Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm going to space my garden out more this year to account for them, so it's at least a new project! Considering getting a bug-a-salt gun too, but idk. I'm also on the hunt for deer resistant flowers for the front yard. I thought milkweed might work because of the sap, but no one has a definitive answer on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

I don't do raised beds because I'm a masochist but the people I know have had durability issues with lumber, even if the pressure treated stuff is no longer an issue. There are plenty of other options that are in the "buy once cry once" range where you won't be redoing all that work in a few years.

I say just buy a tiller and a few tons of compost and embrace the suck. :v:

If I weren’t in a small city lot, that’s what I’d do, that and I’m pretty sure it would be a swamp over in that part of the yard and I’d drown my plants without the extra height. I’m just going to replace two of the ones I have with a greenhouse instead. They were all put in by the previous owner without regards for how the sun hits them anyway. At least with PT it’ll last for 10-15 years.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How much is "everything"? lol. We used to get a handful of banana spiders (which themselves are slightly non-native on mainland NA), but now I can't walk out of my house without a stick during the summer and fall. They cover all of the trails in the park. I've seen how many banana spiders there are in, say, the swamps of Louisiana, but this is in urban areas in the GA piedmont. I'm really hoping they'll dissipate after the initial boom like kudzu beetles and brown marmorated stink bugs did.
I used to live on the Gulf Coast in Texas and we had banana spiders. Back yard was a couple acres, lightly wooded, pretty swampy. It was a regular thing where I'd get a banana spider and/or banana spider web in the face mowing in one direction, get it out of my hair/face/whatever, finish mowing the row, turn around, and then get a different banana spider/web in the face/hair on the return path.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm going to space my garden out more this year to account for them, so it's at least a new project! Considering getting a bug-a-salt gun too, but idk. I'm also on the hunt for deer resistant flowers for the front yard. I thought milkweed might work because of the sap, but no one has a definitive answer on that.

Deer seem like assholes but most animals seem to leave Asclepia alone. Euphorbia should be safe as well for similar reasons.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I don't think I've seen this before. Volunteer bok choy. This guy's about 16" from one side to the other, and just decided to start growing along one fenceline:

...and this guy popped up several metres away, in a patch of milkweed:

I think these are both the Kitazawa "Chinese Pak Choi" cultivar, because they're all white stem and that's the only white stem variety I grew this past year. I'm a little curious about how they managed to self-sow all over the yard like this. I pretty much always do continuous harvest with bok choy, and then when the plant decides to bolt I just let 'em go to seed. And then instead of collecting and saving the seed I just let the pods dry out on the plant, and then pull up the plant and sorta crunch it up over the prepared soil to direct sow. So the plants are in the yard after they've gone to seed so it's not that mysterious that there'd be volunteers. But I've never had bok choy plants pop up all over the yard like this before.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

SubG posted:

I used to live on the Gulf Coast in Texas and we had banana spiders. Back yard was a couple acres, lightly wooded, pretty swampy. It was a regular thing where I'd get a banana spider and/or banana spider web in the face mowing in one direction, get it out of my hair/face/whatever, finish mowing the row, turn around, and then get a different banana spider/web in the face/hair on the return path.

Yeah I think places like coastal Texas have a lot more banana spiders than we do. Last year I'd have to take down maybe 10 of the joro webs to mow my 1/10 acre lawn. Each web has multiple spiders on it though. The males are much smaller and fly through the air on silk strands to find females' webs to camp out in. Maybe these videos give an idea of the density

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jnJQYn-xE4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvHBwa94748

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

I don't think I've seen this before. Volunteer bok choy.

The one along the fence makes me think a bird dropped it. I had some little birds in my bok choy today and I’d guess they were there for the seeds.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Joburg posted:

The one along the fence makes me think a bird dropped it. I had some little birds in my bok choy today and I’d guess they were there for the seeds.
Maybe. I mean it makes as much sense as anything and something must've transported the seeds. I've never seen birds going after them, though. Bok choy has seeds like most brassicas--little black grains that look kinda like ground black pepper. And on bok choy the seeds mostly stay in the pods, which are like ~1-2" long little narrow green bean sorta things, until they they're ground up. As in the plants can get old and dried out and the pods are still mostly intact. As opposed to, like, epazote or something, where you brush past a plant that's gone to see and it'll spring back and scatter seed on everything within a couple meters.

Which is what makes it kinda weird. Maybe a bird picked up a bunch of the seeds while it was rooting around for bugs or something.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
February 2020: I get some herb and pepper seeds for Christmas and buy myself a $15 Amazon grow light and clear off a shelf in my kitchen for it

February 2022: Oops there's a cobbled-together nursery in my utility closet how did that happen

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

showbiz_liz posted:

February 2020: I get some herb and pepper seeds for Christmas and buy myself a $15 Amazon grow light and clear off a shelf in my kitchen for it

February 2022: Oops there's a cobbled-together nursery in my utility closet how did that happen

Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll be buried in the stuff in just a couple more years like the rest of us.

