Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

My buddy is rental shopping and came upon a house that, instead of having a fridge, has four dormitory fridges mounted under a countertop.

Maybe it was a strict orthodox jewish family wanting to separate everything by meat, dairy and parve

the forth one is just incase of a really good bit of pork:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

My buddy is rental shopping and came upon a house that, instead of having a fridge, has four dormitory fridges mounted under a countertop.

Facebook Aunt posted:

e: There are 4 cabinets in the picture and none of them match. Amazing.

This kitchen remodel brought to you by your local Habitat ReStore. One trip only!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

GroverKitchen

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MrYenko posted:

GroverKitchen

Not nearly enough outlets.

This reminds me of the 4 toilet bathroom from last week.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The more I look the better it gets. Windows and fridge models: also not matching, the crooked paper towel holder. One sad can light over the tiniest pot rack.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

This kitchen remodel brought to you by your local Habitat ReStore. One trip only!

Has to be this. Or floor models. If you’re gonna rent it to college kids though it’s not a bad setup.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The part that drives me nuts is the two wildly distinct flowering patterns with no transition.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Explosionface posted:

The part that drives me nuts is the two wildly distinct flowering patterns with no transition.

The transition happens right at that really obvious spot where they knocked out a wall. You can see what I assume is a structural member they couldn't get rid of along the top.

The whole thing reeks of an old, small, 1950s-style kitchen that got expanded out into a larger space because that's expected these days, but then they half-assed literally everything they could. Based on the property management watermark at the lower left I'm guessing it's a rental? Because the fact that they didn't bother with proper shelving or cabinets and went with multiple mini fridges rather than carve out space for a real fridge etc. all screams rental, as does that counter top. They probably already had the floors put in and didn't want to replace them because, hey, they were already paid for whenever the last reno was done.

I don't know what the specific material is etc., but it looks like every recently-renovated, mid-tier-trying-to-fake-at-being-luxury apartment/condo I've seen in the last few years. I'm guessing some kind of engineered stone that's cheap and easy to buy in pre-set sizes and shapes? A few apartments back the building had two types of units: normal and "luxury." We toured both and went normal, the main difference was the linoleum countertops were replaced with poo poo that looked exactly like the countertops in that picture and the cabinets were replaced with something not from the 90s. Oh and carpet that hadn't been worn through.

Yeah, the more I look at it the more everything is screaming bare minimum effort put in to making a rental look like not a dump.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

From the photo I thought it were four dishwashers. I've always had this dream of having multiple. One for clean stuff, one for dirty. Never unload!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not nearly enough outlets.

I got you

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Flipperwaldt posted:

From the photo I thought it were four dishwashers. I've always had this dream of having multiple. One for clean stuff, one for dirty. Never unload!

I also have that dream, because my dishwasher broke last week and it took 5 days to get the replacement part. :negative:

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
How bad is too many outlets? I feel like I've been in so many homes with too little that maybe this is a nice problem to have unless it like over powers the grid or something

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

How bad is too many outlets? I feel like I've been in so many homes with too little that maybe this is a nice problem to have unless it like over powers the grid or something

They only draw power if you plug something in - but I think it's either code or at least courtesy to scale your circuits to allow some minimum load in every outlet?

The objections are more about how it looks, I think.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Honestly it only looks like hell in an empty room. That one above? Throw a couch, a TV stand, some chairs, maybe a shelf or two in there and all but a couple will disappear.

If nothing else having a fuckload of outlets gives you a lot of freedom about where you put your furniture because you're not stuck in the position of having one wall that must never be covered because that's where the outlet is.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Local Costco started selling commercial equipment steam dishwasher with conveyor setup. Load one end and pick up clean rack on the other to slide it into cabinet, boom and done.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

iv46vi posted:

Local Costco started selling commercial equipment steam dishwasher with conveyor setup. Load one end and pick up clean rack on the other to slide it into cabinet, boom and done.

Rachel Ray's husband apparently insisted on almost exactly this when COVID had them move her show into their home kitchen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjMxrXZnt2U

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Cyrano4747 posted:

If nothing else having a fuckload of outlets gives you a lot of freedom about where you put your furniture because you're not stuck in the position of having one wall that must never be covered because that's where the outlet is.

My living room is loving atrocious for this reason.

If I want to hook up a physical cable connection to the TV, I have one and only one place to do it.

If I want to put the TV on what is now an accent wall, I can't connect it to cable.

If I want to knock out the wall dividing it from the kitchen to open up the floor plan and put in a breakfast bar, the TV has to go on the accent wall.

