Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

tater_salad posted:

yes please do this.. update some fixtures, get some better lights, pay someone to regrout or something if the grout is poo poo.. replace ceiling and add fan! 10k or less and you still have sexy old school bathroom.

This. Freshen up the paint, check your lightbulb color temperatures. And please, please, please get a shorter curtain that properly fits that window. That’ll make a big difference for less than $8k and ruining a bunch of primo tile work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

E: realized this fits better in the other house thread because I always mix them up

BadSamaritan fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 4, 2022

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have the green version of that tile and flooring and the flooring is the only thing that bothers me. Our tub was yellow too but we got that painted for just a few hundred to white and that made the entire room so much better.

That guy did such a good job I've contemplated seeing if he would be able to paint the floor but I'm not sure how well it would hold up.

BadSamaritan posted:

But we also have daycare bills

Feeling this. We have the money and the budgeting isn't a problem but when we got our first annual statement for taxes and saw we're dumping $9k a year for not even a full week, that stung.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 4, 2022

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

We had a bathroom like that but the tiles were blown and the layout was super wacky and the bath was leaking so I had to gut it and start from scratch. I posted a thread the tldr is it was loads of work and messy as hell.

We have another shower room with more or less the exact same tile that we have kept, because like the others are saying if it has lasted 70 years and it ain't broke...

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

I have a bathroom like this in my house.. and they fuckin painted al the ties.. with poo poo latex paint.. it's not used often but I'm sad the 1960s pink tile is all ruined now, it's probably got a real neat floor under the vinyl plank they put in.

My grandparents old 1960s house was recently put on the market and they painted all of the pink tile in the master bath, and all of the green tile in the hall bath white. It was visibly peeling in the listing photos, and it can't have been more than 5-6 years old.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Agree with everyone about keeping that absolutely pristine tile work and just fixing stuff that needs fixing like lighting, ventilation, and maybe ceiling. Embrace and enjoy having a colorful bathroom. Art Deco and mid century bathrooms are the absolute best because they're so vibrant and colorful (and incredibly well built) I'm tired of the cold sterile monochrome thing going on with bathrooms nowadays.

While house hunting, my husband and I looked at several early 40's houses, and many of them had their original bathrooms. My favorite was lavender with sage accents - it had all original lavender fixtures (including toilet paper holder and electric wall heater) and the tile work was immaculate despite being 75+ years old. Told my husband that if we bought that house the lavender bathroom was staying just the way it was because it was perfect.

I'd only replace old tile work if it was actually deteriorated, which is the case with my bathroom. This is the Victorian-era tile work falling apart:

These are insanely good quality tiles compared to what they produce today - gorgeous bone white crackle glaze, super thick, and flat so you can do the awesome razor-thin grout lines. Modern day tiles are generally all beveled and I hate it.

But yeah, gonna have to replace them with themselves after I painstakingly chisel them out of the wall and clean them up.

Re: old water heaters: ours is from 1998 and we got back from Christmas travels to no hot water. All it needed was a new thermocouple (old one was so hosed up we were amazed that it had been working at all).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Queen Victorian posted:

But yeah, gonna have to replace them with themselves after I painstakingly chisel them out of the wall and clean them up.

It would be a crime to do anything else. A lesser crime if you at least saved them for someone else, but still a crime.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Queen Victorian posted:

I'd only replace old tile work if it was actually deteriorated, which is the case with my bathroom. This is the Victorian-era tile work falling apart:

These are insanely good quality tiles compared to what they produce today - gorgeous bone white crackle glaze, super thick, and flat so you can do the awesome razor-thin grout lines. Modern day tiles are generally all beveled and I hate it.

But yeah, gonna have to painstakingly chisel them out of the wall and clean them up.

If it means following through, I'd come up & help you chip off old grout/plaster. Subway tile like that is a vanishing treasure.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Is this how you're supposed to patch a wall?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's certainly an option.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
we have very hard water (municipal, not a well) and are considering water softeners. the two of us grew up with well water so our experience is lugging around heavy bags of salt; are there newer options that don’t require that?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

kitten emergency posted:

we have very hard water (municipal, not a well) and are considering water softeners. the two of us grew up with well water so our experience is lugging around heavy bags of salt; are there newer options that don’t require that?

Move the salt, enjoy the soft water. I was in the same situation as you but after living with the hard water for a year before installing the water softener I absolutely wish I had done it sooner.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Tremors posted:

Move the salt, enjoy the soft water. I was in the same situation as you but after living with the hard water for a year before installing the water softener I absolutely wish I had done it sooner.

i suppose you can’t beat the classics. thanks!

