Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Did you see any suspicious people around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
No suspicious people, but there was a coyote.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Someone posted a Ring video of someone putting stuff in their recycling bin, they made sure to note that it was all recyclable material that was put in the bin. One of the first replies was warning the person who made the post to "Watch out for MS-13."

Those dastardly gangsters, avoiding recycling pick-up fees by using someone else's bin.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chief McHeath posted:

One of the first replies was warning the person who made the post to "Watch out for MS-13."

:lol:

I remember when I was a kid I was playing with my cousin at a creek and we were afraid of the Vice Lords. It was the late 80s early 90s.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:lol:

I remember when I was a kid I was playing with my cousin at a creek and we were afraid of the Vice Lords. It was the late 80s early 90s.

Right after Boyz N The Hood came out, in my city it was "The Raiders".
A bunch of teenagers that were all decked out in L.A. Raiders stuff like Doughboy from the movie. Except I think he only wore a Raiders hat?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think Raiders clothing was looked at as gang clothing in schools here back then.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Top Cat seems like one of those shows that was actually pretty good for its time among Hanna-Barbera stuff, but between the premise, dialogue and cultural references it's almost completely incomprehensible if you aren't at least loosely familiar with 60s New York.

Like a lot of old Hanna Barbera stuff Top Cat was basically a parody of something contemporary starring voice talent that could do pretty good vocal impressions, Top Cat having the voice and mannerisms of Phil Silvers' character on the Phil Silvers show. The premise of pretty much every HB cartoon until the late 60s was "Can Daws Butler do a good impression of [popular comedian your parents watched in 1963]? Yes? Great, pick out an animal for him to be and we'll wrap a show around it"

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Top Cat seems like one of those shows that was actually pretty good for its time among Hanna-Barbera stuff, but between the premise, dialogue and cultural references it's almost completely incomprehensible if you aren't at least loosely familiar with 60s New York.

For whatever reason, Top Cat was popular enough in latin american markets that a Mexican studio made a new Don Gato theatrical film in 2011:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Cat:_The_Movie

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

top cat! the mossasepable top cat!
whose intellectual
close friends get to call him TC
profighting is whip in a tea

On the BBC when I was a kid the title card said 'Boss Cat' even though everyone stil called him 'TC' and the song clearly said 'Top Cat', because Top Cat was a brand of cat food.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

je1 healthcare posted:

For whatever reason, Top Cat was popular enough in latin american markets that a Mexican studio made a new Don Gato theatrical film in 2011:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Cat:_The_Movie

Apparently it had a really good Mexican Spanish dub, presumably one that localised a lot of jokes and took liberties since the original had so many specific references that wouldn't carry over. Same reason a lot of anime like DBZ are crazy popular in Latin America.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

WARNing! BE On the LOOKOUT!

If u r driving at nite and a a car flashes there lites at you Do NOT FLash back at them! This is a gang initation and they will turn around and kill U! It happen to my ant, she driving home from work when a car flash her brites at her and she flash back and the car start follow her! She got soo scared that she stop at quiik trip and wait in parking lot for 20 min to calm down. The car drive by and she couldn't see them but she knew she almost got killed! Always b carful u never kno what poeple r capeable of! I tell her call the cops next time

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Chief McHeath posted:

Someone posted a Ring video of someone putting stuff in their recycling bin, they made sure to note that it was all recyclable material that was put in the bin. One of the first replies was warning the person who made the post to "Watch out for MS-13."

Those dastardly gangsters, avoiding recycling pick-up fees by using someone else's bin.

Are people just being ironic or are they this moronic? It just seems like low effort trolling or an easy bot that keeps mentioning ridiculous bullshit to amp up suburban anxiety.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

A Strange Aeon posted:

Are people just being ironic or are they this moronic? It just seems like low effort trolling or an easy bot that keeps mentioning ridiculous bullshit to amp up suburban anxiety.

If the person is over 45, I wholly believe that they are genuinely terrified of gangs doing gang things near them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

A Strange Aeon posted:

This type of fear is exactly how Trump got elected.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fashionable Jorts posted:

If the person is over 45, I wholly believe that they are genuinely terrified of gangs doing gang things near them.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This type of fear is exactly how Trump got elected.

So back in like 2019-ish I was taking a walk in my neighborhood. On a kinda culdesac street with no sidewalks, no traffic. As I'm walking I come up behind this lady who is working on her front lawn garden. She's probably in her 50s-60s, so prime facebook/nextdoor material.

For whatever reason she doesn't hear me walking until I'm under 10 feet away, at which point she whirls around with a giant gasp and a look of abject terror. Just absolute shock and fear from having a person walk up behind them on their neighborhood street in daylight hours. I can understand being startled by someone you didn't hear, but this was way way way beyond that. I dunno what the heck she was imagining but it was pretty crazy.

2020 comes around and they have a whole bunch of Trump 2020 placards on the yard and a huge Trump Keep America Great banner on the side of their house. After November they put up a hand-made sign for a while about the election being stolen. The banner is actually still on their house, but being a Trump product the colors faded out badly and it looks like poo poo now.

(It's also something I've thought about afterwards like if I was Black, and lived in a state where anybody can get a handgun, how much worse it could be.)

CrunkDog420
Nov 8, 2003

BLACK GOLD!

Nextdoor is maybe not the best place to reach out to for this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

stay safe, neighbors, people might be using your driveway to turn around

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Car turned around in driveway, the rest a fantastical 'what if story' authored by a bored boomer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lol "this car seemed freaked out that I was following it around at 5 in the morning, that's pretty suspicious."

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Last night, my 16-year-old son called my wife and I while we were out breathlessly telling us that someone had parked on the street in front of our house and went into our neighbor’s house, who were having a party.

