Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Bryce Dallas Howard has absolutely benefitted from nepotism and probably wouldn't have had the opportunity to direct a Star War if her father wasn't Ron loving Howard. But I don't even care because she's actually a good director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

just want to point out that Mando's naboo starfighter handles "smoother than a Gonk's scomp jack" which means smoother than a gonk droid's dick.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You can’t gently caress a gonk droid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sedaris is gonna take that as a challenge

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Jerkface posted:

just want to point out that Mando's naboo starfighter handles "smoother than a Gonk's scomp jack" which means smoother than a gonk droid's dick.

:laffo: I missed that line

Gonk

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
If I were Mando and fluent in an extremely obscure language like Tusken, I'd never answer the cops in Basic, force them to have to weigh up whether getting a protocol droid on the line is worth the hassle.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If I were Mando and fluent in an extremely obscure language like Tusken, I'd never answer the cops in Basic, force them to have to weigh up whether getting a protocol droid on the line is worth the hassle.

That could backfire though. If they have to go to the trouble of getting a protocol droid, they're gonna drop the hammer on you for making them do extra work.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
That sure was 5 minutes of story dragged out ten times that.

Why did they do a one shot of him walking in and out of a pub?

Why was there two scenes of space customs weapons check?

Why did the new starship take like 30 minutes to build and test?

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 26, 2022

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

VagueRant posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

People are gonna be so mad about a dozen things in this episode and I just want every single one of them reading this post in the future to know how wrong and dumb they all are.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VagueRant posted:

So, no different from the rest of this show.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Give Din a BD unit

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The elevator scene where the space alien sees the armored guy has a head in a sack and scrupulously goes back to minding their own business was a great comedy beat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

VagueRant posted:

you gave away the troll with that last one

site fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 26, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the show is called star wars yet there are no wars between stars? feels like a waste of our time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They've already racially profiled him twice now, if he started speaking Mando'a he'd probably get ripped out of his vehicle and tazed.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TheBuilder posted:

Well, the Armorer is shown making chain links. He's going to get his own mithril shirt it seems!

Beskar earrings. Lots of them.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

seaborgium posted:

That could backfire though. If they have to go to the trouble of getting a protocol droid, they're gonna drop the hammer on you for making them do extra work.

You know, thinking about it, huge swathes of New Republic law enforcement are probably 'defectors' from the Empire. It's likely a terrible idea.

E:

Arc Hammer posted:

They've already racially profiled him twice now, if he started speaking Mando'a he'd probably get ripped out of his vehicle and tazed.

Yeah, exactly!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You know, thinking about it, huge swathes of New Republic law enforcement are probably 'defectors' from the Empire. It's likely a terrible idea.

E:

Yeah, exactly!

Again, this is probably why the First Order comes together so quickly and smoothly when Snoke rolls up and is like “Hey guys, I’m getting the band back together!”

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Half the New Republic is canonically nostalgic for the Empire and seceded to join the First Order as soon as they started rolling up with Star Destroyers.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
“It’s likely a terrible idea” is basically the New Republic motto. Just finished a brutal galactic war and at the end a sizeable chunk of the enemy force fled past the border and disappeared? Time to downsize the military by 90%.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I love that Din manages to do what most of us would do if we got dropped into a star war and got a lightsaber: injure himself biffing it trying to be a badass.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

I love that Din manages to do what most of us would do if we got dropped into a star war and got a lightsaber: injure himself biffing it trying to be a badass.

Would cut my own leg off inside of five seconds

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Owlbear Camus posted:

:lol: Exactly.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
loving loved it. What a great episode. honestly I've really enjoyed the hell out of Boba Fett so far. I was super surprised by this episode I was not expecting that at all.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can’t gently caress a gonk droid.

Not with that attitude!

The episode was good poo poo. Holy poo poo a loving Ringworld

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Holy poo poo a loving Ringworld

I wish we had a wider shot of that place. The scale of the buildings and width/depth of the ring just seems wrong for that thing to be a “proper sized” ring world, so part of me was curious if it was around some kinda artificial sun, like a fusion lamp or something.

Either way it’s a fascinating addition to the universe.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PantsOptional posted:

“It’s likely a terrible idea” is basically the New Republic motto. Just finished a brutal galactic war and at the end a sizeable chunk of the enemy force fled past the border and disappeared? Time to downsize the military by 90%.

The New Republic definitely seems to be following the League of Nations playbook.

Germany is defeated forever.

Yeah but what... Guys they're build tanks and fighting in Spain and

DEFEATED FOREVER OK?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Really the failure of the sequels is not exploring the corruption of the new republic giving rise to an extremist reactionary group trying to go back to the good old days.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it turns out putting leia and mon mothma in charge was a really bad idea

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

mdemone posted:

Would cut my own leg off inside of five seconds

That'd practically make you a Jedi washout, I think most of us would just decapitate ourselves doing our best Anakin/Maul impression.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I imagine it took all of that Beskar from the spear to make a coif that would cover Grogu's big rear end ears

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

VagueRant posted:

There's probably a few reasons.
One would be to make the environment feel more realistic. Obviously the elevator isn't real, but showing him getting onto it, riding it, getting off, going back in, and taking it to a third location subconsciously helps to reinforce that he's in a real location and actually moving around to different areas, rather than just cutting to him walking onto a bunch of sci-fi sets.
The second reason would be to reinforce his injury. Following him in real-time without any cuts helps to show how long he's actually going without any medical attention, and focuses the scene on how long it's actually taking for him to do things.
The third reason would just be to save time during filming. Especially in television, a good director will tell the story of a scene in as few setups as possible to help speed up the day.

VagueRant posted:

To reinforce how badly he needs his own ship. He's a Mandalorian bounty hunter - weapons are not only his religion, but he's being forced to separate himself from an important religious artifact that he just went to great lengths to hold onto. Not being able to move freely isn't just an inconvenience - it's a danger to his entire culture.

VagueRant posted:

It took 15 minutes, but spending time on it allows both the character and the audience to get attached to it for the upcoming season. It's also a way to show him becoming more individualistic. The Razor Crest was some generic military surplus ship, but building a new ship specifically for himself helps to establish the individuality he's been displaying, which got him kicked out of his sect.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Great episode but its pretty bad for the show that the best episode so far has had nothing to do with Boba. The TIE Bomber scene was amazing, SW is so much better when it expands outside of the same old stuff.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

eke out posted:

i love these hairless bulldogs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how the Armorer didn't mince words about what a failure Bo-Katan is to Mandalorians. She's a craven opportunist and an entitled brat who switches sides at the drop of a hat and ended up condemning her people to ruin because she didn't have the strength to actually lead, only the delusion that she deserved to lead.

She's like her sister, unable to see the rot in her society. At least Satine had noble ambitions, even if she was naive. Bo-Katan is just awful.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Guess he could put a small cache of stuff in the astrodroid compartment, but I wouldn't mind if he picked up a little droid companion in season 3 to fill in that space.

Hmm, if only Mando knew someone smaller than average who could fit in there now that it's been retrofitted to be a second cockpit, maybe like a former travelling companion who he spent the episode very clearly deeply missing, who would look absurdly cute sitting in that bubble peering around

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Hmm, if only Mando knew someone smaller than average who could fit in there now that it's been retrofitted to be a second cockpit, maybe like a former travelling companion who he spent the episode very clearly deeply missing, who would look absurdly cute sitting in that bubble peering around

carl weathers?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

site posted:

it turns out putting leia and mon mothma in charge was a really bad idea

Much like the Biden Administration in the real world, the New Republic is just the dead cat bounce preceding an even worse and more chaotically destructive blend of (space) fascism.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wish we had a wider shot of that place. The scale of the buildings and width/depth of the ring just seems wrong for that thing to be a “proper sized” ring world, so part of me was curious if it was around some kinda artificial sun, like a fusion lamp or something.

Either way it’s a fascinating addition to the universe.

Yeah. In the establishing shots you can see a bright light it corner of the frame, as well as the shadow panels, indicating it is just like the classic Larry Niven ringworld.

It looks much smaller than you'd imagine Ringwood / Halo to be however. Which makes sense in the Star Wars tech universe.

The weird thing was showing the shadow ring spinning super fast - like a day night cycle occurs every 10 minutes or something. You'd expect that to realistically be much slower , with the panels much further out so there's more of a gradient between night and day... but I suppose this way they could show off that cool effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

People are gonna be so mad about a dozen things in this episode and I just want every single one of them reading this post in the future to know how wrong and dumb they all are.

It’s a top 3 Star Wars tv episode as far as I’m concerned. Bryce should direct one of a main films if she wants to, she loving gets it.