Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hope there's no trophy for getting all of Gau's rage. FFVI is a brilliant game but also a complete mess of half-baked mechanics.

There is absolutely going to be a trophy for getting all of Gau's rages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'm gonna get them all

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Snow Cone Capone posted:

There is absolutely going to be a trophy for getting all of Gau's rages

And all of Strago's blue magic.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Vermain posted:

Might just be nostalgia talking, but I'd honestly love an RPG with this kind of 3D pixel art format.

hello have you heard of octopath traveler?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Like I'm not just being facetious, the FFVPR achievements make it pretty clear they're basing them on completion, and not "remotely reasonable to get all the achievements"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Best take a walk across an entire continent all so my white cat-rabbit-thing can learn a little dance I will have no use for.

Of course getting 100 in FF7 was so much worse. Who missed Ramuh who was lying on the floor for some reason?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 1, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What an incredibly useful description

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I don't think old-school RPGs are for you.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

I'm gonna get them all

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gaius Marius posted:

Look up Green Cherry and give one to Umaro.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Eight-Six posted:

fake edit: this reminds me that the ff6 t-edition is out there, does anyone have firsthand experience with it? curious about that as well

I'm in the WoR with a full collection of party members, but haven't poked at much else yet. I'm enjoying it a lot! Some thoughts:

Magic being incredibly OP in vanilla FF6 is a neat integration of gameplay and story, and the hack manages to preserve that feel while also making it less of a Win Button and improving character distinction. Magic itself isn't any less powerful, but between limited mp pools and no esper stat bonuses, characters that aren't dedicated mages can't really afford to spam spells and often have better damage options anyway. There's also a distinct jump in the difficulty curve when enemies start using magic regularly that helps it feel appropriately dangerous.

Somewhat related, the fight command is actually something you might want to use sometimes, because most other actions now have a significant delay attached to them.

One of my favorite little details is that the Falcon's interior plays the theme for whatever character you have at the front of the party. It's cute. :3:

My biggest criticism is that there's a lot of clunky UI borne of twisting FF6's engine into doing things it was never meant to. I'd kill for a proper sidequest tracker, for instance. Also, while I haven't really had to grind at all, there's definitely an intended level curve to a lot of the WoR content that isn't always signposted very well, and picking a fight that you're not ready to handle yet won't go well for you.

It's actually really interesting comparing this to BNW because they take such a different approach to things. BNW is very much a comprehensive mechanical overhaul of the game's systems, but outside of the questionable dialogue changes and that thing with Celes on the floating continent (is this even still in the most recent version?) the content is unchanged. Meanwhile T-Edition has a bunch of extra content, but is still mostly the same game under the hood.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Eight-Six posted:

Fake edit: this reminds me that the ff6 t-edition is out there, does anyone have firsthand experience with it? curious about that as well

I'm working my way through it right now. I just got Strago and Realm. Pretty close to baseline FF6 so far, just a lot harder. I've fought multiple bosses that have kicked my rear end until I either got some levels or came up with a new strategy. One thing I really love, leap is gone Gau just gets rages by fighting enemies. Not just on the Veldt too, anywhere. He hasn't left my party except for story mandated spots. The new sidequests are cool, but there aren't many of them yet. I've heard things diverge from regular FF6 more in the WoR. Hopefully that will include more sidequests

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

That's definitely a Woolsey thing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Woolsey had to contend with a deadline and a character-limit, since the budget for localization in those days was about two spring rolls and a diet coke.

I think he missed a huge payday or something by tapping out before FFVII became a monster-hit.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Cattail Prophet posted:

BNW is very much a comprehensive mechanical overhaul of the game's systems, but outside of the questionable dialogue changes and that thing with Celes on the floating continent (is this even still in the most recent version?) the content is unchanged.
Yeah I basically consider the "Vanilla New World" patch that comes with BNW to be the only way of playing it. The dialogue is so stupid otherwise.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Woolsey had to contend with a deadline and a character-limit, since the budget for localization in those days was about two spring rolls and a diet coke.

I think he missed a huge payday or something by tapping out before FFVII became a monster-hit.

:colbert: I would have quit on the premise that Ultros was not going to be a major reoccurring character

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Cattail Prophet posted:

It's actually really interesting comparing this to BNW because they take such a different approach to things. BNW is very much a comprehensive mechanical overhaul of the game's systems, but outside of the questionable dialogue changes and that thing with Celes on the floating continent (is this even still in the most recent version?) the content is unchanged. Meanwhile T-Edition has a bunch of extra content, but is still mostly the same game under the hood.

That is still in the mod. It feels really cheesy and unnecessary, but being able to get Shock on Celes is really cool

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
woolsey's translations owned

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Woolsey? No no, it’s WoLsey the original warrior of light

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Woolsey was the master of something we didn't even know was an art form at the time, and I hate how long it took the internet as a whole to recognize that work rather than dismissing it because it had differences to the original script.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Just finished FFX again, this time I did every single optional fight except Penance. It annoys me that there's essentially 1 valid strategy for fighting it, but it annoys me even more that I feel incomplete for not beating it.

Is it possible by following a guide to do a 1-run 100% of FFX-2, or do you absolutely have to do more than 1 playthrough?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think it's possible but I followed a guide and still ended up at 99% somehow so it's not worth it imho

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cleretic posted:

Woolsey was the master of something we didn't even know was an art form at the time, and I hate how long it took the internet as a whole to recognize that work rather than dismissing it because it had differences to the original script.

He sucks because he did an interview saying that if it were up to him he'd completely dump the storyline & characters from the original and rewrite everything to be more 'western' and the only actually worthwhile things from JRPGs were the graphics and sound.

That was 25 years ago but I can still hold a grudge

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Just finished FFX again, this time I did every single optional fight except Penance. It annoys me that there's essentially 1 valid strategy for fighting it, but it annoys me even more that I feel incomplete for not beating it.

Is it possible by following a guide to do a 1-run 100% of FFX-2, or do you absolutely have to do more than 1 playthrough?

I did it with a guide, just don't accidentally miss anything.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can 100% X-2 in one go, but you shouldn't. There are way too many variables that can mess up and few things feel worse than thinking you had it all good but during the credits you realize you never talked to moogle Yuna in the first 5 minutes of the game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sakurazuka posted:

He sucks because he did an interview saying that if it were up to him he'd completely dump the storyline & characters from the original and rewrite everything to be more 'western' and the only actually worthwhile things from JRPGs were the graphics and sound.

The 90s were a crazy time ok

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Why would you 100% X-2 to get the worst ending?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Sakurazuka posted:

I might not entirely disagree with him, as a lifelong fan the graphics and music are the only things I'm actually still finding myself nostalgic for these days and every translation of 6 other than Woolsey's has been unbearably dry

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cursedani/status/1488190236798631940?s=21

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would've loved shadow when I was 13

I beat the first two scenarios, just have lockes left. Tetras was pretty whatever, Bannon is such a nothing character and Edgar and his brother are both lame.

Shadow and Sabine was more interesting. But the tone is all over the place. The empires soldiers are jumping at windows and poo poo during the siege, then Leo leaves and the whole water supply gets poisoned. It's supposed to be tragedy but it just feels comical. Holding out hope that Cyan is cool so I can have at least one party member I like

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When I was a kid I thought Shadow was the coolest and I also thought his theme tune was extremely badass

Gaius Marius posted:

Edgar and his brother are both lame.

Shadow and Sabine was more interesting.

You know Sabin and Edgar's brother are the same dude, right? Or do you just mean that Sabin is lame when he's hanging out with Edgar but less lame when he's running around with Shadow?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Shadow and Sabine was more interesting. But the tone is all over the place. The empires soldiers are jumping at windows and poo poo during the siege, then Leo leaves and the whole water supply gets poisoned. It's supposed to be tragedy but it just feels comical.

I think it was a deliberate attempt to soften the blow. Mass murder on the scale of Doma, especially when it's made more personal with Elaine and Owain, is some pretty hefty subject matter for a 1994 SNES RPG. I think you could get away with playing it as straight tragedy nowadays, especially with the increase in visual fidelity since then, but I don't blame them for erring on the side of caution back then.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think part of it is just the pacing of an SNES JRPG, too. None of the SNES FF games really linger on things the way a modern FF would. Most story sections are over a lot faster than they would be these days which can lead to sections with really different tones coming within a half hour of one another, just because things just sorta keep moving right along.

Even FF7 does it, really. I remember even at the time I thought it was really jarring that within like a half hour of a party member's tragic death I was playing a snowboarding minigame.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly I feel like FFVII’s wild mood shifting weirdly worked in its favor. It was just very odd and unsettling in a Twin Peaks kinda way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh absolutely. The remake keeps the wildly different tones intact and it's one of its greatest strengths.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if the remake didnt keep the silly and odd tone of the original then it would have sucked imo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Why would you 100% X-2 to get the worst ending?

I'm a gigantic dork and I like a happy ending

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You know they never explain why Cyan and that other guy are the only ones not to get poisoned. I'd like to think its because they're both such incurable lushes that they never drank water, just straight booze all day and all night, unknowingly saving themselves.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

SettingSun posted:

You can 100% X-2 in one go, but you shouldn't. There are way too many variables that can mess up and few things feel worse than thinking you had it all good but during the credits you realize you never talked to moogle Yuna in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Yeah this. Don't do it. The game was designed around 2 playthroughs to get 100%. Doing it in 1 playthrough will be stressful and not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kinda crazy that it took so long for "do the other route in NG+ to 100% X-2" to become common advice.