If I want a sectional large enough to fit my entire family plus my mother in law, there is one place to do it.

In short, there is one place I can put my couch, two places I can put my TV (but only one if I want a cable connection). I loving despise any layout that locks you in like that, but it was built by a little old lady that probably never moved any of her furniture ever so.

iv46vi posted:

I want one of the big fuckoff Hobart units from the Safeway I used to work at. Load the rack(s), close the lid, it's done in 2 or 3 minutes and I can put the poo poo on a rack to dry. My dishwasher is 23 or 24 years old most likely, disrupts us if we're trying to watch TV, and is on its way out.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Honestly I would love under counter fridge and freezer space but I’d fuckin get commercial ones instead of 4 lovely dorm fridges

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Scruff McGruff posted:

Rachel Ray's husband apparently insisted on almost exactly this when COVID had them move her show into their home kitchen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjMxrXZnt2U

I thought surely, it's a water-guzzler but no:

quote:

The DishStar HT-E is everything you need in an undercounter dishmachine! It delivers exceptional cleaning performance and high temperature sanitizing while consuming only 0.60 gallons of water per rack. The one minute, forty second cycle allows for cleaning 36 racks per hour – enough capacity to clean 900 dishes or 1,296 glasses per hour. The DishStar HT-E is simple to operate with automatic fill and three selectable timed cycles. It features a built-in booster heater with our Sani-Sure™ final rinse system that ensures proper sanitation. Perfect for small restaurants, coffee shops, quick service restaurants, bars, small health care facilities and convenience stores.

yours for the low price of $5500

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 3, 2022

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And Rachel Ray still does dishes by hand, because she thinks it uses less water!

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Cleaning power of steam and crappy construction repairs combined:

quote:

It's virtually impossible to describe the scene upon entering the boiler room for the first time. It was a very eerie white color. This occurred because the velocity of the steam had sandblasted the insulation off of nearby pipes, and evenly spread the insulation onto every surface, and into every crack or crevice virtually throughout the boiler room.

NSFW industrial boiler accident

https://www.nationalboard.org/index.aspx?pageID=164&ID=226

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the yeti posted:

Honestly I would love under counter fridge and freezer space but I’d fuckin get commercial ones instead of 4 lovely dorm fridges

FYI, commercial stuff is really really loud. Seems like a great idea right up until you've spent time around it in a closed shop/restaurant.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Qwijib0 posted:

yours for the low price of $5500

That honestly isn't a bad price at all for what it is, it's now 100% on my short list for if/when i build a forever home (which will have as heavily of a commercial kitchen as reasonably possible)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

I thought surely, it's a water-guzzler but no:

That's because they were not at all kidding about "if you touch the detergent it will melt you skin off". The commercial stuff is........something special.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I remember my first dishwasher/bussing gig at IHOP in 1979. No one warned me about the dish detergent. Only after the burning sensation cut into my conciousness did I realize I had gotten a drop about 3mm in diameter on my forearm. Took a ton of rinsing & scrubbing with regular soap to get it off, and I had a dark spot there for almost a year.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The one commercial dishwasher I've been close to was indeed super fast at washing each rack you put in - but it took ages to warm up its tank of water before you could start using it. Still faster, but it's not like you can go from zero to clean dishes in minutes if you don't prepare ahead of time.

Of course, given enough power everything is possible.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

I remember my first dishwasher/bussing gig at IHOP in 1979. No one warned me about the dish detergent. Only after the burning sensation cut into my conciousness did I realize I had gotten a drop about 3mm in diameter on my forearm. Took a ton of rinsing & scrubbing with regular soap to get it off, and I had a dark spot there for almost a year.

I just looked up the pH of the common stuff I see around here, Ecolab Ultraklene. It's 13.5. THIRTEEN POINT FIVE. That's more alkaline than straight ammonia and any oven cleaner you'll find.

Computer viking posted:

The one commercial dishwasher I've been close to was indeed super fast at washing each rack you put in - but it took ages to warm up its tank of water before you could start using it. Still faster, but it's not like you can go from zero to clean dishes in minutes if you don't prepare ahead of time.

Of course, given enough power everything is possible.

That's an installation problem/choice. You have to have an appropriately sized "kicker" heater for them if you want to run them continuously. There's a lot more "infrastructure" to these things than just that lump you see as "the dishwasher". There is no way to replace a residential dishwasher with a commercial one that happens to be the same size without space for a bunch of other crap. Note how in the video they scavenged part of a cabinet next to it for the connected supplies (it's not just dish soap). There is also likely a heater somewhere and good luck with keeping that thing in a "ready" state all the time so you can just wash dishes in 90 seconds at any point of the day.

