Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Same but aggressively.

FFVI pixel remaster can't come soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

Same but disrespectfully

Mzbundifund posted:

Who's Edward?

I think they meant Edgar

I also have no idea who the "pirate lady" is. That makes me think of Leila from FF2 but that's a different game.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Gaius Marius posted:

Started playing the Final Fantasy VI. Figured I'd give it another go to see why people are so into it. Got up to the escape from Figaro. I'm pretty sure the last thing I remember from playing it years ago was just after that when you meet the pirate lady and escape.

First impressions. The intro is pretty bad, I think they want you to get a feel for how much more power ful you're gonna get later in the game, but raiding narshe with denim and jean is exceedingly tedious. Your far more powerful than every encounter, but your forced to wait for the Guage to fill before you act, compare to your dragon quests or SMT where your immediately either making decisions or reacting to the enemies moves, it's boring. And then they compound it by having the first boss's gimmick encourage waiting. It's bizarre what a terrible foot forward they put.

The parts up to meeting Locke and escaping are fine if uneventful. Locke himself feels like they wanted a cross between Han solo and Indiana Jones, but comes off more like an ineffectual Nathan Drake. I can't wait until I can ditch him and Edward. Which also Edward is so lame.

My unpopular ff opinion is that the first third of ff6 is so tedious to churn through that I don't really care how good the rest of it might be. The three scenario split is just never-ending

I'm gonna give it another go with the PR edition but FF5 is kind of the longest JRPG I'm willing to put up with and that one is at least nice enough to give you the keys to the car pretty early on

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Reminder that a lot of FF6 is optional and you are not required to do all of it.

If you don't like games that are super long then just do the main story. It's an easy enough game that you don't need to grind a lot.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gaius Marius posted:

Started playing the Final Fantasy VI. Figured I'd give it another go to see why people are so into it. Got up to the escape from Figaro. I'm pretty sure the last thing I remember from playing it years ago was just after that when you meet the pirate lady and escape.

First impressions. The intro is pretty bad, I think they want you to get a feel for how much more power ful you're gonna get later in the game, but raiding narshe with denim and jean is exceedingly tedious. Your far more powerful than every encounter, but your forced to wait for the Guage to fill before you act, compare to your dragon quests or SMT where your immediately either making decisions or reacting to the enemies moves, it's boring. And then they compound it by having the first boss's gimmick encourage waiting. It's bizarre what a terrible foot forward they put.

The parts up to meeting Locke and escaping are fine if uneventful. Locke himself feels like they wanted a cross between Han solo and Indiana Jones, but comes off more like an ineffectual Nathan Drake. I can't wait until I can ditch him and Edward. Which also Edward is so lame.

Like, do you just not like the ATB system that's in over half the games? And the section when you're in magitek armor and overpowering everything is, like, five minutes?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFVI is a good game but holy poo poo it is incredibly boring for the longest time.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 31, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thought FFVI Remaster comes out tomorrow?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They haven't announced a date yet. Supposedly sometime in February but so far no news since like December.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I said come in! posted:

I thought FFVI Remaster comes out tomorrow?

Steam store page just says "on February 2022" with no specific date yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty sure that is a troll post considering it mixes FF4, 5, and 6 together.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zil posted:

Steam store page just says "on February 2022" with no specific date yet.

Wishful thinking then. I am excited for its release.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

One can be forgiven for mistaking Setzer as a pirate lady

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shabadu posted:

One can be forgiven for mistaking Setzer as a pirate lady

This can be applied to like a third of Amano characters

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVI is a good game but holy poo poo it is incredibly boring for the longest time.

I wish you got espers sooner, thats the fun part of the mechanics to me

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The game may as well not have combat for the first 15 hours because it's largely just rotating around which way you freely auto-resolve them with a job ability

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Dignity posted:

The game may as well not have combat for the first 15 hours because it's largely just rotating around which way you freely auto-resolve them with a job ability

I love FF6 but that applies to the entire game.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

If you're not into ff6 by the 3-party split just stop because the gameplay loop doesn't change and you already met kefka, so there's not much else to surprise you unless you really want to experience the world of ruin transition. at least do sabin's first, and if that doesn't pull you more into the world, not much else will imo

FF6 does a number of things that are interesting to JRPG anthropologists, like being in a magitek suit changes your commands but not your character, fancier in-battle cutscenes (which they've been learning and experimenting with in the Romancing SaGa series, all about the same timeframe), mode 7 world map spinning with the airship, multiple active parties and swapping between them, character skills but learning spells as the midway point between FF4s "every character grows along their specific way" and FF5s "absolute freedom to build characters," as well as experimenting with what they do with them, some good some bad

But hard or complex, ff6 a'int

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't mean to single you out here, but as someone trying to understand it, what part of FFVI would be the beginning of the interesting part??? It's not the part where you juggle moogle parties?? Where Figaro castle dives under the sand and you escape a madman's barbeque?? Sabin's Incredible Adventures all across creation? The Narshe 3-party party? The gameplay of FF6 is the weakest part by far and I wholly admit I get pulled through more on the feeling of the game more than any difficulty, so I'm curious if anyone has a differing opinion on where the story picks up.

fake edit: this reminds me that the ff6 t-edition is out there, does anyone have firsthand experience with it? curious about that as well

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 31, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just wanna hear the Pixel Remaster version of "Searching for Friends," is that so much to ask Square Enix??

