Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vegetable posted:

Wheel of Time had about zero cultural impact despite all the money Amazon burned on it, and I fully expect the new LOTR series to be exactly the same. Though I do miss GoT being this massive cultural phenomenon — when was the last time the world collectively paid attention to a TV series like that? Squid Games, maybe?

Squid Games was massive and maybe could have been bigger if it had not been dumped all at once. I'm not as familiar with Amazon's shows, do they usually do weekly releases or do they do whole season binge dumps like Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Lobok posted:

Squid Games was massive and maybe could have been bigger if it had not been dumped all at once. I'm not as familiar with Amazon's shows, do they usually do weekly releases or do they do whole season binge dumps like Netflix?

The ones I recall were weekly episodes

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Wheel of Time had about zero cultural impact despite all the money Amazon burned on it, and I fully expect the new LOTR series to be exactly the same. Though I do miss GoT being this massive cultural phenomenon — when was the last time the world collectively paid attention to a TV series like that? Squid Games, maybe?

I have no numbers to back this up but I get the sense that Succession has had quite a bit of cultural traction.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lobok posted:

Wheel of Time, the show referenced in the OP, was released 3 episodes on the first day, and then weekly after that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Interesting to think about how/why Amazon expected Wheel of Time to be its own Game of Thrones. Thrones showed that "prestige" fantasy TV could work but the book series was one of the it properties at the time, it was on HBO with its large base and reputation, a relative lack of competition given how many streaming services there are now, and while it's quaint to think about now after the line between movie actor and TV actor has washed away they had Sean Bean headlining (lol). No disrespect to anyone acting in WoT but it seems like the biggest draw there was... Rosamund Pike? I also wonder if the end of GoT poisoned the well a bit.

That said, Wheel of Time was apparently very successful for Amazon and is continuing. I think there's something to be said for how the lack of cultural impact might have more to do with where and how we all discuss this kind of stuff. I don't see WoT talk on my social media at all but then again all I ever saw of Invincible was that one shot memed over and over and you didn't have to have seen the show to get those jokes.

thrawn527 posted:

Wheel of Time, the show referenced in the OP, was released 3 episodes on the first day, and then weekly after that.

Ah ok, thanks. I've seen some Prime shows but I usually watch them late so the original release schedule ends up being lost on me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lobok posted:

Interesting to think about how/why Amazon expected Wheel of Time to be its own Game of Thrones. Thrones showed that "prestige" fantasy TV could work but the book series was one of the it properties at the time, it was on HBO with its large base and reputation, a relative lack of competition given how many streaming services there are now, and while it's quaint to think about now after the line between movie actor and TV actor has washed away they had Sean Bean headlining (lol). No disrespect to anyone acting in WoT but it seems like the biggest draw there was... Rosamund Pike? I also wonder if the end of GoT poisoned the well a bit.

Not to argue with the rest of your points, but before the show came out, the Game of Thrones book series wasn't any bigger than Wheel of Time. They were about the same level of fame, and Wheel of Time may have been bigger. The HBO show is what shot it to massive notice.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

A bunch of shows are tinkering with this. We're doing it with Station Eleven internationally right now. The last couple I've seen that has done something similar is Sex Lives of College Girls and The After Party.

It isn't streamer-specific it's show-specific. It's just part of the marketing plan now with no real clear feedback of what is the most successful method.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Personally I got interested in the game of thrones TV show because it was really really GOOD. Like, unusually good and mostly better than other things on TV.

The Wheel of Time series is like... watchable, at best. I've watched it when I've been bored. They're not even close to the same level of quality

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The other day I played Risk with some friends and yes I'm in my 40s whatever but they put on the Battle of the Bastards episode as a background and none of us could pay attention to the game so we just watched the episode and paused the Risk game until it was over.

The last season made me forgot how loving good that show was like finding a hair at the bottom of the best bowl of soup you ever had.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

davidspackage posted:

"Let's hurry, Teledildor!"
"Wait, Zinfandel! I must take a moment to pee!"
"On company time? Here, use this bottle, it was forged by the elves!"

"The Hourglass of Lúthedir, one minute is enough to fulfill the break requirements of a grown worker!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zzulu posted:

Personally I got interested in the game of thrones TV show because it was really really GOOD. Like, unusually good and mostly better than other things on TV.

The Wheel of Time series is like... watchable, at best. I've watched it when I've been bored. They're not even close to the same level of quality

Yeah, the WoT show has a few good things about it and a whole lot of bad... including changing major plot and lore stuff for actual, literally no reason

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Looks good.

https://youtu.be/IN5TD4VRcSM

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope it lives up to its title.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i love it when i get to the end of a good rear end trailer and the thing is already out!

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

gently caress it's a show? It would have been nice to watch a movie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Halo movie, which has been in production hell for seemingly eons, is now a TV series on Paramount+.

It starts at the end of March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KZ3MKraNKY

Pablo Schreiber is Master Chief, Natascha McElhone is Dr. Halsey, and Bokeem Woodbine is a Spartan friend of Master Chief.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
well Halo Infinite turned out good against all odds so maybe it won't suck

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Netflix trailers? Here’s your netflix trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcI6SFiK_yk

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

tired as gently caress of reboots and remakes

but

that looks pretty dope

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looks like it's trying to go for the Halloween sequel money.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Halo movie looks dumb as poo poo. The first few games were alright, an interesting concept then it just got mired in it's own mess. And the "look" of Halo only works for video games and just looks cringe worthy in real life.

