Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

HopperUK posted:

I was gonna say, I remember a lot of explicitly supernatural things happening because demons and angels are around, and not many dream sequences, but maybe I missed an implication somewhere.

There are definitely several parts where Thomas wakes up after a particularly intense bout of supernatural bullshit that are ambiguously dreams or reality. Especially as the book goes on though I was reading it as reality itself breaking down more than dream stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Uh, maybe you're taking it too literally. By "dream sequences" I lump together scenes where reality warps a lot, like hallucinations or visions. The way they're often described in fiction makes me lose interest fast. I do understand that there's an element of soul interaction or whatever in this particular case, but it doesn't make me more excited. Few things are as boring as people describing their bizarre nightmares, even if they happen to be "real", I guess. Maybe this is just me rejecting horror as an entire genre.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
thank you all for the recs on more alien books, lots to look at that I haven't read or considered before so I am stoked there

also put me down for despising dream sequences in books. there's only one thing that makes me start skimming faster and that's Original Song Lyrics lol. I even groaned whenever the dream sequences started in The Name Of The Rose

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

darkgray posted:

Uh, maybe you're taking it too literally. By "dream sequences" I lump together scenes where reality warps a lot, like hallucinations or visions. The way they're often described in fiction makes me lose interest fast. I do understand that there's an element of soul interaction or whatever in this particular case, but it doesn't make me more excited. Few things are as boring as people describing their bizarre nightmares, even if they happen to be "real", I guess. Maybe this is just me rejecting horror as an entire genre.

Oh gosh yeah, if you don't like that then I can see why you didn't like Between Two Fires, haha. The breakdown of reality and the failure of logic is a big part of what's going on there. Maybe more direct horror is more for you if you want that sort of feeling? Where the horror is like, monsters, or big rats, or horrid slugs or something, rather than the more existential stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

darkgray posted:

Yeah, that's fair.

Like, BtF is a very niche work. It's historical fiction set in a particular historical era and even more importantly from a specific historical mindset and viewpoint, the medieval mindset where religious war and Christ and the Devil were as real as grass, if not moreso. Not everybody has to like it!

I'm just a huge fan because there's very little else like it (some Umberto Eco; Susannah Clarke but in a different way) and I've read so much fantasy over the years that I hunger for genuinely novel approaches.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

darkgray posted:

This thread is making me feel very lonely in not enjoying Between Two Fires at all. Had to drag myself through it over weeks and weeks. Gloomy, repetitive, and I generally hate dream sequences, of which it had plenty.

I gave up on it somewhere between a third and halfway through when it was clear it was never going to hit me the way it did so many other others.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

darkgray posted:

This thread is making me feel very lonely in not enjoying Between Two Fires at all. Had to drag myself through it over weeks and weeks. Gloomy, repetitive, and I generally hate dream sequences, of which it had plenty.
I felt the same way, tbh. Even The Blacktounge Thief dragged for me in parts.

I really enjoyed the rest of the author’s work though. The Lesser Dead, Those Across the River, The Suicide Motor Club and The Necromancer’s House were all great reads for me.

Why yes, I do like urban fantasy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

big dyke energy posted:

If someone's never read Cherryh, where would a good place to start be?

The short answer is that my go-to starting rec is The Pride of Chanur -- alien space truckers find themselves with a human stowaway and concomitant massive political complications. Reasonably fast-paced, stands on its own but has sequels if you want more once you're done.

The long answer StrixNebulosa already beat me to.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

darkgray posted:

Don't read Blinding

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Bilirubin posted:

Don't read Blinding

I mean, I'm really not trying to be a jerk or unkindly intrude into the SFF thread but maybe your issue is with the quality of how such things are written? Like, have you ever read Virginia Woolf? Your stance would seem to rule To the Lighthouse out a priori, and you would be missing one of the most magnificent books ever written. Please help me understand your perspective a little better.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I forgot that skipped The Silver Spike by Glen Cook in my read through so I still got one more book in the Black Company series! Yay.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Bilirubin posted:

I mean, I'm really not trying to be a jerk or unkindly intrude into the SFF thread but maybe your issue is with the quality of how such things are written? Like, have you ever read Virginia Woolf? Your stance would seem to rule To the Lighthouse out a priori, and you would be missing one of the most magnificent books ever written. Please help me understand your perspective a little better.

It's not really a hard stance or anything. It's just rare that I happen to enjoy reading such scenes, but it's not like they make me drop a book immediately.

Maybe it's because I've never personally been haunted by dreams, usually completely forgetting about them within five minutes of getting out of bed, so when a character is describing their dream experience page after page in excruciating detail, there's always a little voice in my head going "Yeah, whatever, it's a loving dream, just get on with it."
It'd probably be easier to empathise if I was into dream analysis and such, but to me they're pretty much the brain's garbage collection, and I don't attach meaning to them.

Although I do occasionally have nightmares in which I crack or lose a tooth, and it's quite the fright to wake up and have to run my tongue over it to see if it's still in there safe and sound. Perhaps there's something to this genre after all.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fart of Presto posted:

If you are up for some trashy/pulpy post-apocalyptic reading, PC games seller Fanatical has a bundle just for you (3 tiers):

Deathlands Sci-Fi Novels Bundle (Vols 1-40) (3 of them also as audio books)
PDF format. Use Calibre to convert to ePub/Mobi

I believe I still have book 3, Neutron Solstice, somewhere.
I don't plan on reading it again, but back in 1987 when it got released, I immediately bought it when seeing the cover and reading the back cover

I didn't really have standards then...

Jesus Christ, I just saw on the Wiki page that there are 125 books in this series.

and if you bough the first FORTY books in this bundle, you'll be thrilled to learn there are ANOTHER FORTY-FIVE available to buy now

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/deathlands-sci-fi-novels-bundle-2

:eyepop: I can't imagine these are anything other than beneath-the-barrel trash..?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Player of Games (Culture #2) by Iain M Banks - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WM3HC2/

Dark One #1 by Brandon Sanderson - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FFQTNLC/
Graphic novel, quality unknown.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

and if you bough the first FORTY books in this bundle, you'll be thrilled to learn there are ANOTHER FORTY-FIVE available to buy now

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/deathlands-sci-fi-novels-bundle-2

:eyepop: I can't imagine these are anything other than beneath-the-barrel trash..?

Public library had a random rear end assortment of these when I was a kid. Definitely not good. Also definitely not for 8 year olds, although possibly written by a disturbingly horny one. Now that I think about it, might be some of the earliest sex scenes I ever read which might explain a lot.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

You know, if I wanted to read about a galactic war led by an undying emperor who is actually a modern guy who constantly makes references to ancient memes, I would read the other series.

You mean the Gideon/Harrow aka Locked Tomb books?
Really don't care about the mystery of the Undying Emperor's past in the Locked Tomb series, and found myself visibly losing interest anytime the Undying Emperor character was present or talking, so I'm essentially done with that series unless it does a massive swerve and doesn't expand on the undying emperors past & buried secrets.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Yeah, they're okay at best, not good but readable enough compared to "worse than self-published trash" like the Deathstalker series.

One thing I noticed when I read it was it felt like the authors would quite often introduce some technology or device or concept or whatever and then never mention it again in favor of referencing some movie or historic event or whatever. Like even the protagonist's super cool trench knife manages to start getting ignored after a while.

Nothing in the Sten books matched Daniel Keys Moran literally writing in Cheetara from the Thundercats so his one of his two self-insert main characters in Emerald Eyes could rail the hell out of her, but the CarnivorousCarebear Mantis team/Phoenix team member in the Sten Chronicles that existed for 4 books or so was sort of amusing in a "Carebears if they existed would be the best murderers in the entire galaxy".

The *secret* 50 billion dollar trench knife (which got even sharper around book 3) got mentioned a bunch in the first Sten 5 books then got ignored as Sten became an even more overt Mary-Sue; however the running gag of the Eternal Emperor eternally hating suckups and megarich people and therefore intentionally feeding them rotted garbage at parties he hosted & cooked for (before he came back wrong) was good though.

Sten Books 4+5 can definitely be chalked up to lingering resentment over Japan that got amped hard up when Japan's 1980's economic bubble kicked off.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, I recently finished up the Broken Earth series, and it was really good but there's one part of it I didn't really understand. This seems to be a good thread to inquire further into what happened to Schaffa exactly.

So, as I understand it, Guardians use the corestones to get superpowers but in exchange are always in extreme pain unless they do what the Earth wants them to do, and sometimes the Earth just steals their brains, and they immediately kill each other if they suspect this ("contamination") has happened. This is how it usually works.

At the end of book 1, Schaffa gets blown up, and he lets the Earth contaminate him in exchange for not dying, and his entire personality gets overwritten by the Earth and his memory gets wiped, but, then the new Schaffa still doesn't do what the Earth wants (until like the very last chapter anyway) and is still always in extreme pain because of it. What did the contamination DO exactly then?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

The Wall of Storms (Dandelion Dynasty #2) by Ken Liu - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BKR14LK/

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I read Between Two Fires on recommendation from this thread, and it was good, and I understand why it may not be everyone's cup of tea because there is some real disturbing stuff in the novel, but I did enjoy it a lot.

After I read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August , on recommendation from this thread sometime too I believe, and it was not just good, it was great, I loved it, wow, one of those novels that gets its hooks deep in you and it's all you think about and all you do is read in your free time until it's done. That's one that will stick in my mind for a long time.

quote:

Harry August is on his deathbed. Again.

No matter what he does or the decisions he makes, when death comes, Harry always returns to where he began, a child with all the knowledge of a life he has already lived a dozen times before. Nothing ever changes.

Until now.

As Harry nears the end of his eleventh life, a little girl appears at his bedside. "I nearly missed you, Doctor August," she says. "I need to send a message."

This is the story of what Harry does next, and what he did before, and how he tries to save a past he cannot change and a future he cannot allow.

That's the blurb, but if that seems interesting in the slightest to go check out a sample and read the first chapter, it's only a few paragraphs long, highly recommended.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah First Fifteen Lives is Great. If you enjoyed it I also highly recommend Ken Grimwood's 1980s thriller Replay which is more or less the same concept.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

can anyone recommend some lesser known one-offs or series that feature aliens, preferably not just being murdered by humans?

I'm reading the Damned trilogy by Alan Dean Foster right now and I really like everything with alien culture differences but I'm meh on the humans being the Only Ones Barbaric Enough To Wage War stuff

I've read a lot in the category, my favorite sci-fi series of all time is the Culture books, for example, hence trying to find less known stuff. Thanks!!!!

E: To try and think of some I've read that others probably haven't, one that comes to mind is John Scalzi's The Android's Dream, which I liked better than his Old Man's War stuff but never see mentioned anywhere.

I really enjoyed Madness Season which is a weird book which I think is a lesser known one by C.S. Friedman. It has lots of aliens and its long after a successful invasion of Earth where everyone just :shrug: at it as its the status quo so no desperate resistance or anything.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 27, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok, first fifteen lives pwns lol.

quote:

Then, “At last,” he exclaimed. “Something new to talk about!”

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finished it. Exceptionally good book, although I've seen that style of narration before. In fact it's kind of standard for what I will tentatively call a novel about an intelligence agent (is that a genre?), because I've seen it before, but those were in forgettable airport novels that didn't do it nearly as well.

8/10, prose is a little up it's own rear end in a top hat sometimes but I acknowledge that it's a popular style nowadays even if it irritates me and I tend to just skim it. And most of the book isn't like that. Only Tom Robbins is allowed to write like this without me knocking a point off.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm reading The Silver Spike by Glen Cook and its really good.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I gave Black Company another shot thanks to y'all. I don't know wtf was wrong with teenage me because I'm halfway through The White Rose and I loving love these books! Read The Black Company people.

