Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The Bee posted:

But are these more or less canon than Kars on Mars?
Jorge Joestar is the only canon thing in the franchise, everything else is just a spinoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Funniest Valentine

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My brain always wants to pronounce Jorge Joestar as Horhay Hoestar

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Same.

Also, that reminds me of one of my favorite Author's Notes:

quote:

Apparently, in Italy, they don't use the letter J, except in foreign or obsolete words, so, the name "JoJo" doesn't exist, and would be pronounced something like "yoyo," so for Part 5, starting on Page 71, I stayed faithful to the Italian language and made the main character's name "GioGio."
As a side note, it seems they don't have an "H" sound either, so "Hirohiko" would become "Iroiko." Like, what? Who is that?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Stand User: Yonny Yoestar

Stand: The Yanitors

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Stand User: Yonny Yoestar

Stand: The Yanitors

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

I pronounce it with a long i. Yorge Yoestar

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

YggdrasilTM posted:

Canon is a meaningless construct of the mind. A completely western one too.

are you familiar with dragon ball gt

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Canon is a meaningless construct of the mind. A completely western one too.

The idea that people generally respect works created by the original creator the most and only really pay attention to that being a "western creation" is a hosed up dumbass thing to say.

Most people don't Make A Canon, that doesn't mean that they think everything is equally viable all at once.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

mdct posted:

The idea that people generally respect works created by the original creator the most and only really pay attention to that being a "western creation" is a hosed up dumbass thing to say.

Most people don't Make A Canon, that doesn't mean that they think everything is equally viable all at once.

And then there's Fate/...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I don't see how that's a "hosed up dumbass thing to say" considering the entire idea of canon comes from the idea of biblical canon. The idea has spread since then but the idea of canon is still both meaningless and western in origin.

If you've got sources that say otherwise I'm interested.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I don't see how that's a "hosed up dumbass thing to say" considering the entire idea of canon comes from the idea of biblical canon. The idea has spread since then but the idea of canon is still both meaningless and western in origin.

If you've got sources that say otherwise I'm interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Buddhist_canon

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Beyond religion: there's the heavily delineated Japanese franchises (eg: Gundam) where different works are or are not canon to different continuities in the exact same way that certain Star Wars and Star Trek novels are or are not considered canon. There are shows like Dragon Ball GT and the first Full Metal Alchemist anime which are considered to be noncanon to the primary continuity.

There's also comiket and doujinshi and the like where the entire conceit is that they're not produced by the legitimate owners of the franchise -- which is to say that they're not canon works.

If you'd prefer a definition of canon in the sense of literary canon, then there's a good four hundred years of Chinese literature during which the Chinese literati have debated the merit of different works in the exact same sense that modern colleges argue which works deserve to be a part of the "American Canon" or "English Canon."

You need to engineer an extremely precise and eclectic definition for "canon" for the concept to not plainly apply to the Eastern world.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 7, 2022

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I feel like we're treading dangerously close to orientalism here.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

Beyond religion: there's the heavily delineated Japanese franchises (eg: Gundam) where different works are or are not canon to different continuities in the exact same way that certain Star Wars and Star Trek novels are or are not considered canon. There are shows like Dragon Ball GT and the first Full Metal Alchemist anime which are considered to be noncanon to the primary continuity.

There's also comiket and doujinshi and the like where the entire conceit is that they're not produced by the legitimate owners of the franchise -- which is to say that they're not canon works.

If you'd prefer a definition of canon in the sense of literary canon, then there's a good four hundred years of Chinese literature during which the Chinese literati have debated the merit of different works in the exact same sense that modern colleges argue which works deserve to be a part of the "American Canon" or "English Canon."

You need to engineer an extremely precise and eclectic definition for "canon" for the concept to not plainly apply to the Eastern world.

huh, well, okay

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Funniest Valentine

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

nice youtube thumbnail

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
ty I sourced it directly from google image search and carefully resized and recolored it in photopea, it's what funny would have wanted

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
On the subject of fan works, my favorite non-canon fan comic is the one about what if Dio succeeded in his original plan of using the stone mask on Jonathan. You can tell that they thought a fair amount about how differently the situation would play out while also showing how things would still end up bringing together the cast of Phantom Blood one way or another. It's told from Dio's, Jonathan's, Speedwagon's, and Baron Zeppeli's views of the same central events leading up to the Joestar mansion burning down and it's just all around a good comic worth a read if you are interested in some more Phantom Blood stuff.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 'Till we Eternally Rest
https://mangadex.org/title/b513ebdf-7c18-49d1-b537-bec9a3b7498a

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thanks for linking that, I'm really enjoying this and it's really well done!

This was a great call-forward:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gundam is religion actually

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Schwarzwald posted:

Extremely good post that fully explains it

The most ridiculous thing about the statement of "the idea of canon was invented in the western world" is entirely based off that, yes, the word is based on the term as it's applied to religion, but it has absolutely 120% expanded outward from that origin and to insist that it has not is absurd.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Canon of Canon

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

On the subject of fan works, my favorite non-canon fan comic is the one about what if Dio succeeded in his original plan of using the stone mask on Jonathan. You can tell that they thought a fair amount about how differently the situation would play out while also showing how things would still end up bringing together the cast of Phantom Blood one way or another. It's told from Dio's, Jonathan's, Speedwagon's, and Baron Zeppeli's views of the same central events leading up to the Joestar mansion burning down and it's just all around a good comic worth a read if you are interested in some more Phantom Blood stuff.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 'Till we Eternally Rest
https://mangadex.org/title/b513ebdf-7c18-49d1-b537-bec9a3b7498a

This was very good, thank you for sharing.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

and then the pillar men successfully took over the world with no one to stand in their way

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

and then the pillar men successfully took over the world with no one to stand in their way

Without Dio around, Dire and Straights would have lived and teamed up with Baron Zeppeli to raise their families and keep the Pillar Men in check, and it's entirely likely that this universe could lead to the most powerful pillar man being Santana since he would have been over in Mexico.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FirstAidKite posted:

Without Dio around, Dire and Straights would have lived and teamed up with Baron Zeppeli to raise their families and keep the Pillar Men in check, and it's entirely likely that this universe could lead to the most powerful pillar man being Santana since he would have been over in Mexico.

If they discover Santana first and he dies before anyone learns about the Piller Men in Rome then the stage is set for a very different and very hilarious Part 5

I have no idea what happens to the Part 3 Stand users without Dio around, most of them probably end up working for Diavolo

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 8, 2022

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Without Dio there is no diavalo, kira, or pucci.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Without Dio there is no diavalo, kira, or pucci.

Diavolo would still exist and still get his stand and run the mafia. He'd still have the arrow (I forget if he sold them to Enya, if he bought one from Enya, or if they both got them from the same supplier) so Italy would still be silly with stand users.

Kira would still get his stand from the arrow his dad got from Enya. Keicho wouldn't have the motive to experiment with the arrow since his father wouldn't have been exposed to the flesh bud so Angelo probably would remain imprisoned and thought to be the only serial killer in town.

Pucci would still get involved with all the poo poo related to Weather so chances are Weather would for real die to the KKK lynching squad and Pucci would still have his foot deformity. Pucci would still gently caress poo poo up trying to justify his actions to himself but he wouldn't have access to a stand or any of Dio's info.

Spoiling my fanfiction hypotheticals ftw lol

zetamind2000 posted:

I have no idea what happens to the Part 3 Stand users without Dio around, most of them probably end up working for Diavolo

A good amount of part 3 users were born with stands or were mercenaries. In a way, it'd be entirely possible that the group would still form somehow. You've got Polnareff on a revenge mission and seeking out J. Geil, Avdol is already in Egypt, Kakyoin is visiting Egypt with his family, and Jotaro and Joseph wouldn't exist. Iggy and Avdol likely wouldn't have met so he's left in America being king of the dogs. Everyone else naturally ends up around Egypt, Enya has definitely been to Egypt, so J. Geil has also probably been to Egypt, so a trio of Avdol, Kakyoin, and Polnareff could find themselves dealing with a bunch of mercenaries Enya paid off to protect her son/avenge her son.

e: and that's ignoring if Jonathan merged with Dio to bring him back to life. If that happened, they could end up in an inverse of how Dio and Jonathan are merged in part 3 so Jonathan's stand would be the main one with Dio's time stop as a small tertiary thing. Maybe.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 8, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Pucci probably wouldn't go nuts without DIO to gently caress up his head with gravity talk.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

[Gravity] is fake because Giorno didn't show up in Florida :colbert:

This is a joke

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

hatty posted:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Manga Thread - have no clue what was going on with the piss

The power of my Stand, [R. Kelly]!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

There's someone out there with a Stand named [GARY GLITTER] wishing the arrow had just killed them instead.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

people name their stands op

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

There's someone out there with a Stand named [GARY GLITTER] wishing the arrow had just killed them instead.

This is just Alessi again.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

Spice Girl named herself and technically Avdol named Star Platinum :colbert:

EDIT: Also not sure if Notorious B.I.G. and Cheap Trick were named by their users considering their nature.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 10, 2022

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

jotaro named crazy diamond

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Granted, that part wasn't shown in the anime, so Josuke just suddenly starts calling it Crazy D out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.