They aren't covering all of the costs and pain in the rear end this is. Again, commercial stuff. It's not made for your home. If it was really that practical/awesome somebody would have already made one for your home use case.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 4, 2022

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Motronic posted:

I just looked up the pH of the common stuff I see around here, Ecolab Ultraklene. It's 13.5. THIRTEEN POINT FIVE. That's more alkaline than straight ammonia and any oven cleaner you'll find.

That's an installation problem/choice. You have to have an appropriately sized "kicker" heater for them if you want to run them continuously. There's a lot more "infrastructure" to these things than just that lump you see as "the dishwasher".

This was at a rental kitchen+event space that I suspect stood unused for days or weeks between uses, so having a "completely off" default state and a bit of a wait now and then seems like a reasonable choice to make.

Also, drat, that'll get the gravy off the plates right quick.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Computer viking posted:

This was at a rental kitchen+event space that I suspect stood unused for days or weeks between uses, so having a "completely off" default state and a bit of a wait now and then seems like a reasonable choice to make.

Oh yeah....they absolutely left the kicker off. It would be insane to leave it on all the time. Even restaurants have them on time of day timers at a minimum. They're ready to rock during normal business hours but off otherwise.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Motronic posted:

That's not just more alkaline than ammonia, that's stronger than lye.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PainterofCrap posted:

I was going to ask “WTF is it? Straight lye?”, but replies suggest that it’s something worse.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

I was going to ask “WTF is it? Straight lye?”, but replies suggest that it’s something worse.

SDS says that Ecolab Ultraklene stuff sodium hydroxide at a concentration of 10-30%, which is surprisingly uncertain.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Weembles posted:

That's not just more alkaline than ammonia, that's stronger than lye.

It's not. Lye solutions can be many different pHs depending on concentration, and it for sure can go over 13.5

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One way to look at this is that one gram of sodium hydroxide can turn seven grams of lard into soap. If ten to thirty percent of the dish cleaner is sodium hydroxide, it has the potential to turn quite a lot of your flesh to goo, and your skin isn’t that thick.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

One way to look at this is that one gram of sodium hydroxide can turn seven grams of lard into soap.

We used that to clean out barrels at the winery I worked at. I just realized that is the same thing we called "caustic soda". That poo poo was scary. You got even a little bit of it on you and your skin immediately felt slick. Get too much of it on your (which was just a little bit) for too long and your fingerprints were gone for months.

Getting it on you typically happened when cleaning PPE, because we had a LOT of ppe for dealing with that garbage. And I'm talking pre-2000. It was that bad, even then when a lot of modern PPE was not a thing/considered superfluous.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Motronic posted:

We used that to clean out barrels at the winery I worked at. I just realized that is the same thing we called "caustic soda". That poo poo was scary. You got even a little bit of it on you and your skin immediately felt slick. Get too much of it on your (which was just a little bit) for too long and your fingerprints were gone for months.

Getting it on you typically happened when cleaning PPE, because we had a LOT of ppe for dealing with that garbage. And I'm talking pre-2000. It was that bad, even then when a lot of modern PPE was not a thing/considered superfluous.

for months, you say.

hmmmm

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Because this is the crappy construction thread, people may have reason to use this stuff.

Lye will mess you up. Always wear goggles when dealing with it. Always. You ought to wear gloves, long sleeves, and a respirator as well, but the consequences for failing to use eye protection are more immediate and dire.

Be prepared to strip and jump into the shower.

Lye generates an incredible amount of heat when added to water—and it should always be added to water, not have water added to it. It generates yet more heat when it reacts with whatever is clogging your drains. Be prepared for this and don’t overdo it.

In addition to eating your flesh, lye will attack aluminum, copper, zinc, tin, brass, bronze, and lead. It will etch glass, but slowly. Iron, steel, and some plastics are resistant to it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Also, if you need to unclog a drain, you should try mechanical unclogging first. You can buy "drain snakes" that are basically just long barbed pieces of plastic. Shove one down the drain, yank it back and forth a bit, then odds are when you pull it out you'll have a bunch of really nasty gunk attached to it. Shove the entire thing in a plastic bag (it probably smells terrible) and enjoy your faster-draining sink/shower.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
But whatever you do, don’t follow up the lye with vigorous mechanical action or, god forbid, one of those awful pressurized gas uncloggers.

That’s a great way to fling lye everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
A friend of mine was working at a golf course and tried to unclog a toilet with one of those pressurized cans. Didn't have it sealed properly and blew the poo poo and piss filles bowl back in his face.