically this, read Peter Fehervari's Requiem Infernal.

I just burned through most of the dark coil recently, and it lives up to all the hype.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndyElusive posted:

It was pretty interesting and talking about Robot Gorillaman’s mercy vs The Emperor’s Mercy and well also the entire concept of medical care for normal people via the Imperium is pretty wild.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One of Abnetts short stories in Magos? I think has that

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had a thought. Would a Krieger born as a perpetual be super depressed that he couldn't die for the Emperor or would he be super psyched that he could keep dying for the Emperor?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Arc Hammer posted:

I had a thought. Would a Krieger born as a perpetual be super depressed that he couldn't die for the Emperor or would he be super psyched that he could keep dying for the Emperor?

First one than the other. I mean dying multiple times has to take a toll on your psyche right?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Zil posted:

First one than the other. I mean dying multiple times has to take a toll on your psyche right?

You need some sanity to begin with for it to take a toll on you. Also a perpetual Krieg trooper means perpetual suicide bombing, fun times!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Angry Lobster posted:

You need some sanity to begin with for it to take a toll on you. Also a perpetual Krieg trooper means perpetual suicide bombing, fun times!

That makes me think of the horrors of a perpetual eversor assassin.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Zil posted:

Groundhog Day Eversor assassin tasked with killing the planetary government of a traitor world who keeps dying at the end and waking up X decades later with a new government back in power. Coulda sworn I killed this governor like 20 times already he wonders before wrying and exploding congress

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arc Hammer posted:

I have a t-shirt that reads "Die For The Emperor or Die Trying" and I believe that answers your question.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zil posted:

AAAAAA
*BOOM*

AAAAAA
*BOOM*

AAAAAA
*BOOM*

AAA-

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Zil posted:

Not sure. Would they regenerate with all their modifications?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Horrors? Look how happy he is! Serving the Big E repeatedly is like a case of amasec that always has another bottle, citizen.

Also:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Truly a one man apocalypse.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

On the tabletop, does an Eversor beat a spehss mehrine?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are they skull helmets or are they just skull people

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

NihilCredo posted:

On the tabletop, does an Eversor beat a spehss mehrine?

To be honest, I don't play tabletop and can't really parse the stats. Plus there's a ton of them (I just pulled out the base stats, without considering all the weapons and abilities). An Eversor has a lot of good attacks and hitpoints, but hardly any armor compared to a Tactical Marine.

https://wahapedia.ru/wh40k9ed/factions/space-marines/Tactical-Squad

M WS BS S T W A Ld Sv
6" 3+ 3+ 4 4 2 1 7 3+

https://wahapedia.ru/wh40k9ed/factions/officio-assassinorum/Eversor-Assassin

M WS BS S T W A Ld Sv
7" 2+ 2+ 4 4 6 6 9 6+

Movement: Base distance a model can move during movement phase.

Weapon Skill: Roll equal or higher to score a hit in close combat.

Ballistic Skill: Roll equal to or higher to score a hit with ranged attacks.

Strength: Stat versus enemy toughness (melee only) that determines your To Wound roll.

Toughness: Stat versus enemy strength (melee and ranged) that determines -their- to wound roll.

Wounds: The amount of damage a model can sustain before being removed as a casualty.

Attacks: Number of attacks you get in the close combat phase. Divided between your melee weapons.

Leadership: Value representing morale. After a turn in which a unit takes casualties, roll 1d6+number of casualties. Every point over Leadership causes a model to be removed as a casualty.

Save: Roll equal to or above to negate damage from one attack.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 26, 2022

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
That’s just the statline, and it doesn’t really tell the whole tale. Eversors don’t have a great armor save because their Lightning Reflexes ability confers a 4+ invulnerable which is significantly better. Between their other abilities and their weapons, the Eversor absolutely wipes the floor with an average Tactical Marine and if he gets into melee range could easily wipe out three or maybe even four in a single round without any serious consequences.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

As I'm pretty sure Gotrek can beat up tactical marines, I can endorse Gitslayer (I swallowed it up in no time. Unless you are scared of fungal infections, than I don't recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Last time I looked at the stats, Gotrek and Felix were 500 points by themselves and easily worth it.