Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm wondering if it comes through more in a newer translation. Terra's dialogue feels very stilted, and it's rare enough that I've forgotten more than once that she isn't a silent Protag. I guess we're just glad she didn't get Locke imprinted on her mind like Fyana

That's kind of on purpose. She's lost, haunted by memories that are barely even hers given the brainwashing and mind control and has been left with basically nothing left after she broken free. She's barely holding on to be able to have a conversation right around the time she has another meltdown that triggers her magic half and she learns she's even further from the humanity she's trying to make connections to. So her speech being stilted fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Why are you all still interacting with the poster who insisted on calling Sabin Sabine and then said it had to be a mistranslation when called on it?

Clearly the posting is not being made in good faith here

Eh, they're obviously doing a bit but I'm pretty sure the opinions they're expressing underneath the shitposting are still sincere. Whether or not that's worth responding to is up to the individual, I guess.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i think the snes tl of ff6 has several errors and limited space compared to the gba-onwards retl, fwiw? never played the snes ver but i feel like the gba ver has more like, lines or smth???

hmm this discussion is making me want to play gba 6 again with the sound patch

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Cattail Prophet posted:

Eh, they're obviously doing a bit but I'm pretty sure the opinions they're expressing underneath the shitposting are still sincere. Whether or not that's worth responding to is up to the individual, I guess.

I mean it's that or talking about limp bizkit and bullshit, both equal, imo

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cleretic posted:

Personally I think we're too quick to poo poo on people who disagree with the groupthink here, so I'm keen to listen to Gaius keep going. Either they're going to make good points eventually or at some point be interesting.

Alternatively, they may just keep digging deeper.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I love this playthrough with wanton modern eyes, there are no sacred cows, my childhood was simple and simply told, I admit and still cherish it

what am I gonna get mad at someone painstakingly enjoying a 30 year old game???

but like, this

Gaius Marius posted:

Also they should've given you access to Magicite earlier, don't explain what it is, and don't let you use the summon function. Let the Player come to the realization of what it is or not. Then when you get the reveal that "Oh my god it's made of Esper" you can have a shocking moment at what you've done, and a good think about the morality of it. Plus you add another interesting system to gently caress with which helps with how utterly dire the early game is.

if you want to talk about tonal whiplash that sure as gently caress would have been it. you can't have the heroes be horrified at the power they're using as a core mechanic. especially in this fuckin' game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why not. They do straight up genocide. Having the party be like. drat should we be doing this isn't that much of a stretch

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cattail Prophet posted:

Yeah, they're actually making something resembling cogent points in a few places. Like, I can actually agree with them that the Sabin/Cyan/Shadow/Gau branch is a tonal rollercoaster that doesn't necessarily stick any of its landings.

And for what it's worth, I do think the GBA-onwards VI script is overall better, but you do lose a lot of the famous meme lines. And when we're talking about a game with someone like Kefka, that's actually pretty big as a loss, those lines stuck in our minds for good reasons.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Why not. They do straight up genocide. Having the party be like. drat should we be doing this isn't that much of a stretch

because that's tonally whiplashtic (which I said!!!) and more importantly boring

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's hosed up that they aren't thinking about it! Terra is wearing her dad on her neck.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

edgar probably shouldn't be gallivanting about with the party instead of managing his submarining castle because you'd ostensibly think that as the king of Figaro, he should probably do something about the occupation in south figaro

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gaius Marius posted:

It's hosed up that they aren't thinking about it! Terra is wearing her dad on her neck.

So... at the point you're at, then you know that the Espers are cool with this. The Magitek Research Facility Espers literally gave themselves to you, that's as morally uncomplicated as it can get.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Eight-Six posted:

edgar probably shouldn't be gallivanting about with the party instead of managing his submarining castle because you'd ostensibly think that as the king of Figaro, he should probably do something about the occupation in south figaro

There was an unofficial strategy guide I had that likened all of the city states to world war 2 cities and it was a trip. Wish I could find a copy of it to just read because a lot of it was just very wrong from a gameplay perspective but it was a trip to read.

