Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Looking for a decent humidity resistant greenhouse fan. I have a 6x8 greenhouse I want to make nice for the Spring with some shelves, mulch and paver floor, and a good fan. Consdering just a basic lasko fan; we have one on our deck that has seemed to weather the elements under the roofline for a year without issue, but wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

I thought I'd build some shelves for it but holy gently caress 2x4s are still expensive as hell. Likely going the wire shelf route like what is posted a few posts up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Had to move my plants today in the back of a pickup truck in 25 degree weather. Excited to see how bad I've hosed them up.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
It is dry as gently caress in my house this winter and my fig looks like it's getting the poo poo kicked out of it despite my mistings.

No sagging or anything but I'm getting some leaf drop. Some of the spotting looks more like root rot, which is a little bewildering to me since the soil gets really dry really quick. Is that possible?

Thinking I can maybe move it closer to our backdoor so it will get more light and some distance from a vent. Cat palm also looking crunchy and sad.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

No sagging or anything but I'm getting some leaf drop. Some of the spotting looks more like root rot, which is a little bewildering to me since the soil gets really dry really quick. Is that possible?

It's certainly possible. They are prone to it and how dry the top of the soil is doesn't necessarily reflect the rest of the pot. Does it have a drain in it? How often are you watering it? Also realize that how much water a plant uses is relative to how much light it gets, so if it's getting very little light it will also be using very little water.

You can always pull it out and take a look. Rotting roots should be pretty obvious (dark/mushy instead of light/firm).

As far as I can tell misting does virtually nothing to improve humidity for plants unless you're doing it like, once an hour.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Wallet posted:

It's certainly possible. They are prone to it and how dry the top of the soil is doesn't necessarily reflect the rest of the pot. Does it have a drain in it? How often are you watering it? Also realize that how much water a plant uses is relative to how much light it gets, so if it's getting very little light it will also be using very little water.

You can always pull it out and take a look. Rotting roots should be pretty obvious (dark/mushy instead of light/firm).

As far as I can tell misting does virtually nothing to improve humidity for plants unless you're doing it like, once an hour.

I water between once and twice a week in the winter. It's generally bone dry at least a hands-span down the pot and it's got proper drainage. You can see in the pic I also have a soil moisture meter, which I don't think is actually worth a drat, but is at least useful for digging into the soil to see how to feels. Always quite dry! I've moved in front of our glass door and pointed a little grow light at it. Maybe more light will help. It's a bit of a monster, so would be hard to pull from the pot, but maybe I'll try later.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fiddle Leafs love lots of diffused light. Place next to a southern-facing window with the linen curtain drawn to about 50% diffused and just water as normal. I have done this with a couple FLFs that were struggling and it seems to be what they like in my experience.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Fiddle Leafs love lots of diffused light. Place next to a southern-facing window with the linen curtain drawn to about 50% diffused and just water as normal. I have done this with a couple FLFs that were struggling and it seems to be what they like in my experience.

Oh that’s great to know I put mine next to the front door, east facing, which has windows with that frosty poo poo on it so you can’t see through very well. Well lit but no direct sun at all

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I went back to Lowes because I wanted to buy one of those triple-ponytails. Every single one was full of mealybugs. I told the plant section employee and he was like "again? I'll get the Dawn" and sprays them all down with a spray bottle of dawn+water. You'd think they'd at least be able to expense some proper insecticidal soap. I guess I'll hope they show up someplace else...

My FLF and palms are doing okay in the winter but we have a furnace-attached humidifier and it keeps it at 30%. That's about as high as I can crank it before the windows are getting puddles. The only thing that's suffering is a Dieffenbachia that I tried to do in low-light ~200lux. It has symptoms of low humidity but I think it'd be able to handle that if it had more light, so I moved it to the bathroom that has more of both and I'll put a pothos in the low-light spot. The Calathea and Pepperomia are thriving in the same situation with the Dieffenbachia failed.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

It's generally very dry in my apartment, especially in winter, and I don't mist or run a humidifier ever. The only thing that seems to struggle in my place is rex begonias. I don't think a FLF actually needs the humidity boost if you're watering regularly and it's getting enough light. Mine lived in a west window (right above where the radiator ran, even) happily until it got too big and I passed it on to someone else with more room.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea I should state I live in Southern California and do not humidify or do anything special for my FLFs beyond the light I mentioned and regular watering. The humidity here is routinely pretty low and they are thriving.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Does look like some light root rot. The roots weren't mushy or decayed, but some were looking a little darker and unhealthy. Looking at my pot, the drainage holes were all in the middle, which is slightly raised, so water may have pooled in the lower area. I just aired it out, drilled a bunch of holes and repotted it closer to the glass door and now we'll wait and see.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

skylined! posted:

Looking for a decent humidity resistant greenhouse fan.

I am pretty humidity resistant, but I am not so sure about my decency.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

subpar anachronism posted:

It's generally very dry in my apartment, especially in winter, and I don't mist or run a humidifier ever. The only thing that seems to struggle in my place is rex begonias. I don't think a FLF actually needs the humidity boost if you're watering regularly and it's getting enough light. Mine lived in a west window (right above where the radiator ran, even) happily until it got too big and I passed it on to someone else with more room.
I've got a rex begonia and a begonia maculata both thriving in 30% humidity next to west-facing windows. Like you said as long as they're getting enough light and watered regularly, humidity doesn't seem to be an issue, but I imaging that some folks without a humidifier get a lot dryer than 30%.

Chad Sexington posted:

Does look like some light root rot. The roots weren't mushy or decayed, but some were looking a little darker and unhealthy. Looking at my pot, the drainage holes were all in the middle, which is slightly raised, so water may have pooled in the lower area. I just aired it out, drilled a bunch of holes and repotted it closer to the glass door and now we'll wait and see.

Maybe a touch but certainly things could be a heck of a lot worse. If root rot gets bad enough you can tell quickly by the rancid smell, too.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

subpar anachronism posted:

So I've got a rex begonia and now that I finally have a window in the bathroom I've been keeping it in there. Its not great sun by any stretch of the imagination, but its the most humid part of the otherwise bone dry house. We'll see how it goes.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

Maybe a touch but certainly things could be a heck of a lot worse. If root rot gets bad enough you can tell quickly by the rancid smell, too.

Oh for sure and the lack of mushiness or smell was good to see. Just having a hard time squaring away it NOT being root rot with the appearance of the spots on the leaves.

Spring can't get here soon enough. This FLF loves it outside.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So I have an opportunity to buy a monstera albo for $300 locally, which is attractive because I've wanted one and shipping in the winter is a gamble. It also could end up paying for itself if, if I can successfully sell chops or props. Couple issues/concerns to go with the opportunity:

It's in leca, which I haven't worked with before. I would have to buy some supplies, but it could be fun to learn about
It is leggy as gently caress. Not on a pole, so it's just grown kinda like a pothos - vined out to 6 or 7 leaves but all lobed and not pinnated/fenestrated
Small patch of rust-looking coloration on the back of 2 of the leaves
It's been chopped twice before, and the new variegation isn't as stable as the base of the plant

Otherwise it looks healthy. I am going to look at it tonight and see if the rust coloration is due to fungus, pest damage, edema etc and maybe leave with it. I'd probably end up chopping it and selling cuttings, and trying to start over with the mother plant, but want to get opinions.

edit video from seller: https://i.imgur.com/IUXnukV.mp4

skylined! fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 31, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

skylined! posted:

edit video from seller

I mean, I wouldn't pay $300 for a plant in that condition, but I'm also not really tapped into the market for trendy tropicals so what do I know? I haven't had issues with plants being shipped as long as they are packaged correctly and they have appropriate heat packs.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Saw it in person and it's healthy, bought it. Will know in a few months if it was a steal or if I just set $300 on fire.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

That's a $300 plant? drat. The pictures online of fully healthy ones do look pretty sweet, though, so keep us updated :)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I've seen a single stem cutting on one go for almost 1/3 that price. Tulip Mania is real y'all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I've seen a single stem cutting on one go for almost 1/3 that price. Tulip Mania is real y'all.

just wait until somebody manages to make a philo Pink Princess into an NFT

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Nosre posted:

That's a $300 plant? drat. The pictures online of fully healthy ones do look pretty sweet, though, so keep us updated :)

