Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Angry Lobster posted:

I deal with troop numbers in 40k like orks do, just swap any number with 'lots' or 'lots and lots'.

also add at least 1 to 2 zeros to any big battle numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Jerkface posted:

titans fucken own

I love that the in-universe answer to the entirely reasonable question of why anyone would build something that's so huge and therefore a juicy target for naval bombardment is that titans :rock: can shoot back :rock:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If someone brought titans, they also probably brought enough fleet to have orbital superiority.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I really enjoy the portrayal of Titans as operating like submarines/ships. Seems to have been fleshed out by Abnett, naturally, and since he did Titanicus everyone else seems to use it as a style guide to writing about Titan operations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've always enjoyed how Titans have a mind of their own that's built out of the machine spirit of the machine and all the residual impulses of the various pilots that have been plugged into it, it gives them a real character asides from "really really big robots"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It'd be interesting to get an Eldar's perspective on it. I suspec they'd be horrified with the idea that Titans are humanity's equivalent of aspect warriors.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

eldar: this wraithlord is one of us, piloted by the soul of a warrior poet, it can talk to his family and honors us all

titans: *bwaaaaaaaaaaam!!* my brain is 50% psychopaths kill kill kill alpha strike that walking puppet

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Aspect warriors are pretty much that, via wilful dissociation. If they don't manage to pull back then they get stuck in the armour and their soul stone is added to it when they die. That's how you get Exarchs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jerkface posted:

eldar: this wraithlord is one of us, piloted by the soul of a warrior poet, it can talk to his family and honors us all

titans: *bwaaaaaaaaaaam!!* my brain is 50% psychopaths kill kill kill alpha strike that walking puppet

warhound titans are just big puppies

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

FoulWeatherFriend posted:

Toby Longworth is good and all but James MacPherson did such a phenomenal job on Salvation's Reach I can't imagine Toby Longworth doing the series justice in comparison. It's definately going to throw you for a loop when you get to it.

I guess I'm just kinda dreading the break in immersion/continuity from having a different narrator voice the Ghosts. After seven books in the series being narrated by the same guy, I feel like I'm so dug in on Longworth's version of the Ghosts.

To be honest, I might just default to reading through the ebooks for the audiobook-gap and then finish the audiobook series with the other narrators. By the time Longworth has closed the gap in like 2 years, I may as well just revisit the entire audiobook series again.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Aspect warriors are pretty much that, via wilful dissociation. If they don't manage to pull back then they get stuck in the armour and their soul stone is added to it when they die. That's how you get Exarchs.

I've always wondered how Exarchs poop if they're stuck in their armour all the time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Z the IVth posted:

I've always wondered how Exarchs poop if they're stuck in their armour all the time.

lil buttflap like cartoon pyjamas

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Z the IVth posted:

They're like Mandalorians. As long as the helmet stays on they're okay.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The exarchs focus very hard and squeeze really hard and it makes a spirit stone.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Z the IVth posted:

Same principle as the Stillsuits from Dune

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Z the IVth posted:

Space Elves canonically poop crystals so there's not much issue with soiling. Just connect the butt to a small chute so it looks like someone won a crappy prize at a slot machine.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

NihilCredo posted:

Space Elves canonically poop crystals so there's not much issue with soiling. Just connect the butt to a small chute so it looks like someone won a crappy prize at a slot machine.

Where do you think they get Shuriken catapult animation from?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That makes a disturbing amount of sense :stare:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4e7ibdS7xU

This is what I imagine an eversor assassin is like.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
:hmmyes:

With that song and everything.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Why is that old man wearing heels? No forget it, best not to delve too deeply into the mind of Kojima. That'll bring the Inquisition, right quick

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Jerkface posted:

If memory serves, the "not an AI, we swear" that is a titan machine spirit was derived from a long extinct grizzly bear. I think that was in the really old Adeptus Titanicus book.

So crew notwithstanding, what directs a titan is generations of violent religious extremists that have stewed for thousands of years in essence of Kodiak.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Moreau posted:

Why is that old man wearing heels? No forget it, best not to delve too deeply into the mind of Kojima. That'll bring the Inquisition, right quick

its not an old man. he is just a very very white/Caucasian dude who was a child soldier in Libera for whos commander was a clone who became the president and then did a 9/11 when he took over a cleaning rig/giant robot after he was forced out. then he turns into a cyborg man with cum blood and later murders fights a proto trump texan senator on top of a giant spider robot in pakistan.

and people say 40k is weird.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 7, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4e7ibdS7xU

This is what I imagine an eversor assassin is like.

Arquinsiel posted:

:hmmyes:

With that song and everything.

Just missing the Revengeance hacking and slashing with body parts and viscera flying everywhere.

There's one short story or a segment I heard a youtuber read where an Eversor is activated by an Inquisitor and they hack and slash through an entire waagh of orks to blow up the head of gargant. Not even missing a leg and an arm hinders them much along the way.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its not an old man. he is just a very very white/Caucasian dude who was a child soldier in Libera for whos commander was a clone who became the president and then did a 9/11 when he took over a cleaning rig/giant robot after he was forced out. then he turns into a cyborg man with cum blood and later murders fights a proto trump texan senator on top of a giant spider robot in pakistan.

and people say 40k is weird.

60% of the people I know would vote Armstrong.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Get the whole story!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaLiLRVeaZA

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Finished Krieg. i overall liked it and a bunch of the various implications.

hows the book of martyrs?

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

MariusLecter posted:

Just missing the Revengeance hacking and slashing with body parts and viscera flying everywhere.

There's one short story or a segment I heard a youtuber read where an Eversor is activated by an Inquisitor and they hack and slash through an entire waagh of orks to blow up the head of gargant. Not even missing a leg and an arm hinders them much along the way.

Isn’t that from the GoT crossover fanfic?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rugikiki posted:

Nah it doesn't appear to have vivid descriptions of people stuffing themselves with food and fat dudes having awkward sex with incest victims.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Nah it doesn't appear to have vivid descriptions of people stuffing themselves with food and fat dudes having awkward sex with incest victims.

sorta to extend this topic, i am kinda happy Warhammer 40k/fantasy mostly avoids that kinda poo poo. like there is implied horrific sexual poo poo but its rarely even implied not to mention explicitly stated. i think the deamonculbla is the worst thing in that kind of area which is bad but its more gross and super hosed up then just GRRMS(and i like grrm)/outlanders "and then she was graphically raped again".

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Rugikiki posted:

Yes. Which is surprisingly well written.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorta to extend this topic, i am kinda happy Warhammer 40k/fantasy mostly avoids that kinda poo poo. like there is implied horrific sexual poo poo but its rarely even implied not to mention explicitly stated. i think the deamonculbla is the worst thing in that kind of area which is bad but its more gross and super hosed up then just GRRMS(and i like grrm)/outlanders "and then she was graphically raped again".

It's a nice break from how much other sci-fi and fantasy has awkward sex scenes

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorta to extend this topic, i am kinda happy Warhammer 40k/fantasy mostly avoids that kinda poo poo. like there is implied horrific sexual poo poo but its rarely even implied not to mention explicitly stated. i think the deamonculbla is the worst thing in that kinda area.

I totally agree. I'm not sure whether it's a order from up on GW or just the writers all agreed to not do weird sexual violence in any explicit detail, but thank god. Honestly, with how messed up poo poo is in M42 (Robot's efforts notwithstanding) you really don't need any detail. It also makes it easier to listen to audiobooks in the car, when dropping the kids at and from school, when you don't have to worry about...man the Custodes really are Companions...good for them (or the Adeptus Soritas for that matter), but I kind of want to find out more about the Demon Incursion in the Palace and less about oiling each other up. Relationships in 40K seem to follow a very Chang Cheh/John Woo heroic bloodshed or brotherhood quality vs romantic relationships. It's fairly asexual in a way.

Like I never want to read about a Slaneesh or Dark Eldar orgy in any...ANY detail.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's a nice break from how much other sci-fi and fantasy has awkward sex scenes

:same:

Worse is when they're clearly self inserting themselves (no pun intended)...and it's some dude like GRRM, and you get stuck with that imagery in your head.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The number of classic sci-fi novels where a weird old man character has sex with a much younger woman in entirely too much detail is unfortunate

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rugikiki posted:

OPAONI posted:

Yes. Which is surprisingly well written.

It was definitely memorable, like the Eversor segment.

RULES OF NATURE

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really have to say I love the terrorist attack on Ultramar in Dark Imperium. It’s an interesting look at domestic life and handling of a bio weapon on the planet and there is a clear care of preservation of life and even rehabilitation.

It’s a good way to balance grimdark with some hope (yeah I know it’s 40K, but honestly The whole advancing of the story in eight and now nine is finally got me into it. The whole stagnation part was fine at a time, it’s just I kind of hate that the game had a permanent pause button on the story for the longest time.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That reminds me that Dead Sky Black Sun was published in 2004 and I still remember vividly how much of a giant dumpster fire of a book it is.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the magic of a book series that in actual fact sells nearly entirely to adult nerd-rear end men who can afford the 100£ figurines but imagines itself as selling to teenagers

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

That reminds me that Dead Sky Black Sun was published in 2004 and I still remember vividly how much of a giant dumpster fire of a book it is.

Never read it? How bad?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I totally agree. I'm not sure whether it's a order from up on GW or just the writers all agreed to not do weird sexual violence in any explicit detail, but thank god. Honestly, with how messed up poo poo is in M42 (Robot's efforts notwithstanding) you really don't need any detail. It also makes it easier to listen to audiobooks in the car, when dropping the kids at and from school, when you don't have to worry about...man the Custodes really are Companions...good for them (or the Adeptus Soritas for that matter), but I kind of want to find out more about the Demon Incursion in the Palace and less about oiling each other up. Relationships in 40K seem to follow a very Chang Cheh/John Woo heroic bloodshed or brotherhood quality vs romantic relationships. It's fairly asexual in a way.

Like I never want to read about a Slaneesh or Dark Eldar orgy in any...ANY detail.

:same:

Worse is when they're clearly self inserting themselves (no pun intended)...and it's some dude like GRRM, and you get stuck with that imagery in your head.

Yeah, like sex exists in 40k, it’s just happens off screen/fade to black style. One of the reasons I like 40k is most of the really really hosed up stuff is left to your imagination rather then everything being demoncula level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The only instance of sexual violence I can think of in 40K is the Night Lords trilogy with the navigator. And it’s all offscreen and implied.