Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
The trick is to dip in and out of hiatuses so frequently and with such bewildering timetables that no one's sure the author was ever real at all, like some kind of cryptid. The schedule is never broken; there was never a schedule to begin with. The ancients say that when the moon is full, the winds are calm and the stars are right, some updates may appear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Last Ship in Suzhou randomly stopped and then came back for 1 or 2 chapters after like 2 or 3 months. Then it's been gone again for another month lol.

Hexcaller is the most egregious, randomly stopping right before the freaking final battle of the book. I think it's been about 6 months but I gave up checking on it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Larry Parrish posted:

Last Ship in Suzhou randomly stopped and then came back for 1 or 2 chapters after like 2 or 3 months. Then it's been gone again for another month lol.

Lol. Even Lung's discord has stopped whipping him at this point, they're all posting wordle grids.

He did say last night that a new chapter would be out "tomorrow", and for what it's worth he generally does not say that sort of thing unless he means it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Lol. Even Lung's discord has stopped whipping him at this point, they're all posting wordle grids.

He did say last night that a new chapter would be out "tomorrow", and for what it's worth he generally does not say that sort of thing unless he means it.

I'm not mad at him it just makes me sad lol

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

catgirlgenius posted:

I AM misrepresenting it just a tad. It is only about 5% earnest horror per pound, give or take. The author is as good at horror as they are at portraying the close emotional bonds that are part and parcel of writing what is basically "the Fellowship of the Ring traveling through Qud".

But horror is punchier.

dangit I forgot the link. this concludes my lovesick advertisement

I wish you would write a few sentences instead of quoting pages and pages.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Maguoob posted:

Missed updates is whatever, but at the very least Beware of Chicken's author does update Patreon with a general message. Some authors just flat out vanish. No message, no nothing, just stop updating. Like they don't need to get into details, just be "Hey I'm having issues and won't be able to write/post more chapters for an unknown amount of time." Though I guess social anxiety can play a big part in to that.

Also I like the person complaining about a certain author deleting reviews and then being all I read the rules. I'm fairly certain that Royal Road isn't going to see mentioning whatever amount someone makes on Patreon as a fair or valid criticism for a review on RR itself. The review has obviously been deleted and I can't go back in read it, but the person has the whole "why have I been banned?" energy when the response from mods is usually like "showing your dick on stream" or "racial slurs".

I like how that entirely misses the point that I CAN'T delete reviews.

Could you imagine if authors could delete reviews?

Also, the admins are fairly reluctant to actually delete reviews. It's gotta be really out there. I've got a bunch of reviews I don't think are fair at all, and I'd happily delete them.

Then, while I'm at it, lemme delete everything that's not 5 stars....

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sibling of TB posted:

I wish you would write a few sentences instead of quoting pages and pages.

I'm glad they didn't because if they posted "this story is good" I might have looked at it, but instead they posted all that and now I won't be fooled.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Selkie Myth posted:

I like how that entirely misses the point that I CAN'T delete reviews.

Could you imagine if authors could delete reviews?

Also, the admins are fairly reluctant to actually delete reviews. It's gotta be really out there. I've got a bunch of reviews I don't think are fair at all, and I'd happily delete them.

Then, while I'm at it, lemme delete everything that's not 5 stars....

All the reviews of BtDEM complaining about sexism existing in fantasy rome are really loving weird, but if I hadn't started reading the series before those reviews existed it could have been an example of where the negative reviews got me to try a story because stupid complaints about things that aren't a problem usually means that the story is at least decent.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Plorkyeran posted:

All the reviews of BtDEM complaining about sexism existing in fantasy rome are really loving weird, but if I hadn't started reading the series before those reviews existed it could have been an example of where the negative reviews got me to try a story because stupid complaints about things that aren't a problem usually means that the story is at least decent.

At the same time, I wish I'd known - and played - "the game" a little better when I was starting out, and had a 5-star review as my top review. The top review stays due to inertia, and I dunno how many people have gotten turned off by a 2 star review being on top. Makes me a bit sad to imagine what could've been.

Oh well. I'm doing well enough for myself. Glad to hear that they got you interested!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I do think it's weird, since normally magic = equality. But I appreciate the direction you took, and the fact that you created a unique story to stand out (also gently caress those haters). I read enough trash isekei manga where every single plot point is predictable, slave girls are cool, and japanese soy sauce is godlike.

BtDEM feels genuinely (as far as a web serial can go) surprising in plot direction with a unique (isekei) character and social interactions beyond people salivating at fellating the MC.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Chillyrabbit posted:

I do think it's weird, since normally magic = equality.

It's usually more of "author didn't want to think about the causes of oppression = equality". Rome's view on women was less that they had to stay home because they were weak and more that Rome needed more Romans and so women should not do things which get in the way of churning out babies. Adding magic to the mix doesn't really change that.

I don't have a problem with stories which just don't want to deal with discrimination and handwave it away and say their fantasy society is egalitarian, but it's one of the many things about your generic fantasy societies that aren't very realistic and don't make a lot of sense if you think about them too much.