Ya it looks pretty gnarly but it has $300 worth of cuttings to take, at least, lol. The aerial roots are very healthy with new green growth, which means propagation should have a good chance. I have $30 worth of airstone and water pump stuff headed my way to properly propagate, so after a few weeks of acclimating it'll get the chop.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Ya this factored heavily into the decision. People around me are paying $100-$200 for an unrooted 2-leaf cutting with very little hesitation.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Are those particularly rare and desirable? My mindset is more along the lines of cuttings should be free/cheap. That's how I have most of my houseplants, including a huge monstera.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

Are those particularly rare and desirable? My mindset is more along the lines of cuttings should be free/cheap. That's how I have most of my houseplants, including a huge monstera.

99+% of the houseplants available in the hobby started life as a cutting, including the big expensive ones at your favorite plant store

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

skylined! posted:

Ya it looks pretty gnarly but it has $300 worth of cuttings to take, at least, lol. The aerial roots are very healthy with new green growth, which means propagation should have a good chance. I have $30 worth of airstone and water pump stuff headed my way to properly propagate, so after a few weeks of acclimating it'll get the chop.

I have the best luck using rock wool in the basket and rooting gel from a weed grow store is good too if you don’t have anything else, only costs a couple of bucks extra but both will guarantee all those cuttings root

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

99+% of the houseplants available in the hobby started life as a cutting, including the big expensive ones at your favorite plant store

Fair enough, but is that what plants sell for these days? Like, I don't have a favorite plant store, because I'm too cheap to buy them in the first place. Those prices appear higher than what I had imagined plants would sell for, unless it was something really rare and desired.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

B33rChiller posted:

Fair enough, but is that what plants sell for these days? Like, I don't have a favorite plant store, because I'm too cheap to buy them in the first place. Those prices appear higher than what I had imagined plants would sell for, unless it was something really rare and desired.

That's a rare varietal with the coloration. It's very similar to the tulip color craze, but a plant is worth the money you're satisfied paying for it.

Monstera are very easy to root, and they start doing it before you even take the cutting. The cost is in the time and materials, usually. Sometimes you pay for rarity too.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Wait wait wait are you telling me I could spend $100 on some seeds of this plant and then sell the whole plant for a thousand dollars?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Variegated tropicals that aren't commonly sold by the big box stores tend to go for a lot of money - they are either carefully grown stateside by small scale greenhouses or private growers, or have to be shipped from overseas - Indonesia, Ecuador, etc. Monsteras are super trendy right now, and their variegated counterparts reflect the price/demand, mostly because they don't exist at walmart or home depot. A foot tall thai constellation variegation will sell for $400+ pretty easily; mint variegations get into the thousands.

If you want to get a sense of what variegated tropicals are going for, check out myriad facebook groups that are dedicated to buy/sell/trade; they give a better sense than storefronts like Etsy that just have a sale tag on them that may not reflect what people will regularly pay. I saw an auction last week on one group for a variegated black cardinal philo that started at $800 and ended at $1600 over 24 hours. poo poo's nuts.

i am harry posted:

I have the best luck using rock wool in the basket and rooting gel from a weed grow store is good too if you don’t have anything else, only costs a couple of bucks extra but both will guarantee all those cuttings root

Awesome, I will look into it. My propagating methods to this point have all been moss in boxes or just straight up water with some rooting hormone.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 1, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

With plants you’re usually paying more for time and care rather than rarity (although you definitely pay for rarity). Also for size/greenhouse space/etc.

Getting a really big, really old plant that is perfectly shaped and free of scars/injuries/defects/evidence of past illness/etc takes seasons—potentially years—of careful and proactive work and care, and growers expect to be compensated for that.

Because of this, pricing on plants tends to go up in a more exponential/logarithmic/curvy way than linearly.

A 5 year old maple sapling or 2’ picea or 4” barrel cactus might run you $10-30. The next step up, maybe a difference of 5-10 years, might bump the price up to $100.

Specimen plants that are 15, 20, 30, 50, 60+ years old will easily cost hundreds to thousands, to many thousands of dollars.

