Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Red Baron posted:

balloon animals but it’s my swollen dick and balls

Hey you can make some decent $$$$$ out of that

http://www.puppetryofthepenis.com/html_site/audition.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Speaking of elastomeric respirators do we have any Advantage crew in here? Can anyone recommend a model vs the Secure Click? I don't care about not having an exhalation valve since no one is going to listen to me when I tell them my big gently caress off mask doesn't have one anyway, so I might as well have one for comfort.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stereotype posted:

lol everything is such a stupid chaotic insane mess

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

mild and cases dropping
covid is fuckin over folks

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pillowpants posted:

BNO Deaths
Today: 3,061: 1 dead every 35 seconds
Yesterday: 3,554
1/25: 2,997
1/24: 3,028 - Day started with 1 american dead every 40 seconds, ended at 36
1/23: 301
1/22: 839 -
1/21: 3,896 - 1 American dead every 43 seconds to start day, ended at 41
1/20: 2.446

20,122 people have died of COVID in the past 8 days.

20,122 people have died of COVID in the past 8 days.

214,196 have been admitted to a hospital with COVID in the past 8 days.
it's alright, the peak is over

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

most develop 4-8 weeks after acute

went to find the original tweet and came up on,
https://twitter.com/jenbrea/status/1471247882237841411
https://twitter.com/jencurtinmd/status/1481367410691100673
https://twitter.com/fearnley_k/status/1472273232216707074
https://twitter.com/educationpalmer/status/1471432664443990018
just loving gently caress

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

lmao how did we miss this.

https://twitter.com/BBCScotlandNews/status/1485248628167954435?s=20&t=pNm6z61ooCLxjD5CShb1Lw

Scotland is doing the colored wristband thing but with yellow badges. Also it's government sponsored instead of some weird HR thing.
hahaha

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Morbus posted:

I mean, when a vaccine has low efficacy, it's inevitable that, for purely statistical reasons, your confidence interval will dip into the negatives. Like, if your actual VE is exactly zero, your CI ought to extend equally into the negative and positive. Since the mean VE for BA.2 in the 25+ wk cohort is notably lovely, it makes sense that if your CI is that broad (66 pt span lol), a lot of it will be in the negatives. So I don't think it should be taken as evidence for ADE or anything spicy like that.

Still funny though, lol

The span for BA.1 is 3, the span for BA.2 is 66. At 95% confidence. The study is also looking at similar population sample sizes for comparing both diseases. That seems pretty spicy.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

doesn’t the fresh air smell so sweeter without our masks?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

cr0y posted:

I really don't know how to feel about this

ehhhhhh honestly feel alright about it
my kids have been living with this poo poo for the past 2+ years, and they need to understand it
lol my eldest has lived with covid for 1/3rd of their life, my toddler for drat near 80% of it
because of my talks with my eldest, they understand the need to wear their mask in public
hell it's the reason why my toddler is so loving on point with their mask usage
going outside without a mask?? what are you going to go outside without shoes??? without a jacket if it's cold?? what's wrong with you????
:theroni:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Morbus posted:

So I'm not 100% sure about which particular study this factoid is referencing. But I'm pretty sure it's this one:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC2787736/

They serially passaged SARS-CoV1 through mice for which the virus is not lethal. This produced mouse-adapted strains that were increasingly virulent. Eventually, a highly lethal strain was produced that killed all the mice who were infected with an inoculum size that produced zero deaths in the original strain.

So the result wasn't that "serial reinfection with the same relatively non-lethal SARS-CoV eventually kills all the mice", it was that "if you keep loving around, you may eventually produce a very lethal strain"

idk maybe I'm wrong, but I think the whole "all the mice dead after X infections" is a misinterpretation / gradual distortion of this paper.

While I don't think everyone on the planet is going to die in 5 years or anything, it does still show that we shouldn't be letting the virus incubate and mutate in literally millions and millions of cases over and over.

And on a personal level I really do not want to be constantly rolling the dice on whether any given infection gets cleared without problem or whether one ends up being severe or leading to long covid or whatever in time for the next one. It's absolutely crazy to me that people are just pushing for open biden and return to normal and all that, that's not how any of this works!

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

long covid is most common in mild acute cases??

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

4th shot trip report

I got a main course of Pfizer back in April, and then a full size Moderna shot as my booster in Aug. Shots 2&3 both kicked my rear end, with chills, some muscle aches, minor headaches, and generally feeling like poo poo for a day. By +24 hours I was feeling functional again, and by +36 hours I was back to normal. I experienced roughly the same results from the Moderna booster as shot #4.