He’s going to post on Nextdoor someday, I just know it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Nextdoor posted:

General
Anyone else enjoying the hundreds of geese/ducks that have been flying overhead. Daily, sometimes multiple times a day. Some in formation, some flying hither an thither? Been going over the house for weeks. Going north, then south! Maybe I’m weird, I enjoy watching them! Stay safe everyone!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Wake me when there is a flesh eating, drugged up crocodile in the Milwaukee area.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Birdwatching goes both ways.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Tunicate posted:

Birdwatching goes both ways.

No, bird watchers are government agents uploading the stuff that the birds observed to the relevant government agencies.

Old people who feed birds in the park are actually "feeding" them new orders/instructions.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

TK8325 posted:

If u r driving at nite and a a car flashes there lites at you Do NOT FLash back at them! This is a gang initation and they will turn around and kill U! It happen to my ant, she driving home from work when a car flash her brites at her and she flash back and the car start follow her! She got soo scared that she stop at quiik trip and wait in parking lot for 20 min to calm down. The car drive by and she couldn't see them but she knew she almost got killed! Always b carful u never kno what poeple r capeable of! I tell her call the cops next time

I've heard this one before and it never made sense to me. If it was a "gang initiation" and some "gangster" was out to kill you, why would they decide to spare you if you didn't flash your lights back? In fact, if they were out to kill you, why even give you the warning of flashing their lights? Why not just follow you and kill you with no warning? Picking a random target driving in the opposite direction to kill seems like a bad idea that would get them caught anyway. If they had to kill someone, wouldn't they want to pick their target with more care?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Nebrilos posted:

I've heard this one before and it never made sense to me. If it was a "gang initiation" and some "gangster" was out to kill you, why would they decide to spare you if you didn't flash your lights back? In fact, if they were out to kill you, why even give you the warning of flashing their lights? Why not just follow you and kill you with no warning? Picking a random target driving in the opposite direction to kill seems like a bad idea that would get them caught anyway. If they had to kill someone, wouldn't they want to pick their target with more care?

U never no what ppl are capable of!!!

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

TK8325 posted:

I remember this from the 90s as the big scare, almost as big a fear as "don't wear red/blue to the [pretty white, suburban shopping mall where the single person of color you might see is probably very obviously working in the service industry at said mall behind a counter in the food court] because the crips or the bloods will shoot you dead right on the spot"

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

Suspicious Activity! Last thursday I made a U-turn on Fake Street because I was on the wrong street, and all of a sudden a big F150 pickup pulled out of the garage and started tailgating me getting an inch off my bumper every time I hit a stop light! I tried to get away but the man kept following me and had his camera out like he was trying to record himself trying to road rage me, but I eventually got away and pulled over and ducked down under the dash to hide. I was just about to call the cops when one pulled up behind me and turned on the lights, and the cop asked for my ID and said I'd been reported for suspicious activity in the neighborhood. I explained I was just trying to turn around but he just shrugged and gave me a "warning" and drove off. I was pretty pissed off but I didn't snap at him that he only got called because I was black and driving a nice car on Fake Street because he'd find some way to bring me in I'm sure.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Lots of folks out there who just can't cope with the idea that they live cozy lives in comfortable suburbs and need to pretend their carving a living out of a harsh lawless wasteland

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't like having to use someone's driveway to turn around (it's always felt rude to me), but knowing there are suburbanites out there in such a perpetual state of outraged terror that they might unload their arsenal on me for doing so is a disturbing thought.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Refund the police!

I remember my mom was in the neighborhood watch and they had signs that they put in the windows to let crime beset pedestrians know that it was a safe space.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Refund the police!

I remember my mom was in the neighborhood watch and they had signs that they put in the windows to let crime beset pedestrians know that it was a safe space.

There's still some old (like vintage 1980) street signs around here about the neighborhood watch. I should grab some pictures, but apparently at one point the best thing they could think of to fight crime was metal street signs with a weird stylized eye on them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

God, when is the last time someone saw a Block Parent sign?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
We still have both "Eyes on the Street" and "Neighbourhood Watch"

The Safety House program (which used to be Australia-wide) technically still exists in my state but I think most people worked out that you can't have people putting stickers on their mailbox that invite random children to visit them. Edit: Oh, I see that this is basically the same idea as Block Parent.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 8, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I posted this in the schadenfreude thread before I realized this is its proper home:

At least three nights a week, from 8pm to about midnight, my neighbors have a wild time getting mega drunk and singing extremely loud Spanish karaoke. It's all middle-age Mexican dudes having what is clearly the time of their lives belting out tunes through a crackling mic with the gain set to 11. I love it -- the energy and happiness are contagious, and I have never heard anybody else complain even though you can definitely hear it a whole block away.

I'm not on Nextdoor, but I assume there's a white chud on there complaining about the "loud ethnic (gang?) music"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If someone were playing loud music until midnight, I'd be pissed and complain. But I'm sure it's great that they aren't white so that makes it better and forgivable.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

~Coxy posted:

We still have both "Eyes on the Street" and "Neighbourhood Watch"

The Safety House program (which used to be Australia-wide) technically still exists in my state but I think most people worked out that you can't have people putting stickers on their mailbox that invite random children to visit them. Edit: Oh, I see that this is basically the same idea as Block Parent.

It sounds like a safety house if the polar opposite of a Nextdoor poster’s house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Neito posted:

There's still some old (like vintage 1980) street signs around here about the neighborhood watch. I should grab some pictures, but apparently at one point the best thing they could think of to fight crime was metal street signs with a weird stylized eye on them.

Just LOL at having that goofy eye when you could have Boris the Burglar™: