Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It causes too many problems thematically with the franchise, to the extent we get stuff like OmniShoutmon while the show is displaying omega symbols that are now rendered meaningless. Between that and the parallels between him and Alphamon being lost, it's too much trouble than it's worth. Preserving that stuff and keeping it evident in the translation is more important than "what sounds cool".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Time for the yearly localization argument again i see

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Understandable. I can respect that. Still dying on the attack name hill, though.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

They certainly sound stronger that way, though it doesn't draw attention to the ties to wargreymon and metalgarurumon. I guess "grey sword" and "garuru cannon" could still be the names of the weapons and those are the techniques tho.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Now if only Bandai would make Citramon official

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The Bee posted:

I'm gonna out myself as a heretic here and say I think Omnimon sounds cooler than Omegamon, though the loss of the mirroring with Alphamon is kind of a shame. Transcendent Sword and Supreme Cannon are leagues better than Grey Sword and Garuru Cannon, though, and that one I'm not even gonna accept an L on because I'm right.

To be fair, Omni/Omegamon came years before Alphamon so their duality didn’t exist yet. It is a odd change to have made, however, even if I like Omnimon as a name.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Now if only Bandai would make Citramon official

I feel Sistermon Ciel isn't happening twice. It's a wonder she even happened once.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I feel Sistermon Ciel isn't happening twice. It's a wonder she even happened once.

Sistermon Ciel is a cute anime girl and the US practically handed her to Bandai on a platter. If anything I'm amazed they didn't make a bunch of other primary colored Sistermon variants to join her.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The fact that Blanc doesn't have a counterpart yet is bizarre.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The scene with Gammaon and the manjuu was extremely painful. Gammamon is basically a 5yo and having to explain death to someone that young seems downright impossible and also a shortcut to tugging at my heart.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The scene with Gammaon and the manjuu was extremely painful. Gammamon is basically a 5yo and having to explain death to someone that young seems downright impossible and also a shortcut to tugging at my heart.

So like the episode of Sesame Street where they have to explain the concept of death to Big Bird(or a more recent episode where they did the same for Elmo)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

The fact that Blanc doesn't have a counterpart yet is bizarre.

Sistermon Rosé is probably on the drawing board of someone at Bandai.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

quote:

Pomumon (BT9-047)
Rookie | Data | Vegetation

[All Turns] Players can't play Digimon by effects.

Holy poo poo

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

mandatory lesbian posted:

I still chuckle to myself that Creepymon was so bad that even the dub didn't go with it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Rookie rush is back, baby!!!!

mandatory lesbian posted:

I can't even argue for Diaboromon being a good name just to rile people up any more since Hitlersaurus Christ pointed out that Diavolomon is better than both.

Edit:

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

In hindsight it was probably supposed to be Diavolomon.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 18, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

girl dick energy posted:

Probably not. You wouldn’t want to rush away an important floodgate card like this.

quote:

Matadrmon (BT9-077)
Ultimate | Virus | Undead

[When Attacking] You may trash 1 card with [Undead] or [Dark Animal] in its traits in your hand to have this Digimon get +3000 DP for the turn.

[Your Turn] When this Digimon would Digivolve into a Digimon card from your trash, reduce the digivolution cost by 1.
Digivolving from the trash, huh

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

Probably not. You wouldn’t want to rush away an important floodgate card like this.

So this but with Nanimon then;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK0CL7bHbII

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

thetoughestbean posted:

Oooh, I love Monzaemon!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

We still don’t have an evolution for Gabargemon, a true travesty

The trash is the game’s term for the discard/graveyard. It’s better than the original card game which had your deck be called the Net Ocean and your discard be the Dark Area (Digimon’s version of Hades)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh, it's Vanity's Emptiness in Digimon form.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

girl dick energy posted:

I can't even argue for Diaboromon being a good name just to rile people up any more since Hitlersaurus Christ pointed out that Diavolomon is better than both.

