Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Twelve by Pies posted:

This criticism I don't understand at all. Leveling is hilariously easy, almost too easy in ACF as long as you never use Mystic Cards until you get Jane in your party, and then save them all for Power Apples while you're sailing on the Sweet Candy. Once you can get Rudy's arm maxed out you can gain like 15-20 levels in a single Power Apple fight.
That certainly looks easy after getting a certain character, after you get the ship, upgrade Rudy to max, and luck out on the RNG. I am talking about throughout the whole game where the boss gives you more XP than you would fighting in his dungeon for quite a while. I stopped bothering with early encounters and let every Berserk fight be the only source of early game levels, since enemies are such a pain in the rear end for their rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

He's fine, he'll just walk it off, like all those dudes you can stab like 17 times directly in the heart in fights who afterwards are just like "ouch you bruised me up good"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This is my favorite "Kiryu doesn't kill people" clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Es-flEfcg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is my favorite "Kiryu doesn't kill people" clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Es-flEfcg

Those are explicitly model guns, they're shooting bbs so that's basically stun damage

This, on the other hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IXCvs2B1Cc&t=43s

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Looks like that waiter was in the wrong place wrong time. It's not Kiryu's fault he was standing in between him and an angry man with a machine gun.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Those are explicitly model guns, they're shooting bbs so that's basically stun damage

This, on the other hand
Helicopter doesn't explode in midair, we can assume that the pilot bailed out safely.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Look, I can see their parachutes! They're okay!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This, on the other hand

that's implicitly a model rocket launcher which shoots model rockets.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I finished mapping out Wild Arms yesterday. An interesting RPG that probably would've had a lot more love in the SNES era, or with more time before FF7 changed the landscape. It feels like FF6 or CT at times (you even visit a 2nd floating continent of magic people at one point) but with a strong melancholy/faded glory vibe. Would've liked to see it with FF6-esque 2D battle graphics, but the overworld layout is pretty interesting even though it's a bit over-designed maybe.

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1487046015039459334?s=20&t=XN9geXVvMEhtCUemGOo0lg

I love it, but yeah the battles and animations are ultra slow and clunky alongside FF7 which was just unbelievable the first time I saw the opening cutscene and battles in 1997.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wild Arms didn't come out in Europe until the end of 1998 at which point it looked positively archaic rip.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Electromax posted:

I finished mapping out Wild Arms yesterday. An interesting RPG that probably would've had a lot more love in the SNES era, or with more time before FF7 changed the landscape. It feels like FF6 or CT at times (you even visit a 2nd floating continent of magic people at one point) but with a strong melancholy/faded glory vibe. Would've liked to see it with FF6-esque 2D battle graphics, but the overworld layout is pretty interesting even though it's a bit over-designed maybe.

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1487046015039459334?s=20&t=XN9geXVvMEhtCUemGOo0lg

I love it, but yeah the battles and animations are ultra slow and clunky alongside FF7 which was just unbelievable the first time I saw the opening cutscene and battles in 1997.

oh god how much time would it save you if you could just turn off the sprite layer :gonk:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Harrow posted:

Is there a mod that makes the FF1 pixel remaster have a combat balance more like the original? The pixel remasters have great QoL (like a sprint button) and I like how they look and sound, but the FF1 PR is turbo-easy for everything except the very last boss.

Honestly they could've increased the HP of every boss in the game except Chaos by like 5x or more and it still wouldn't be hard but you'd probably have to heal at least. Chaos is so much harder than the other bosses just because he has enough HP that you can't just nuke him down before his attacks can take a chunk out of your HP, and even then if you have a White Mage you'll be fine.

People already linked it, but yes, I was the one who did the XP curve restoration.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

None of the PRs have gone on sale yet have they? Was hoping for even a small discount with the current Steam sale but nada.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ibblebibble posted:

None of the PRs have gone on sale yet have they? Was hoping for even a small discount with the current Steam sale but nada.

They aren't even finished releasing the Pixel Remasters.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ibblebibble posted:

For $20 you can kill chaos for good

That’s a steal

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Cleretic posted:

This, but Battle Network.

...although maybe a spiritual sequel would be better than an actual one, I get the feeling that maybe we don't want to trust Capcom with a video game set in the internet right now.

Dunno if you saw em already but there's both an in-progress BN7 fangame called Chrono X (fairly short) and a Touhou crossover called Shanghai.exe that has the main game completed, and both are pretty good, the second especially.

Electromax posted:

I have no idea what Wild Arms is but am I missing something because this just looks like an edited map of FF2 :psyduck:

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Ibblebibble posted:

I've been picking them up through greenmangaming which ends up being a decent bit off

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'll buy the PRs in a few months when the bundle goes on sale. Are there cool mods for any of them out yet?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The biggest sin ACF commits is turning Lady Harken from a terrifying Valktria to Asuka in cosplay.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think they made an error of turning all those beaches into impassable mountains.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Chillgamesh posted:

I'll buy the PRs in a few months when the bundle goes on sale. Are there cool mods for any of them out yet?

FF1 has a randomizer. Lots of sprite and music mods since they're low hanging fruit. Mods allow you to change the UI colours. FF1 has rebalance mods, FF3/5 have AP/XP mods, lots of font mods.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The best PR mod is the one for FF5 that changes all the enemy names to the GBA versions

Karl Boss 4 lyfe

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Elephant Ambush posted:

The best PR mod is the one for FF5 that changes all the enemy names to the GBA versions

Karl Boss 4 lyfe

He was only Karl Boss in the PS1 version. The GBA one has him as Karlabos.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Draga posted:

He was only Karl Boss in the PS1 version. The GBA one has him as Karlabos.

Whichever version has the hilarious bad translations

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Karl Boss and Y Burn were the PSX translation. GBA has an actually competent translation done by a goon (IIRC).

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Yeah, that'll be the PS1 version.

Long live Y-Burn

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

MatchaZed posted:

FF1 has a randomizer. Lots of sprite and music mods since they're low hanging fruit. Mods allow you to change the UI colours. FF1 has rebalance mods, FF3/5 have AP/XP mods, lots of font mods.

I remember reading speculation that it might be possible to make a randomizer that shares content between the games, is that still looking like it might be doable or nah?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chillgamesh posted:

I remember reading speculation that it might be possible to make a randomizer that shares content between the games, is that still looking like it might be doable or nah?

It's too early to tell at this point. The most people have managed to do is tweaking values already in place, asset replacement, and just recently someone figured out how to add new assets altogether. In theory something like that might happen since all the games seem to share the same engine, but who knows.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Draga posted:

Yeah, that'll be the PS1 version.

Long live Y-Burn
Water Bus is chill.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm playing/replaying FF7Re since I never actually beat it on the PS4 and I'm really appreciating the graphical upgrade and man I hate how the Hard Edge looks, like a big stupid metal paddle since it's your go to weapon for a really long time if you go for a phyiscal atk Cloud. The original game's manual had a CG of Cloud on the motorcycle using it and it was much smaller than the buster sword and it made it look meaner and cooler.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Simply mod all of cloud’s swords to be the character model for Scarlet

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
for some reason my favourite thing about 5PSX is that the "Victory!" text is "YEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Butz and friends get into another random battle and he just goes "Ugh, Adamngolem."

So I learned that SMTV has a weird reference to FF7 in it that would be completely incomprehensible to anyone who never played it. Sometimes when you ask Koppa Tengu to join him he'll say "Off course! Er, I mean, of course!"

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I cannot wait to play as Jack in strangers of paradise. I haven’t been this excited for a non-FFXIV FF game since waiting for FFX

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Calaveron posted:

I'm playing/replaying FF7Re since I never actually beat it on the PS4 and I'm really appreciating the graphical upgrade and man I hate how the Hard Edge looks, like a big stupid metal paddle since it's your go to weapon for a really long time if you go for a phyiscal atk Cloud. The original game's manual had a CG of Cloud on the motorcycle using it and it was much smaller than the buster sword and it made it look meaner and cooler.

It looks so bad I switched back to the buster sword :laffo:

Later on you can get a magic-focused blade that actually has a pretty sleek look to it, but a magic-focused Cloud seems weird when Barret and Aerith are right there

The nail bat being terrible is the real crime imho

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I love that the original Nailbat is an ancient relic in an abandoned ruin guarded by monsters, and remake Nailbat is given to you by an orphan kid after you kill some frogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

a magic-focused Cloud seems weird when Barret and Aerith are right there

This is a weird sentence to read for me, having only played the original FF7, where Cloud has a higher magic attack stat than every other party member, even potentially Aerith depending on how lucky/unlucky their level up bonuses are. As well as Barret having the lowest potential magic (tied with Cid anyway).