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

I just wanna hear the Pixel Remaster version of "Searching for Friends," is that so much to ask Square Enix??

off the back of The Fierce Battle and the fight against Atma Weapon did I save my pennies as a youth and order the OST from the back pages of Nintendo Power

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I am still dying to know what other scenes received opera treatment:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Super No Vacancy posted:

the new testament is an isekai

No that's a reverse-isekai.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ragequit posted:

I am still dying to know what other scenes received opera treatment:

Might just be nostalgia talking, but I'd honestly love an RPG with this kind of 3D pixel art format.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i guess the caves leading up to the shell boss could be a little boring but even then i like the music. thats pretty much the only slow part of ff6 to me. the irenicus' dungeon of jrpgs. the opening is captivating to me and when they start doing party splitting and moogle RTSes i go wild. actually maybe the magitek research facility is a little bit of a slog but nothing that makes me shudder like the no metal cave in ff4 or that last zone in ffx

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Eight-Six posted:

If you're not into ff6 by the 3-party split just stop because the gameplay loop doesn't change and you already met kefka, so there's not much else to surprise you unless you really want to experience the world of ruin transition. at least do sabin's first, and if that doesn't pull you more into the world, not much else will imo

FF6 does a number of things that are interesting to JRPG anthropologists, like being in a magitek suit changes your commands but not your character, fancier in-battle cutscenes (which they've been learning and experimenting with in the Romancing SaGa series, all about the same timeframe), mode 7 world map spinning with the airship, multiple active parties and swapping between them, character skills but learning spells as the midway point between FF4s "every character grows along their specific way" and FF5s "absolute freedom to build characters," as well as experimenting with what they do with them, some good some bad

But hard or complex, ff6 a'int

I don't mean to single you out here, but as someone trying to understand it, what part of FFVI would be the beginning of the interesting part??? It's not the part where you juggle moogle parties?? Where Figaro castle dives under the sand and you escape a madman's barbeque?? Sabin's Incredible Adventures all across creation? The Narshe 3-party party? The gameplay of FF6 is the weakest part by far and I wholly admit I get pulled through more on the feeling of the game more than any difficulty, so I'm curious if anyone has a differing opinion on where the story picks up.

fake edit: this reminds me that the ff6 t-edition is out there, does anyone have firsthand experience with it? curious about that as well

Well, I do have to admit I only beat FFVI thanks to the Brave New World hack. Before that, I always got bored and wandered off. BNW made the game more challenging and thus more interesting to play for me.

As for when the story picks up....honestly, around the same time as the gameplay picks up, when you get Espers. Midway through the World of Balance and then the entire World of Ruin were great. Before that, I absolutely agree with you that FFVI was just a bunch of boring, "whacky" events. I distinctly remember thinking "when does this become a brilliant story and the best FF game ever?" Well, the answer is probably post-Magitek Factory.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hope there's no trophy for getting all of Gau's rage. FFVI is a brilliant game but also a complete mess of half-baked mechanics.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, I do have to admit I only beat FFVI thanks to the Brave New World hack. Before that, I always got bored and wandered off. BNW made the game more challenging and thus more interesting to play for me.

As for when the story picks up....honestly, around the same time as the gameplay picks up, when you get Espers. Midway through the World of Balance and then the entire World of Ruin were great. Before that, I absolutely agree with you that FFVI was just a bunch of boring, "whacky" events. I distinctly remember thinking "when does this become a brilliant story and the best FF game ever?" Well, the answer is probably post-Magitek Factory.

fair and reasoned!!! thank you

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Personally I think the assault on Narshe intro to 6 is a pretty brilliant framing device. It starts you off piloting mechs, which was pretty new and awesome for the time. You're controlling soldiers of an evil empire, stomping into a basically defenseless town to murder poo poo and take what you want, which is a great reversal of how most games frame things. The mechs are powerful, and provide resourceless offense and healing, which gives new players a chance to learn the menu-based gameplay without risk, while providing a realistic in-world explanation for why the stuff you're fighting is not a threat. Then the boss teaches you about the ATB gameplay in what has become the Standard First Boss for FF games. And after you've just stomped through all opposition with overwhelming force, the Esper totally chumps you without even needing to get out of its ice block, thereby setting the stakes for what you're dealing with. Empire = Powerful and bullying the rest of the world. Espers = even more powerful and mysterious. There, the setting for the world is all set up during a seamlessly integrated tutorial- now you're free to start your adventure.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vermain posted:

Might just be nostalgia talking, but I'd honestly love an RPG with this kind of 3D pixel art format.