There’s also a big price delta depending on the size/scale of the producer and seller. Costa Farms is a massive operation with industrial scale state-of-the-art production facilities and multimillion dollar sales volume through places like Home Despot, so they can afford to grow up and crank out tons of clones at rock bottom prices.

A family-owned nursery supplying a handful of area plant stores that all have limited floor space and rely on in-person buyers to handle their inventory is going to result in a plant selling for a very different price vs its Costa Farms equivalent, regardless of which plant is healthier/more vigorous/better looking/etc.

To give another example: I recently saw two gorgeous 8-9’ Strelitzia nicolae at my local fancy place. $599 a pop.

If nobody buys and/or one starts to look rough, they’ll probably let it go at 50% off at the end of the season.

Meanwhile, I have two S. nicolae at home because I like making terrible decisions. Costa or Vigoro or somebody like that grew them for Home Depot and I paid $40 for the pair. Right now they’re between 3’ and 4’, but they should hit a similar height to the ones at the nursery in about 3-5 years (really it depends on light and environment and whatnot, but they’re generally pretty hardy).

If Home Depot had plants like the local place they’d probably sell for ~$199-250 at most. Maybe $299. Is that to say that the local place is overpriced? Arguably. They overprice on some things and underprice on many others, and lots of things are fairly priced, or as fairly priced as they’re going to be because you’re never going to find them at a big box store.

And don’t even get me started on how bonsai are valued/priced.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

So if I wanted to grow some plants and then sell them and use that money to offset the cost of my light, what are some good species to start off from seed?
I mean, obviously I’m already offsetting it with all the weed I’m growing but there’s so much extra space.
Here’s my shed avocado tree:

skylined! posted:

Awesome, I will look into it. My propagating methods to this point have all been moss in boxes or just straight up water with some rooting hormone.
I find that you often end up with weird black growth on the stem and it takes 2-3x as long. Maybe the hormone washes off a bit too?
Open the rockwool like a clam, nestle the hormone covered cutting in it, gently close the rockwool around it, shove it in a basket and put a neoprene top on it or just some reflective metal tape, or a layer of perlite…something so the rockwool doesn’t get light. Then put it in the hole in the container lid you’ve made or whatever, and just get the very bottom of the rockwool in the water. It’ll wick up into the rest of it without being fully dunked. This will allow roots that form to both go into the water and stretch out into the air cavity between water surface and lid.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 1, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

i am harry posted:

So if I wanted to grow some plants and then sell them and use that money to offset the cost of my light, what are some good species to start off from seed?

I had some luck this year selling about $100 of titan sunflowers (at $5-$10 each depending on size) locally this year after buying a pack of 100 seeds for like $4. I have probably a thousand seeds left over from flowers that will get planted soon. They were cool as poo poo and fun to watch grow - the root system gets dense fast though, so container size is going to limit growth. I think my 5ft tall flowers were in 10 inch pots, fully filling them with roots. The bees also went nuts for them. That's about my experience, though.

Tropical seeds tend to be prohibitively expensive as well, as it's harder to get aeroids to flower outside their native habitats and the seeds I see for sale are often intentional cultivars, anthurium crosses, etc. I still see seedlings for a lot of philos go for $100+ though.

quote:

I find that you often end up with weird black growth on the stem and it takes 2-3x as long. Maybe the hormone washes off a bit too?
Open the rockwool like a clam, nestle the hormone covered cutting in it, gently close the rockwool around it, shove it in a basket and put a neoprene top on it or just some reflective metal tape, or a layer of perlite…something so the rockwool doesn’t get light. Then put it in the hole in the container lid you’ve made or whatever, and just get the very bottom of the rockwool in the water. It’ll wick up into the rest of it without being fully dunked. This will allow roots that form to both go into the water and stretch out into the air cavity between water surface and lid.

This is helpful!

edit I can't see mention of avocado trees without sharing the largest one I've ever seen. This is in Ecuador, Banos de Agua Santa on a mountainside. The canopy had to have been 60 feet across at least, and the avocados were used at a local restaurant on site. Yours is pretty too :haw:

skylined! fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 1, 2022

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

man id love to just move somewhere and spend the rest of my life growing plants.. I want to know what you would recommend tropical plant wise. Is that monstera the most expensive or are there others like it that can fetch lots of hundreds for something that’s less than 2’ tall.
I have a shed full of weed, a $1000 light plus three others, an air conditioner/dehumidifier, an exhaust filter fan, and I’m currently in the process of sealing all the cracks, painting the whole inside in white latex, and putting together a foam insulation cover on the attic door.
So I can get this shed into the 80s in both temp and humidity if necessary and the weed won’t mind.

I dont want to sound uncouth, like im barging in and demanding how to turn our hobbies into a profit, but drat if you're willing to pay that much im happy to take orders and try to grow these things in my shed

i am harry fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 1, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

skylined! posted:

This is helpful!

I'll double that gel rooting hormone is worth the couple bucks (it lasts a long time unless you're doing a lot of cuttings), as I've found that it works better than the powdered stuff.

The thing to know about rooting in actual water (as opposed to a moist medium) is that in my experience you end up with a lot of secondary roots but few if any tertiary/feeder roots so when you move it to a medium you still basically need to root the cutting again. It often feels like it's easier to root things in water, but I'm not convinced that's actually true.

skylined! posted:

Tropical seeds tend to be prohibitively expensive as well, as it's harder to get aeroids to flower outside their native habitats and the seeds I see for sale are often intentional cultivars, anthurium crosses, etc. I still see seedlings for a lot of philos go for $100+ though.

Seeds are also much harder to verify unless they're from a known seller (someone can just sell you regular seeds instead of seeds of some rare variety and until you put a bunch of time in you won't know) and, probably more importantly, a lot of the sports/mutations that people find super desirable are not stable for non-vegetative propagation.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Because of this, pricing on plants tends to go up in a more exponential/logarithmic/curvy way than linearly.

All of the rare plant poo poo that has been created by instagram/etc where a cutting is worth $100 or whatever is scarcity based, so if you want to try this be careful not to get left holding the bag. Prices for a large shrub or tree or something is based on the time/care/etc that went into growing it long enough to reach that size which makes that price fairly stable, but because of how trivial it is to propagate most popular tropicals the markets for them can crash very quickly.

Anyone who buys one can take a few cuttings to try and recoup without much effort, and one or two nurseries that are serious about making a particular plant/variety available is often enough to drive prices down close to the cost of production. On the plus side this is one of the best ways we have of combating the poaching of rare plants.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Wallet posted:

All of the rare plant poo poo that has been created by instagram/etc where a cutting is worth $100 or whatever is scarcity based, so if you want to try this be careful not to get left holding the bag. Prices for a large shrub or tree or something is based on the time/care/etc that went into growing it long enough to reach that size which makes that price fairly stable, but because of how trivial it is to propagate most popular tropicals the markets for them can crash very quickly.

oh this is good info ill just keep growing weed but the offer for special orders still stands!

Wallet posted:

The thing to know about rooting in actual water (as opposed to a moist medium) is that in my experience you end up with a lot of secondary roots but few if any tertiary/feeder roots so when you move it to a medium you still basically need to root the cutting again. It often feels like it's easier to root things in water, but I'm not convinced that's actually true.

yeah i think a hefty chunk of rockwool is great for giving the plant a base to spread its foundation. you can then just plant it with the rockwool. might be necessary to cut the basket off if the roots get too thick before you move it but hydroponic baskets are like $.25 each so its no loss.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 1, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

i am harry posted:

oh this is good info ill just keep growing weed but the offer for special orders still stands!

There are plants that have a significant value because they are difficult and time consuming to propagate/grow, but that's not exactly free lunch. That isn't to say you can't make money from having extra grow capacity. I know there are/were some folks making decent amounts selling small rooted cuttings of popular shrubs and poo poo like that in bulk to nurseries that grow them out.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

i am harry posted:

No no no I want to know what you would recommend tropical plant wise. Is that monstera the most expensive or are there others like it that can fetch lots of hundreds for something that’s less than 2’ tall.
I have a shed full of weed, a $1000 light plus three others, an air conditioner/dehumidifier, an exhaust filter fan, and I’m currently in the process of sealing all the cracks, painting the whole inside in white latex, and putting together a foam insulation cover on the attic door.
So I can get this shed into the 80s in both temp and humidity if necessary and the weed won’t mind.

