Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I wonder why we didn’t get a twindemic with delta. I wonder what it means that Omi incorporated like 90% of the changes that “let’s simulate COVID mutating in the worst possible way” analysis, like maybe it won’t ping pong back and forth or mutate further.

I guess I don’t need to wonder because we’ll find out, forget, and then find out again, in like 6 months when we all have mild Alzheimer’s from Pi or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mycomancy posted:

I'm trying to form hypotheses that exclude someone out-and-out falsifying data, as that is a really difficult thing to deduce. Let's go from first principles:

Fact: Omicron BA.2 is one of, if not THE, most infectious airborne pathogen known to man

Fact: COVID-19 can kill and maim those it infects, with unknown long-term ramifications

Fact: losing a large amount of population, whether through death or disability, will trigger issues with employment and thus the ability of Capital to persist

We morons here in C-SPAM can knit these observations together from the last two years.

Supposition: removing the minimal NPI measures will cause COVID cases to skyrocket

Not an observation, but a solid likelihood given what we know about BA.2 and other airborne contagions like measles and TB. So how can we square this supposition with the facts listed above?

Hypothesis: world leaders have information we don't regarding likelihood of death and disability for the population, including which pre-existing conditions and genetic loci determine the outcome of infection, and have concluded that this amount of illness and death is acceptable in the short term.

TL;DR:
We ded

they dont have a long term plan

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Zodium posted:

yeah, one of the most interesting things about omicron has been how it laid bare the raw incompetence at every level when the autopilot can't navigate around the problem.

The blame and responsibility has been so thoroughly diffused by earlier inaction and perception management I doubt anyone actually made a good faith effort to do something

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

No one in this thread is saying the vaccine is bad or that you shouldn't get it.

What they are saying is it's loving ludicrous to assume it will always offer the same protection from severe disease in future when we already have witnessed waning protection 3-6 months out from the last dos and a partial immune escape varient.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Why can’t we just wait for vaccines to be approved for little kids before ripping off every last protection we had (even if the bare minimum)? Why can’t we at least wait until these joke therapies like Pfizer’s pill or the only monoclonal antibody therapy we have are widely available? Oh right, midterms are coming up and democrats are gonna get shellacked. We’ll I’m not voting for anyone who supports this and opening everything up so good luck!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mycomancy posted:

This isn't terribly true. We have had data float through the thread that 1) vaccines wear off and 2) in some cases vaccinated make up a sizeable proportion (40-60%) of reported deaths. Also, this doesn't take into account long COVID effects.

Beached Whale posted:

I don't really disagree with you that vaccinations can wear off in terms of effectiveness and that long covid is still very much an issue ignored by most OPEN ER UP libs but they do seem to be effective at preventing literal death unless this data is cooked in some way which I will admit is completely possible.

You're both correct, but mycomancy is talking about the numbers of vaxxed/unvaxxed deaths and BW is talking about the rates of vaxxed/unvaxxed deaths. Unvaxxed people are still dying at a much much higher rate but because they're only a small percentage of the population the numbers in the two groups shake out to be approximately the same.

Also note that the Our World In Data graph that BW posted doesn't include deaths of partially vaccinated people so there's a huge chunk of data missing from it
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/united-states-rates-of-covid-19-deaths-by-vaccination-status?country=~All+ages

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

mycomancy posted:

Hard disagree.

I think they have a model that accurately predicts how likely a given person is to be adversely affected by COVID infection. They've scaled that model to the population, and they're comparing it to a model that outlines how bad it will take to produce revolutionary outcomes. They've tweaked and geeked things to keep conditions within those bounds. At this point in time, they've successfully vaccinated enough people and they've desensitized the world to death sufficiently to drop the NPI requirements.

They know what they're doing. They planned it. They want the outcome we're diving towards.

this is all just cope wrt not accepting that the people who run the world are all dumber than dog poo poo

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
GMA had some segment on Ideal Diet and legumes were a smaller category than meat???

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rutibex posted:

the idology of capitalism prevents anyone capable of getting to the top from making a plan longer than 6 months. anyone who tries to make a plan that's 5 years or longer immediately becomes a Marxist when they examine the scope of what needs doing

It's all about maximizing the short term gains of your shareholders.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

mycomancy posted:

Hard disagree.

I think they have a model that accurately predicts how likely a given person is to be adversely affected by COVID infection. They've scaled that model to the population, and they're comparing it to a model that outlines how bad it will take to produce revolutionary outcomes. They've tweaked and geeked things to keep conditions within those bounds. At this point in time, they've successfully vaccinated enough people and they've desensitized the world to death sufficiently to drop the NPI requirements.

They know what they're doing. They planned it. They want the outcome we're diving towards.

You're seeing evidence of co-ordination as a sign that some human is running a model and other humans are acting on it. Capitalism itself is the most sophisticated coordinating entity in current liberal society, capable of aligning the efforts of people in a completely decentralized fashion. Politicians, investment funds, op-ed writers and school board executives are all responding to the needs of capital right now, but this doesn't imply any centralized coordination is taking place. Shouldn't have to point out that despite this incredible degree of responsiveness the goals of capital itself are extremely reckless, prioritizing short-term returns over any other consideration.

The pandemic has been an amazing demonstration of the resilience and sophistication of capitalism as a system. It ran circles around institutions or groups that wanted to prioritize public health over "the economy", to the extent there wasn't even a public debate in most places. This isn't an original observation, just badly adapting the thesis of "The Shock Doctrine".

It does sting to see how ineffective and irrelevant the western "left" has been over the past two years. It was completely outmatched by a more sophisticated opponent, and it wasn't even close. Doesn't bode well for the future.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

"There will also be more people making their own decisions on how they want to deal with the virus."

It's not safe to get medical care in this country lol

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Has anyone ITT gotten an on-the-books second booster yet?

I'm only three months out from my booster and I know max titers is always an option, just curious if there's going to be gatekeeping for shot No. 4.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

WHAT loving RESTRICTIONS

WHEN ASKED, "WHEN WILL RESTRICTIONS LIFT?" THE ANSWER FROM SOMEONE WHO CAN DRAW A CLOCK WITH A PENCIL AND PAPER SHOULD NATURALLY BE, "WHAT RESTRICTIONS ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

If our leaders were competent and evil they probably wouldn't be turning valuable steel and other materials into broken junk like the F35...

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm only three months out from my booster and I know max titers is always an option, just curious if there's going to be gatekeeping for shot No. 4.

Last I saw the data out of Israel showed no real benefit to a 4th booster, I do not have that study handy though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mycomancy posted:

Hard disagree.

lol no they do not have a psycho-history model of how to prevent revolutions

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Potato Salad posted:

not that it matters, if you're depending on the concept of relying on air changes without controlled contamination/clean side control to mitigate the risk of getting covid, uhhhhhhhhhhh no

nothing supplants the usefulness of not letting people into your house, masked or no, at this point lol

Agreed, I'm doing it in anticipation of emergency situations I can't control aka if I can't talk my way out of a fire alarm inspection or if there's a serious apartment emergency where maintenance needs to come. Also getting worried about open windows this spring, so figure it's good to have.

Thinking about everyone I know with a house just pissing that luxury away by having people over, it's enraging.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

goth smoking cloves posted:

If our leaders were competent and evil they probably wouldn't be turning valuable steel and other materials into broken junk like the F35...

Why? Their buddies made a ton of money on that poo poo, and I guarantee an number of those leaders got kickbacks.

Seems like a great way to make money to me. Sell the government junk, get $$$.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
There's no model that could accurately forecast deaths because all models are dependent on Reff which is only measurable post hoc.

In theory you could model transmission likelihood amongst a population (ala Covid simulator) via some monte carlo but in practice there's too many independent variables that are unknown, and of course they change with new variant.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A NEWS ARTICLE INTO THE BROWSER. ITS A LIBERAL DEMANDING LIFTING RESTRICTIONS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ROCHELLE WALENSKY. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I RIP OFF SOME SURGICAL MASKS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY RETWEET MONICA GANDHI. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY FACE-TO-FACE CLASSROOM AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE WHO ARE TIRED OF REMOTE LEARNING CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING OPEN BIDEN. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
How can anyone think the pandemic is ending? How can anyone think Omicron is the last one (even if we didn't already have another one tripling in a week's time)? I feel like screaming.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Not approved for non-immunocompromised people yet, have definitely been looking into it myself. Total madness. The admin wants a vaccine-only pandemic strategy but won't even take the actions necessary to make it work. Instead they've committed themselves to pretending the pandemic is over, so not sure I'd even count on an official 2nd booster at this point.

Also boosters still not approved for the 5-12 year old range because "there's no evidence of benefit" despite all the evidence that boosters are critically needed in adults for any hope of protection against Omicron. Additionally no vaccines approved for under 5 year olds at all, and US society is abandoning masks again. Just some additional related observations.

goth smoking cloves posted:

Last I saw the data out of Israel showed no real benefit to a 4th booster, I do not have that study handy though.

IIRC they showed the 2nd booster (4th shot) didn't lead to any higher titres or more durable protection. However the ~3 month reduction in effectiveness against Omicron isn't really in question, the additional booster apparently just "resets the clock".

Who knows, maybe with BA.2 all this talk of "effective neutralizing antibody protection symptomatic infection" is already irrelevant. Should see if there are measurements yet.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Thinking about everyone I know with a house just pissing that luxury away by having people over, it's enraging.
This! They already have what I badly want and just mess it up for stupid reasons. So enraging.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 9, 2022

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

I've never before in my life felt this much of a disconnect between what my eyes are seeing and what my ears are hearing. One minute I feel like a god drat conspiracy theorist and the other minute I feel like the world has gone crazy.

maybe it was always crazy and all Im seeing is the veil being lifted

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How can anyone think the pandemic is ending? How can anyone think Omicron is the last one (even if we didn't already have another one tripling in a week's time)? I feel like screaming.

Yeah mass infection = more new variants of concern.

