Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hollow Knight also waits a weirdly long time to give you dodge iframes, that would make a lot of fights so much easier (which is probably exactly why they did that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Seriously, all the FF7 sequel project stuff leant on the dour side of Cloud, but the FF7 remake staff had enough remembrance and engagement with the original material that they didn't retcon Cloud and Aerith into the kind of people they superficially appeared to be.

I'm glad they didn't Advent Children it.

And honestly, when you really think about it, Cloud is only this weird dour sadsack in games outside of the FF7 verse like Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia. In Advent Children, it makes sense for him to be a mopey misery hound who’s detached from everyone because he’s dying of magic cancer AND deeply hosed up from the trauma he experienced over the course of FF7 itself. The plot of the movie is him overcoming both those things and being able to smile again.

And that’s basically the last that’s seen of Cloud in any real meaningful capacity for the rest of the Compilation of Final Fantasy 7. He shows up in Dirge of Cerberus for like 5 seconds where he’s in Job Mode so of course he’s stern and professional, but I don’t even think he talks in DoC. And then he shows up on and off in Crisis Core where he’s an awkward teenager trying his best to fit in and be an emotionless, professional soldier. And then he spends the back quarter of the game catatonic after what goes down in Nibelheim.

Still, goofy dork Cloud reasserting himself in FF7R has been the best thing for the character so far.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
His development is gonna be so weird in the other parts of the remake. Like yes his big defining character moment is still years away but by the end of 7 Re he's already a big softy who deeply respects and cares for everyone else in his party and that probably didn't happen so soon in the original 7 since he's still very stand-offish with everyone else not named Aeris or Tifa after Midgar.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's awesome that they can finally show him trying to put on a hard face over his dipshitdom, and the internal conflict that causes. There was the scene with Johnny too, where he was absolutely about to kill everyone involved and scared Tifa, and you can see his expression soften. It's just great.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

nine-gear crow posted:

And honestly, when you really think about it, Cloud is only this weird dour sadsack in games outside of the FF7 verse like Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia. In Advent Children, it makes sense for him to be a mopey misery hound who’s detached from everyone because he’s dying of magic cancer AND deeply hosed up from the trauma he experienced over the course of FF7 itself. The plot of the movie is him overcoming both those things and being able to smile again.

And that’s basically the last that’s seen of Cloud in any real meaningful capacity for the rest of the Compilation of Final Fantasy 7. He shows up in Dirge of Cerberus for like 5 seconds where he’s in Job Mode so of course he’s stern and professional, but I don’t even think he talks in DoC. And then he shows up on and off in Crisis Core where he’s an awkward teenager trying his best to fit in and be an emotionless, professional soldier. And then he spends the back quarter of the game catatonic after what goes down in Nibelheim.

Still, goofy dork Cloud reasserting himself in FF7R has been the best thing for the character so far.

It's my theory that this whole thing stems from the fact he wasn't actually meant to be where he ended up in Kingdom Hearts.

Apparently, it was meant to be Vincent in the Coliseum, until he was nixed for using guns. I suspect they actually changed very little of the script when Cloud got swapped in, including implementing parts of Vincent's design. Perhaps someone at Disney went 'love everything but the guns', so they had to keep a bunch of the Vincent stuff even if it didn't work.

It would also explain why Squall was hanging out with all the FFVII characters; he got swapped in to where Cloud was meant to be, possibly lifting some of Vincent's gun mechanics.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

But it's okay for Tarzan villian to use a gun? And the pirates in the second game.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

A massive corporation being inconsistent? :monocle:

There were, without a doubt, a couple hundred disney people sticking every one of their fingers into the kingdom hearts pie and threatening to sink the whole shebang any time they didnt like something. disney is insane like that with their ips, its a miracle that any games got made, much less all of them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the sora-donald-goofy insanity in KH2 was also Disney mandated as I recall. the trio had to be greeted that way if you used their names

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

A massive corporation being inconsistent? :monocle:

There were, without a doubt, a couple hundred disney people sticking every one of their fingers into the kingdom hearts pie and threatening to sink the whole shebang any time they didnt like something. disney is insane like that with their ips, its a miracle that any games got made, much less all of them

Oh I ain't doubting that's what happened. Just saying it's bullshit.

The games got made cause square jpn and Disney shared an office building and a square employee cornered an exec in the elevator

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

Can confirm; as one of the translators for KH2 we had a ton of E-mails coming in on the regular from Disney informing our final product and in-person meetings with them at least once a week. It wasn't too bad, mostly because it's not like we started out with, you know, Mickey in chains with a tommy gun and needed to be talked out of it. But between that and another small Disney-only game series I worked on, Disney does have a bunch of rules for their IP, even down to things like "Mickey says 'everybody,' not 'everyone,' but it's the other way around for Goofy" (or whatever). It simplifies things in a lot of ways.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gaius Marius posted:

But it's okay for Tarzan villian to use a gun? And the pirates in the second game.

It might be that those characters are using obviously old guns that you couldn't connect to a modern pistol, while Vincent used very clearly modern guns.

I remember that was how Batman: TAS got away with gun violence by using a 1920s aesthetic and stuff like tommy guns. Since the fear was glorifying present-day gun violence and making kids think their dad's gun was a toy, they got the okay for using guns that are so obviously not the stuff you see on the news.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

"Mickey says 'everybody,' not 'everyone,' but it's the other way around for Goofy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA-NZuvqtg8

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaius Marius posted:

The guns in the Pirates world in KH2 got changed for the western release. I think into crossbows?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hirayuki posted:

Can confirm; as one of the translators for KH2

Ah so it’s your fault

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Ah so it’s your fault
"One of"!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The pirates in the second game actually did get modified from using guns to using crossbows in the US release. Same for Xigbar. I think the recent re-releases uses the uncensored versions but the original releases were NO GUNS. They did have guns in cutscenes but modified the scenes so the guns never pointed at someone. (And they changed the PotC scene where Will threatens to kill himself so there was none of that.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just discovered my new absolute favorite little thing in a video game.

If you turn around just before leaving the prologue of Dying Light 2 and I mean just before the final hop, the reflection of the dilapidated windmill over the water forms the logo of Dead Island, Techland's first entry into the genre. They love their series and their games and proof lies in them everywhere. Please look out for specifically purely visual love like this in every video game you play, I promise it's there.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:46 on Feb 7, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
this Disney nogun thing sounds 4kids level of dumb.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

Hollow Knight also waits a weirdly long time to give you dodge iframes, that would make a lot of fights so much easier (which is probably exactly why they did that)

Oh my god you eventually get a dodge move of any kind in Hollow Knight? This is single-handedly what I felt the combat was missing and so I bounced right off the game after sticking it out for some time. I really hope the reeses cup wrapper dress bug in the sequel has a ballerina dodge move type thing by default.

edit: This makes it sound in hindsight like I didn't like the game but I really liked it, I just didn't like to fight stuff besides the basic mobs.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Feb 7, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CJacobs posted:

If you turn around just before leaving the prologue of Dying Light 2 and I mean just before the final hop, the reflection of the dilapidated windmill over the water forms the logo of Dead Island, Techland's first entry into the genre. They love their series and their games and proof lies in them everywhere. Please look out for specifically purely visual love like this in every video game you play, I promise it's there.

haha i noticed that palm tree and thought it looked weird, that explains it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

Can confirm; as one of the translators for KH2 we had a ton of E-mails coming in on the regular from Disney informing our final product and in-person meetings with them at least once a week. It wasn't too bad, mostly because it's not like we started out with, you know, Mickey in chains with a tommy gun and needed to be talked out of it. But between that and another small Disney-only game series I worked on, Disney does have a bunch of rules for their IP, even down to things like "Mickey says 'everybody,' not 'everyone,' but it's the other way around for Goofy" (or whatever). It simplifies things in a lot of ways.

Slightly off topic, but would love to hear more anecdotes in general about translating something like Kingdom Hearts if you have the time/inclination. Or even that other game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Last Celebration posted:

Slightly off topic, but would love to hear more anecdotes in general about translating something like Kingdom Hearts if you have the time/inclination. Or even that other game.

This. Gaming translation as a job is fascinating to learn about, has been ever since Jeremy Blaustein opened up about the fun/difficulties working with Kojima's writing team, or the RE and Silent Hill voice actors speaking about their time in the studio with JP-speaking-only voice directors.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

CJacobs posted:

yeah Techland absolutely giving a poo poo about their games is the main reason I'm not worried about some of the issue plaguing Dying Light 2 right now and I'm positive it'll be a good right for the next few years. The first Dying Light was getting small and large updates up to a couple of weeks ago, their Spike event had cutscenes not only setting up the intro to DL2 but also bridging the small time gap between the main game and The Following, the open-field dune-buggy expansion they released that always seemed kind of thrown-in, timeline-wise.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

CJacobs posted:

Oh my god you eventually get a dodge move of any kind in Hollow Knight? This is single-handedly what I felt the combat was missing and so I bounced right off the game after sticking it out for some time. I really hope the reeses cup wrapper dress bug in the sequel has a ballerina dodge move type thing by default.

edit: This makes it sound in hindsight like I didn't like the game but I really liked it, I just didn't like to fight stuff besides the basic mobs.
You get a dodge move as probably your second major upgrade, you got a dodge move with invincibility attached "eventually"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The pirates in the second game actually did get modified from using guns to using crossbows in the US release. Same for Xigbar. I think the recent re-releases uses the uncensored versions but the original releases were NO GUNS. They did have guns in cutscenes but modified the scenes so the guns never pointed at someone. (And they changed the PotC scene where Will threatens to kill himself so there was none of that.)

Wait... Xigbar wasn't using crossbows originally? I'm fine with that change, crossbows are a woefully underused weapon and fit much better with KH'S whole bizzarotech feel in the non-Disney IP areas.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Randalor posted:

Wait... Xigbar wasn't using crossbows originally? I'm fine with that change, crossbows are a woefully underused weapon and fit much better with KH'S whole bizzarotech feel in the non-Disney IP areas.

he was, but in the japanese version he combined them into a rifle during his special attack

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Last Celebration posted:

I only played the demo (there’s a lot on my backlog) but it’s such a cool mechanic to have a poor man’s version of the morph ball baked in so that you can still do some stuff with tiny gaps but have part of the game open up when you get what’s normally literally the first upgrade the same as it does with the ice beam/gravity suit.