The challenge with a lot of sought-after aroids is that you can't anticipate variegation via seed because it's a mutation, so you're stuck with cloning which is timelocked by plant growth; and a lot of anthurium and syngonium don't reliably produce seed. You also need multiple plants for pollination if you are after seeds - I see people literally trading pollen from inflorescence in some plant groups. They just scrape and mail, lol.

There are small commercial outlets on Etsy that specialize in growing variegated monstera from cuttings and seem to do pretty well selling for $200 to many thousands but I imagine they had to spend a lot of money sourcing mother plants to propagate.

Anthuriums and rare philodendron, syngonium, monstera etc can still capture a lot of money for the right plant, if you can find seeds. Cuttings are way more reliable, though, but again, require investment. If may be worth looking through Ecuagenera's website at what they sell as a commercial global tropical shipper out of Ecuador to get an idea of pricing on mother plants and see if it's worth your time. Philodendrons are pretty easy to grow and propagate, for instance, and some of the more rare varieties can go for $50/cutting for non-variegated types. This is going to change based on whether you want to try and ship nationally or what your local market is, though.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 1, 2022

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I recently started work propagating rare tropicals for a small concern here in the US. We have 4 greenhouses and are adding a 5th and are 5 employees large. Since we cannot compete on price/margin my boss semi-regularly flies to Ecuador and Peru to collect rare species (often that have never been for sale before anywhere) from private lands with permission/export licenses/phyto/etc. This allows us to set prices that aren't razor thin and that means we don't have to sell a zillion plants per second just to keep the lights on. Obviously this means our prices are pretty high which I think sucks but you don't absolutely NEED that Begonia darthvaderiana (that one got imported... Thailand don't gently caress around).

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 1, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I recently started work propagating rare tropicals for a small concern here in the US. We have 4 greenhouses and are adding a 5th and are 5 employees large. Since we cannot compete on price/margin my boss semi-regularly flies to Ecuador and Peru to collect rare species (often that have never been for sale before anywhere) from private lands with permission/export licenses/phyto/etc. This allows us to set prices that aren't razor thin and that means we don't have to sell a zillion plants per second just to keep the lights on. Obviously this means our prices are pretty high which I think sucks but you don't absolutely NEED that Begonia darthvaderiana (that one got imported... Thailand don't gently caress around).

This is cool as poo poo and I'd be really interested in browsing pictures and galleries if yall have any online.

I love Ecuador. Some friends expatted there a while back and we didn't want to leave when we visited.

i am harry posted:

yeah i think a hefty chunk of rockwool is great for giving the plant a base to spread its foundation. you can then just plant it with the rockwool. might be necessary to cut the basket off if the roots get too thick before you move it but hydroponic baskets are like $.25 each so its no loss.

Could you possibly share a picture of your setup with this?

skylined! fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Anyone who buys one can take a few cuttings to try and recoup without much effort, and one or two nurseries that are serious about making a particular plant/variety available is often enough to drive prices down close to the cost of production. On the plus side this is one of the best ways we have of combating the poaching of rare plants.

also worth pointing out that there’s currently a lot of attention being paid to monsteras, philodendrons, and alocasias, with larger/more stable producers jerking the prices around a lot.

Mirror face alocasia has gone from hundreds of dollars to $25-50 a 4” now that lots of nurseries are making their own.

Philodendron “birkin” was super super hot a few years ago, got rolled out as a $15 Trending Tropical last year by Costa, and now every nursery is making their own and selling them for $10-$50 depending on size.

WRT monstera I think you want to be extra careful right now.

Costa and a few others have been building up stock of albo and Thai constellation monstera for the last two+ years. The promise was we’d start to see them in 2021 but COVID appears to have slowed that process down and demand for normal type monstera was super high last year, so I think a lot of the real estate that would’ve gone to propagating and growing up more variegated plants went to blasting out a ton of those—but maybe 2022! I saw a YouTube interview with the guy that runs Costa a few months back and he was saying “very very soon”.

Either way, just know that a few big players in the hobby have been openly saying for years now that they imminently intend to flood the market and pop the monstera bubble, so my advice is to not go plowing thousands of savings into building a plant flipping op if it depends on making insane profits indefinitely.