I booked appointments for my partner and I at the same retail pharmacy chain where we got our main course of vaccines. Went with getting a Moderna booster under our real names, mostly for convenience, and being able to officially say we're boosted, if that ever comes up. The pharmacy was pretty busy with phone calls and 3 walk-ups collecting prescriptions(dicknoser, cloth mask, and surgical mask) only the pharmacist (surgical mask) and one technician(surgical mask) were working there and the phone was going nuts. We were checked in and there on time, but it was 15 minutes before the tech was able to get to us. Definitely seeing the stress on them from being overworked due to *waves arms at everything*.

The tech asked for our IDs and vax card, and my partner thought she forgot her vax card, and he was going to turn her away until she could provide one. Luckily she found it buried in her purse. Then another 10 minutes of waiting for the pharmacist, he confirmed that we were getting Moderna boosters (Pfizer shots were across the street). Then he asked us which arm we wanted the shot in, and marked it on our vax cards. First time I've seen that. After a bit of waiting in the privacy screen vax booth, I finally got my shot. I think he jabbed me twice, (hit a vein the first time?) and there was a lot more blood on the band aid than normal when I finally took it off the next day.

After the shot he went over the usual list of common side effects, what meds to take, etc. He also held our vax cards for the 10 minute observation period to keep us there. The other 3 times we were basically free to leave at any time and didn't have to check in with anyone before leaving. I tried moving my arm and massaging the injection site a bit while waiting. I have no idea if this does anything to reduce arm soreness, it 'worked' for me once, and hasn't worked twice. I'm not going to do it for shot #5 because my arm hurt pretty bad this time.

-24H: I make a big pot of stew in preparation for not wanted to cook or do anything the next day. Prep something you want to eat while sick, and that can be eaten without much effort, really helps during the worst of it.

+1H: We have a very nice picnic under a huge tree in a park with some take out Mediterranean food, and our edibles start to kick in. This is great, and I highly recommend it. Injection site is a bit tender from being stabbed recently.

+11H: Light chills and body ache start to come on. My arm is feeling pretty sore, I can only raise it to about 60 degrees from my body.

+12H: Chills kicking my rear end. Under two blankets with a jacket, trying to stay warm while staring into space. Turned up the heater, added another blanket, and layer of clothes. My whole body feel like crap, it's slightly painful to touch things or move. My arm feels even worse.

+15H: Chills done, no longer freezing, now I'm sweating my balls off. This is around my normal bedtime, so I go lie in bed and try to get to sleep. This sucks, everything hurts a bit, I'm covered in sweat, and the arm i usually sleep on hurts a lot. Takes me about 2 hours to fall asleep.

+23H: Wake up, slight headache, arm is a bit sore. Mobility back to ~90% I feel a bit crappy but functional. I take 500mg of tylenol for the headache, and it clears up within the hour.

+30H: Pretty much back to normal. Still some injection site soreness, but I can stretch my arms above my head without pain.

Overall, shots 2, 3, and 4 have been about the same for me. Like a milder version of food poisoning or the flu, without the digestive issues. Hard to tell if the chills I get are better or worse each time, because they just loving suck when I'm going through it. Getting the official booster was more of a pain in the rear end than our Max Titers 3rd shots, thanks to all the verification required. But that might have been because the pharmacist we got. Dude seemed precise and by the book, even though he was wearing a lovely mask.

The side effects suck, but I can deal with this every 4-6 months. Sure as gently caress better than getting long covid because my short term antibodies wore off.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That's why this thread owns, even if you're dumb as gently caress there are fifty dudes who will help you out.

:haibrower:

“Rauros" posted:

everyone should have been shipped a half mask...use it for apocalypse wildfires too!

personally, my air quality improved significantly from like July-November each year after I bought a P100 respirator. from 2017 to mid 2020 I was wearing a n95 through months of god awful choking smoke each year, and it loving sucked. last year and this year was a huge step in comparison. plus, the filters still last a month+ even during the worst tang sky periods. respirators own.

This is going to sound dumb as gently caress but I've been doing the KN95/N95 song and dance for a while and I've been worried and doing the glasses fogging thing but the elastomeric p100 makes me feel suddenly 100 times better.

buying yourself an elastomeric respirator is a great deal. $40 for years of therapy worth of anxiety relief. having a comfortable mask that actually protects you is self-care during a pandemic. (what a surprise lmao)

jetz0r posted:

breathing in my secureclick is so indistinguishable from breathing without a mask that i get paranoid and do the pressure check randomly to make sure it's sealed.

don’t doxx me :ninja:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What N95 retailers are still in stock and not backlogged? I wanna suggest some to friends

