Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sup Minnesota garage buddy. I'm looking at what it would take to insulate and heat my detached garage now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Thanks to all that helped me with my questions. Just ordered a veritas jack plane, a ryoba and a dozuki, a honing guide, a 12' combo square, a quick square, a marking gauge, a striking knife and a glue bottle. I can't wait to just start playing around making basic things to understand how all of those tool works. I'll probably be back soon to ask more questions.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 3, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Since you're buying a very very nice jack plane, your first project probably isn't "flatten this new plane's sole" so I would suggest making a shooting board as your first project, since it's easy, and it'll enable additional projects, and also give you the thing you need to start practicing using your jack plane for shooting!

But if that doesn't sound fun, that's fine too, you can live without one for a while.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Leperflesh posted:

Since you're buying a very very nice jack plane, your first project probably isn't "flatten this new plane's sole" so I would suggest making a shooting board as your first project, since it's easy, and it'll enable additional projects, and also give you the thing you need to start practicing using your jack plane for shooting!

But if that doesn't sound fun, that's fine too, you can live without one for a while.

Shooting board
bench hook
hand-carved Vladamir Putin butt plug

That's traditional hand-tool woodworking for ya

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Leperflesh posted:

It does sound fun and I was just looking at a few videos of shooting board earlier this morning so I was already considering it. Seems like it would be extremely useful to make pretty much anything else. I might make a mallet first though, because that sounds fun, easy and impossible to mess up.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

KingColliwog posted:

I might make a mallet first though, because that sounds fun, easy and impossible to mess up.

Woah there now, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like the paul sellers-style removable handle mallet: I'm on my 3rd head for mine because I was using subpar wood. The current one is made from a chunk of elm firewood and it seems to be holding up for now. The handle will outlive me.

I do most of my chisel work with a round carving mallet I made from an oak limb

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

It does sound fun and I was just looking at a few videos of shooting board earlier this morning so I was already considering it. Seems like it would be extremely useful to make pretty much anything else. I might make a mallet first though, because that sounds fun, easy and impossible to mess up.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Then you can use your new mallet and shooting board to make a dovetailed box or tray :getin:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mederlock posted:

Woah there now, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves

Did I just jynx myself? I'm sure a board can be a mallet if you really want it to, so I can probably pretend that whatever terrible thing I end up making is totally a mallet!

CommonShore posted:

I like the paul sellers-style removable handle mallet: I'm on my 3rd head for mine because I was using subpar wood. The current one is made from a chunk of elm firewood and it seems to be holding up for now. The handle will outlive me.

I do most of my chisel work with a round carving mallet I made from an oak limb

I'll take a good look at that, sounds nice and all of Paul's video are pretty amazing.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Then you can use your new mallet and shooting board to make a dovetailed box or tray :getin:

I like how the more I look into it, it seems like project 1 through 25 can be "Make a thing so you can make some other things that will allow you to make something". That's somehow exciting and dovetails boxes seem to be a rite of passage I guess so I'll have to get to that too. Might make a bench first though, we'll see how things go!

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 3, 2022

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

KingColliwog posted:

Did I just jynx myself? I'm sure a board can be a mallet if you really want it to, so I can probably pretend that whatever terrible thing I end up making is totally a mallet!

Nah I was just messing with you. A mallet is a great place to start. The Paul sellers mallet is really popular, but Rex did one on a really cool old design that I want to try myself https://youtu.be/sq3K6dLaquk

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm still working on boxes. This one is better than the previous one!

Made as a leaving present for a work colleague that I will miss quite a bit. Sapele and white oak.

This one was much more fun to make. My miters are getting better too.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

I like how the more I look into it, it seems like project 1 through 25 can be "Make a thing so you can make some other things that will allow you to make something". That's somehow exciting and dovetails boxes seem to be a rite of passage I guess so I'll have to get to that too. Might make a bench first though, we'll see how things go!

A sawbench is another nice project that fits along those lines. https://blog.lostartpress.com/2008/02/10/this-year%E2%80%99s-model-the-2008-sawbench/

Im currently building a new one as I got rid of my old one when I moved. Very handy for much more than just sawing.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I'm keeping up my streak of never buying the right hinges the first time :eng99:. At least the right hinges appear to use very similar measurements.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Summit posted:

Today I learned (and confirmed!) that joints should not be glued up with wood glue below a certain temperature. A temperature which is well above the ambient temperature of my detached Minnesota garage.

Edit:

What I thought would happen: extraordinarily high cure times - annoying but acceptable

What actually happens: glue cures into a useless white dust that provides bond equivalent to cheap super glue

We used to build cabinets onsite and install backend trim in new homes, and while it doesn't get as cold in Oklahoma as Minnesota, it was pretty much a given that the builder was supposed to have heat on by the time trim & cabinet guys showed up. (and we sneered at the framers who had to withstand that lovely cold wind because there's plenty of that)
But yeah, there'd be the cheapass builder or 2 who didn't want to pay to turn on the central heat by the time we got there, and sure enough, those glue joints would be powdered next day.
Welp, too bad for the homebuyer.

Discomancer posted:

Seems likely, the pictures look like it's in a regular garage or something--that looks like a much better deal than the Jet jointer. You can probably disassemble it from the base to move it easier. I'd bring a friend, jointers are hard to move alone. Don't pick it up by the wings!

You've said that twice on the same page. What tf on a jointer are the wings? Do you mean don't pick it up by the beds?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I have a fair bit of leftover plywood from my cabinet drawer project that is almost complete. A couple 1/2”X 8”x60” pieces and figure a straight jig for my circular saw would be a good idea. I have come across 3 general designs:

- track saw style with a sled
- a board with single guide rail
- guide rails on both sides and a slot in middle for the blade (think giant zero clearance insert)

Anything have suggestions? I am leaning away from the track saw style.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Working on a range box project, where I would love to do finger joint, but we don't have a dado set at the workshop, so did a quick test on the router tabe:

Not ideal with not-cheat, but crappy HomeDepot plywood and a very generic straight bit, but it works. Really need to clamp down the work pieces hard, though, so I'm considering throwing money at a dado-set.
Are the cheap sets on Amazon worthwhile at all?
I'll get the first version done on the router (and in plywood), but next version will be in cherry or oak.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The super cheap sets are probably not, it's worth spending $80-$120 on a dado stack. Oshlun 8" with the full plate chippers is an awesome value, but the Freud set is also great and a little bit cheaper.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

The super cheap sets are probably not, it's worth spending $80-$120 on a dado stack. Oshlun 8" with the full plate chippers is an awesome value, but the Freud set is also great and a little bit cheaper.

Having used a crappy dado set, I'll second that I don't think it's a great thing to go super cheap on. The lovely set I used (and have since replaced) created a ton of extra work because it left behind such an uneven surface at the bottom of the cut.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Check around for a used set, that's how I got mine for about 75% of retail.

About that finger joint jig though, I've tried to make one about... I dunno, three or four times now? Is there a trick for putting one together? Do you have an issue with the depth of the gap?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Hypnolobster posted:

Wallet posted:

Having used a crappy dado set, I'll second that I don't think it's a great thing to go super cheap on. The lovely set I used (and have since replaced) created a ton of extra work because it left behind such an uneven surface at the bottom of the cut.

Seconding. I got the Avanti set from HD, it left a very uneven surface and was always hard to set up properly (Everything slid around a ton, so aligning the teeth offset from one another was a juggling act). I upgraded to the Oshlun, not only are the cuts even, it's easier to set up, and there's a 3/32" chipper that makes cutting dados for plywood much simpler.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m mad at Minwax because their stains suck-what do folks like for basic oil stains? Ideally something that might be locally available?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’m mad at Minwax because their stains suck-what do folks like for basic oil stains? Ideally something that might be locally available?

I don’t know if it’ll be in your part of the country, but I switched to Dalys oil stains and they are really easy to use and apply evenly. I will happily never use minwax again.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

El Spamo posted:

About that finger joint jig though, I've tried to make one about... I dunno, three or four times now? Is there a trick for putting one together? Do you have an issue with the depth of the gap?

First test was a bit wonky, but once I figured out how to hold the work piece down, it was quite good, considering cheapish bit and crappy plywood.
Main challenge will be that the long piece I'll do 'for real' will be 2' long, so I'm thinking bracing up the jig on the back.
I was looking at Freuds. It's one of those things I'll use may use every 2 years at most, but then when you do need it....

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I picked up the Diablo set from Home Depot (after deciding against a no-name brand from Menards for $60) but I haven't used it enough to know if it's any good or not. On the plus side, with no experience to compare it to, I probably won't really know if it's subpar!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have some ancient (like 15+ year old) Minwax I had been using and it worked great. I ran out of one color and bought some more of it and it doesn't seem even remotely like the same poo poo, so maybe just leave it in the can for 15 years and it'll sort itself out. I haven't had terrible luck with Varathane's oil based stains in general (they're not amazing but they seem fine and are easy to get a hold of), but I've been much happier using water based dye stain lately (mostly General Finishes).

Wallet fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 4, 2022

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jhet posted:

I don’t know if it’ll be in your part of the country, but I switched to Dalys oil stains and they are really easy to use and apply evenly. I will happily never use minwax again.

Seafin teak oil and a bunch of wet sanding 4 life

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Seafin teak oil and a bunch of wet sanding 4 life

Yeah, I had some of that on my shelf too. I really enjoy how it applies, but I don’t know how far from the PNW it gets on shelves. I do know that I won’t buy any of the finishes that make it into the big box stores en masse anymore when Dalys is about the same price at the lumber yard.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Pantry more or less complete, I might add a mid stile to hide the center, if I can get a decent color match. There is fair amount of slop and general poo poo’s out of square. Drawers 8 and 9 are miles better than drawer #1.

Finished

In Progress

Removed these weird hinged shelves

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Wallet posted:

I have some ancient (like 15+ year old) Minwax I had been using and it worked great. I ran out of one color and bought some more of it and it doesn't seem even remotely like the same poo poo, so maybe just leave it in the can for 15 years and it'll sort itself out. I haven't had terrible luck with Varathane's oil based stains in general (they're not amazing but they seem fine and are easy to get a hold of), but I've been much happier using water based dye stain lately (mostly General Finishes).

Now I'm imagining oil stain like a treasured sourdough culture, slowly filling the can till you use or split it to give to good friends.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I love red elm and walnut together more every time I do it.

Today was the easy glueup, tomorrow is the exciting one.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hypnolobster posted:

:f5:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Calidus posted:

Pantry more or less complete, I might add a mid stile to hide the center, if I can get a decent color match. There is fair amount of slop and general poo poo’s out of square. Drawers 8 and 9 are miles better than drawer #1.

Finished

Nice work that must be really satisfying to use

Hypnolobster posted:

Sheeeesh

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

KingColliwog posted:

Am I just going to buy a block plane and a #4 plane in 3 months and should therefore just get the veritas 3-pack from the get go to get the 15% off or are the jack and #4 similar enough that my money would generally be better spent elsewhere?

I wish that 3-pack had their no6 rather than the low angle jack as the big plane, but it is an extremely good set.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I don't think Veritas makes a No.6, do they? The low angle jack is pretty long for a ~No5 and excellent at being a jack plane, and it's the only big low angle that actually has parallel sides for shooting board work. I do think the Veritas 3 pack is weird because it comes with the little baby bevel-up that's more or less a No.3 instead of the low angle smooth (which is No4-ish) or the monster bevel up (which is 4 1/2-ish).

Also if it's available when you order any Veritas tool, PM-V11 is absolutely worth the extra few dollars.

e: They DO make one. How did I never see the No.6?

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 5, 2022

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Hypnolobster posted:

e: They DO make one. How did I never see the No.6?

Lee Valley is best known for quality tools, but their second most famous product is horrendous information architecture.

Edit: also that little baby bevel us (the sbus) is the best one imo, also Schwarz' favorite fwiw.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So since spring last year I've been locked in house hunting/buying/repairing/selling/moving mode and haven't been able to do much woodworking that wasn't trim work.

Now I'm in my new location, but the basement shop is a new shape (40' long with width varying between 10-12') compared to my old garage, so I'm trying out different layouts. It will probably take me a year to figure out just the right layout, then I will go through remodeling the space and running proper (excess) wiring for all my stuff. Currently on some power strips and a single 220v line for the bandsaw, nothing unsafe but not ideal.

Anyhow that's all a tangential prelude to my project. I decided I needed to get all my equipment as I wanted it, so I could be sure about my layout decisions, and for that I needed a lathe stand.

I used Tim Manney's plans from FWW a few years back, with several modifications. Body is SYP aside for the box top, bottom, and slant panels which are some softer pine I salvaged when we bought the house and I had to demo the basement so we could get structural reinforcement on the basement walls (full basement in clay soil, fun!) The box holds 300lbs of sand ballast in the form of six bags of play sand.

Anyhow, here you go:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

^^ That looks really great

GEMorris posted:

Lee Valley is best known for quality tools, but their second most famous product is horrendous information architecture.

Edit: also that little baby bevel us (the sbus) is the best one imo, also Schwarz' favorite fwiw.

They changed their website in the last yr or so and somehow it is even more impossibly organized?! I can't find anything anymore.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Should get work-rated sand

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Other than the recklessness with the sand that's a nice stand and a good looking workspace.

while we're talking about lee valley I'm going to be doing a Lee Valley trip in 3 weeks. I'm trying to decide what to get. I don't think I'm spending the money for a proper bandsaw yet, and I'm actually well-set for planes now, at least until we start getting into speciality ones. I'm thinking about an air cleaning/filter system, another holdfast, a carbide burnisher, some fasteners, a Kreg pocket hole jig etc.

Their website is shite for browsing and getting some ideas. What are some things that are good buys and quality-of-life improvments that I might not think of at first?

e. I specifically mean the kind of thing that is like "drat I balked at the price at first but then I bought it and it was totally worth it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

CommonShore posted:

I.e. I specifically mean the kind of thing that is like "drat I balked at the price at first but then I bought it and it was totally worth it"

I may get pilloried for this but: a domino