Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Has anyone else been watching "Atasha Kawashiri Kodama da yo: Dangerous Lifehacker no Tadareta Seikatsu?" (Guess "Dangerous Lifehacker" will do for a shorter name.) It's very short and very silly and makes me a teeny bit depressed between snickers since it's way to close to my own existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

You know what we REALLY need? A new adaptation of Bobobo-bobo-bobo that covers the entire manga, uncensored with all the blood and with all the references that were cut out of the anime like Yugi popping out of Bobobo's afro

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The references were never going to happen and never will happen.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The references they put in the osomatsu san ep that got it copyright striked out of existence

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

SexyBlindfold posted:

Since it's considered a culturally significant traditional craft I think you can qualify for some degree of government support, but I have no idea what form it regularly takes other than it being some of the fields eligible for the title of Living National Treasure (government recognition as a master practitioner of some of Japan's cultural heritage disciplines, either as an artisan or entertainer), which comes with a hefty yearly grant and some additional perks.
When I first got into the show I actually assumed Gojo's grandpa was a LNT since he's a master craftsman, but reading up on it a bit more it's actually insanely hard to get that title since there's a limit of like 100 nationwide title-holders at any given time due to budget constraints, so you basically have to wait for one of the current holders to die off to even be considered, at which point you'll be duking it out with every other master artisan in the country.
lmao, just found out that a shrine in the town i used to live in has an anual ceremony/public service where they collect these beautifully crafted hina ningyo and childrens' day dolls from families who no longer need them after the ceremonies and then light them all on fire

sorry, gojo's grandpa :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sono bisque doll

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Colonel posted:

sono bisque doll

*raucous applause*

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
this ep delivered both the rom AND the com, well done

Apraxin posted:

lmao, just found out that a shrine in the town i used to live in has an anual ceremony/public service where they collect these beautifully crafted hina ningyo and childrens' day dolls from families who no longer need them after the ceremonies and then light them all on fire

sorry, gojo's grandpa :(

I mean I guess doing that keeps more families buying the doll sets every year??? I don't really live in a country that has any tradition to compare it with, but the closest I can think of are nativity scenes, which are often made traditionally, used once a year and every family has one, but you can just keep using the same ugly baby jesus forever.

e: vvv nevermind then 😔

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 5, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

families dont buy new dolls every year. the dolls can run you thousands of dollars, so you reuse the same set of dolls every hinamatsuri until your kids are older. likewise sometimes kids get singular dolls meant to represent 'them' that are kept in a display case somewhere yearround until, again, the kid is an adult.

the burning isnt a marketing scheme or wasteful, its part of the symbolic gesture of the toys, 'you're no longer a kid, you cant go back to being a kid, the toy is gone.' ofc there's also shintoist routes with regards to beloved family objects cursing you if you just throw them away or stick them in an attic forever instead of giving them a proper sendoff.

and obviously in the modern day some people do just stick them in an attic forever, or pass them onto their own kids, or w/e.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The Colonel posted:

sono bisque doll

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i assume the translators are taking some liberties, but it's cool when marin says stuff like 'my dude'

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Big Leg posted:

i assume the translators are taking some liberties, but it's cool when marin says stuff like 'my dude'

yabai

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Big Leg posted:

Marin definitely talks in a "gyaru" way, so those translations fit.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Big Leg posted:

I loved that part.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

I Am Fowl posted:

I loved that part.

(marin kitagawa-ishly) my dude

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Tamba posted:

Marin definitely talks in a "gyaru" way, so those translations fit.

The official manga has plenty of "adorbs", "gorg", and "totes"(especially once Marin gets excited) so "my dude" seems pretty fitting.

Anyway, it was a good episode. Even though I've read these chapters several times it's still so satisfying seeing it animated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Leg posted:

nah she honestly talks even slangier in the JP

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Double NuBras are too powerful!

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAND!

How is this show so ecchi and yet so damned wholesome? I've watched a few reactions from women and they're universally "I want to marry this man, NOW." ;-*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

First episode of the Shenmue anime is surprisingly promising! I think divorcing the story from the awkward gameplay and glacial pacing of the actual games is only going to do it a favor.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Waffleman_ posted:

First episode of the Shenmue anime is surprisingly promising! I think divorcing the story from the awkward gameplay and glacial pacing of the actual games is only going to do it a favor.

It's what I said the moment it was released. The best chance Shenmue has to conclude is probably through another media.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Strongest Sage With the Weakest Crest is crap. But the later episode proved us that adding a dragon loli in your show will make it more entertaining even if it's crap.

Also, demon DIO as the cliffhanger of latest episode.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 6, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Strongest Sage With the Weakest Crest is crap. But the later episode proved us that adding a dragon loli in your show will make it more entertaining even if it's crap.

It's not technically an isekai but it works exactly the same way (he reincarnated thousands of years into the future with his full memories, has god-tier powers compared to anyone in this age, hides his true identity) so you gotta lower your standards. :v:

Wise Man's Apprentice and Leadale are both "sucked into the game" isekais but they also did a similar "skipped ahead hundreds of years, hides the fact that they used to be a legendary hero" thing, I guess fantasy timeskips are just in fashion this season

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Doodles posted:

Double NuBras are too powerful!

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAND!

How is this show so ecchi and yet so damned wholesome? I've watched a few reactions from women and they're universally "I want to marry this man, NOW." ;-*

I think it's because it's all done so well. Both characters are interesting, easy to identify with, and believable. Gojo is shy and only average, teen-level horny but not ANIME HORNY so it's just funny in its awkwardness. Marin is fun and casual. It's a winning combination.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i really wish they would expand the cast already because the interactions just aren't doing anything for me, esp most of the romance stuff

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
is wholesome the only word people know for a story having character writing

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I like my eroge wholesome

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

The Colonel posted:

wholesome has come to mean 'relatively normal human interaction' and it drives me up the fuckin wall

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It is a word whose modern usage has made me wish to never see it again.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Using wholesome is toxic

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wholesome Horney is the aesthetic that whips

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That girl with the frog quirk? Mad wholesome drip

marumaru
May 20, 2013

fr fr no cap

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Wholesome Horney is the aesthetic that whips

:blastu:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

i really wish they would expand the cast already because the interactions just aren't doing anything for me, esp most of the romance stuff
Give it an episode. There's more cast in the opening.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Which, of course is way different from Machio-sama, who is just swolesome.

Man, this is going to culminate in Jetflix recommending Wholesome Anime Classics like Hamtaro, isn't it?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

dogsicle posted:

Marin's twin colored hair friend should show up more, yes.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The Colonel posted:

I mean, I’d call it wholesome because it consistently promotes the message that people should be able to enjoy what they like and be who they want to be regardless of gender stereotypes.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the low iq viewer: bisque doll, wholesome

the high iq gentleman: akebi, feet

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wholesome or comfy

kill one, be stuck with the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

The Colonel posted:

I mean, you could have the exact same characterization and plot, but if Gojo was a teacher instead of a classmate, it wouldn't be wholesome no more