Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

at some point they should just recast. the longer it goes on the weirder it'll be when they do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Mandrel posted:

like Hamill is perfectly capable of doing his young Luke voice and is more than happy to do it

is this actually true, ive never heard him do it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mandrel posted:

that's so weird. was it a COVID thing or what. like Hamill is perfectly capable of doing his young Luke voice and is more than happy to do it, and he's got to be cheaper than doing that. they even use him on set before doubling him with that kid. why bother doing robot voice?

edit: generally I get the appeal vis a vis rights/likenesses whatever and poo poo, but that doesn't really seem to apply to this particular situation.

Read what Jerkface wrote right above your post.

Beyond that they did it because they could. It's a partial proof-of-concept for that kind of technology. Figure they also did it because Mark Hamill is 70 years old and Carrie Fisher died at age 65. If Hamill is the only one who can voice Luke Skywalker than when he dies, there's no more Luke Skywalker and that doesn't work for Disney.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Barry Foster posted:

Honestly I find the original better. I've not watched much Clone Wars and have no real attachment to the character, but I find the pale, scrunched up, hosed-up monster-looking original version a lot creepier and more threatening (maybe because of the more human proportions?)

Adjusted looks like a Star Wars Alien. Original looks like fuckin' Pazuzu

I mostly agree on that. The quick and dirty "move the mouth lower to match the rubber-suit Duros we've seen in live action" was good, but matching him up to cartoon proportions and palette is both unnecessary and less menacing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I would happily take “old man who doesn’t quite sound like young Luke but still has real emotion” over “the cousin of the AI I use at work to write boilerplate marketing copy bullshit” any day.

Also, there’s absolutely nothing stopping them from having Hamill do the actual lines and just altering them to sound young in post or whatever.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I would happily take “old man who doesn’t quite sound like young Luke but still has real emotion” over “the cousin of the AI I use at work to write boilerplate marketing copy bullshit” any day.

So say we all anyone of us with a modicum of good taste but Disney's gonna Disney.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Unfortunately all the deep fake stuff is here to stay. There is a reason that Disney's "star wars" preamble logo contains a bunch of trade marked helmets and not any of the likenesses of real star wars characters.

If disney could develop a believable CGI character that uses a deepfake legally distinct from voice they will do it

its amazing technology but capitalism & copyright are hosed so we gonna have to deal with it existing

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What disney would really like to do is entirely remove creatives from the process, and algorithmically generate all future content

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

So far this has come up at least half true, which gives me some ideas of what'll happen with the end of the show.

A lot of the stuff that's true is either pretty obvious from trailers (the premise of uniting the gangs) early leaks (Sophie Thatcher's casting and Boba riding a rancor), or existing speculation (Cad Bane showing up). Most of the details about how stuff happens is wrong, as is all the stuff about the other clones showing up, what Din Djarin's involvement is, and who's behind it all.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Did anyone consider that someone at Disney would have also thought about having Mark Hamill do the voice and then modulating it and figured the AI version was better?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jerkface posted:

is this actually true, ive never heard him do it.

Dude has magic voice cords: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhgL8igCdCc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onMm0DLg8CE&t=69s

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

yea i know he is really good at voice acting but this is not "make his own voice 30 years younger" - those 2 you linked 1 is young mark hamill and the other is him impersonating gravely voice harrison ford

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 5, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jerkface posted:

yea i know he is really good at voice acting but this is not "make his own voice 30 years younger"

Okay, submitted for evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-VHe_4GmE

He sounds thirty years younger in this playing himself.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

he sounds like TLJ luke in that

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
We’ve known about Hamill AI voice since the BTS for the Mando S2 finale came out. Also Hamill doesn’t do a great young Luke. He did OT era Luke a few years ago for Forces of Destiny and he sounded like an older guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2U_H5dFKH0

Being animation helps here, but in live action, might not fit as well. If they could magic his voice to get him to sound young again, the magicians in the sound team would. :shrug:

Teek fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 5, 2022

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Jerkface posted:

And I know why they didnt have Hamill read his lines, he sounds old! he is a great voice actor, but he sounds like an old man because he is an old man.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Did anyone consider that someone at Disney would have also thought about having Mark Hamill do the voice and then modulating it and figured the AI version was better?

Yeah I kinda thought this was understood. Mark loves Star Wars and he's clearly willing to show up and do voice acting for bit parts, like he did in Mandalorian, so I doubt it's a matter of nobody inviting him to the party. Even with de-aging tech he probably just doesn't sound like young Luke anymore and why should he? It was 45 years and a car crash ago.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yeah because somehow she’s Palps grand daughter. :iiam:

"The dark side is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Cheesus posted:

It was Cad's eyes that severely upset my wife.

