Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

amy sedaris is the best addition to star wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
My face hurts from non-stop smiling.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Also, even though it's bad business, I love that Din's all 'it's on the house' when he's told it's for Boba. Not even mates rates. just straight up Mandobros poo poo.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I love when aliens wear workwear.

This dude was almost as cool as the cable knit moncal dude

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wanna know more about the Darksaber apparently having real weight if you aren’t using it properly. Is that something I’ve forgotten from the TCW eps it’s in?

I hope it isn't some garbage that will end up with Din being force sensitive

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

niethan posted:

I love when aliens wear workwear.

i love these hairless bulldogs

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
They don't go full TV-MA with the darksaber cuts, but after seeing so many lame lightsaber slashes in various games and Star Wars media it was nice to see it straight dicing through some bodies, most notably at the end of the fight during the opening scene.

I loved the bits of it scorching the environment around it during fights too. We got some of that in the Gideon/Mando fight, and shots like that have always been in Star Wars here and there, but it seemed particularly well done here and it has me looking forward to seeing Mando in more darksaber fights.

I'm putting my money (that Mando will refuse to take) on him learning some Lightsaber fighting strats from Luke when he goes to visit Grogu. It's a shame that I'm pretty sure Luke doesn't really know about his mother, since I feel like Mando showing up in a tricked-out Naboo Starfighter would get an eyebrow raise from Luke if he knew that.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 26, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's very lol-worthy that the best episode of the season doesn't even feature the titular character.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's very lol-worthy that the best episode of the season doesn't even feature the titular character.

I put on the episode expecting another snoozefest and almost slapped myself when I realized it was a Mandalorian stand alone episode.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Servetus posted:

He doesn't have a ship anymore. He is going to be taking public transit in his full armor, with the darksaber and his pulse rifle and the beskar spear, getting weird looks from everyone else on that space train.

lmao This was so accurate. The pulse rifle blew up with the Razor Crest, tho.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goddamn this loving ruled!!! Holy poo poo.

Seeing a frikken BD droid in live action - aaaaaaaah. And with the news from yesterday we will be getting a Fallen Order sequel too. Bring me Cal Kestis - you can literally hire the guy who voices him in the game.

And yeah, echoing what someone said earlier - all non-RR episodes have been stellar. Who is directing the next episode? We have 1 more before the stench of RR is back in the finale.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mando's midlife crisis. Sends his kid away to college and now feels empty in his life so he gets together with his old buddies to find a hobby restoring old hot rods.

Really good episode but it's proven that Star Wars tv is better when it's going for an episodic structure rather than a serialized structure. This episode could have been Mando Season 3 or Book of Boba Fett or just Star Wars: The Series. As part of Book of Boba Fett I don't think it's a very good use of the series limited runtime, but as an episode of Star Wars TV it's great. You can get away with making a couple episodes of a syndicated tv show into one shots starring different characters but when you've only got a season eight episodes long it's harder to justify. I already felt that season 2 of Mando was sidelining Mando himself in order to do backdoor pilots for other TV shows, so it's weird that now Mando is stealing time back from someone else's show.

Doesn't stop the episode from being really fun. Wizard, even.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Vintersorg posted:

And with the news from yesterday we will be getting a Fallen Order sequel too. Bring me Cal Kestis - you can literally hire the guy who voices him in the game.

Oh poo poo, I didn’t know about that. Awesome!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
BDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBDBD

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

fartknocker posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn’t know about that. Awesome!

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-respawn-ea-jedi-fallen-order-sequel-fps-strategy-xcom

quote:

Respawn Working On Three New Star Wars Games, Including Jedi: Fallen Order Sequel
Plus, an FPS from the co-creator of Medal of Honor, and a strategy game from former XCOM devs.

Can't wait to get hype!! It ran pretty bad on my computer as I just have a 1070 but I have a PS5 now and cannot wait to see what they do in the sequel.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Goddamn this loving ruled!!! Holy poo poo.

Seeing a frikken BD droid in live action - aaaaaaaah. And with the news from yesterday we will be getting a Fallen Order sequel too. Bring me Cal Kestis - you can literally hire the guy who voices him in the game.

