Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Not as good as the last episode but still among the best of this series. The opening was glorious with Space Raylen in full effect. The shot of the moisture vaporators was great as well, it set a real nice scene for a drug deal!

I think the star wars TV shows are, SO FAR, at their best when they are just vibing. I'm hoping Obi-Wan & Andor have some tighter plotting, where things truly matter and tension is built scene by scene, but I would devour entire series of just episodes like this & ep 5. Show us star wars people loving around in star wars universe. Give us good camera shots, gorgeous planetary vistas, and discussions of the force. Show us cool blaster show downs and droids and aliens.

Luke's deep faked voice was odd, but I kind of liked his dialogue. He doesn't know what to do as a Jedi Master, the only one he knew was a loving weirdo that talked funny. Lifting all the frogs was a great way to reach through to Grogu's interests and show the power of the force. I loved baby yoga. The ant droids are just a great example of VIBING - some clever world building.

The Jawa Sandcrawler with the huge krayt skull was sick AF & Cad Bane walking in through the haze of the sun was ominous as gently caress. I was wondering how they'd make him look in live action as Duros are pretty weird. He looked pretty good, I think they did him justice! The loving deputy getting SMOKED was brutal.

I kind of want Cobb to survive, help Boba, and get foundling'd into some mando armor as payment. Give that man some loving armor!!!

Where as I think BDH gets something about the essence of directing good star wars TV, Filoni is obviously in touch with the writing essence of what makes good star wars TV. He might dip into his own well of characters a little too often, but I can't fault him for building layers and connections and wanting to explore them. He knows his poo poo.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Ancient weapons and hokey religions are no match for a phase-pulse blaster and set of beskar covering your rear end, kid. Just ask Timothy Olyphant.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think you nailed it about why these shows work more than some of the movies. I have friends who don’t care much about Star Wars look at this show mystified anyone likes it.

But it’s really about the vibe. The best moments in Star Wars, the films OT, PT or ST or even the spin offs are the moments where the world just exists and people move through it. You get a view of different cultures and ideas through just visuals. It’s not plot driven or even really character driven. It’s world building but done in a way that’s actually interesting because it presents these worlds as is, and your imagination goes.

I’ve said it but I would straight up watch a show about people in Star Wars. No plot. Just life in the galaxy.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Ahhhh!

I assume Vanth is alive and either only wounded or gets modded up to keep him alive, although maybe not heavily involved in the next episode. Same goes for Garsa in the club, who I suspect might just be burnt or otherwise hurt, since it seems like a major waste of the character/Jennifer Beals to just kill her like that. I think they’d want to do more with her, but who knows…

The second they showed that silhouette in the distance my mind went holy poo poo is that gonna be Cad Bane and I grinned like an idiot as it got closer and the hat became obvious.

But yes, the irony that the titular character has now gone two episodes without a single line of dialogue is not lost. I think (Hope?) they’re setting up more for later, but I’m not going to complain because these last two episodes have been fantastic Star Wars stuff and that’s all I really care about.

Also I half expected Grogu to force grab both the shirt and the lightsaber at the same time, but I suspect him going back to Din is inevitably the set up for season 3 of Mandalorian.

Gonz posted:

This episode.

THIS EPISODE.

Are you fuckin’ KIDDING ME?!?

Filoni you mad bastard!

:hmmyes:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I think you nailed it about why these shows work more than some of the movies. I have friends who don’t care much about Star Wars look at this show mystified anyone likes it.

But it’s really about the vibe. The best moments in Star Wars, the films OT, PT or ST or even the spin offs are the moments where the world just exists and people move through it. You get a view of different cultures and ideas through just visuals. It’s not plot driven or even really character driven. It’s world building but done in a way that’s actually interesting because it presents these worlds as is, and your imagination goes.

I’ve said it but I would straight up watch a show about people in Star Wars. No plot. Just life in the galaxy.

Definitely, and this episode mixed together a bunch of quintessential Star Wars stuff.

You've got the straight-up spaghetti Western imagery with Cobb and Cad, the Samurai movie stuff with the training in the bamboo forest, and the quasi Buddhist themes with Filoni just making Luke the Buddha under the Bodhi tree:

basically everything I dig about the franchise in one ep

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Between the last two, and episode 2, I’m fine with this show as is. Not amazing. But I’ve enjoyed watching it, but really loved less than half, which honestly, all good.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
How friggin long do duros live...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

I just rewatched that scene. Max Rebo is not present at the club when the bomb goes off. I’m pretty sure he’s safe.