I had no idea who Cad Bane is, but the moment they showed his eyes I was like Oh poo poo, it's on.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The real misstep in recreating circa 1986 Mark Hamill is not giving him his iconic mustache.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mandrel posted:

at some point they should just recast. the longer it goes on the weirder it'll be when they do it

Especially because Sebastian Stan is right there, willing, endorsed by Hamill himself, and would be easily universally accepted by fans as TV verse Luke.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, I regret to inform you all, but Max Rebo was (probably) in on it.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Honestly it's kind of cool to finally know that droids can, in fact, be Jedi.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

NmareBfly posted:

Honestly it's kind of cool to finally know that droids can, in fact, be Jedi.

Excuse me I think you need to meet a friend of mine named Skippy

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, I regret to inform you all, but Max Rebo was (probably) in on it.

That diabolical Max! drat he's good.

Speaking of vintage Hamill, that B-movie Midnight Ride was pretty entertaining.

Why is there no Star Wars TV this weekend.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'll always love Hamill in The Guyver. That poo poo was dope

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

That diabolical Max! drat he's good.

Darth Rebo and his Master, Darth Jar-Jar.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Thundercracker posted:

I'll always love Hamill in The Guyver. That poo poo was dope

Pedostache and body horror.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The more "in-betweens" we have in official SW canon, the better. Jedi *and* Sith are loving dumb, choosing to keep "tradition" going because they're too set in their damned ways to deviate.

This was basically how the Trevorrow script for episode IX ended

but nah, let's just have some old bat harass Rey in her own goddamn front yard right in front of her ghost friends

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Agricultural Corps was always cool in Legends. Just using the force to help cultivate planets and aid in terrarorming projects.

Naturally the Jedi saw assignment to the agriculture corps as a sign they were failures.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

The Agricultural Corps was always cool in Legends. Just using the force to help cultivate planets and aid in terrarorming projects.

Naturally the Jedi saw assignment to the agriculture corps as a sign they were failures.

Caring about one's advancement within the Order is an attachment. Jedi should crave not these things. :colbert:

...say someone who's always above the person being admonished about attachment in station.

Oh gently caress, the Jedi Order is nothing but Amway with lightsabers. Their temples are *literally pyramids*.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Robot Style posted:

The real misstep in recreating circa 1986 Mark Hamill is not giving him his iconic mustache.

Mark Hamill from 1989 would be the best visage for Luke's Jedi Academy

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Vinylshadow posted:

They kinda went with this look (sans beard) for some of the Japanese New Jedi Order covers.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Especially because Sebastian Stan is right there, willing, endorsed by Hamill himself, and would be easily universally accepted by fans as TV verse Luke.

Luke Skywalker is pretty much the only Big Scifi Movie/TV character that hasn't been recast at this point.

We're on Spock #3 at this point. Spock!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

*coughs a little* hey Evan, uh, glad we had the chance to talk mano eeee mano, heh. Look I just wanted to make sure you know I'm not trying to replace your dad, but I really like your mom and I'm hoping we can be amigos

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Finally got all caught up on boba. Can never take Cad seriously, he reminds me too much of the stranger from Oddworld.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Duros are hard to take seriously because they look so much like the stereotypical “little green men” aliens. Put one in a cool evil cowboy getup and it’s even worse.

I do enjoy him as a character though.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I really don't like the idea of deepfake Luke. When it first appeared in Mando S2 the initial novelty was cool, but with the recent episode its worn out its welcome and is weird. The face issue is one thing, but the voice as well takes it to another level. Sure, Hammill no longer sounds like he did as a young man but maybe people should just suspend their drat disbelief a little. An actual performance would be far, far better than a drat algorithm even if its slightly imperfect. After all, its often the imperfections that gives things personality. Or they should just recast, like they should have done with Tarkin.

Are they concerned Star Wars fans will complain about their "immersion" if one character is played by two different people? Half the TV series are cartoons, but most people are happy to just accept the fact that in some stories Anakin is played by a dude in live-action, and other times he is animated, and still accept they're both meant to be the same guy.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Boba fett isnt played by kid boba from the prequels so they should just recast some loving people like star trek has

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

nine-gear crow posted:

Nah, screw that, I really don’t want Stan or anyone else as Luke. Just retire the character and create new ones for new adventures instead of hanging around the same few people in a 40 year period when their stories already had a beginning, middle and end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

Hello there…