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

That's why this thread owns, even if you're dumb as gently caress there are fifty dudes who will help you out.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Fly Molo posted:

buying yourself an elastomeric respirator is a great deal. $40 for years of therapy worth of anxiety relief. having a comfortable mask that actually protects you is self-care during a pandemic. (what a surprise lmao)
for real
i've spent $500+ over the past 12 months getting enough kf94 masks for my kids
meanwhile for my own protection i've only spent $80 back in feb 21' and another $80 i spent on auras at the start of winter
just gently caress, get a respirator, the best protection and cheap as gently caress in the long run

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Nevermind, I found it

attaboy

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress wildfire smoke. i hate it. I hate it so so much now. repeating nightmares of waking up already surrounded by the flames. endless days watching twitter to see if your house burned down. the stinging stink of it, everywhere, clinging to everything. knowing that even once the rains come... it’s only a temporary reprieve.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

DickParasite posted:

This thread is the best source of reliable covid info on the internet.

What a time to be alive.

My poo poo's in order and I'm ready to go and this poo poo is so much better than adjusting an N95 or a KN95 that I'm not sure why I didn't do this months ago.
you love to see it :getin:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Steve Yun posted:

What N95 retailers are still in stock and not backlogged? I wanna suggest some to friends

home depot's paint aisle for right now, plus ordering auras from one the sites i listed to get more in a couple weeks.

the n95 supply chain is straining hard as gently caress right now.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Bedford and others predicted this from the structure some time ago, and it’s nice to see that confirmed.

BA.2 isn’t great, but as far as variants capable of causing a surge right after‐BA.1 go, this is arguably the least bad thing we could have seen.

so you're saying that ba.2 is pretty mild as far as super infection plagues go?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

jetz0r posted:

home depot's paint aisle for right now, plus ordering auras from one the sites i listed to get more in a couple weeks.

the n95 supply chain is straining hard as gently caress right now.
yeah a friend was able to snag some auras from home depot today
lol as of now that's the only reliable non-backlogged source

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Lacrosse posted:

just let everyone take off their masks and poo poo all their intestines out with ivermectin and drink all their piss I don't give a gently caress

the faster these brunchers become permanently crippled by long covid the faster I don't have to listen to them whine anymore. It's a free country and we should let all these goddamn idiots live their lovely loving lives for however long or short that may be. Let these people get their cheeseburger lungs because they needed to watch spooderman in the theater, let them never be able to walk up a flight of stairs without an oxygen tank because they needed to have their Applebee's, let them stroke out on the shitter because they needed to spend 10 hours in line at Disney for a stupid goddamn popcorn bucket. Accelerationism is the way; the faster this gets worse the faster it gets better. We should be thanking all these European countries for dropping all their precautions, now we get to see omicron's TRUE power

I know this sounds cold and I'm sorry for all the immunocompromised people who are suffering right now, I'm one of them so I know how it feels, but if this is the way it's going to be then I'm going to revel in the destruction of this lovely world I've been forced to live in. Bring it on so that the future maybe has a chance at being better because the status quo will never change until it burns the gently caress down

I'm ready to watch this world end. We don't need no water, let the mother fucker burn.

BURN MOTHERFUCKER

:yeah: can relate and in closing,

Bar Ran Dun posted:

covid thread year six

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if you can't find any auras try buying a box or seven of 3m vflex, they're n95s that look kinda doofy so nobody wants them

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lacrosse posted:

just let everyone take off their masks and poo poo all their intestines out with ivermectin and drink all their piss I don't give a gently caress

the faster these brunchers become permanently crippled by long covid the faster I don't have to listen to them whine anymore. It's a free country and we should let all these goddamn idiots live their lovely loving lives for however long or short that may be. Let these people get their cheeseburger lungs because they needed to watch spooderman in the theater, let them never be able to walk up a flight of stairs without an oxygen tank because they needed to have their Applebee's, let them stroke out on the shitter because they needed to spend 10 hours in line at Disney for a stupid goddamn popcorn bucket. Accelerationism is the way; the faster this gets worse the faster it gets better. We should be thanking all these European countries for dropping all their precautions, now we get to see omicron's TRUE power

I know this sounds cold and I'm sorry for all the immunocompromised people who are suffering right now, I'm one of them so I know how it feels, but if this is the way it's going to be then I'm going to revel in the destruction of this lovely world I've been forced to live in. Bring it on so that the future maybe has a chance at being better because the status quo will never change until it burns the gently caress down

I'm ready to watch this world end. We don't need no water, let the mother fucker burn.

BURN MOTHERFUCKER

Accelerationism never made sense to me because it assumes it's the gateway to something better. But literally every society is throwing things open. Even in Norway, such a bastion of social democracy had one of this lead doctors call Omicron a "blessing" for it's mild effects. And what China is doing is clearly more of a desire to control than anything else.