I kinda liked his droid replacement. Rebo knew.

E: Max Rebo ending up on Jabba’s throne would be awesome

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fartknocker posted:

Ahhhh!

The second they showed that silhouette in the distance my mind went holy poo poo is that gonna be Cad Bane and I grinned like an idiot as it got closer and the hat became obvious.

I was the same drat way. Grinning hard as gently caress cus once I saw the silhouette I was just in awe

But uh, while I loved seeing Luke and I believe they did great with him and it made me feel like it really was loving Luke right there did anyone else just… not like him?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Luke is such a moron hahaha

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes!

Dave gets it. He’s setting up his gently caress up in TLJ and it rules.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm going to set up my OWN Jedi Temple and do things right this time. Now, the first thing is to ensure my students are completely emotionally crippled...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No evidence Luke Said he was gonna do it right. He was going to do it according to the way

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

CelticPredator posted:

A Playtime remake set on Coruscant with some wookiee bumbling about lost in an office building then meeting an housewife from an Alderaan tourist group at a hotel Jizz band party and everyone just having a nice time dancing the night away. I'd watch it.

Bismuth posted:

How friggin long do duros live...

Less than Yodas is all I got..! Maybe they're like Wookiees, those dudes live for a long time too.

I do feel bad for poor Boba, currently ranking 4th on the Menacing Bounty Hunter scale in his own show. Din will hack you to pieces, Krrsantan will rip you to pieces, and the other fella will just fill you full of holes in the blink of an eye. But I guess we all gotta get old and slow down sometime.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rival school set by William Zabka could have helped with healthy competition but alas

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

teagone posted:

Holky gently caress. Luke deepfake looks insane.

They still keep him off-camera or at long distance as much as possible for dialogue. It's much better here than previously but it's a bit awkward once you see it.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I hate that they nuked EU luke who dropped most of the jedi bullshit and made him just follow the same flawed lovely footsteps as the old jedi

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
For a second I hoped Vanth was going to say "Yeah, I'm going to help you... but I'm gonna need that armor back."
And then Din would say "Sure thing."
And then you'd have an interesting plot hook for later.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Why is the dialogue so terrible and bizarre? Like why is Ahsoka saying any of the things she's saying? And Luke suddenly saying 'will i see you again' when she turns around, this is just embarrassing, no thought put into getting from plot point to plot point at all.

I felt kinda bad for Rosario Dawson, a proper actor, not only for having to try and deliver that with her only characteristic seemingly being 'mysterious', but for having to interact entirely with a CGI computer man and a dubbed armour guy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

VagueRant posted:

Why is the dialogue so terrible and bizarre? Like why is Ahsoka saying any of the things she's saying? And Luke suddenly saying 'will i see you again' when she turns around, this is just embarrassing, no thought put into getting from plot point to plot point at all.

Star Wars

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

VagueRant posted:

I felt kinda bad for Rosario Dawson, a proper actor, not only for having to try and deliver that with her only characteristic seemingly being 'mysterious', but for having to interact entirely with a CGI computer man and a dubbed armour guy.

Minor correction, only Luke's face and voice is deepfaked, the rest of him is a physical body double. But yeah, some of the dialogue was odd. Perhaps last minute script changes, or some other disruption during production.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Anita Dickinme posted:

But uh, while I loved seeing Luke and I believe they did great with him and it made me feel like it really was loving Luke right there did anyone else just… not like him?

I loving hate him now. Never make me chose between cool and good, like I have to go one path, and can never go the other. You are not Morpheus.

I still like him a bit, but I feel they put a lot of wheight on his shoulders with that cliffhanger

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

i’m glad that grogu chose the chainmail

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The montages in this show are :chefkiss:

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Grogu FINALLY gets his little Lone Wolf and Cub moment! Huzzah!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

lumpentroll posted:

i’m glad that grogu chose the chainmail

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." Lol what dumbasses are Jedi

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

nine-gear crow posted:

I just rewatched that scene. Max Rebo is not present at the club when the bomb goes off. I’m pretty sure he’s safe.
Max Rebo is the mayor, the ultimate power behind the scenes

Thundercracker posted:

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." Lol what dumbasses are Jedi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtxzmF0MsXs

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 2, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Holy poo poo I thought EVERYONE was in this then 40 minutes a cameo I didn't expect from the cartoons.