yeah, I use Diabolomon. It matches the kana used and comes from the greek "diabolos" anyway. And it's close enough to the commonly used ones that I've never had anyone complain.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/bengineeringtv/status/1482834934167261185?s=21

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

He is remarkably Rogan-esque upon further reflection, isn't he?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
A bunch of cards got leaked from a magazine, not posting all of them, just the ones I think are interesting

quote:

Daigo Nishijima
---
[All Turns] When an opponent's Digimon becomes unsuspended in a main phase, you may suspend this Tamer to gain 1 memory.
[Your Turn] When one of your Digimon digivolves into a black level 6 Digimon, it gains <Blocker> until the end of your opponent's turn.
---
[Security] Play this card without paying its memory cost.

quote:

Maki Himekawa
---
[On Play] Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Add 1 [Tapirmon] and 1 black 2-color card among them to your hand. Place the remaining cards at the bottom of your deck in any order.
[Your Turn] When one of your Digimon would digivolve into a black 2-color Digimon, you may suspend this Tamer to reduce the digivolution cost by 1.
---
[Security] Play this card without paying its memory cost.

Himekawa synergizes with the BlackWarGreymon line and the DexDorugamon lines

quote:

Grademon
Ultimate | Vaccine | Warrior/X-Antibody
---
[When Digivolving] Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Add 1 card with [Alphamon] in its name among them to your hand and place 1 card with [X-Antibody] in its traits among them under this Digimon as its bottom digivolution card. Trash the remaining cards.
---
*Inherited:* [End of Attack] If this Digimon has [Alphamon] in its name, delete 1
of your opponent's Digimon with a play cost 5 or less.
There’s a Raptordramon as well, it just has the same inherited effect as Grademon. In Digimon Chronicle the line for Alphamon was Dorumon>Raptordramon>Grademon>Alphamon

quote:

DexDorugamon
Champion | Virus | Undead/X-Antibody
Digivolve: 0 from Dorugamon
---
[When Digivolving] You may trash 1 card with [Dex] in its name or with [X-Antibody] in its traits in your hand to gain 1 memory.
[When Digivolving] If this Digimon has [Dorugamon] in its digivolution cards or digivolved from the trash, 1 of your Digimon gains <Blocker> and <Retaliation> until the end of your opponent's turn.

So far there’s only one card that lets you evolve from the trash, Dracmon. The Dorumon from this set lets you discard a card with X-Antibody to draw two, getting DexDorugamon and co in the bin.

quote:

Dracmon

[When Played] Reveal 3 cards from top of your deck. Add 1 card with [Undead] or [Demon Beast] in its traits to your hand, and trash 1 card with [Undead] or [Demon Beast] in its traits. Return the rest to the bottom of your deck in any order.
---
Inherited: [When Attacking] This Digimon may Digivolve into 1 Digimon card with [Undead] or [Demon Beast] in its traits from your trash by paying its cost.

In the lore, the only versions of Death-X Evolution we see are from the DexDorugamon line and the Dracmon/GrandDracmon line.

quote:

Gaiomon/Samudramon
Mega | Virus | Dragonkin / X-Antibody
[Digivolve: 2 from [BlackWarGreymon]]
---
This card/Digimon is also treated as having [Greymon] in its name.
<Security Attack+1> <Reboot>
[When Digivolving] If this Digimon has a black digivolution card, 1 of your opponent's Digimon <De-Digivolve 1>. If this Digimon has a red digivolution card, <Blitz>.

We don’t know if the card is going to be called Gaioumon or Samudramon. Given that there’s cards that have effects if you have cards with “dramon”, like Ryo, I think it might be called Gaioumon. The Hackmon/Huckmon cards all got printed as Huckmon, but Vritramon got printed as BurningGreymon (this card is not a Greymon) so who friggen knows

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

God Samudramon is another god awful name.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

God Samudramon is another god awful name.

Which is why it is, thankfully, almost never used.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Geostomp posted:

Which is why it is, thankfully, almost never used.

This thread is the first and only time I've seen that thing called anything but Gaiomon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It was Samudramon in Digimon Fusion.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Samudramon started as a Bandai Asia name for it IIRC, in the D-Cyber?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I was going to say, you cannot blame that poo poo on us Americans.

I've only known him as Gaiomon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, it's impressive to think of how, not that long ago, MInidekachimon and Atamadekachimon were two of the most obscure monsters in the franchise, winners of a contest and having appeared in one obscure V-Pet and absolutely nothing else for years and years.

And now they got an anime appearance, were added to the DRB and even got DCG cards!
https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg/status/1484722487384444929

I'm proud of these two. They only need a game appearance now.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Episode 15: that was honestly kind of meh. Hindsight may be kinder to this episode when the show starts to cash in some of its chips, but for now it was mostly unexciting.

Angoramon evolved, which is what I expected and a long time coming. I don't think they put him over particularly strongly, but then again so far in the show the only evolved form that was really made to look powerful was, um, Gulus Gammamon so that could very well be deliberate… Again there is a certain through line of gentleness to this show as a whole so far. And on the other hand I actually appreciate it happened at the start of the fight, because obviously Ruli and Angoramon they are well past the point where that might be a struggle for them.

And speaking of Ruli the show seems to be leaning into a theme of keeping secrets and people having hidden sides to them in most of the recent episodes about her. It does make me wonder a little bit about her, because we don't actually know all that much about her background do we? We know about Hiro and his weird dad, and Kiyoshiro got his entire back story dumped out by Jellymon to mock him in his first episode, but Ruli's living situation seems a little bit more vague.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Omnicrom posted:

Angoramon evolved, which is what I expected and a long time coming. I don't think they put him over particularly strongly, but then again so far in the show the only evolved form that was really made to look powerful was, um, Gulus Gammamon so that could very well be deliberate… Again there is a certain through line of gentleness to this show as a whole so far. And on the other hand I actually appreciate it happened at the start of the fight, because obviously Ruli and Angoramon they are well past the point where that might be a struggle for them.

That's because all the spooky Digimon are way out of their league for now, but they just keep coming. This show had the first scary as gently caress Pumpmon ever.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

:lmao: what was up with that scene with Angoramon using a forklift to charge into the tent? With rubble falling from the "ceiling" as well. Feels like originally they were going to be inside a building and then rewrote it forgetting this part wouldn't make sense afterwards.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rudoku posted:

That's because all the spooky Digimon are way out of their league for now, but they just keep coming. This show had the first scary as gently caress Pumpmon ever.

The show really does seem intent of using the sheer menace of the random digimon to make up for the current lack of overarching plot in these early episodes. Still, they are using a lot of powerful Digimon so soon, meaning that they plot villains will really have to step up the threat level since Ultimates will be old hat by the point they show up at this pace.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Geostomp posted:

The show really does seem intent of using the sheer menace of the random digimon to make up for the current lack of overarching plot in these early episodes. Still, they are using a lot of powerful Digimon so soon, meaning that they plot villains will really have to step up the threat level since Ultimates will be old hat by the point they show up at this pace.

I mean, I don’t mind that for the most part but it would be nice if the show introduced a proper main antagonist at some point

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Larryb posted:

I mean, I don’t mind that for the most part but it would be nice if the show introduced a proper main antagonist at some point

I kinda hope Dracmon finds his rear end in a top hat human and does something.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I imagine it won't be going Young Hunters on us just from the episodes so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if this season de-emphasized there always being a big main villain behind everything.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Geostomp posted:

A lot of the Ultimates they show aren't necessarily beaten. Generally they're just driven back enough to listen to reason or flee and that's sufficient enough for the team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Xelkelvos posted:

A lot of the Ultimates they show aren't necessarily beaten. Generally they're just driven back enough to listen to reason or flee and that's sufficient enough for the team

I'll do you one further, getting the monster of the week to listen to reason or continue on their way is what the team wants.