And yeah, echoing what someone said earlier - all non-RR episodes have been stellar. Who is directing the next episode? We have 1 more before the stench of RR is back in the finale.

Apparently it’s going to be Filoni. Either that or Ep 6 is Rodriguez and the finale is Filoni’s.

Still kinda weird that the dude who did the El Mariachi trilogy whiffed so hard at another take on the “a lone badass stranger in the desert” story.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well that was great.

But it was episode 1 of season 3 of mando, so i guess you're poo poo out of luck if you only watch that and non booba show.

Unless they just make this episode 0 of season 3 in the mandalorian playlist. Of course they won't because they want all the hooks in all the shows to force people to watch everything.

Kinda sucks for Temura Morrison to be upstaged in his own show and not even appear in the episode.

And you can tell which show gets the actual budget and production design, it ain't book of boba fett.

Jerkface posted:

Give BDH her own movie / show - she has proven beyond a doubt to be one of the best directors of the star wars TV series.

Let her work with her dad and co-direct Solo 2 and 3 together.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 26, 2022

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wanna know more about the Darksaber apparently having real weight if you aren’t using it properly. Is that something I’ve forgotten from the TCW eps it’s in?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope it isn't some garbage that will end up with Din being force sensitive

It is explained in Rebels, in this training scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XhIED5ON1U

Remember, Mando is a stubborn cultist.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 26, 2022

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
This episode was so much better than the rest of the show it was almost comical. Can someone make a gif of the close-up of Mando where he sparks the darksaber? That poo poo RULED.

It's amazing how much more entertaining a show is when the characters have actual motivations and objectives, and make decisions based on their intelligence, and it is directed by a competent director. BDH did a great job, I am really impressed.

Two thumbs up, A+ for Mando S3 E01, now back to the book of Robert Feet and it's C+ content.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

drunkill posted:

Well that was great.

But it was episode 1 of season 3 of mando, so i guess you're poo poo out of luck if you only watch that and non booba show.

Unless they just make this episode 0 of season 3 in the mandalorian playlist. Of course they won't because they want all the hooks in all the shows to force people to watch everything.

Kinda sucks for Temura Morrison to be upstaged in his own show and not even appear in the episode.

And you can tell which show gets the actual budget and production design, it ain't book of boba fett.

The whole show is just one giant stop gap holding pattern to give them time to finish Mando Season 3 and let Pedro Pascal work on The Last of Us. There were people in Disney’s upper echelon that apparently didn’t even know the show existed until the stinger at the end of Season 2 dropped.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ishamael posted:

This episode was so much better than the rest of the show it was almost comical. Can someone make a gif of the close-up of Mando where he sparks the darksaber? That poo poo RULED.

It's amazing how much more entertaining a show is when the characters have actual motivations and objectives, and make decisions based on their intelligence, and it is directed by a competent director. BDH did a great job, I am really impressed.

Two thumbs up, A+ for Mando S3 E01, now back to the book of Robert Feet and it's C+ content.

It's this. A refreshing change from Boba Fett.

https://i.imgur.com/CHmgUjJ.mp4

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drunkill posted:

It is explained in Rebels, in this training scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XhIED5ON1U

Remember, Mando is a stubborn cultist.

Yep, was thinking of this training montage and Sabine struggling. Rebels loving RULES by the way especially towards the final season when it's elevated to godly status in the lore of Star Wars.

But earlier stuff is great too - love me some space whales. And it has Filonis REEK all over the place. In a good way. He got so much poo poo on this show that he just absolutely loves. The after show Rebels Recon go into deep dives for all episodes and have interviews with cast and crew. Such a complete show.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Vintersorg posted:

Yep, was thinking of this training montage and Sabine struggling. Rebels loving RULES by the way especially towards the final season when it's elevated to godly status in the lore of Star Wars.

But earlier stuff is great too - love me some space whales. And it has Filonis REEK all over the place. In a good way. He got so much poo poo on this show that he just absolutely loves. The after show Rebels Recon go into deep dives for all episodes and have interviews with cast and crew. Such a complete show.

It does, and I love that Filoni is just taking bits of it and pushing it into live action wherever possible. Plus live action castings of Rebels characters for new shows etc. He loves it.