That’s a pretty good setup for this year.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How much is "everything"? lol. We used to get a handful of banana spiders (which themselves are slightly non-native on mainland NA), but now I can't walk out of my house without a stick during the summer and fall. They cover all of the trails in the park. I've seen how many banana spiders there are in, say, the swamps of Louisiana, but this is in urban areas in the GA piedmont. I'm really hoping they'll dissipate after the initial boom like kudzu beetles and brown marmorated stink bugs did.

e: I'm not kidding when I say there were hundreds of webs on my house, all at least the size of banana spider webs. Thousands in the woods out back. They form a solid web the entire length of power lines.

Oh man, I would love to see a photo of this. This sounds both awful and rad.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Oh man, I would love to see a photo of this. This sounds both awful and rad.

I'll take some photos this year. They're very pretty.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

mischief posted:

You really don't need light to pop seeds but it will help getting them a little more mature before transplant.
Temperature and moisture is more important than light starting seeds.

In my experience, you absolutely need light or they get too leggy to be healthy plants when they mature. And at least in the PNW, a sunny windowsill doesn't cut it.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

showbiz_liz posted:

I think you need to move the light much closer to the plants. See how they are tall and thin? The plants are trying to get more light.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Yeah ideally you want a light on a string that you can move as they get a little taller. Too far away, especially with heat mats, and they'll go leggy incredibly quickly.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

showbiz_liz posted:

It only gets larger from here…I finished painting and rearranging the shed

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

i am harry posted:

It only gets larger from here…I finished painting and rearranging the shed

Nice shed. What's in the back middle of that front left hydroponics bay? It has really cool leaves and is very tall.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wallet posted:

Deer seem like assholes but most animals seem to leave Asclepia alone. Euphorbia should be safe as well for similar reasons.

last summer I protected a bunch of my tender succulents and azaleas from the unflinching chompers of my neighborhood’s explosive cottontail population by surrounding them with euphorbias

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Jhet posted:

Nice shed. What's in the back middle of that front left hydroponics bay? It has really cool leaves and is very tall.

lettuce leaf basil maybe? something like that

i am harry fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 8, 2022

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

At first I thought they sent me wasabi but it’s daikon. I can grow daikon, actual wasabi seems above my abilities at the moment. Anyone have any wasabi growing experience?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have wasabi killing experience. Does that count?

The way I killed it was by not giving it the high high drainage it needs.

Other things that I am aware of it hating are moderate amounts of heat and light, but I didn’t have a chance to kill it with these.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Daruma wasabi works pretty well as an indoor plant, assuming the temperature indoors doesn't get above the mid '70s. You have to sorta experiment with different locations until you find a spot where it's getting enough but not too much sun, but like most plants that grow from rhizomes it's actually pretty forgiving. Like yeah, it's got a reputation for being difficult to grow, but that's all about finding the right growing conditions--temperature, amount of sunlight, and the right watering. The last part is easy to manage in a container plant, the first can be controlled by growing indoors, and the last, like I said, is just experimentation. And unless you flat out kill the thing, like just let it completely dry out or rot or something...worst case you just hack off the leaves, replant the rhizome, and try again.

That all assumes that you're only growing a plant or two. Which is absolutely not going to be enough to keep you in wasabi if you're planning on cooking with it. If you have to grow it outdoors at scale then yeah, you pretty much have to be lucky enough to live in an area where the conditions are favourable for wasabi cultivation.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thank you that is super helpful.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

mischief posted:

You can keep most zucchinis vertical with some persistence but most squashes will mock your attempts to constrain them. My mother in law gave me some kind of mystery chinese squash a few years ago and it ran easily 20 yards in every direction with sharp, pointy, abrasive vines that severed other plants right at the root at will. It was incredible, and it did not produce anything edible.

Squash is a handful, especially in container arrangements.

Squash(es?) are the goats of the plant world. Nothing will contain them. Nothing will stop their indomitable will to explore. And all of the resources are belong to them. Last year I had squash that I don't even remember planting pop up and take over a third of my garden (I suspect there might have been left over seeds in my compost from the previous year?)

I'm not planning on planting any squash or zuchinnis this year, which means I'll probably still end up with about a dozen car-sized fruits to *give away weekly.

(*leave on neighbor's porches in the dead of night when they can't refuse)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

At first I thought they sent me wasabi but it’s daikon. I can grow daikon, actual wasabi seems above my abilities at the moment. Anyone have any wasabi growing experience?

It grew like a monster near my house in the shade in sandy ish soil. Like super easy I didnt do poo poo

Like right next to the house on the far side of the sun never in direct light

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 8, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Squash(es?) are the goats of the plant world. Nothing will contain them. Nothing will stop their indomitable will to explore. And all of the resources are belong to them. Last year I had squash that I don't even remember planting pop up and take over a third of my garden (I suspect there might have been left over seeds in my compost from the previous year?)

