Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I would also say that generally these companies like Arrow that are in the physical media business have learned that people want something true to what the film is. So you're not likely to have a situation where Henry's essential grimy qualities are destroyed. If it's handled properly the way the majority of UHD releases are these days, they'll be able to accentuate those things while maintaining the overall feel of what the film is intended to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m interested in what 12 Monkeys will be like. Doesn’t matter though, day 1 for me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Three Eureka titles have gone OOP

They are:
Silent Running
Death in the Garden

Also, Birth of a Nation, but gently caress this racist piece of poo poo. DW Griffith's grave should be considered a public toilet, the racist trashfucker.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Watched dead heat A+++ movie

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Faces of Death is one movie that really benefits from being a third generation VHS copy watched on an 18" CRT in your friend's cool uncle's basement.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
How is it that none of the boutique labels have done a release of Timecrimes with English subtitles?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
In Not Very Good Movies But You'll Buy Them News, Severin is having a half-off sale on a few titles right now. I'm snagging a few because it's been like two whole months since I threw down $50-80 on blu-rays I might never get around to watching.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

In Not Very Good Movies But You'll Buy Them News, Severin is having a half-off sale on a few titles right now. I'm snagging a few because it's been like two whole months since I threw down $50-80 on blu-rays I might never get around to watching.

The Milligan box set is on the list, so if you’ve been waiting to pick it up now‘s the time!

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Andy Milligan movies are art and that set that Severin put out is absolutely amazing. I highly recommend it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
drat, I really wanted the Quinqui Collection but by the time I was able to do it, it’s out of stock.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

drat, I really wanted the Quinqui Collection but by the time I was able to do it, it’s out of stock.

I don't know that the movies they're selling at a discount are going out of print, I think they're just items they only had a few left of and are trying to sell them rather than bothering to move them to a new warehouse. Like, even if the item is "limited to 5000 copies", they don't have all 5000 of them printed at once.

But yeah, you won't be able to get the Quinqui Collection until they get new stock of it at their new warehouse.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Quinqui would be the perfect name for a drag queen.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Dune steelbook is sold out & listing at double the MSRP and I want to die.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Dune steelbook is sold out & listing at double the MSRP and I want to die.

sounds about right for Steelbooks.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

ahahah, I need to get in on the whole steelbook grift. I'm more of a Arrow Video sturdy cardboard box with a poster and book kinda guy.

CPL593H posted:

Quinqui would be the perfect name for a drag queen.
I don't do drag, but I definitely have a name picked out if I ever do and it's Jacqueline Off.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 1, 2022

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I'm sure they'll release Dune part 1 and 2 in a steelbook set :)

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Just decided to get the Quinqui Collection from Amazon since they had it for $28. $8 more but I’d rather just get it now.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
VS is putting out drop dead fred

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
gently caress yeah. I miss Rik Mayall :(

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meanwhile, The Young Ones still isn't on Blu-ray.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can't see that changing, except for maybe some exterior shots it would've been shot on video tape for the most part. A decent SD master is about the best you can really hope for.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Never say never, we're getting SoV low budget horror on bluray after all!

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Hitchhikers Guide had a Blu ray release two years ago(?) So it's a possibility although that transfer is horrid iirc

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

VS is putting out drop dead fred

That movie is a graveyard of wasted potential. It's not good.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Drop Dead Fred isn't very good but the How Did This Get Made episode on it is pretty amazing. Just lots of angry shouting and disagreements.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Homeybeef posted:

Drop Dead Fred isn't very good but the How Did This Get Made episode on it is pretty amazing. Just lots of angry shouting and disagreements.

Team Fred all the way

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I periodically check in to see if Brainstorm ever got a 4k release and a) no, b) whoever made this cover needs be brought up on charges

For comparison the first home video release was this:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

xarph posted:

whoever made this cover needs be brought up on charges

Don't make me get out the Near Dark blu-ray cover.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

CPL593H posted:

That movie is a graveyard of wasted potential. It's not good.

Nah it rules

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It’s wild how good Dead Heat looks in 4K. The makeup effects look so good even on UHD.

https://twitter.com/thatsgoodweb/status/1489396796501729282?s=21

dorium fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 4, 2022

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Tired: DVD tattoos
Wired: HD-DVD tattoos

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Some new stuff was added to the blu ray.com release calendar recently. The Man That Shot Liberty Valance UHD, In The Heat of the Night UHD, 12 Monkeys UHD, Singin in the Rain UHD, the first two Leone Dollars trilogy films on UHD, and The Untouchables UHD.

Also, for those like myself who have accepted the fact that the rights to Hammer horror films will always be a mess and so we're never getting a comprehensive box set, the underrated Hammer gem Night Creatures is getting a collectors edition blu ray from Shout Factory in April.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like how when it comes to Vinegar Syndrome, the question is can we put it on UHD, instead of should we put it on UHD

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I like how when it comes to Vinegar Syndrome, the question is can we put it on UHD, instead of should we put it on UHD

If the question is "Should we put Dead Heat and Tammy and the T-Rex on UHD?", then the answer is unquestionably "YES!".

In Cool Library News, the other day I stumbled across a library in our library network that had a copy of a fairly recent B-movie director's collection from Arrow, He Came From the Swamp: The William Grefe Collection. Picked out Jaws of Death at random today, it was actually pretty good. The obvious comparison would be to Jaws, but it's more like Rolling Thunder with sharks. Looking forward to checking out a few more movies from the collection over the weekend.

Support your local library!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got my Dead Heat and New York Ninja UHDs. Haven’t had time to watch them yet though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Sniped the last copy of Dead Heat on 4K at the Vinegar Syndrome popup store all :blastu:

But I'm dipping into Volume 3 of Forgotten Gialli first. I heard it was the best but didn't investigate further and I was delighted to find out it's the horror box.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

How should I handle a no show order from Hong Kong Rescue?

I placed it back at the end of May 2021 and I sent one follow up email back in November. I know it’s a one man OP so I don’t want to do a chargeback but I just want my movies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Over the weekend we watched Anatomy of a Murder fr the Columbia Classics Volume 2 box.

What a great movie. I do have to say that even in 2022 it feels very subversive, and I can't imagine how hard it was to get that script past the censors back then. I also now know where the chicken lawyer in Futurama comes from.

It looks fantastic, and I'm now thinking that UHD is the ultimate format black and white films.

Unfortunately, the box set itself is starting to fall apart.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've still gotta see that. Jimmy Stewart rocked.

Say, on ol' Italian spaghetti movies etc, what language track do you use? And is it known if any notable actors didn't end up up providing their own voice on the track, including the Italian actors in Italian? One example is I'm pretty sure it's not Udo Kier in the Suspiria English dub, but that track is a must for Jessica Harper.

For me I tend to go with the English track if the main stars are English speaking, so I've mostly watched English tracks. But at the moment I'm dipping into more spaghetti Westerns, and it's getting more confusing.

The Mercenary stars Franco Nero, so I figure he provides his voice on the Italian track, is that right? Would be nutty if they got somebody else. I assume it's not him on the English track. Though that movie has Jack Palance too. Which track do you prefer?

If a movie has Lee Van Cleef, I'm going with the English track. There aren't any movies he starred in where they had somebody else dub him in English instead did they?

Plus some movies have a hybrid track, where it's mostly English but with some scenes in Italian, for an uncut movie.

For stuff like Companeros, I guess Italian would be better? I'm not sure which language tracks Tomas Milian is on, wiki suggests he has done both languages at times.

Bonus question, Mondo's The Good the Bad and the Ugly is 4 minutes shorter than the US extended, and I've glazed over reading a few articles. Anybody have a preferred version of that movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

I've still gotta see that. Jimmy Stewart rocked.

Say, on ol' Italian spaghetti movies etc, what language track do you use? And is it known if any notable actors didn't end up up providing their own voice on the track, including the Italian actors in Italian? One example is I'm pretty sure it's not Udo Kier in the Suspiria English dub, but that track is a must for Jessica Harper.

For me I tend to go with the English track if the main stars are English speaking, so I've mostly watched English tracks. But at the moment I'm dipping into more spaghetti Westerns, and it's getting more confusing.

The Mercenary stars Franco Nero, so I figure he provides his voice on the Italian track, is that right? Would be nutty if they got somebody else. I assume it's not him on the English track. Though that movie has Jack Palance too. Which track do you prefer?

If a movie has Lee Van Cleef, I'm going with the English track. There aren't any movies he starred in where they had somebody else dub him in English instead did they?

Plus some movies have a hybrid track, where it's mostly English but with some scenes in Italian, for an uncut movie.

For stuff like Companeros, I guess Italian would be better? I'm not sure which language tracks Tomas Milian is on, wiki suggests he has done both languages at times.

Bonus question, Mondo's The Good the Bad and the Ugly is 4 minutes shorter than the US extended, and I've glazed over reading a few articles. Anybody have a preferred version of that movie?

Most Italian movies are weird about dialogue because for a long time they filmed without sound and dubbed everything in later. A lot of Italian movies with international stars would have everyone reading their lines in their native languages as a result.

I have not seen Suspiria with the Italian language track, but it’s entirely possible that Udo Kier was dubbed by someone else in that one as well.