Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

mds2 posted:

Yes, the new one.

I have the recalled one. The gas hose blew out while in use. Otherwise, works great and its fun as hell.

Lol exciting, thanks. I hope I can contain the burn to the plan. Other torches were so much more expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

From reddit. DIY sawhorses. Overbuilt or under-engineered?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Vim Fuego posted:

Looking at it I'd say it's both

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Vim Fuego posted:

Honestly the first set I've seen that would support the weight of the horse that you're sawing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Vim Fuego posted:

What are they being used for?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vim Fuego posted:

To me, the whole point of sawhorses is that they're portable and easily made from some scrap lumber, something you knock together real quick. otherwise you might as well just use a workbench. if he had etxra 4x4 lying around i guess it's ok but i still wouldnt wanna have to move those around. Also I would have cut two sets of notches to fit a couple of 2x4s spanning across.

what did he use for the joinery?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 26, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

This.

I'd be worried about having a load on those and then just pushing at one from the side, seems like those legs aren't stable in that direction.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

To me, the whole point of sawhorses is that they're portable and easily made from some scrap lumber, something you knock together real quick. otherwise you might as well just use a workbench. if he had etxra 4x4 lying around i guess it's ok but i still wouldnt wanna have to move those around. Also I would have cut two sets of notches to fit a couple of 2x4s spanning across.

Gravity

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I found the post, and they claim mortise and tenons.

Not sure if I can link directly to the post, but:

He claims they can come apart, and it seems he's going to do timber framing and wants something that can support a ton of weight.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If he wants to support a lot of weight, he should have used more triangles. A 2x4 can support a ton of weight (maybe not literally), if it is properly braced.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Guy's got a good start on an old world style farmhouse table. Just sayin'.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^Agreed, waste of nice beams to use for work

To my great eternal Shame I realize they are 6x6 not 4x4 :negative:

DrBouvenstein posted:

I found the post, and they claim mortise and tenons.

Not sure if I can link directly to the post, but:

He claims they can come apart, and it seems he's going to do timber framing and wants something that can support a ton of weight.

Ok in that context, I presume he's gonna be taking them apart for transport and using them on site. I thought it was just for use within that work shop, which seemed silly.

But then the thought of loading up homemade unorthodox sawhorses with heavy timber stock kinda gives me the heebie jeebies. A single beam falling off after they fail would maim you and possibly kill you if there's nobody around to call for help.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If he wants to support a lot of weight, he should have used more triangles. A 2x4 can support a ton of weight (maybe not literally), if it is properly braced.

You're not kidding, I've put a literal ton ( ~20 24' 2x12s) on 2x6 horses without visible deflection. They really are amazing structures

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
They're a weird height for sure. Not quite bench height, no quite knee height (where I like to have my saw benches), but something in between? Also, seconding the engineering, it's just a weirdly wasteful design that probably isn't even as strong as a conventional saw bench. Timber framing may use a shitton of big members, but as you work them individually, you won't have more than what, 100ish kg on them at a time? At least that's my experience, built some saw benches after an old episode of the Woodwright's Shop out of 2x4s, and those held up fine chopping out mortises in 6x6 posts with the added weight of me sitting on them too.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Just Winging It posted:

They're a weird height for sure. Not quite bench height, no quite knee height (where I like to have my saw benches), but something in between? Also, seconding the engineering, it's just a weirdly wasteful design that probably isn't even as strong as a conventional saw bench. Timber framing may use a shitton of big members, but as you work them individually, you won't have more than what, 100ish kg on them at a time? At least that's my experience, built some saw benches after an old episode of the Woodwright's Shop out of 2x4s, and those held up fine chopping out mortises in 6x6 posts with the added weight of me sitting on them too.

They weigh wayyyy more than 100ish kg

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

^^^^Agreed, waste of nice beams to use for work

To my great eternal Shame I realize they are 6x6 not 4x4 :negative:

Ok in that context, I presume he's gonna be taking them apart for transport and using them on site. I thought it was just for use within that work shop, which seemed silly.

But then the thought of loading up homemade unorthodox sawhorses with heavy timber stock kinda gives me the heebie jeebies. A single beam falling off after they fail would maim you and possibly kill you if there's nobody around to call for help.

You're not kidding, I've put a literal ton ( ~20 24' 2x12s) on 2x6 horses without visible deflection. They really are amazing structures

My house is 116 years old and it wasn't fancy when it was built. All the joists are 2x6, rough sawn softwood and they're still in perfect shape.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have two pairs of gussetted sawhorses built on Paul Sellers's pattern held together with glue and two screws in each leg and I put literally my entire timberframe bench on one pair of them. More than the entire bench, in fact, because it was all of rough wood for the bench.