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012
Don't know if anyone reads Virtuous Sons here, but today's chapter is probably the best single webserial chapter of anything I can remember reading.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Brucolac posted:

Don't know if anyone reads Virtuous Sons here, but today's chapter is probably the best single webserial chapter of anything I can remember reading.

virtuous sons is great but i have to admit i'm not a huge fan of the flashback arc. griffon and solus are just way more interesting characters

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

Jazerus posted:

virtuous sons is great but i have to admit i'm not a huge fan of the flashback arc. griffon and solus are just way more interesting characters

Yeah, the flashback definitely went a few chapters long, but it finished with a bang big enough to make up for it imo.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
TUTBAD 75: I loved Mizuki aghast at Alfric actually pausing to consider whether he wished she were a boy instead. Way to read the room, Alfric!

edit: Alfric's nonchalant demeanor as he casually explains why Mizuki is a less-than-ideal candidate for backup archer is also hilarious. I can see the future already:

Mizuki: Look, I'm just gonna ask it flat out. Do you like me?

Alfric: I suppose.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 4, 2022

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Argue posted:

The ebook version of The Last Tide (the TWI spinoff comic) is out (backers only at the moment I think) and it comes with pirateaba's script for the comic, and... the script is literally a 30k chapter. Pirate just wrote a 30k chapter and that's what the artist turned into the comic.

Did you get your copy? I got an email from Cloudscape, confirmed my order, everything should be fine, but I haven't gotten a copy yet.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If you backed physical, you... don't get an ebook copy unless you explicitly added one. I think you can still add your order on backerkit. Also I seem to recall someone saying that if you neglected to fill out the survey you may not get the ebook--but they emailed someone on Cloudscape's end and got it sorted out.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I only backed the digital copy, I remember filling out their survey and that was selected, they even emailed me to confirm it.

E: from the confirmation email

quote:

Pledge Summary

C$7 REWARD
The Ebook Part 2 - This tier is for people who have already bought Part 1, complete your Ebook collection with part 2

Narmi fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 4, 2022

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Did you receive no link at all? There could be some confusion since in the download it's called part 1 but has both parts. If you got nothing at all, you'll have to contact Cloudscape.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Nope. The order status on backerkit says "We received your order" so that went through, I got an email confirming it but the only link is back to the survey to edit it. I sent them an email, hopefully this can be resolved soon.

e: just got the download link, dunno why it didn't go through at first but it's here now.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 4, 2022

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bought physical, didn't realize it didn't come with an ebook.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

How is practical guide shaking out? I lost interest during the Praesi arc because....I dunno I just felt like it was really boring somehow.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Xun posted:

How is practical guide shaking out? I lost interest during the Praesi arc because....I dunno I just felt like it was really boring somehow.

That arc was pretty meh till the end when it gets back to the standard quality level and has continued there since.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Xun posted:

Not going to lie, it slowed down a lot in Praes and then stayed slow with a lot of army stuff up through the invasion of the Kingdom of the Dead, which is I think is the weakest facet of the story. There’s a couple high points, specifically at the end of the Praesi arc and when the Warden of the West story comes back into focus, but it spends far too many chapters describing troop movements via casualty reports from messengers.

Now, however, we have proper named (and Named) characters in the thick of things in Keter, and we’re back to the good stuff: gritty fights against ancient evils, clever plots undone by cleverer plots, the twistingly malevolent schemes of the Intercessor, and Catherine being an awful little villain who refuses to die. It’s back to being very fun and I’m back to looking forward to it every Monday and Thursday evening.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's very close to finished. Very very close.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I was planning on waiting for Book 6 of Prac Guide to be finished before reading it, but I have a feeling if I do that I'll read spoilers for it in this thread way before I get the chance to catch up :v:

I feel like the series varies a lot in quality just based on how interesting the antagonists of the arc happen to be. I enjoyed Book 5 a lot more than 4 just for that reason.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I stopped in early 2021 when it came back from break because the chapters are relatively short and the next chapter button doesn't exist at the bottom of the chapter in reader view. Just too much of a pain to read for what it was doing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

nrook posted:

I was planning on waiting for Book 6 of Prac Guide to be finished before reading it, but I have a feeling if I do that I'll read spoilers for it in this thread way before I get the chance to catch up :v:
Book 6 has been done for a long time, we’re deep into 7.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!
I was under the impression pracguide is wrapping up this month. I subbed to their patreon a few days ago, which let me binge on all the extra chapters I'd missed out on. Strong contender for best :5bux:

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
It's very near the end. Each book has taken about a year to write, Book 5 was 01/2019 - 11/2019, Book 6 was 01/2020 - 01/2021, Book 7 started 03/2021.

If you go by chapters+interludes, it's been (respectively) 127, 104 and 96 (so far). And chapters for Book 7 have been longer than most as well.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The author stated in a Patreon poll in early January that Book VII was on track to finish in February.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Just want to say that Ar'Kendrithyst is getting better and better and that I love it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

TUTBAD 76: Okay this chapter didn't have a lot in it but I'm pretty stoked for the Lola stuff finally coming to a head. Really curious for what she's got planned and how the party will react.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Only Villains Do That - I was not expecting literally any of the second half of the chapter. Kastrin was a great character but can't wait to see what the fallout of this disaster will look like.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Virtuous Sons is done with the side story and we return to a banger of a chapter. Solus <3

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI Patreon: Hectval loves aspic. Time to burn the city down and salt the earth.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Cicero posted:

TUTBAD 76: Okay this chapter didn't have a lot in it but I'm pretty stoked for the Lola stuff finally coming to a head. Really curious for what she's got planned and how the party will react.

You were right to be stoked.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TUTBAD: Lola is pathetic, like Alfric said. Her plans are lazy, she is petty and not half as clever as she thinks. I have the feeling she is out of the story for good after this.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Cynic Jester posted:

You were right to be stoked.
Yiiiissssss it was good. Good plan, good use of entads we’d already seen so it wasn’t an asspull. Especially the subversion of expectations with the Anyspoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:allears: