Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

My first Final Fantasy was FFI on the NES, but I didn’t play another until FF7 on the PS1, which inspired me to go back and play 4/5/6 in order. FFVI didn’t hit hard for me despite how popular and widely acclaimed it is. There were some cool scenes, and Kefka was a good villain, but I didn’t feel strongly connected to any individual character, and the combat systems were too simple. I haven’t played it since I was a teenager though. I think it is likely that I’ll enjoy it more when I revisit it (if the PR ever comes out), especially with the context of its importance and my love for all Final Fantasy games except XIII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gaius Marius posted:

The coin toss scene was well done.

This game does not feel like the sixth mainline of a series. The way there's so many systems and minigame type things, and how completely unfocused the game feels, the game feels like something an overly ambitious new team would make. More like a Shadow Hearts than a Dragon Quest.

I'm baffled at them not letting me at the whole Esper mechanic yet, Why would you keep the main mechanic of your game be inaccessible for so long?
So far the Battle system has been beyond tedious. Bosses have two types of attacks one that does nothing, and one that will almost kill you. And the general encounters are pure busy work. You basically never want to be using the basic fight attack. But that means you have to engage with the incredibly tedious mechanics for people like Cyan and Sabine given even the most basic versions of their skills are a flat increase in damage over fight. And Gau's ability is very poorly implemented. Randomly using moves that don't get described at all is a huge liability, or it would be if anything was at all difficult.

I take it you don't like FFV much either.

And it's still Sabin, not Sabine.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 4, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Or 1, 2, 3, 4

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Hey let's not forget that when FFVI came out there were only like four other RPGS that had been released.

It's hard to look back to fuckin' 1994 after almost 30 years of improvement, I was 12 when VI came out and it ruled hard hard hard.

Those dudes were basically making the road by walking

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Would you say endwalking?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Squaresoft never seemed like a company that took measured steps until they got burned by Spirits Within, strong chaotic energy for a long while

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. It's a weird complaint overall. You get espers like 15, 20% through the game. Sabin has probably one of the coolest RPG abilities for the time (hell, or now), and Gau is as well implemented as he needs to be.

Final Fantasy bosses are all some variation of weak attack / strong attack, and why would you want to use basic fight commands in battle, unless you're enhancing them some way? Sounds like a boring way to play.

The game's a buggy, easy mess though. Can't deny any of that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Hey let's not forget that when FFVI came out there were only like four other RPGS that had been released.

It's hard to look back to fuckin' 1994 after almost 30 years of improvement, I was 12 when VI came out and it ruled hard hard hard.

Breh there was a fuckton on PC

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Considering he called him Sabine even though he seems to be playing, it's cool to get a rise out of people.

Anyways, I just want the remaster cause I've been wanting to replay it since it was announced and it's taking sooo long

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Sabin's special ability being street fighter command inputs is cool as hell and other than Zell I can't remember any other time SE has revisited it.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Gaius Marius posted:

Well yeah, of course there were. No FF's though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Espers are basically a fake 'core system', the real core of FFVI's gameplay is all the characters' extra abilities.

You start off using Tools, Blitz, and Rage, and you end the game using Tools, Blitz and Rage. You just experiment a little with magic in the middle.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Gaius Marius posted:

This game does not feel like the sixth mainline of a series. The way there's so many systems and minigame type things, and how completely unfocused the game feels, the game feels like something an overly ambitious new team would make.

Honestly I feel like this describes almost every single original release of a numbered FF aside from 4 (almost no character/party customization) and 14 (if you only count realm reborn and not 1.0)

They're all weird experimental cluster fucks of games, none of which really work 100% of the way through, that get/got away with it by having higher production values than the other guy's product

That's not necessarily a bad thing either, by comparison dragon quest looks so homogenous from the outside that I don't have any interest in exploring it

quote:

I'm baffled at them not letting me at the whole Esper mechanic yet, Why would you keep the main mechanic of your game be inaccessible for so long? So far the Battle system has been beyond tedious.

This is what keeps me from getting very far in FF6 and thanks to this thread I no longer feel like I'm the only person in the world that thinks the beginning of it isn't particularly fun

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Well yeah, of course there were. No FF's though.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_version_differences#MSX

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lmao

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

I wish PC rpgs contemporary to the older FF games weren't uniformly ugly and didnt take place in boring worlds made out of mud

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

pretty soft girl posted:

I wish PC rpgs contemporary to the older FF games weren't uniformly ugly and didnt take place in boring worlds made out of mud

Ultima 7 you heathen!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Barreft posted:

Ultima 7 you heathen!

I'm probably being unfair but Google image searching Ultima 7 reveals endless screenshots of what look like a video game adaptation of Monty python and the holy grail

Edit: lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm probably being unfair but Google image searching Ultima 7 reveals endless screenshots of what look like a video game adaptation of Monty python and the holy grail

Edit: lol

It was 1992 on the PC *shrug* it was still great.

Don't even google Ultima 6 or King's Quest

e: anyway FF6 is one of my favorite games ever.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 4, 2022

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

and Gau is as well implemented as he needs to be.

I mean, i get this complaint. Rage is a bloated mechanic and if you don't use a guide or have the patience to test rages then Gau is way more trouble than he's worth. What are the chances a new player lands on the good stuff like Stray Cat before giving up?

In my first playthrough back in a SNES emulator for PS2 i only used Gau to cast magic.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 4, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Barreft posted:

Or 1, 2, 3, 4

Love 1, second favorite game in the series after IX

And it's still Sabin, not Sabine.

Sabine is an actual people with history, clearly they mistranslated it

Cleretic posted:

Espers are basically a fake 'core system', the real core of FFVI's gameplay is all the characters' extra abilities.

You start off using Tools, Blitz, and Rage, and you end the game using Tools, Blitz and Rage. You just experiment a little with magic in the middle.

This is horribly disappointing, I was hoping this game was gonna turn around when I could start junctioning

Yeah. It's a weird complaint overall. You get espers like 15, 20% through the game. Sabin has probably one of the coolest RPG abilities for the time (hell, or now), and Gau is as well implemented as he needs to be.

Final Fantasy bosses are all some variation of weak attack / strong attack, and why would you want to use basic fight commands in battle, unless you're enhancing them some way? Sounds like a boring way to play.

The game's a buggy, easy mess though. Can't deny any of that.

It's a fine mechanic for a limit. But hitting left right left or hadoken every turn in battle is just tedious.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Cleretic posted:

Incredible how completely wrong this post is.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't think you can do anything with Gau without totally stripping everything interesting from him. You could make him into a blue mage, but there already is one, and that comes with a whole other host of trial & error or guide issues, or you could just include a glossary of every monster, attack, elemental resistances, and status effects that you'd otherwise need to test around for.

Good thing you need to use him for like 10 minutes and then leave him on the bench if you just don't like him or how Rage works.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I don't think you can do anything with Gau without totally stripping everything interesting from him. You could make him into a blue mage, but there already is one, and that comes with a whole other host of trial & error or guide issues, or you could just include a glossary of every monster, attack, elemental resistances, and status effects that you'd otherwise need to test around for.

Good thing you need to use him for like 10 minutes and then leave him on the bench if you just don't like him or how Rage works.

Agreed, good thing there's so many characters you can just simply not play the ones you don't like.

It's like bitching about Umaro

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gaius Marius posted:

Sabine is an actual people with history, clearly they mistranslated it

It's a fine mechanic for a limit. But hitting left right left or hadoken every turn in battle is just tedious.

It was localized differently. His JP name was Mash. Sabine was never near the mark.

Your other core complaint was the game was trivially easy, fair - it is. Just use the fight command with Sabin if Blitz is too much work. It'll work just as well.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 4, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Incredible how completely wrong this post is.

It's not my fault that a full circle motion hits the damage cap! Take it up with 1994!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Sabin's special ability being street fighter command inputs is cool as hell and other than Zell I can't remember any other time SE has revisited it.

Auron's Overdrive.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Blitz and Rage are probably the only two abilities that could feasibly hit the damage cap without a ton of work, so everyone else has to heavily lean on magic to keep up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"It's like Shadow Hearts, not Dragon Quest" is one of the nicest things you could say about a game honestly

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all the final fantasy games are good, it's the posters what are bad

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
"Using unique, interesting abilities is so tedious! Why can't we just hit the attack command like in FF1?" - Actual complaint about FFVI.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

"Using unique, interesting abilities is so tedious! Why can't we just hit the attack command like in FF1?" - Actual complaint about FFVI.

It does sort of raise the question of "why have a generic 'attack' command at all?"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
You'll probably get plenty of use out of the attack command if you use Celes, Locke, or sometimes Terra. Maybe even Shadow.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

i think i legit went through my whole first playthrough never realizing you could use the Espers as summons

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

You'll probably get plenty of use out of the attack command if you use Celes, Locke, or sometimes Terra. Maybe even Shadow.

Or Mog as Dragoon (Jump takes over the attack command right?)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I liked Spirits Within :colbert:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I liked Spirits Within :colbert:

It's my moms favorite movie

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Schwartzcough posted:

Shadow's basic stars are pretty cheap. I was always stocked with enough to replace fight when I wanted. He's a good Genji Glove choice though, if you get a pair of stunners or have death-vulnerable enemies.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

pretty soft girl posted:

:yeah:

Whenever I think about playing through 2 again I end up playing romancing saga 1 instead and I'm much happier for it

It's funny you say that because according to the original design document for Final Fantasy 2 listed in the Ultimania, what was intended for Final Fantasy 2 was basically what we got with the Romancing SaGa trilogy albeit spread across 3 games, instead of what the final version of Final Fantasy 2 was.

Not sure if it was technology limitations or budget concerns or what which made Final Fantasy 2 the scaled back proto-SaGa but way shittier it is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The party thinks of using an Airship, but there's only one airship in the world, and they don't know who owns it. Why would they write the scene like that, it's nonsensical.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i think i legit went through my whole first playthrough never realizing you could use the Espers as summons

The ghost guy on the way out of Zozo tells you