Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The only square drive screw I've ever seen in person was in my rear left tire. If there's a part of the US where you can buy a doorknob or whatever and have it come with square drive screws, it's nowhere I've ever lived.

Not necessarily delivered with items, no, but the screws and bits are freely available online (and aren't all that expensive) and I highly suggest everyone take advantage of that. I've banished Phillips from my house and my life is so much the better for it. Can't even remember the last time I had a bit skip, much less strip a screw head.

As for slot head, just :lmao:, my good friend, :lmao:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I swapped all of mine to screwless cover plates which of course still have screws underneath but they're combos which are much nicer.

Also pick up a Wera (or similar) with the laser tip. Much better on both slotted and Phillips.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Also pick up a Wera (or similar) with the laser tip. Much better on both slotted and Phillips.

Yes, this is the way. I picked up a set of insulated Wiha drivers (I think it was here in one of the tools threads where someone pointed them out on sale) for my electrical bag and it's so much nicer to use a laser cut good quality driver.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

kid sinister posted:

Sir, this isn't a project to proudly pose with.

Gotta get your hot water somehow.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Binder clips! Just as good as Wagos.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

StormDrain posted:

I swapped all of mine to screwless cover plates which of course still have screws underneath but they're combos which are much nicer.

Of all the things to be magnetic, why aren’t cover plates? A decent magnet pressed into the underside plastic won’t fall off easily and takes just enough effort to remove without tools.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

screws are cheaper than magnets, and the stuff behind those plates isn't supposed to need user servicing.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

mr.belowaverage posted:

Of all the things to be magnetic, why aren’t cover plates? A decent magnet pressed into the underside plastic won’t fall off easily and takes just enough effort to remove without tools.

Childproofing comes to mind.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

MRC48B posted:

screws are cheaper than magnets, and the stuff behind those plates isn't supposed to need user servicing.

Light switch horseshoes would be a fun lockdown activity, though

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
A tumblr user tries to map their apartment; discovers Dr. Seuss' short lived architectural phase.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HelleSpud posted:

A tumblr user tries to map their apartment; discovers Dr. Seuss' short lived architectural phase.

Well now I want to see the blueprints. Is every unit like that, or is that the spear closet that was left over from the more luxurious apartments on either side?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Dareon posted:

Well now I want to see the blueprints. Is every unit like that, or is that the spear closet that was left over from the more luxurious apartments on either side?

I'll bet it's an old house that was subdivided into apartments and that every single unit in the building is like that or worse.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dareon posted:

I like how you think there were blueprints.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Hello old friend.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

a lot of these pics of hosed up stairs remind me of the houses im seeing while house hunting here in the midwest. a bunch of goofy angles that if you are trying to do a flip you arent going to fix because it would require someone with actual skill experience and talent to fix, so you end up getting a lot of hosed up stairways both upstairs and to the basement

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I did work in a house where the bottom 4 or 5 stairs leading up to the second floor were hinged, and you needed to flip them up to access the stairs to the basement. It would be wildly obnoxious to live with, but it was sort of a fun novelty.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Slugworth posted:

I did work in a house where the bottom 4 or 5 stairs leading up to the second floor were hinged, and you needed to flip them up to access the stairs to the basement. It would be wildly obnoxious to live with, but it was sort of a fun novelty.

Depends on how often you need to get to the basement, I guess.
Pluss, you can do the whole Munsters' Spot the Dragon under the stairs thing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Yes, the condensation is on the inside of the glass.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I know a dude who can sell you a dehumidifier.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

So what the poo poo happened? Does a shower vent into the server rack?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Must be the servers at Valve.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Bad Munki posted:

Must be the servers at Valve.

There it is.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i was always curious why they called it steampowered.com

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

weird thread to flex about your custom server watercooling but ok

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

My guess knowing data center systems is the humidity sensor for the unit serving that rack crapped out, so the unit started dumping steam in to raise the RH to setpoint, and nobody saw the alarm.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MRC48B posted:

My guess knowing data center systems is the humidity sensor for the unit serving that rack crapped out, so the unit started dumping steam in to raise the RH to setpoint, and nobody saw the alarm.

I'm not a server person. What are potential consequences of a server not being moist enough? This is not a thing I'd considered as a problem.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm not a server person. What are potential consequences of a server not being moist enough? This is not a thing I'd considered as a problem.

Isn't there a higher risk of static electricity at low humidities? AC dries the air out, so if it gets too dry they need to add a little moisture.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

binge crotching posted:

Isn't there a higher risk of static electricity at low humidities? AC dries the air out, so if it gets too dry they need to add a little moisture.

This is exactly right. It's very easy to damage electronics with static electricity when the humidity is low.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RUM hack posted:

weird thread to flex about your custom server watercooling but ok

This isn't how you're supposed to build an evaporative cooling setup.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
Absolute pro click right here, it looks so reasonable from the pictures right?
https://www.theplancollection.com/house-plans/plan-2396-square-feet-3-bedroom-4-bathroom-concrete-blockicf-design-style-9739

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Very convenient to have a sewing room right off the entrance. Also enjoying the room labeled "Train". Can't decide if it's a room meant for activities that are definitely training and not exercising, which is done in the room next door, or if they just expect everyone to have a model train room.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You're just jealous because your house doesn't have a train room.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Slugworth posted:

Very convenient to have a sewing room right off the entrance. Also enjoying the room labeled "Train". Can't decide if it's a room meant for activities that are definitely training and not exercising, which is done in the room next door, or if they just expect everyone to have a model train room.

The sewing room even has a bathroom!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

How do you get into that sewing room bathroom

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Elder Postsman posted:

More importantly, how do you get out?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

bonelessdongs posted:

The sewing room even has a bathroom!

That's a reaping what you sow room

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Elder Postsman posted:

Fire-pole from upstairs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Friend of mine used to be an archaeologist and one of the major reasons she quit was the outright hostility from and being jerked around by developers, who are required to get an archaeological survey done in much of the Bay Area for their developments.

The one that sticks in her head is the developer who was told that he was developing a site that was almost certainly on top of a Native American burial ground, continued, hit the burial ground, and reported nothing (which is illegal obviously). A passerby spotted a skull in a ditch and called the police, at which point my friend's company got called in - turns out the developer had just been bulldozing graves to the side to make way for foundations. And, y'know, there are still members of that tribe in the area (and in fact there's often a tribal observer at these archaeological surveys when it's expected they'll find something related to the tribe), so it's not just an academic "this is bad because it's beyond disrespectful to those who came before", it's actively making GBS threads on their descendants.

That developer's being sued by the county now, but of course who knows if that'll actually result in any real punishment.

The ex police chief in Victoria did this recently. Bought land that was absolutely known to be a burial site by locals. Only hired an archeologist after being repeatedly forced to do so and simply ignoring the orders. Hired an out of region firm with no expertise in local indigenous history and a reputation for rubber-stamping development. Even that firm came back and said it was incredibly obvious it was a significant burial site. Ignored the findings and just kept building his mansion. He's rich and former police chief so laws don't apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Slugworth posted:

Very convenient to have a sewing room right off the entrance.

You jest but every Monday I pack up my sewing machine and supplies into a giant suitcase (I usually have another tote bag and/or shoebox as well) and haul them off to sewing class and back again, so this would be quite convenient for me.