It was this one https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Final-Fantasy-Forbidden-Secrets/dp/1559588004

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Magicite as a game mechanic comes in really late, huh... comparing that to materia or GFs

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Cleretic posted:

So... at the point you're at, then you know that the Espers are cool with this. The Magitek Research Facility Espers literally gave themselves to you, that's as morally uncomplicated as it can get.

So did Ramuh. The Espers are all on board with this!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Magicite as a game mechanic comes in really late, huh... comparing that to materia or GFs

It does, and the early game really can be a drag because of it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What about maduin? Anybody ask him? It's loving weird man. Just dragging your parents soul around with you using it to cast cure.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

first of all, maduin teaches fire 2, ice 2, and lit 2, NOT cure,

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

look maduin can think of no better fate than helping his daughters friends not die

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eight-Six posted:

first of all, maduin teaches fire 2, ice 2, and lit 2, NOT cure,

drat usually dads are against their teenage daughters getting lit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gaius Marius posted:

What about maduin? Anybody ask him? It's loving weird man. Just dragging your parents soul around with you using it to cast cure.

Maduin's Magicite flew towards you magically, so, yes, he's on board. Why wouldn't he be?

Shouldn't you be more wary of, like, Kirin, who only exists in inanimate magicite form? Maduin was pretty clear-cut despite having no lines.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cleretic posted:

Maduin's Magicite flew towards you magically, so, yes, he's on board. Why wouldn't he be?

Maybe Terra has Kirby-like abilities. Her esper form is pink after all.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gaius Marius posted:

He willing comes to your aid from beyond the grave through the magicite. It's the opposite of weird. It's a father doing his best to protect his daughter in death that he failed to in life. In fact, basically every magicite you pick up in the story that isn't optional is either given to you under the authority of one of these higher up Espers or comes willingly to try and help you save their friends/the world.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Not much different than turning your dad's ashes into a diamond if you think about it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Booky posted:

i think the snes tl of ff6 has several errors and limited space compared to the gba-onwards retl, fwiw? never played the snes ver but i feel like the gba ver has more like, lines or smth???

hmm this discussion is making me want to play gba 6 again with the sound patch

There’s a series of posts by the Mother 3 translator guy’s blog where he uses a special script to compare the original Japanese/FF3/FF6GBA/crappy fan translation/Google Translate highlights on a stream he does, and yeah the SNES version tends to get stuff wrong in minor ways or omit minor details like why only Mog can talk.

https://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-vi/

Imho Woolsey’s style isn’t quite for me outside of SMRPG, like I recognize how influential he is and a lot of the errors are very much on Square Enix and not him, but there’s stuff like “he’d slit his mama’s throat for a nickel” that sometimes feels off in context.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ultros is just Beatrice but an octopus, sorry.

I must have missed the part in FF9 where Beatrice wanted to tentacle bang all the women in the party.

Now I'm reminded that Hyadain did a really catchy song about Ultros being a sex pest.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I must have missed the part in FF9 where Beatrice wanted to tentacle bang all the women in the party.

Why do you think the majority of Alexandria's military force are women?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Seacats Beatrice not FF9

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's a shame you missed it; it was a very emotional scene.

(also her name is Beatrix).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

kirbysuperstar posted:

Seacats Beatrice not FF9

That would explain why her name is spelled differently from FF9's Beatrix.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This may be controversial, but I think FF9 would be improved if you replaced Beatrix with Ultros.

Hell, keep the personality the same. Remove the perviness, have Ultros constantly kicking your rear end, and keep the love story between Steiner and Ultros.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Or you could replace FFIX Beatrix with Seacats Beatrice. Everyone would immediately believe it was a witch.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

what is Seacats

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The greatest novel ever written

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ultros owns

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Ultros in 14 is good, actually.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Snow Cone Capone posted:

what is Seacats

Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mocwUrcDx6E

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ultros is dumb-dumb and not Final-Fantasy-dumb so I'm afraid I have to say he sucks poo poo.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014