Octopath Traveler? Also Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Octopath Traveler? Also Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

Octopath Traveler isn't for everyone but I personally loved it and it's a very pretty game with a top tier soundtrack. If you have a Switch there's a free demo. I highly recommend everyone give it a try.

There's also the Triangle Strategy demo for Switch as well which is by the same studio.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vermain posted:

Octopath Traveler has been out for awhile.There are several other games in development with similar (or identical) styles, including the Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D remake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmfiqydPjVk

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If Octo's post-game dungon hadn't pulled the same poo poo as the prior versions of FF3, a long gauntlet of bosses with zero checkpoints, then the epilogue wouldnt have left players with a sour taste in the mouth.

Has it been pointed out that Baramos from the above Dragon Quest looks like Hans Moleman?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 31, 2022

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If Octo's post-game dungon hadn't pulled the same poo poo as the prior versions of FF3, a long gauntlet of bosses with zero checkpoints, then the epilogue wouldnt have left players with a sour taste in the mouth.

Has it been pointed out that Baramos from the above Dragon Quest looks like Hans Moleman?

Octo left a bad taste in my mouth way before the post game dungeon.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Man, FFVI's split party sequence is so good. Maybe not Edgar/Terra, but Locke rescuing Celes is like the only time he's likable and Sabin's wild adventures blew my small mind, as did the second half of the game basically just saying "yo do whatever you want and go wherever, I'm not gonna tell you what to do"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Octopath Traveler has been out for awhile.There are several other games in development with similar (or identical) styles, including the Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D remake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmfiqydPjVk

When is this coming out? That trailer was from back in May last year, i'm surprised there has been nothing new.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

revisiting the locales you already went to with the split parties was so nifty. all the hidden passages in south figaro
and everyone making new friends so you then finally get everyone together and you have all these new dynamics to play off
also that sneaky little thing later where if you pick an undersized party you get shadow again
so sick

Schwartzcough posted:

Personally I think the assault on Narshe intro to 6 is a pretty brilliant framing device. It starts you off piloting mechs, which was pretty new and awesome for the time. You're controlling soldiers of an evil empire, stomping into a basically defenseless town to murder poo poo and take what you want, which is a great reversal of how most games frame things. The mechs are powerful, and provide resourceless offense and healing, which gives new players a chance to learn the menu-based gameplay without risk, while providing a realistic in-world explanation for why the stuff you're fighting is not a threat. Then the boss teaches you about the ATB gameplay in what has become the Standard First Boss for FF games. And after you've just stomped through all opposition with overwhelming force, the Esper totally chumps you without even needing to get out of its ice block, thereby setting the stakes for what you're dealing with. Empire = Powerful and bullying the rest of the world. Espers = even more powerful and mysterious. There, the setting for the world is all set up during a seamlessly integrated tutorial- now you're free to start your adventure.

drat good points

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I said come in! posted:

When is this coming out? That trailer was from back in May last year, i'm surprised there has been nothing new.

I'm betting on next year for the 35th anniversary.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Octopath Traveler?

Octopath's going for more of a storybook look with some pixel art thrown into the mix. It's too overblown and hazy to match the kind of crispness you usually get from pixel art.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

There's no pirate lady in FF6, that's Faris from FF5. There's also no Edward in FF6, that's Edgar. Edward is from FF4. Sounds like you're mixing up a few FF's. That's cool, that means your experience will be a bit new this time around!

FF6 is one of my all-time favorites. I think the start is more plot/tutorial than any actual attempt at fun gameplay really. It starts getting good around the spot where you're at right now, with three-four people in your party that all do different things.

EDIT: Oh wow I missed a whole page I think. This was in response to Gaius Marius

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Eight-Six posted:

I've played it up until visiting Vector the first time, and I think it's pretty well-made! There's a lot of fun new stuff and I'm looking forward to doing more of the end-game quests and alternate outfits etc. It can definitely be a bit grindy for some of the unlocks though.

I wish there was a romhack out there that combined Divergent Paths, T-Edition and Brave New World though. I like all three of those for different things they do and I wish I could just combine them. Throw on the Revised Old School Edition re-translation on top of that, and it'd be near perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Like, do you just not like the ATB system that's in over half the games?

Correct, It's not a good battle system. The function of it is to drive tension as you wait for your bar to fill, however what happens is you spend the first 15 seconds of each battle just waiting for no reason. They could've just started the battle off with you're fastest dude or enemy going but they chose not to. There's zero reason for the game to ever not let you make decisions and I'm surprised the system remained for so long.

This is not to say the Mechanics in the Battle System are necessarily bad. I honestly have no idea I haven't really had to engage with the combat at all. And there's plenty of games with interesting systems stuck inside terrible battle systems, like every rtwp game ever.

NikkolasKing posted:

The difference in my level of excitement for the intro of If... and this game are palpable.