And for those who haven't seen it, here is how Rebels handles the darksaber loredump about Tarre Vizsla which we saw in this episode of Mando/Boba Fett:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD9i6Du1u8E

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So this episode pretty much confirms that The Watch cult is definitely Death Watch in origin. The Mandos who picked up Din as a child were Death Watch back in Mando Season 1 but this episode seals it with the Watch being cloistered away on Concordia, the Death Watch home base, during the purge of Mandalore.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The whole show is just one giant stop gap holding pattern to give them time to finish Mando Season 3 and let Pedro Pascal work on The Last of Us. There were people in Disney’s upper echelon that apparently didn’t even know the show existed until the stinger at the end of Season 2 dropped.

It definitely feels like something along that way. Like they wanted to do a show that would exist on mostly physical sets they already had (or that they had already created virtually) to keep
their crews working and keep creating shows for Disney +.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

This was definitely the "hey isn't it great to own an OLED" episode of Boba/Mando :dogstare:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yannick_B posted:

It definitely feels like something along that way. Like they wanted to do a show that would exist on mostly physical sets they already had (or that they had already created virtually) to keep
their crews working and keep creating shows for Disney +.

It’s the streaming era’s first mid-season replacement show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think they should just scrap the themed shows approach and just do Star Wars: The Show with weekly adventures ala Clone Wars where you could watch a Clone Episode one day, an Ahsoka episode the next, or a one shot with a main ensemble member being a supporting character.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Seeing Ringworld come to life was cool too - the alternating day and night areas are a dead giveaway.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

The after show Rebels Recon go into deep dives for all episodes and have interviews with cast and crew. Such a complete show.

I was sorely disappointed we didn't get an in-depth BTS series for Resistance
Might've helped flesh it out a bit

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also lol this episode really puts the clown shoes to all those fake industry “insiders” like Grace Randolph who were like “Mando is over, Boba Fett is the future of Star Wars, Pedro Pascal is being replaced.” Mando saved this show from itself, and I say that as someone who actually LIKES this thing so far.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Went back through the episode to see a few things and I was startled to realize just how long it took to get back to Tatooine

This does not feel like a 50-minute episode and I mean that in a good way - same way some TCW episodes feel like twice their length

It's nice getting so wrapped up in it time just drops away

https://twitter.com/NthDoctorWho/status/1486353753624166402

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mandalorian S3E1 was a the best episode of the Book of Boba Fett so far.

They really jammed a lot more production value into this one that felt missing from some of the others. The orbital/ring thing was cool.

There was a ton of "remember this thing" in this episode but I actually liked how they did it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BD love gonna take off based on this episode alone. And it's well deserved. gently caress D-0. BB8 is cool but BD has so much more personality.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress D-0. BB8 is cool but BD has so much more personality.

:hmmyes::agreed:

Vinylshadow posted:

It's nice getting so wrapped up in it time just drops away

Yeah, I didn't want the episode to end.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

BD love gonna take off based on this episode alone. And it's well deserved. gently caress D-0. BB8 is cool but BD has so much more personality.

D-O being voiced by JJ Abrams and existing purely to hand the key to the climax of the movie to the characters and invalidate half the film in the process made me irrationally hate that little cone-faced gently caress. It is literally an avatar for what a goddamn hack writer Abrams is.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

Love love loved the not-Halo and that we finally get to see what happens when an ordinary, untrained Joe tries using a lightsabre (ie. they gently caress themselves up with it). Glad that the heavy weapon Mando survived, even they are a fundie arsehole. The T2 flashback owned, the Classic 'Car' Restoration owned, the episode in general owned even though it's completely disconnected from Boba's series and more a Mando Holiday Special that hasn't advanced the main plot at all. Also, lmao at Din having to travel coach, and being all "gently caress tha police" when asked to pull over. I feel bad for any bounties he takes though, not a lot of room in that astromech port...

So yeah, give Bryce a film or series if she wants, I've enjoyed all her eps so far.

Man, I wanna visit *that* space station, it looks so cool.

How quickly people miss episode 7 and Finn. I'm thinking that's just specifically for that weapon since it's mentioned in Rebels too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bryce Dallas Howard should direct Aphra's series imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Now THIS is podracing.