It's awesome to see Cook stretching himself, in terms of craft, from book to book.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 27, 2022

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

I really enjoyed Madness Season which is a weird book which I think is a lesser known one by C.S. Friedman. It has lots of aliens and its long after a successful invasion of Earth where everyone just :shrug: at it as its the status quo so no desperate resistance or anything.

that's the vampire hiding in a group mind on conquered earth right?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

The Testaments (Handmaid's Tale #2) by Margaret Atwood - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KVLPYDQ/

Jade City (Green Bone Saga #1) by Fonda Lee - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRCBRX8/

Ashes of the Sun (Burningblade & Silvereye #1) by Django Wexler - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZ25BCX/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

branedotorg posted:

that's the vampire hiding in a group mind on conquered earth right?

There's a vampire hiding on post-alien-conquest Earth, and there is a group mind later, but the vampire isn't part of the group mind.

Fun book though. Doesn't seem to have as high a profile as her other work for some reason.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Fifteen Lives is enjoyable because it shows how hubris and procrastination can gently caress over anyone.

The Seeker ended up being uh something I guess. It was miles better than 17776 though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I finished Glen Cooks The Silver Spike. That's the last Black Company book I had to read. Now I have to move onto another author. Joe Ambercrombie , I may go back and reread the first law trilogy , I got his new trilogy's first book though. So I'll read that first.

Always feel a bit of melancholy at finishing a authors works knowing there's not anything after.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So the latest Asher was really good.
Less massive space battles with AIs, more xenomonsters.
The protagonist starts as a new born clone without any memory and then it quickly goes of the rails. More of a survival story than anything.
Standard Asher in many ways and familiarity with the Polity universe is pretty much required.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm really struggling to read Senlin Ascends. I should like it, I feel like I want to like it, but I just can't stand Senlin himself. A little bit too much insufferable naivety that carries on for so long now that it feels like there is a bit of change coming (I'm up to where he's working through the painting heist) that I'm going to be frustrated if he actually gets some common sense and a backbone that isn't built entirely on self-delusion. However I like the story, it's more being in Senlin's head that is the problem, and want to find out more about the tower and what's happening with Marya. I'm just not sure I can keep going with Senlin as he is, and pretty sure I'd be annoyed as hell to have him become competent after already not having any significant change up to this point. Is there a middle ground the author goes down on does Senlin adapt but down another path besides being more righteous and heroic without the cluelessness?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

nessin posted:

I'm really struggling to read Senlin Ascends. I should like it, I feel like I want to like it, but I just can't stand Senlin himself. A little bit too much insufferable naivety that carries on for so long now that it feels like there is a bit of change coming (I'm up to where he's working through the painting heist) that I'm going to be frustrated if he actually gets some common sense and a backbone that isn't built entirely on self-delusion. However I like the story, it's more being in Senlin's head that is the problem, and want to find out more about the tower and what's happening with Marya. I'm just not sure I can keep going with Senlin as he is, and pretty sure I'd be annoyed as hell to have him become competent after already not having any significant change up to this point. Is there a middle ground the author goes down on does Senlin adapt but down another path besides being more righteous and heroic without the cluelessness?
I'd say he loses a lot of his naivety and righteousness, but he does become a lot more competent. You get more POV characters as the series goes on, too.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
https://twitter.com/maxgladstone/status/1487174167820738565

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1487174882282594312

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

smdh looks like saunders has set up his sock puppets on twitter too :nono:

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Hollismason posted:

I'm reading The Silver Spike by Glen Cook and its really good.

i love this book so much - Smeds and his crew are like Cook went 'Shed was an awful person but was a lot of fun as a viewpoint character, let's set up someone Even Worse' and they're an absolute ride to hang out with. When I reread the series I go from Silver Spike to the books of the south and just grind to a halt immediately because nobody's as interesting.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

smdh looks like saunders has set up his sock puppets on twitter too :nono:

He's even writing other entire series and books under a different name and selling them on Amazon to throw us off.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

He's even writing other entire series and books under a different name and selling them on Amazon to throw us off.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Cardiac posted:

So the latest Asher was really good.
Less massive space battles with AIs, more xenomonsters.
The protagonist starts as a new born clone without any memory and then it quickly goes of the rails. More of a survival story than anything.
Standard Asher in many ways and familiarity with the Polity universe is pretty much required.

Which Polity book has the best space battle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I'm considering picking up The Meg series just to see how deep the rabbit hole of crazy goes. Please convince me otherwise.