Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

After a year and a half (of mostly procrastination) I finally finished my HO scale Jawn Henry steam turbine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivcGHjBoDbQ

This is how it looked when I got it:

Original drivetrain:

Updated drivetrain. This image also shows 1 of the 5 tungsten weights I added and the DCC decoder, as well as the speakers in their 3d printed enclosures in the background:

Poor first attempt at a paint job on the locomotive:

Baking attempt #2, fingers crossed:

Now that's more like it:

Decaling wasn't as difficult as I expected. All in all I'm pretty happy with the results for my first brass locomotive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So I guess there are some really talented train people in here, hey?

Because I can't find what I want commercially available and lack the skills to do it myself, I'd love to commission anyone willing to take on a project for me.

It would involve scratch building a motorised chassis for a T scale loco. Maybe an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 tank with simple driving rods? All materials (wheels, etched parts, printed shell, gears, motor etc) are available, I just don't have a clue as to how to put it all together. Painting not required, all costs paid up front.

If this sounds like the kind of hellish nightmare you'd like to partake in for money, please PM me.

I expect zero takers, but hey worth a shot.

e: the more I look into this the more outlandish it seems... Fitting a motor in anything but a small diesel shunter seems like a massive pain. Ah well.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 3, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

New project! I've been thinking of redoing my airbrush spray booth for a while now. My current unit was two of the typical cheapy hobby units bolted together, with a hood that had to flare out widely to give me the space I needed. Not ideal, not as quiet as it could be, and the ergonomics of it were lacking. Then I remembered I had a big box fan sitting in closet taking up space, so I decide to build a new booth based around that.

The box fan is the main body, which I created a hood for out of translucent corrugated plastic board, sometimes know as Coroplast or Fluted Hi-Core. These means the entire hood will transmit light from my powerful overhead LED shop lights. That attaches with a high-strength velcro strips. I also added in some inward angling wood strips, which I then attached LED strips to for even more lighting. The 45deg inner angle means they light what I'm working on, without blasting me in the eyes. RGB's as well, so I can tune the color of the light depending on what I'm working on. The filter is a standard furnace filter, which conveniently comes in the exact same dimensions as the box fan. I put in a small retaining slat at the top of the fan with some scrap wood to hold filter in place, while being loose enough I can pull the filter out easily when it needs replacing, which will be much cheaper and easier to obtain than the filters for the hobby spray booth. And then I bought a new lazy-susan just for the heck of it to replace the old and dirty one I had been using before.

This gives me more space than my old booth in both vertical and horizontal, and more suction with less noise. Win win!

That’s neat. What are you doing for exhaust?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

nitsuga posted:

That’s neat. What are you doing for exhaust?

Straight into my lungs.

There is no exhaust. I live in a lovely condo that has no windows except the sliding door to the deck, and that's 20 feet away. Not a huge issue though, I only shoot acrylics, and wear a respirator while doing so. The furnace filter will catch all the particulate, so the only thing coming out the back might be an odd acrylic smell, if even that.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Well poo poo. My side project is a Rye Field Model Sherman Firefly and I've been slogging through a really finicky, tedious track build. Come to find out, the kit provides exactly enough track links and grousers needed for the kit. Many of the grousers broke during the build, so now I'm short materials for about 2" of tracks on one side. I highly doubt I'll be able to get another single sprue (ebay was a bust already), so best I can hope for is to buy a whole new set of aftermarket tracks and start this whole goddamn process over again.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Gewehr 43 posted:

Well poo poo. My side project is a Rye Field Model Sherman Firefly and I've been slogging through a really finicky, tedious track build. Come to find out, the kit provides exactly enough track links and grousers needed for the kit. Many of the grousers broke during the build, so now I'm short materials for about 2" of tracks on one side. I highly doubt I'll be able to get another single sprue (ebay was a bust already), so best I can hope for is to buy a whole new set of aftermarket tracks and start this whole goddamn process over again.

Can you put the tracks without grousers underneath where you can't see them anyway?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
A new step for me: LED lighting in a diorama. Turns out building the drat thing is half the battle, you also have to photograph it correctly.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 4, 2022

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gewehr 43 posted:

Time for a diorama of the Firefly with knocked out tracks!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Time for a diorama of the Firefly with knocked out tracks!

Or a figure with a wrench in his hand looking quizzically at a pile of links, like a drunk college student with their first Ikea furniture.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Or a figure with a wrench in his hand looking quizzically at a pile of links, like a drunk college student with their first Ikea furniture.

And the title plaque on the dio will be "... poo poo's hosed."

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Holy crap youtube found a neat little diorama. The person took a ekranoplane model and made a diorama of it in a similar situation as one does in real life. Up on a beach. This includes rusting up the model along with building the beach scene it resides on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhxD0XVecRM

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Surprise! That kit's a bastard.

Glue the remains in place as best you can with regular cement so you've got a fused length, then mark it so it'll be on the top run. There shouldn't be any track sag, so as long as nobody pokes it and notices it's not flexible, you should be okay. Bonus points if you're building the version with the fenders, which will hide a multitude of sins.

NB: Absolutely do not glue the fenders on before you get the track on.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Honestly, up till now it's been great. If they threw one more track sprue in the box in consideration of the fiddliness of the track build, I'd be tickled pink.

I like some of the ideas I'm seeing here. I'll finish up my main project and figure out what to do with the firefly.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Sash! posted:

A small engine terminal wouldn't take up a whole lot of space, depending on what sort of area you'd be willing or able to go with. Not much more moving around than shuttling between the inbound track, processing, storage (if needed), and moving to the ready track, but still something. The Europeans, especially English, do more of this style than North Americans, in part because of the size difference between our equipment (a British 2-10-0 of the 1950s was considered enormous at 66 feet long and is the largest they have to contend with. A North American locomotive of the same wheel arrangement was 82 feet long and average sized.).

So I went looking for shunting plans and there is a very pervasive layout that keeps coming up. Called the Inglenook Shunting Puzzle. The idea is set up where you have 3 tracks. One holds 3 wagons, and the other two sidings hold 2 wagons each. Or rather, each of those spots has a maximum capacity. The output track spot can hold the shunter and 5 wagons. The goal is basically without using the hand of god (you can't physically rearrange the wagons), to see if you can rearrange the wagons out of the yard to a specific order on the main line. You can either just sit down and play out whatever idea hits you or do something like dice to roll for the order you try.

Here is a website with all kinds of information about it as I mentioned. The cool thing is that you can open track the operation as I mentioned earlier. The end track where you marshal out can be set up to connect to another section in the future if pursue it. You can even go further and the spur with the 3 wagon capacity could be connected as well to be a mainline that you then have to shunter dance the other cars in and around.

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/sw-inglenook.html

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The interesting thing about the Inglenook is that it isn't unrealistic. A lot of the puzzle types require track arrangements that no one would actually build in reality.

On the other hand, Inglenook uses a fairly common track arrangement that comes up in warehousing and bulk liquid transfer. Here in Alexandria, Virginia, we used to have a warehouse on the waterfront where barges brought paper up from the South. The paper was transfered to boxcars and then moved across town to the facility that prints the Washington Post. Shuffling the loads, empties, partial loads, and different grades of paper req the types of moves that Inglenook uses. This wasn't all that long ago either. Barge service was discontinued in 2013 and now the lower volume of paper made an all rail move from the paper mills economical.

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost

JuffoWup posted:

Holy crap youtube found a neat little diorama. The person took a ekranoplane model and made a diorama of it in a similar situation as one does in real life. Up on a beach. This includes rusting up the model along with building the beach scene it resides on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhxD0XVecRM

This is really cool, thanks for sharing!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Hooray! A little research this morning revealed that AFV Club sells and aftermarket track kit of the style that I need for my RFM Firefly. As added bonuses, they're $9, and they're one piece vinyl. The other options were Bronco tracks at $16 and 4 pieces per individual link, and Model Kasten resin at $60 and 4 pieces. Wooo! I'll take single piece vinyl any day for something that uses live tracks.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Now when you're not building models in your spare time, you can build models in your other spare time.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1164250/Model_Builder/

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Now when you're not building models in your spare time, you can build models in your other spare time.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1164250/Model_Builder/

I'm not buying this game unless it can accurately depict ruined paint jobs, losing parts to the carpet monster, and of course fumes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
How does it model the two most common parts of model building: buying kits you will never have time to build and complaining on the internet that your airplane didn't come with swastika decals?

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

How does it model the two most common parts of model building: buying kits you will never have time to build and complaining on the internet that your airplane didn't come with swastika decals?

And of course moaning that the newly announced kit by [manufacturer x] is in the 'wrong scale' and declaring it 'fatally flawed' after peering at some CAD renders and that if they had any sense they'd kit some obscure 1930s prototype aircraft that never flew because it would 'make them millions' instead of yet another spitfire.

We joke that the model building is really two distinct hobbies - building kits, and collecting kits. I'd suggest it's actually three, the third being 'complaining on the internet about kits'.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Uhhh, the bolt heads on the tank were spaced 6 inches apart, but this model depicts them as 5.75 inches apart. Clearly this model is beyond trash, and I shall register my distaste on the internet forthwith. Tamiya will surely go out of business because of this shocking blunder.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's one of the reasons I love the lovely Airfix "HO/OO" kits. They're terrible, but in interesting ways that tell you something about the history of the one tank in Bovington that Airfix used as a reference model. Knowing how and why they ended up wrong is itself interesting.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
And yet there’s another group of modelers out there filling forums with posts about how they’re converting an italeri wessex Westland in 1/72 scale into an accurate representation of the aircraft that flew using nothing but plasticard and materials found in the home.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What's the point of knowing all this cool stuff if you don't build it?

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

And yet there’s another group of modelers out there filling forums with posts about how they’re converting an italeri wessex Westland in 1/72 scale into an accurate representation of the aircraft that flew using nothing but plasticard and materials found in the home.

Then there's the masochists who willingly choose to do vacform kits when there's perfectly respectable injection moulded alternatives of the subject, just because they can. And for that, I have nothing but respect.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Arquinsiel posted:

That's one of the reasons I love the lovely Airfix "HO/OO" kits. They're terrible, but in interesting ways that tell you something about the history of the one tank in Bovington that Airfix used as a reference model. Knowing how and why they ended up wrong is itself interesting.

I found that with my Beaufighter. There's a museum piece where they installed the horizontal stabilizers on upside down or something, because the actuators are on the dorsal side instead on the ventral. The kit dutifully copies this, so I cut them off and rebuilt them

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

You'll be pleased to know that spirit still runs strong in Airfix, as their latest 1/72 Mosquito B.XVI was based off lidar-scanning a museum piece that at some point later in life had been converted into a target tug, and so the kit unwittingly duplicates the raised features on the bomb bay doors of a TT.35 - much to the gnashing of teeth and declarations of 'fatally flawed!' by certain corners of the internet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am pleased to know this. It's great.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Uhhh, the bolt heads on the tank were spaced 6 inches apart, but this model depicts them as 5.75 inches apart. Clearly this model is beyond trash, and I shall register my distaste on the internet forthwith. Tamiya will surely go out of business because of this shocking blunder.

God I wish you were kidding.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Just finished IBG's 1/700 HMS Ilex, a really nice wee kit. I can definitely recommend their range of destroyers as they have good references, clear instructions, come with a decent fret of photoetch and only cost about £12. IBG seem like a manufacturer to look out for as they broaden their scope, I think just now they mainly focus on Polish 72nd aircraft, 72nd armour and 1/700 British/Polish destroyers.

I took this as an opportunity to have my first go at making a sea base from tin foil and pva glue and I'm more or less pretty happy with how it turned out. I think the wake is maybe a bit overdone and in future I might tone it down a bit, or try a different method, but it was a good experience experimenting with different techniques and seeing what worked and what didn't. It was a lot easier than I expected though, and I didn't have to fart around pouring resin.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That base looks pretty good, do you have a tutorial or something you used?

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

That base looks pretty good, do you have a tutorial or something you used?

I followed the basic steps in this video, but I didn't bother buying stuff like acrylic medium or anything I didn't already have lying around, so it's a bit more simple than what he did. I used Woodland Scenics 'Water Effects', which is effectively just a pva glue that stays in place and can be 'sculpted' to a certain extent, so I used that to build up some of the waves around the hull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuntDtSWizY

There's some incredible sea diorama videos out there that just blow my mind, though - especially Studio Blue Ocean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkBhu655BGk

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Uh, yeah. Well, whenever you notice something like that, a field mechanic did it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gewehr 43 posted:

God I wish you were kidding.

As you can assume, us model railroad guys have the same level of "this travesty shall not be forgotten" over things. But, there's this company named Athearn. If you're in HO, you own something that they made. They are one of the biggest players around.

Now, they used a common one piece casting for the underframe and floor for virtually every variation on a boxcar. There were three parts that are glued to the underframe that represent the brake equipment.

The entire brake system is backwards.

The reference they used was a top down look, but they mistook it for a bottom up look. This makes the whole thing mirrored.

They've been making them this way for 60+ years. If you can dodge that bullet for that long, you can dodge anything.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, speaking of HO, Witness the dumbest argument on possibly the entire internet

Though the entire "Train Scale" discussion is several flavors of crazy. There are four distinct scales for N, all so close together I think all the scales are compatible?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

idgi none of that is about how many days are in a week

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd7_STihkZ4

New series where people build small things. Might be of interest to some of you!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, speaking of HO, Witness the dumbest argument on possibly the entire internet

Though the entire "Train Scale" discussion is several flavors of crazy. There are four distinct scales for N, all so close together I think all the scales are compatible?
That's a perfect microcosm of a German girl I used to know, who spent several years getting very angry that Ireland does things "wrong" and then got more angry at Ireland not caring :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's because N defines a gauge (9mm) not a scale, and combined with real-world railroads having various gauges, you get stuff like "american" N being 1:160 and "japanese" N being 1:150. They work together just fine because all the important parts are the same size, but they can look kinda weird side by side.