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

kitten emergency posted:

i suppose you can’t beat the classics. thanks!

Fortunately my house at some point in history had a softener installed so I was able to chop out the seized parts and get the new unit installed myself.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131944&pagenumber=221&perpage=40&userid=0#post520786532

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
You could go with something like a kinetico system but be prepared to spend several thousand dollars.

e: worth reaching out to some local water treatment companies. They'll have far superior units to what you can get at the big box stores and will know the typical water conditions in your area.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 5, 2022

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
We are looking to replace our pantry closet door, but of course it's an uncommon size: 22" width.

I'm hoping to spend a couple hundred on the door. Is there anywhere online I should be looking? The big box options are limited to non existent for that size. We're not looking for anything fancy, but I'm wondering if we're going to be forced into the higher end options thanks to the sizing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

brugroffil posted:

We are looking to replace our pantry closet door, but of course it's an uncommon size: 22" width.

I'm hoping to spend a couple hundred on the door. Is there anywhere online I should be looking? The big box options are limited to non existent for that size. We're not looking for anything fancy, but I'm wondering if we're going to be forced into the higher end options thanks to the sizing.

I was always under the impression that most doors require some kind of custom fitting. Maybe I’m wrong.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Depending on your experience, equipment and comfort level, you can absolutely buy a 24" wide solid-core door slab and rip it down to 22".

If not, you'll be paying someone to do that.

If you were anywhere near me (south Jersey) I could probably give you one of mine; I collected a few from my neighbors when they remodelled (most of the homes in my neighborhood were built to the same plan and materials in 1930). Could trim it down as needed.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 5, 2022

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

BigFactory posted:

I was always under the impression that most doors require some kind of custom fitting. Maybe I’m wrong.

I can buy pre hung or slab doors off the shelf in multiple styles in any size from 18-36" in two inch increments.... except 22".

You've got to shim in and square up a pre hung door as you're installing it, or you've got to route in the hinges and cut holes for the lockset if you're buying a plain slab, but the doors themselves are typically stocked or available on short order.

Home Depot and Lowes don't seem to even offer 22" doors.

PainterofCrap posted:

Depending on your experience, equipment and comfort level, you can absolutely buy a 24" wide solid-core door slab and rip it down to 22".

If not, you'll be paying someone to do that.

If you were anywhere near me (south Jersey) I could probably give you one of mine; I collected a few from my neighbors when they remodelled (most of the homes in my neighborhood were built to the same plan and materials in 1930). Could trim it down as needed.

you know, how hard could it really be to simply fab my own two panel door??

I would think a ripped down 24" door for anything but plain slab would look "off," though it's something to keep in mind if it's $150 for that option vs. $500+ to have someone custom build me a door. The fit and finish level of the rest of my home is not worthy of a $500+ pantry door.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 5, 2022

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

brugroffil posted:

The fit and finish level of the rest of my home is not worthy of a $500+ pantry door.
Hey, maybe this is just where you start bringing up that overall fit and finish!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Could you take this opportunity to make it a standard sizes door, ie widen the opening 2"?

Would require king and jack studs and a new header I beleive. Which I presume means drywall work too. Probably worth it though? Could even be cheaper than custom sizes door.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Have you measure the door itself compared to a 24" door in the store? Is there a chance the 2" includes the framing and the door itself is 22"?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
In my area there's a store that only sells doors. It's where I buy them because it's way easier to get what I need than at the big box stores. Ask contractors where they buy theirs and you'll find the equivalent, if it exists.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yowza. I was wandering around, as one does, and found this guy who'd restored his house and had a brilliant idea. A house easement. He'd done a lot of work to restore the house to its original condition, and he wanted to make sure that future owners didn't undo his hard work. Fair enough. I get it.

Solution?

quote:

Each character defining feature you want to preserve must be identified and listed in the preservation easement document. Number and description of windows, porches and porch elements, wood siding, and exterior finishes, interior features such as non painted woodwork, antique kitchen sinks, even the land and landscape features that comprise the setting of the building. The character defining features that you worked so hard to protect will be protected when you are gone and/or the building is sold.

Anyone can record a preservation easement in perpetuity on any property by going to a lawyer.

Each time the house ownership is conveyed to another owner, the easement is attached to the deed.
The problem here is how will the easement be enforced?

Who will know that your claw foot tub has been replaced unless the new buyer raises a question?

The answer is that there must be an easement holder.

One large organization is the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The National Trust goes into more detail about Preservation Easements on their site. One stipulation is that the property must be listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). If your home is not on the NRHP, or does not qualify to be listed on the NRHP, there may be another easement holding organization with less strict criteria.

All this comes with a cost of about several thousand dollars. Understand that yearly visits must be made to ensure all future homeowners are abiding by your easement requirements. A preservation easement is similar to the Farmland Preservation Easement.

I would not buy the most exquisitely restored piece of Steamboat Gothic (what we called it in Indiana; the rest of you can call it Queen Anne) if it came with yearly visits from a third party checking for authenticity.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yowza. I was wandering around, as one does, and found this guy who'd restored his house and had a brilliant idea. A house easement. He'd done a lot of work to restore the house to its original condition, and he wanted to make sure that future owners didn't undo his hard work. Fair enough. I get it.

Solution?

I would not buy the most exquisitely restored piece of Steamboat Gothic (what we called it in Indiana; the rest of you can call it Queen Anne) if it came with yearly visits from a third party checking for authenticity.

Wow, I guess there is something worse than an HOA.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We got a small home equity loan to finish our renovations and holy crap we've been buried in scam letters about insurance for the loan. Like dozens of often scary looking like government or past due letters with almost the same wording about the dumb insurance that want to sell us. Sometimes the letters make it seem like we have to get the insurance.

What a dumb thing our loan is public information I guess so they can hound us.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

FuzzySlippers posted:

We got a small home equity loan to finish our renovations and holy crap we've been buried in scam letters about insurance for the loan. Like dozens of often scary looking like government or past due letters with almost the same wording about the dumb insurance that want to sell us. Sometimes the letters make it seem like we have to get the insurance.

What a dumb thing our loan is public information I guess so they can hound us.
Haha, yeah, those things are a loving plague. I really do wish laws were stricter about poo poo that's clearly meant to actively trick naive folks.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Whatever you do, never list your house for sale and then take it off the market after a little while. Every single realtor in a 200 mile radius will be calling you asking if you why and if you're sure you don't want to try again.

mutata fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 6, 2022

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Motronic posted:

It would be a crime to do anything else. A lesser crime if you at least saved them for someone else, but still a crime.

I'm probably going to have to fight for the ribbon & garland decorative tiles - my husband doesn't like them at all. Also they're very worn out, but maybe they could be repainted (the ribbons and millgrain borders used to be hand painted in rose gold). Either way I'll be holding onto them and if they don't go back into the main bathroom, I can design our future powder room around them.

PainterofCrap posted:

If it means following through, I'd come up & help you chip off old grout/plaster. Subway tile like that is a vanishing treasure.

It's gonna be a while - since this is the only bathroom in the house, we will need to plumb and build out an entirely new second full bathroom first.

But yeah, old subway tile is indeed a vanishing treasure. Even the local salvage place said that while they'd always try to nab the fancy/colored tile, they rarely salvaged the plain white tile because it was plain and common and difficult to remove intact; and you can still buy it today, even though it's either the pillowy beveled stuff or historic replica tile for $$$$.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Solution?

As someone who'd happily live in a historic district and abide by their aesthetic rules in exchange for knowing my neighbors can't ruin the neighborhood vibe with white plastic windows and any other ugly "improvements" that are visible from the street, this house easement thing is too loving much.

I understand and support conservation easements on land use because it prevents developers from making GBS threads up farms and open space with hideous/unsustainable sprawl and otherwise ensures we can protect our farms and forests etc., but hilariously restrictive crap on the deed of an individual, already developed property that includes rules on the interior? What the actual hell.

There are some notable cases of abject desecration that have me thinking that maybe somea lot more rules might be in order, but at the end of the day, it's just some house that, very unfortunately, happens to belong to philistines with appallingly bad taste and enough money and motivation to gently caress poo poo up.

I mean, I'd be for non-draconian community/municipal rules and/or guidelines that encourage good aesthetic practices that everyone can enjoy in the form of a lovely neighborhood, but rules about the interior or even back of your house? Never. As much as I loathe philistines who trash old houses, I respect their right to be philistines in the privacy of their own home where I don't have to see it.

That said, the only situation in which I'd even consider accepting a crazy easement with inspections and poo poo is if the house is a bona fide historic structure and upkeep and maintenance is subsidized by the state/some perseveration fund.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I put down a bunch of 6 mil plastic over my dirt crawlspace to make it cleaner/nicer for me while I crawl around working on a wiring/lighting project. I noticed this afternoon that there was quite a bit of condensation on the underside of the plastic, nothing on the top side. Is this something I should be concerned about? It hasn't rained since December. 80 year old house with a number of ventilation windows around the sides of the crawlspace.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

No, that’s the chief reason to do it: moisture mitigation.

I did the same thing in both of my crawlspaces.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
We encapsulated our crawlspace to try to stabilize the moisture content and prevent seasonal movement of our floors - wish we had done it years ago. It makes being under there so much nicer, not lying in damp clay/mud, don't need coveralls, tools stay clean, etc. Only downside is you have to soak up any water you spill while working on plumbing. Probably the single best QOL upgrade we did that no one but me will ever see.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 6, 2022

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Quote is not edit!

edit: to salvage this shameful post, I do have an actual question. I have some lingering CFLs that have finally crapped out and I want to replace with LEDs. I have Phillips Hue bulbs in a lot of the house, but in places like bathrooms, etc - I don't feel the need to have the functionality of Hue - a simple bulb is fine. What is a good, reliable LED brand that won't crap out in 12 months?

ROJO fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 6, 2022

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’ve been buying the Walmart Great Value store brand LED bulb for years and have never had an issue with them

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Well I started bathroom demo to replace tub with shower, etc. Showers have 2" drains and it's supposed to be 2" all the way to the main, larger drain.

This is an upstairs bathroom, the drain is all 1.5" u til it disappears into a joist, then reappears in basement (skipping main level) as 4" or whatever.

So I guess I'm going to reduce this right at the drain before the p trap. Just wanted to own up to doing the wrong thing, as I really don't want to tear out the ceiling below to "fix" this.

I beleive the main code requirement for this is in case of backs up and a shower can't hold as much water, probably.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

PainterofCrap posted:

No, that’s the chief reason to do it: moisture mitigation.

I did the same thing in both of my crawlspaces.

ROJO posted:

We encapsulated our crawlspace to try to stabilize the moisture content and prevent seasonal movement of our floors - wish we had done it years ago. It makes being under there so much nicer, not lying in damp clay/mud, don't need coveralls, tools stay clean, etc. Only downside is you have to soak up any water you spill while working on plumbing. Probably the single best QOL upgrade we did that no one but me will ever see.

Good deal. Mine isn't fully encapsulated like ROJO's, just a couple big sheets of 6 mil stretched out over the main crawl areas. I was worried maybe there'd be mold under the plastic or something that would seep out and infect my floot beams.

ROJO's looks awesome, did you fully condition the whole space? Like block off the ventilation points and insulate the walls?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ROJO posted:

Thats pretty cool. I imagine that also helps out somewhat with Radon accumulation / mitigation too.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

spf3million posted:

Good deal. Mine isn't fully encapsulated like ROJO's, just a couple big sheets of 6 mil stretched out over the main crawl areas. I was worried maybe there'd be mold under the plastic or something that would seep out and infect my floot beams.

ROJO's looks awesome, did you fully condition the whole space? Like block off the ventilation points and insulate the walls?

No, they aren't fully blocked off, although the wooden, louvered vents we installed with the new siding have fairly minimal airflow, but it's definitely non-zero.

That Works posted:

Thats pretty cool. I imagine that also helps out somewhat with Radon accumulation / mitigation too.

No clue! Radon isn't a huge concern where we are and I've never even thought about it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

ROJO posted:

No, they aren't fully blocked off, although the wooden, louvered vents we installed with the new siding have fairly minimal airflow, but it's definitely non-zero.

No clue! Radon isn't a huge concern where we are and I've never even thought about it.

The severity of Radon exposure for an area takes into account the type of homes built there. Texas is considered a low radon area because almost nobody has basements, it's all on-slab or vented crawl spaces. However, if you have a basement or encapsulated crawl space I would invest in a radon monitor and keep an eye on it because you are no longer getting the ventilation that is expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Queen Victorian posted:

I understand and support conservation easements on land use because it prevents developers from making GBS threads up farms and open space with hideous/unsustainable sprawl and otherwise ensures we can protect our farms and forests etc.,

I have bad news for you in regards to how most of those are being done........

It's a property tax break for the owner, and they can be "unpreserved" by the current or any future owner by paying the undiscounted back taxes in full.