Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

2016 is okay. It missed the charm of the original, and isn't nearly serious enough as a quasi remake of the original, but there are some funny moments.

More importantly the soundtrack is loving awesome. It's the best thing to come out of that 2016 film. It has about half a dozen remixes of the OG song that are good, and the Walk the Moon cover they did for the theme song was also very good (i admittedly really love that band so I enjoy their energy and they were p faithful in their cover imo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

The Notorious ZSB posted:

2016 is okay. It missed the charm of the original, and isn't nearly serious enough as a quasi remake of the original, but there are some funny moments.

I'm now most of the way through 2016. I actually like a lot of it! I like all the principals, they're all funny, they just had the deck stacked against them because of the revered nature of 1984. I understand now the extended improv criticisms, much of it feels like a longform improv show where everyone's pretty on. The dumbness of the receptionist guy is like, wayyy overdone but whatever. The ladies get a ghostbusters movie to be rowdy and gross, it's fine.

Still hate that puking scene. Jesus christ. And "you get a car and you get a car" jokes I'm pretty sure were already old by the time this came out. There's some other jokes I was a little embarrassed for them that they kept in, but they must not have been that bad if I can't remember them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm still amazed to this day that I looked down at my phone to check the time while watching GB 2016, thinking it was going to be over soon and the movie still had over an hour left.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Basebf555 posted:

I'm still amazed to this day that I looked down at my phone to check the time while watching GB 2016, thinking it was going to be over soon and the movie still had over an hour left.

I will admit I am having extreme trouble paying attention to the ending. I am also slowly watching Ghostbusters The Video Game - The Movie - Remastered Extended Cut since people seem to rate it a sequel unto itself. The music cues are loving with me--my brain conjures up the scene I should be seeing for a given cue for how far along I am in the story. If I hear Dana's Theme I should see Dana! If this looks fun enough I'll just play it, but I haven't played a new game in like 10 years so, not likely. If it were going to be anything, a good GB game would be it.

Has anyone ever done a fan reshoot of GB84 ala the Star Wars Uncut thing? Outside of Be Kind Rewind

Brolander fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 12, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

it remains one of only two movies i've ever just left early because i could not possibly be bothered to waste any more time with it

the other one was good will hunting, whatever year it came out, which is not a great movie in the first place but it was a beautiful sunny day and i was mega stoned and it was like "holy poo poo am i really wasting any of my day on this"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The fan edits have started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ClxSfiYVpQ

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The ending one works way better than this one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Adam Savage video about the practical farm location set.
Egon's barn was an actual old barn they found but that location didn't have the rolling hills they wanted so they bought the barn, cut it up, transported it to the new site and reassembled it there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoeL2lwLpXs

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Early report from an owner of the Blu ray boxset. Disappointing.

Some FB GB Group Member posted:

Alas, NONE of these deleted scenes are on the new Blu-Ray box set:

1. Ecto-1 breaks down
3. Ray’s Occult (ex)
4. GB Trial (ex)
5. Ghost Jogger (ex)
6. Old GB Sign
7. Slimer v Louis: Lunch (ex)
8. Ray and Egon with slime headgear
9. Glass Store Ghost
10. Gift Boutique
11. Outside Museum: PKE Levels off charts
12. Possessed Ray Speeding
13. Slimer v Louis- KFC Trap
15. GBs Leave Parkview & ditch Louis and Sherman
18. Extended Ending
19. Liberty Island

Great. :negative:

Edit: this person described what WAS included:

Same Person From The Group posted:

The original Word of the Psychic is there. The rest is just bits and pieces, mostly: tiny slivers. Some good stuff: Louis goes back to the firehouse to suit up and Janine comes down the pole. Ray and Peter rally the firefighters to sing Kumbaya outside the museum. Extra, very short snippets from when Peter and Dana reunite.

The best scene is Sherman and then the guys actually in the dayroom at Bellvue, with dialogue much the same as in the shooting script.

Overall, it looks like all the scenes were thrown together with very little care. I'm not impressed.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Early report from an owner of the Blu ray boxset. Disappointing.

Great. :negative:

Edit: this person described what WAS included:

Ain't gonna buy another box set til it has every movie and all the cartoons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Ain't gonna buy another box set til it has every movie and all the cartoons.

I just wanna see all of the deleted scenes from GB2, goddammit.

Like how loving hard is it? How?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

drat, that sucks. Is there any chance of some of the excised Vigo footage? I remember there was that somewhat scary still of Vigo leaning out the painting with glowing eyes.

Are there any reports of the workprint version of the original film with alternate takes as well? Any unfinished or different special effects footage?

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

I've got a Ghostbusters 2016 / Answer the Call extended edition digital code that is US - only, if anyone would like it:

3L4XRRKA Q0P5q720

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

CaptainN posted:

I've got a Ghostbusters 2016 / Answer the Call extended edition digital code that is US - only, if anyone would like it:

3L4XRRKA Q0P5q720

Grabbed it, thanks for the free bad movie.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Check out this awesome costume build by a cool dad.

Quoted from another thread.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Guy from my local twitter regulars is making a slimer costume for his 5 year old kid who loves ghostbusters for his ghostbusters birthday party. He's never done costume stuff before at all but he's just doing a great job.

https://twitter.com/RossLeBrun/status/1484475677692899328

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Here's one coming off the request line from Liberty Island.

We're gonna squeeze some new year's juice from ya, BIG APPLE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrdrNM96O-k

Some neat stuff, but like.... c'mon, I wanted to see the ending scene and the possessed Ray scenes. :colbert:

Edit: also, this is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExS2Xl1WLlc

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 5, 2022

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Some neat stuff, but like.... c'mon, I wanted to see the ending scene and the possessed Ray scenes. :colbert:

Edit: also, this is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExS2Xl1WLlc

That is cool! I like there was a fan project to reconstruct that unused theme tune:

https://youtu.be/oDyIdG2ETY8

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Disco Pope posted:

That is cool! I like there was a fan project to reconstruct that unused theme tune:

https://youtu.be/oDyIdG2ETY8

This feels like the unholy love child of We Didn't Start the Fire and the synth line from Dancing in the Dark.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Some of these so obviously should have been in the movie :psyduck:

like how do you cut "I am a fraud."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

"I am a fraud" is in the movie, just a slightly different take.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Timby posted:

"I am a fraud" is in the movie, just a slightly different take.

Peter asks where they find these people, and why they couldn't get the guy who bends the spoons, and his assistant said that he cancelled last minute, and no self respecting medium would come on the show last minute.

Assistant: "They think you're a fraud".
Peter: "I AM a fraud..."

*mayor walks by*

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Peter asks where they find these people, and why they couldn't get the guy who bends the spoons, and his assistant said that he cancelled last minute, and no self respecting medium would come on the show last minute.

Assistant: "They think you're a fraud".
Peter: "I AM a fraud..."

*mayor walks by*

Yes, I said the line was in the movie?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He was just noting for others where it appears in the movie to support your point?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Cameo posted:

He was just noting for others where it appears in the movie to support your point?

Yep, that's it, sorry for being unclear. I was trying to jog the memory of the person who couldn't remember, but I quoted the person who did. :shrug:

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

precision posted:

I can see why they cut Sherman (is that Eugene Levy?) from the movie - that character seems a little bit too "weird" for the tone of it all IMO.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

GazChap posted:

I can see why they cut Sherman (is that Eugene Levy?) from the movie - that character seems a little bit too "weird" for the tone of it all IMO.

Yeah, none of these scenes, or at least not many of them, actually fit into the tone and flow, but then again, is that because I've seen the finished product so many times that I just can't imagine them in there?

I'd be perfectly fine with the newlywed scene put into GB1, I feel like that wouldn't really ruin anything. But these scenes in GB2, while I do love finally seeing them, are just off.

Also, are they in the psych hospital during the day? The timing doesn't match up at all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

More GB1 clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgTjl9fH5HE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HW_TAhoebk

Also, James Rolfe, who I normally enjoy, 'famously' refused to watch or review the 2016 Ghostbusters, but has released a review for the new one. I don't get it... Was it the reboot angle that he didn't like, or the woman one?

Also, is anyone else really tired of hearing the term "passing the torch"?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Also, James Rolfe, who I normally enjoy, 'famously' refused to watch or review the 2016 Ghostbusters, but has released a review for the new one. I don't get it... Was it the reboot angle that he didn't like, or the woman one?