It's not capitalism making people behave this way. It's us. It's mankind. Ours is a species of psychopaths little better than animals. There's no better world coming. And if there isn't isn't a better way to choose a slow and peaceful death instead of a painful screaming one?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hashy posted:

can we not

Better to lmao than cry

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

kater posted:

yes can we please stop causing each other psychic damage by posting every goddamn gibberish brained Twitter take. having to parse what the fuuuuuuck anyone is saying and then. grade it on a scale of how insane it is is horribly exhausting.

lol i just scroll past every post dead eyed wearing a half mask at work

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ikanreed posted:

We cause them, but there's no nyt articles like "actually famine solves the problems caused by predictable crop yields" yet. The way there are for "dying for the economy is what grandma wants" and "war with China is preferable china flying planes over the south china sea" or the new wave of "sickness is good"

So I guess I meant going from passive acceptance to affirmative allegiance

One werd trick to solve Americas obesity problem.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

kater posted:

yes can we please stop causing each other psychic damage by posting every goddamn gibberish brained Twitter take. having to parse what the fuuuuuuck anyone is saying and then. grade it on a scale of how insane it is is horribly exhausting.
that gibberish-brained guy is advising the UK government. honestly, it fuckin owns, it really does

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1486368543344140299lol
also lmao no one is wearing ppe

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I loving hate ambiguous bayonet mounts

Yet another advantage of the RU8500 - it uses screw mounts and circular filters, so long as tightened enough, it works.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

blatman posted:

if you can't find any auras try buying a box or seven of 3m vflex, they're n95s that look kinda doofy so nobody wants them

Those are even rarer.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Platystemon posted:

Those are even rarer.

well that's not good

I figured they were still around because that was the only kind I was able to order when I bought more cartridges but that was 2 or 3 weeks ago

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

mastershakeman posted:

two years of data about how different races and income levels contract covid and die from it at different rates but if you advocate using that information to avoid the disease :guillotine:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
  • We've been down this road how many loving times, over the last century and a half?

Scores? Hundreds? Thousands?

And it always takes us to the same place: casting an underclass in cement.

The difference this time is that what used to be the middle class, back when we had a more or less functional economy, is now in the process of being driven into a permanent underclass of their own. So they're liable to be a hell of a lot less forgiving about things like this than they would have been, say, in 1968.

So the breaks they may have cut this statement half a century ago are simply not on the table.

So don't be surprised when the mods stomp on you. If I were in their place, I'd have done the same.

• "Which race?" is the wrong question anyway.

Because
    • stupidity and
    • misinformation and
    • disinformation and
    • just plain lovely inexcusable behavior about contagious disease
    are an order of magnitude more widespread than the SARS-CoV2 virus itself.

Instead of asking "which race are they", ask "how do they objectively behave, w.r.t the Covid risks we know how to mitigate?".

That way, you actually might get some traction on the problem.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

AceOfFlames posted:

Accelerationism never made sense to me because it assumes it's the gateway to something better. But literally every society is throwing things open. Even in Norway, such a bastion of social democracy had one of this lead doctors call Omicron a "blessing" for it's mild effects. And what China is doing is clearly more of a desire to control than anything else.

It's not capitalism making people behave this way. It's us. It's mankind. Ours is a species of psychopaths little better than animals. There's no better world coming. And if there isn't isn't a better way to choose a slow and peaceful death instead of a painful screaming one?

China filling in the power void left behind as covid accelerates late stage capitalism in the US is inevitable at this point. We're going to find out what that looks like, for better or worse, one way or another.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

The flu is so easily defeated by even half rear end mask wearing that it's pathetic we ever worried about bird flu

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LMAO I wish, 3M.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Barry Soteriology posted:

i was 100 percent with you until you started denigrating the OCB and their ilk. it's been decades, but childhood me put away plenty a plate of mac and cheese at the OCB

No, you're right, they are an important gateway drug. My first time was with a rosy-cheeked Appalachian Golden Corral, and obviously that was formative for me. I remember those pale golden rolls and that smooth, cold, chocolatey froyo like they were yesterday. Ah, treasured memories.

Really though I was just being classist in a way I thought was funny even though I am well aware that that's not okay. Thank you for pointing that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Innocuous posted:

hey so i was just wondering

how is the media going to play this in about five years when many people young and old have been kicked into the dirt by something like 10-12 COVID infections overall

is it going to be comorbidities/personal responsibility all the way down or will we shift to NOBODY SAW THIS COMING HOW COULD WE HAVE KNOWN?

Looking forward, not backwards.