I'm not planning on planting any squash or zuchinnis this year, which means I'll probably still end up with about a dozen car-sized fruits to *give away weekly.

(*leave on neighbor's porches in the dead of night when they can't refuse)

Yeah no green zuccs for me for the first time since I started gardening. They're fun just to show off how giant the plants get, but I'm sick of discovering them in an already-inedible giant state as soon as I turn my back.

Hoping the experiment with seminole pumpkin instead goes well. Powdery mildew really hosed up my Connecticut pumpkins last year.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Who would win?

an uncontainable, indomitable squash
or
one borer boi

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

The borer. :(

They're fun to grow but yeah, it's a full time job catching them before they go to crap. Same reason I stopped growing pickling cucumbers. One day it's exciting to see new fruit set and then the next day you've got a yellow watery blob hanging off the vine.

Chad Sexington posted:

Powdery mildew really hosed up my Connecticut pumpkins last year.

I've had the most success really, really, really cleaning the garden between seasons to beat this stuff. Like scraping the top layer of soil off and leaving it in the woods clean. Anything I'm growing that is prone to getting the yuck gets sprayed with a sulfur based fungicide, and good planning ahead of time to keep space between plants helps a lot. Once that stuff shows up I'll usually just cull the whole affected plant and chuck it in the burn barrel.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

It grew like a monster near my house in the shade in sandy ish soil. Like super easy I didnt do poo poo

Like right next to the house on the far side of the sun never in direct light

I’m going to try it on the north side of my house in some sandy soil with plenty of shade. It might be okay or it might end up being miserable if it hits 95 again this summer. Actual wasabi, not those radishes. I’ll just go buy giant daikon from the groceries.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Who would win?

an uncontainable, indomitable squash
or
one borer boi

the borer, at least around here. I dont know how anyone grows squash. Gourds tho, gourds will win every time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SubG posted:

Daruma wasabi works pretty well as an indoor plant, assuming the temperature indoors doesn't get above the mid '70s.

I can do this.

Do you have to enclose it in a cloche or whatever to get it enough humidity, or is it amenable to fortyish RH?

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
First time gardening question, how long should I wait before I give up on a plant germinating and try new seeds?
I setup my trays a couple weeks ago and some green beans are threatening to bust out of the cover already, meanwhile my tomatoes and jalapenos haven't even popped out of the ground yet.

Not using a thermal pad, but they are damp and covered. It's been a pretty cold week and they're sitting on a windowsill, possible I need to get a pad or find a warmer spot to induce them to sprout.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Nightshades are notoriously slow and fickle to start and definitely benefit from some warmth.

I prefer to direct sow any beans but it is totally up to where you are.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Nukelear v.2 posted:

First time gardening question, how long should I wait before I give up on a plant germinating and try new seeds?
I setup my trays a couple weeks ago and some green beans are threatening to bust out of the cover already, meanwhile my tomatoes and jalapenos haven't even popped out of the ground yet.

Not using a thermal pad, but they are damp and covered. It's been a pretty cold week and they're sitting on a windowsill, possible I need to get a pad or find a warmer spot to induce them to sprout.

My pepper seeds one year didnt do anything for weeks in a window until I put a pad under them and then near instant growth

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I can do this.

Do you have to enclose it in a cloche or whatever to get it enough humidity, or is it amenable to fortyish RH?
I've never used a cloche or anything like that and my method of adjusting watering is to stick a finger in the soil and watering when it seems like it needs it.

When I first started trying to grow wasabi in containers I was over-concerned about under-watering, and I was definitely over-watering it, which causes it to start wilting around the edges of the leaves, lower leaves first. When it's happy about the amount of water it's getting, it'll send out new leaves regularly and they'll stay vibrant green.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

My pepper seeds one year didnt do anything for weeks in a window until I put a pad under them and then near instant growth

Thanks all, I'll see what I can do to rig up some heat on these before I give up and start a new tray.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
i usually put like 2 seeds in each of my little cubes to ensure something comes up - i've had an incredible rate this year with my tomatoes >.> When should I pull the weaker ones ?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

i usually put like 2 seeds in each of my little cubes to ensure something comes up - i've had an incredible rate this year with my tomatoes >.> When should I pull the weaker ones ?

Whenever you want and are sure of the others, but just use a scissors to cut the one you don’t want. Little seedlings will just die off and then you don’t disturb roots at all.

I’m building a variable height light stand this week myself before the seedlings burst through the window looking for light.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I filled my raised bed last year with "raised bed soil" from Home Depot. Plants grew well enough, but the soil is fairly loose, and mostly woodchips. What should I amend it with to make it more soily? Compost? Manure? Something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I filled my raised bed last year with "raised bed soil" from Home Depot. Plants grew well enough, but the soil is fairly loose, and mostly woodchips. What should I amend it with to make it more soily? Compost? Manure? Something else?

Keep adding organic matter and eventually you'll get the good soil. Compost, wheat straw mulch, leaves, grass clippings, etc. It takes time.