He may just not have liked it, and didn't want to get involved in internet arguments over it. Like, I just found the whole film tedious and boring, but at the time, it didn't seem like you could say anything about it without it becoming an argument (in certain circles, anyways)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

roffels posted:

He may just not have liked it, and didn't want to get involved in internet arguments over it. Like, I just found the whole film tedious and boring, but at the time, it didn't seem like you could say anything about it without it becoming an argument (in certain circles, anyways)

As far as I know, he didn't watch it. He released his video before saying he refused to even watch it. I could be misremembering though.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

As far as I know, he didn't watch it. He released his video before saying he refused to even watch it. I could be misremembering though.
Ah, I see. I only remembered he refused to review it, not watch it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He said he didn't think he could give it a fair shake since he'd be comparing it to the original and a corner of the internet blew it up to him being a misogynist weirdo.

He doesn't own his channel anymore so it's possible the company wanted to do a video on the new one to strike while the iron's hot for views.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He wanted to see ghostbusters 3 with the original cast. It’s as simple as that.

He got his wish.

He did nothing wrong then and nothing wrong now.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Huh. Now that you ask, yes actually, I definitely am.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

He wanted to see ghostbusters 3 with the original cast. It’s as simple as that.

He got his wish.

He did nothing wrong then and nothing wrong now.

Ok, fair enough, I guess I misremembered :shobon: I wasn't all over him then when he decided not to watch it, it just felt like a not-great turnaround. I'm happy to be wrong in this case.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah he just got lumped in with all the misogynists by Internet people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8X2A7wHyQ

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's just a weird place that social media personalities sometimes find themselves. Because the old school reviewers would've never said "I'm too sentimental about this particular movie so I'm not going to review it". Their job and livelihood was reviewing movies, so that's what they did. I don't think it would've occurred to them to do anything different. But someone like Rolfe rightfully thinks of himself as more of an all-around personality that people come to for entertainment, not just two thumbs up or two thumbs down. So for him, putting out a 6 minute video explaining why he refuses to review something is content the same as any other content that shows off his personality and builds his brand. It's not really his responsibility to review every movie that comes across his desk the way it was for the reviewers of the past who worked for newspapers and t.v. networks.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

James is like, the least controversial YouTuber in existence. He's either really good at hiding bad things for fifteen years (probably not) or literally doesn't know or care about most controversial things. He tends to surround himself with dipshits like pretty much everyone that runs his channel and makes content.

However he spent years doing it all himself and I think his daughter has a medical problem that he spends a lot of time with. So now he just gets paid to show up on his own channel to play games, or review movies, or the occasional Angry Video Game Nerd video. Means he doesn't have to get a "real" job or spend 80 hours a week grinding out content for the algorithm.

He's probably pretty happy with the deal.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I had no idea he’d sold his channel.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I had no idea he’d sold his channel.

quote:

In 2013, the company who owned Cinemassacre, ScrewAttack closed and only releases Death Battle videos. So Cinemassacre was acquired by ScreenWave Media in 2015.

I couldn't remember the details.

Or it's just a lovely article with no quality control. It's probably that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I just watched Afterlife this afternoon and I enjoyed it.

The Good:
The kid leads actually are REALLY good.
Dialogue is mostly good and the characters feel like they have similarities while being distinct.
The last act is fun and decent.
Ivo Shandor's lengthy plot is definitely worth it.

The Meh/Bad:
The middle of the movie drags a bit, doesn't feel like it connects the first and third act well.
To that point they needed to show the kids [spoilers]busting more ghosts.[/spoiler]
The black girl needs more to do she got Winstoned.
Could of used some more modern soundtrack instead of the weird mix of 60s and 80s.

Slightly lengthier:

The move is good, maybe not great but is probably the 2nd best Ghostbuster's movie. The main characters are good and fleshed out and have their own distinct personalities and are just different enough from the original ghostbusters that it doesn't feel like a 1:1 copy and unlike the 2016 movie they all play different roles and mesh well. The setting is, ok? I guess and doesn't add much to the movie. Paul Rudd's character could of been given a little more to do, he kind of drifts from act 1 to act 3 after a decent introduction.

The movie is a mix of modern horror a bit of Stephen King esthetic structure throw in quite literally. They gave Gozer some more personality this time and it works well enough though I feel like the movie was afraid to not have a GB1 bad guy show up. And the final sequences feel good and do a decent job of being cheesy but make you feel feelings. So worth it to watch, just felt like it just needed to tighten a bit.