I'm glad they deliberately just had him scowl menacingly when offered the chance to do a "hey kids its---" name check.

Its funny that they did 4 eps of tepid boba action and just said "gently caress it mando season 3 ep 0 and .05."

I honestly care 10,000% more what character class Grogu selects than if Mos Espa falls to the Pikes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
MISSING: Has Anyone Seen These Two?
https://twitter.com/AventineIss/status/1488528725444820995

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is the same franchise that had a character say “somehow Palpatine has returned” verbatim after the man was last seen pinballing down a death star shaft and exploding in a giant fart cloud.
https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1234360824124317696

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 2, 2022

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
This was a Good Star War very nice I like it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

TVIV > Star Wars TV Megathread: The Book of Everyone But Boba Fett

:hmmyes:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I respect Filoni for giving us the lead up to Luke being an absolute dumbass dipshit recreating the worst traditions he only barely understands

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Bismuth posted:

I hate that they nuked EU luke who dropped most of the jedi bullshit and made him just follow the same flawed lovely footsteps as the old jedi

I'm reasonably sure the vast majority of Jedi Master Luke from the EU predated Episode I, so it wasn't so much dropping, as they just extrapolated from Obi-Wan's teachings

This episode: Boy, Luke sure is being an rear end for someone who put it all on the line for others with minimal training, multiple times. But yeah, this is how you get to a Luke that's in hiding alone without a connection to the force (as in the beloved film, The Force Awakens)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

Also the Jedi temple was straight out of The Last Jedi so gently caress yes Dave, thank you. You get it.

It was a totally different temple though, wasn't it? Like, was Luke recreating a temple he had never been to?

Mostly I loved the episode. I could have used a scene where Luke and Ahsoka first met, but that clearly happened earlier off camera, so whatever. All the Vanth stuff was great, and Bane looks amazing in live action. I loved the sandcrawler with the dragon head on it, and the bar having the dragon rib cage in it now. But I agree that Luke's dialogue felt really weird. Both in the writing and in how it sounded. Every time he talked, it took me out of it. Also, he's a really lovely teacher. "Uh, feel the Force. Or, I don't know, get the gently caress out." Also, way to start off recreating all the problems of the Jedi, buddy.

Everything else was great, though. Cad Bane, proper badass.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

luke literally did the "put the dog equidistant between us and see which one he goes to" with grogu, only he made it a point to be holding a milkbone and wait till Din was off world lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

luke saw shogun assassin and t hought this was cool as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGItefWwA5s

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It feels like the plot of Cobra Kai right now. "YOU MUST CHOOSE ONLY ONE SIDE!@ mY SIDE"

I don't really remember/didn't really see a lot of the Ahsoka episodes where she rejects the Jedi way. Is there a particularly good reason why she'd be looking at Luke doing this same ol' Jedi stuff here and going "Hell yeah, this is totally the right way to do things" or does that actually fall in-line with her development over the years?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo Luke force hopping Grogu so he could keep up was the most sickening adorable thing ever put on screen

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

thrawn527 posted:

Mostly I loved the episode. I could have used a scene where Luke and Ahsoka first met, but that clearly happened earlier off camera, so whatever.

I assume we're going to get this as well as a huge Anakin/Vader info dump from Ahsoka in her series. Luke's gonna be in that for sure since deepfake Luke is going to be a regular thing apparently.

Also lolling hard that the Book of Boba Fett is most interesting when he's not in it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I don't really remember/didn't really see a lot of the Ahsoka episodes where she rejects the Jedi way. Is there a particularly good reason why she'd be looking at Luke doing this same ol' Jedi stuff here and going "Hell yeah, this is totally the right way to do things" or does that actually fall in-line with her development over the years?

i was also very curious about this, i have not watched those shows but i thought she was super sour on the jedi traditions and now she's smiling and helping luke be like "any acknowledgment of people you love is unacceptable"