I hate "gritty reboots" but I would have liked the see the idea of Halo sort of pared down into something less "Saturday Morning TV show". Coulda been fun.

edit: TCM reboot looks pretty fun.

"Try anything and you're cancelled bro." lol

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 31, 2022

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

precision posted:

well Halo Infinite turned out good against all odds so maybe it won't suck

So the Halo is now a magguffin? Not a Banks Orbital? Or?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BonoMan posted:

And the "look" of Halo only works for video games and just looks cringe worthy in real life.

There's been a couple of live action Halo commercials and it's looked like generic sci-fi. Nothing noteworthy about it either pro or con. There's also some pretty accurate cosplay out there and, again, it looks like fairly standard sci-fi miltech. Not quite sure what's cringe-worthy about it, maybe you want to post a pic?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's been a couple of live action Halo commercials and it's looked like generic sci-fi. Nothing noteworthy about it either pro or con. There's also some pretty accurate cosplay out there and, again, it looks like fairly standard sci-fi miltech. Not quite sure what's cringe-worthy about it, maybe you want to post a pic?

Post a pic? Just watch the trailer again.

I guess if you're starting with the "standard sci-fi miltech" being acceptable to you then you're not gonna have a problem with it.

But the chunky generically kitbashed and not-very-functional nonsensically plated armor look has been bad from the start. It's acceptable in video games because video games are dumb fun. But I just can't take that look seriously. It's just cheesy.

EDIT: if I really start to think back on it. The mil-spec look of Halo - environments and all - is just very uninspired save for a few things. I get that it was basically inherited from the Xbox 1 game which... it served a repetitive "hey look just put some grooves in it and it looks like a techy panel... nobody will care!" function. But when that gets extrapolated to a modern version it just looks cheap now and has no personality.

Also I know I'll be in the minority with this. I think I just wish more had come from Halo. It had such a good start!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 31, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I just can't get behind your perspective. Video games are not always dumb fun and movies are not always smart work (the opposite of dumb fun, I suppose). And I do think there's a niche for near-future tech that looks like modern stuff with a few more doodads bolted on. But thank you for taking the time to illustrate this for me, I do appreciate it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't see how TCM is a reboot? It's a sequel like Halloween '18. Or was that considered a reboot? Isn't reboot telling the entire story again with a new cast?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

I don't see how TCM is a reboot? It's a sequel like Halloween '18. Or was that considered a reboot? Isn't reboot telling the entire story again with a new cast?

The hot thing to do now is to take an old movie and give it the sequel/remake treatment where you basically follow up on the original while also replaying the same beats for the most part. See: Halloween, Ghostbuster, The Matrix.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 31, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vintersorg posted:

Or was that considered a reboot? Isn't reboot telling the entire story again with a new cast?

I always consider a reboot to be a jumping in point for new people while containing elements from the original. I don't think it has to do the same storyline again personally, but that seems to be popular as it's a proven formula and people tend to like that for nostalgia reasons. Then they can go hog wild with their own story in the inevitable sequel, which is usually a good thing as sequels to the original were probably dogshit anyway.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I just can't get behind your perspective. Video games are not always dumb fun and movies are not always smart work (the opposite of dumb fun, I suppose). And I do think there's a niche for near-future tech that looks like modern stuff with a few more doodads bolted on. But thank you for taking the time to illustrate this for me, I do appreciate it.

To clarify - I meant the Halo video games are dumb fun. Not all games in general. I just failed to write that. I've played tons of non-dumb-fun games in my life.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I gotcha, but since I am a huge fan of Battletech 3025 - the very definition of dumb-rear end blocky impractical milshit - it's just an aesthetic clash.

My initial reading of your post was that they had taken it in a bad direction but it's just the same ol' chunk that it always was, for better or worse.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

rebooting is when you reactivate something that is turned off or disabled

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I gotcha, but since I am a huge fan of Battletech 3025 - the very definition of dumb-rear end blocky impractical milshit - it's just an aesthetic clash.

My initial reading of your post was that they had taken it in a bad direction but it's just the same ol' chunk that it always was, for better or worse.

Copy. Yeah my original post was supposed to read that "it feels just like Halo but literally on screen" and for some reason, it reads as cheap to me in Live Action. Not entirely sure why. Oh well. I'll still watch probably.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

precision posted:

so maybe it won't suck

lol

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The ending to that trailer is :lol:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
we should start calling them "rebakes"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Dire.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/mikexnichols/status/1488214512545189898?t=0N1FbM_LL9pdeVrbgMWj6g&s=19

IMDB Trivia so grain of salt etc, but lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The hot thing to do now is to take an old movie and give it the sequel/remake treatment where you basically follow up on the original while also replaying the same beats for the most part. See: Halloween, Ghostbuster, The Matrix.

as the new scream calls it, a requel!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nothing in that looks as scary as this simple scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrQTEGgKdGo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
edit: nothing to see here.