The full game of Dread actually does that a few times, giving you the poor man's version of a mobility upgrade and later on getting the full version that supercedes it, and it works so well as to make you wonder why they never did that before. (though a few cases where it feels like I got the full version like five minutes after the first one)

Cleretic posted:

It might be that those characters are using obviously old guns that you couldn't connect to a modern pistol, while Vincent used very clearly modern guns.

I remember that was how Batman: TAS got away with gun violence by using a 1920s aesthetic and stuff like tommy guns. Since the fear was glorifying present-day gun violence and making kids think their dad's gun was a toy, they got the okay for using guns that are so obviously not the stuff you see on the news.

See also all those 90s cartoons where everyone inexplicably has lasers even when it doesn't make sense, but rocket launchers are okay. BTAS just took the opposite tack and got away with it since not many kids are going to find a tommy gun with a drum mag in their parents' nightstand.

Also probably doesn't help that Kingdom Hearts is a big franchise clusterfuck and probably got different people handling PotC and Tarzan and the Squeenix original content.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

IIRC, the rule was that any Disney character who didn't originally have weapons couldn't be given one. Like, Mulan and Hercules had swords in their movies, but Goofy had to make due with a shield.

The dude in Tarzan had a gun in the film, so he could have a gun in-game.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Agents are GO! posted:

Like, Mulan and Hercules had swords in their movies, but Goofy had to make due with a shield.

Giving him a hockey stick would have been wildly OP, I suppose

(To say nothing of MISTER WHEELER, MOTORIST)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

IIRC, the rule was that any Disney character who didn't originally have weapons couldn't be given one. Like, Mulan and Hercules had swords in their movies, but Goofy had to make due with a shield.

The dude in Tarzan had a gun in the film, so he could have a gun in-game.

Yeah but why does goofy only have a shield

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Yeah but why does goofy only have a shield

Because they knew giving him a fishing rod would make the game way too easy?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Donald Duck is canonically the most powerful mortal mage in the Final Fantasy canon.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Is that why he dies every five minutes?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I didn't say most durable.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Glass canard.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Glass canard.

:hmmyes:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
real talk i would be afraid of donald duck the man doesn't need a firearm he's already got two

https://i.imgur.com/triTRsG.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/n5YPeGk.mp4

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

CJacobs posted:

This. Gaming translation as a job is fascinating to learn about, has been ever since Jeremy Blaustein opened up about the fun/difficulties working with Kojima's writing team, or the RE and Silent Hill voice actors speaking about their time in the studio with JP-speaking-only voice directors.
It wasn't that exciting. Game translation in general isn't really a thrill a minute, at least in my experience; the worst thing that happened might have been the project manager for Dark Cloud 2 divvying up translation work by character instead of by game section or some other logical way. I would translate, say, for Villain, while someone else was doing Hero, and neither one of us was privy to the other person's work. You had to translate the surrounding lines in your head and then translate your lines accordingly. I'd see

quote:

Hero: [You know about my mother?]
and go with

quote:

Villain: So what if I do?
But in reality, the Hero translator went in another direction, because they mentally translated the Villain line another way, maybe as "Wouldn't you like to know?" Both versions are valid, but clearly reliant on context. Just before it got touched up (sloppily) for release, that same exchange looked this:

quote:

Hero: What do you know about my mother?

Villain: So what if I do?
The project manager, by the way, was Jeremy Blaustein. I worked for him pretty constantly for a few years in the early Aughts.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

It wasn't that exciting. Game translation in general isn't really a thrill a minute, at least in my experience; the worst thing that happened might have been the project manager for Dark Cloud 2 divvying up translation work by character instead of by game section or some other logical way. I would translate, say, for Villain, while someone else was doing Hero, and neither one of us was privy to the other person's work. You had to translate the surrounding lines in your head and then translate your lines accordingly. I'd see

and go with

But in reality, the Hero translator went in another direction, because they mentally translated the Villain line another way, maybe as "Wouldn't you like to know?" Both versions are valid, but clearly reliant on context. Just before it got touched up (sloppily) for release, that same exchange looked this:

The project manager, by the way, was Jeremy Blaustein. I worked for him pretty constantly for a few years in the early Aughts.

that explains a lot

EDIT:

actually do you know anything that went into the 'colossus mode' conversation because for like five years after playing the game the inanity of that conversation was an injoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk4STD8cyUA&t=1720s

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I may have posted this before, but then I'll post it again:

when you finally beat Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms Baldur's Gate, amazing high fantasy adventures with incredibly atmospheric sound design, and the credits start rolling, and this track starts playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlvxKEP38ds

It's literally the same as if after beating Fallout 3 you'd be treated to "Tunnel Snakes Rule!"

e: I mean it rules.