It's going to be a pattern of new surge over the next few years and even longer given the amount of corruption you have in the world's political system combined with slash + burn capitalism.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Glumwheels posted:

Why can’t we just wait for vaccines to be approved for little kids before ripping off every last protection we had (even if the bare minimum)? Why can’t we at least wait until these joke therapies like Pfizer’s pill or the only monoclonal antibody therapy we have are widely available? Oh right, midterms are coming up and democrats are gonna get shellacked. We’ll I’m not voting for anyone who supports this and opening everything up so good luck!

because that portion of the population is a small % of people who would get their kids vaxxed.

my 9 year old is one of two kids in his class of 24 whose parents got him vaccinated

the powers that be no longer see the point in delaying a full return to “normality”

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

mycomancy posted:

Why? Their buddies made a ton of money on that poo poo, and I guarantee an number of those leaders got kickbacks.

Seems like a great way to make money to me. Sell the government junk, get $$$.

This is exactly what we are talking about, in the short term it makes sense to steal money this way but right now these materials are in short supply and likely worth more in the long run than the money they are being traded for.

All they know is grift

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
It took getting Long COVID after seeing Spiderman in theaters to do it, but Gene is on our side!

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1491417374465343491

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

idk seems like lifting mask mandates a few days after all the Super Bowl parties is especially reckless but I guess that's just how we do

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pigmassacre posted:

I've never before in my life felt this much of a disconnect between what my eyes are seeing and what my ears are hearing. One minute I feel like a god drat conspiracy theorist and the other minute I feel like the world has gone crazy.

maybe it was always crazy and all Im seeing is the veil being lifted

the consent manufacturing is very high right now, just tap out and do something that doesn't involve absorbing mainstream media

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

If they were competent and evil, they would be using the f35 material to make drones to force everyone into work.

Instead the entire government and business sector is an endless well of fail children giving each other reach a rounds.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nocturtle posted:

You're seeing evidence of co-ordination as a sign that some human is running a model and other humans are acting on it.

They undoubtedly had a bunch of healthcare economists run up some models which proved that they had a lot of leeway not to act on anything and just keep stalling for time until the virus went away on its own and they went ":hmmyes: Yep that's the one"

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the fantasy here is that there is ultimately still someone in charge. i don't doubt that they are engaged in the same fantasy - but it's fantasy. the bull is out of the pen. no one is in charge but the bull.

a horse is loose in the hospital

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

Rutibex posted:

the consent manufacturing is very high right now, just tap out and do something that doesn't involve absorbing mainstream media

Yeah, you're right. There's really nothing to gain from mainlining news right now

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Agreed, I'm doing it in anticipation of emergency situations I can't control aka if I can't talk my way out of a fire alarm inspection or if there's a serious apartment emergency where maintenance needs to come. Also getting worried about open windows this spring, so figure it's good to have.

If you're in a shared/communal living space and not a single family home you're already turbofucked w.r.t. air quality control. Opening the windows would be a net benefit compared to sucking down recycled communal air that has been in any number of units with no chance to disburse.

I had the surreal experience the other day of my boss worrying about me getting COVID as if I haven't been living by myself in a cottage in the rear end end of the suburbs, working from home and getting everything contactlessly delivered. I had to go for an in-person doctor's appointment today and... like... that's the most human contact I've had in recent memory.

It's weird for me now because I'm starting to think a lot of the carelessness is coming from people who have casual contact with a small group of friends and family. My hypothesis is that the attitude is essentially reinforced by these small groups people think they have control over. The problem is people are bad at math and exposure risk is exponential with number of people you contact. My boss got COVID herself, despite being an utter germaphobe, and I guarantee it is because she has family members she's in contact with on a regular basis.

"If I can get it you can get it." Yes, that is technically true, but I'm also a single person who isn't seeing ANYONE. I have no kids (huge risk), no partner, and I'm not visiting my mom. I'm in a situation where I can post a sign "put deliveries in the sun room" and never have to see another person without a door between us.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They undoubtedly had a bunch of healthcare economists run up some models which proved that they had a lot of leeway not to act on anything and just keep stalling for time until the virus went away on its own and they went ":hmmyes: Yep that's the one"

yeah I'm sure they have some models by whatever egghead tells them what they want to hear. It's yes-man not an actual model that works

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

see now this I don't doubt.

I don't doubt that they have a 'plan' and that everything is going according to it. I just think that plan is a basically a printer that once every two weeks spits out the message: "Hang tight and hope for the best! It'll all be over soon!"

It's just as much a fantasy of control on their end as it is on ours. Exerting any level of real control over this thing would involve taking actions that are not 'possible' within their understanding of things.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

It's not like this is the first pandemic ever. Eventually, all they come to an end or shrink down to something like seasonal flu.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

BoldFace posted:

It's not like this is the first pandemic ever. Eventually, all they come to an end or shrink down to something like seasonal flu.

smallpox.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zodium posted:

smallpox.

one of the experimental vaccines the navy forced on me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Everyone has given up on understanding how the material world works. Instead they make decisions by reacting to other people reactions. But now everyone is reacting to reactions of their own reactions and so on. They are uncontrollably jittering and clipping out of the environment.

This is a cult “yes and”ing themselves into mass suicide. They have to get rid of masks so they can gauge others reactions to their current bit.