Shop-made 2x4 sawhorses own.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

An old guy I worked with on a job once cut a little deep on a cut on someone's homemade sawhorses with a circular saw and the guy was like THEYRE RUINED and the other guy said "not yet!" and then set it deep and went back and cut it in half and said "now it is" I still laugh at that circus of a jobsite

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

more falafel please posted:

My house is 116 years old and it wasn't fancy when it was built. All the joists are 2x6, rough sawn softwood and they're still in perfect shape.

Old growth softwood 116 years ago is a different beast than anything you can buy in a regular store today.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

An old guy I worked with on a job once cut a little deep on a cut on someone's homemade sawhorses with a circular saw and the guy was like THEYRE RUINED and the other guy said "not yet!" and then set it deep and went back and cut it in half and said "now it is" I still laugh at that circus of a jobsite

Lmfaooooo

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 26, 2022

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i'm amazed i got this old without thinking to put pink insulation foam under circular saw cuts as a sacrificial raiser

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I just saw through the saw horses :shrug:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Yeah, the idea of a sawhorse that isn't covered in cuts and paint and wood glue is really hosed up.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

yeah but the pink on a flat surface is good for breaking down big chunks of plywood and stuff that would otherwise lever or fall and crack from its own weight during a cut

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

SpartanIvy posted:

I just saw through the saw horses :shrug:

I have a sacrificial board on top of my sawhorses for exactly this reason. If I overcut by more than 1.5" that on me.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Bondematt posted:

I have a sacrificial board on top of my sawhorses for exactly this reason. If I overcut by more than 1.5" that on me.
Everyone should always add a second 2x4 on top that can be cut through all day without sacrificing anything important. Just remember where the nails are and do your best to not cut through them.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I have the stupid unfolding metal brackets that you slot some 2x4's into to make a sawhorse. I am constantly terrified that the tin they are made of is going to fold and a log is going to fall on my foot. I should just make some huh? I hate working around my crippling fear of losing my foot.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I have the lovely brackets and I believe that they'd be safe if I bothered to add a gusset or a crossbrace or anything. As it is they have yet to fail

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Vim Fuego posted:

I have the lovely brackets and I believe that they'd be safe if I bothered to add a gusset or a crossbrace or anything. As it is they have yet to fail

This is what terrifies most. I have used these things for years. I know they are planning. Waiting for me to let my guard down. Lulling me into a false sense of security.

I can hear them laughing

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Amazon Basics Hand Planes exist lol

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Making my second rip on my Craftsman table saw and it loses power and smells of burnt motor. Just grabbed a Dewalt jobsite saw with the wheeled stand. Hopefully it does me well. I really liked that Craftsman one, had it about 10 years. It was their Pro line so it wasn't too bad.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Literally A Person posted:

I have the stupid unfolding metal brackets that you slot some 2x4's into to make a sawhorse. I am constantly terrified that the tin they are made of is going to fold and a log is going to fall on my foot. I should just make some huh? I hate working around my crippling fear of losing my foot.

I had a set of those for years. Finally donated them to I forget who. They never did collapse, but I didn't overload them either. Handy for painting long pieces of trim, etc.
But yeah make some. No law says you only have a single set of sawhorses.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

A cheap set of foldable plastic horses is nice to have around.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
You: uses inexpensive and/or improvised platforms to hold your workpieces at a comfortable and safe height
Me, an intellectual: squatting on the ground like Gollum with a circular saw

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Me: "I wonder why my back and knees hurt"

Also me at home Depot looking at plastic horses
"$49.99? Do I really need these now? Naaa"

The following week: "God my knees hurt"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
One of my very favorite things about working construction was when some young guy would get hired and laugh at all of us for carrying around and wearing kneepads. That laughter stopped pdq.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Me, an intellectual: squatting on the ground like Gollum with a circular saw

replace this with a miter saw and i was this fuckin DIY troll a few weeks ago :getin:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

replace this with a miter saw and i was this fuckin DIY troll a few weeks ago :getin:

To be fair, unless you're doing a bunch of cuts it's a real pain in the rear end to set up the stand. At least the stand I have (old-ish dewalt).

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I am going launch my framing square into the sun. Why does this thing have 10th of inch on one side? Who the uses 10th of an inch? I know 1000th is used in manufacturing but who is using 10th of inch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Calidus posted:

I am going launch my framing square into the sun. Why does this thing have 10th of inch on one side? Who the uses 10th of an inch? I know 1000th is used in manufacturing but who is using 10th of inch.

Roof pitch.