Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Can't say they didn't warn you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

moist turtleneck posted:

they used ~computer models~

also lol at meat and fish being that small

if you're going to make your info graphic a plate, my loving babyback ribs need to be their own plate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A guy I work with said his dad died yesterday from "a sudden medical condition."

hmmm

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Lol fuckin hot take

Feel free to prove me wrong.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
going to be extremely funny and predictable when another insane variant hits exactly 1 month after mask mandates are lifted

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lol fuckin hot take

I think the point is that the ostensible goal used to be "make the best planes/missiles/whatever"
and that may very well have been true at one point but if it ever was it hasn't been for a very long time and now government contracts are designed and operated on with the intent of perpetuation of the contract rather than delivering something

and that part is very true

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Weltlich posted:

So I've got a reasonable supply of 3M Vflex n95's and they've become my preferred everyday mask. My only issue is that they use the cheaper style of elastic band. That lead me to wonder: is anyone out there is making a clip-on aftermarket halo for N95's? It seems like it would be fairly easy to make a comfortable strap system with wider woven fabric elastic and some alligator clips that could take the place of the thinner rubber-band style straps on 9105s and 9205s.

I tried to make a harness for the vflexes I have and the way the duck bill sits on the side of your face made it really loving difficult.

Get some 1/4" elastic material to replace the bands off of Amazon, Walmart and craft stores stock it as well. Gently pry up the staples and swap.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Can't say they didn't warn you.

good album but the only wilco one i give a poo poo about and i still don't really ever listen to it any more

so maybe not a good album except for heavy metal drummer?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

also lol at meat and fish being that small

if you're going to make your info graphic a plate, my loving babyback ribs need to be their own plate

Where does the McRib fit in terms of category?

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

Rutibex posted:

they dont have a long term plan

They certainly do not.

Covid does not permit long term planning because it's future evolution cannot be predicted.

We're looking at a pathogen which is using random mutation combined with natural selection to explore a "fitness landscape" we are utterly ignorant about.

With Covid as your major operational asset, you can't make a plan that you can confidently expect to be worth a leaping poo poo in even 6 month's time, let alone 1-2 years.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Louisgod posted:

going to be extremely funny and predictable when another insane variant hits exactly 1 month after mask mandates are lifted

There can't be another insane variant if we stop tracking and naming variants

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Lol fuckin hot take

He's right

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Kylaer posted:

If you've got money to buy a house, go ahead and buy a house. It's perfectly safe. You can do everything involved in viewing, buying, and moving while wearing a respirator. Wearing a respirator reduces your risk of contracting covid to essentially zero, even if you're right up close and personal with someone actively dying of covid (plus wear protective glasses or goggles if you want to, I suppose). Take it from someone who has been there dozens of times. Your concept of risk is completely uncoupled from reality.

Can't afford one in this region unfortunately. But yeah, I do need to get better at trusting the respirator / seal, in the process of trying to put on some weight so it sticks to my face better.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

It's actually more profitable to be a business that doesn't actually make or do anything.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A guy I work with said his dad died yesterday from "a sudden medical condition."

hmmm

People are still dying from non-COVID events though. Of course if the guy is a chud then yeah, you gotta wonder

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think the point is that the ostensible goal used to be "make the best planes/missiles/whatever"
and that may very well have been true at one point but if it ever was it hasn't been for a very long time and now government contracts are designed and operated on with the intent of perpetuation of the contract rather than delivering something

This was where I was going with it but it applies outside of government defense contracts. Ford Motor Company doesn't want to make good cars they want to make numbers on spreadsheets go up and they don't really care how they do it. They just so happen to have a bunch of car factories (who even remembers why) so those are the levers they mess around with to make the numbers jump.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

CPU Abuser posted:

They certainly do not.

Covid does not permit long term planning because it's future evolution cannot be predicted.

We're looking at a pathogen which is using random mutation combined with natural selection to explore a "fitness landscape" we are utterly ignorant about.

With Covid as your major operational asset, you can't make a plan that you can confidently expect to be worth a leaping poo poo in even 6 month's time, let alone 1-2 years.

I disagree, it would be fairly simple to make long term plans based on what we know about COVID. COVID might evolve to be more or less infectious, or to impact different organs, and so on. But the way to mitigate it remains the same. If someone wants to do long term planning about how to deal with COVID it would be very doable. We just refuse to do so.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Louisgod posted:

They'll use it to say "see, the mandates didn't work."

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

Glumwheels posted:

Why can’t we just wait for vaccines to be approved for little kids before ripping off every last protection we had (even if the bare minimum)?

Because the politicians running the show are so terminally loving stupid they think they can order evolution around.

The way Fauci tried to do just yesterday.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

etalian posted:

Where does the McRib fit in terms of category?

McRibs are actually just used gym mats

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Who could have possibly imagined that this might happen?

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1491432794844975111?s=20&t=AIHEIHr90FfR5OO0cVo3UQ

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

We've been living in a new gilded age for 30ish years, why is everyone surprised that the wood underneath the shiny metal is rotting?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yep, this was the same thing at Boeing too. Thinking about my loser coworker / former classmate who was actually happy when health insurance got worse one year - "the savings are good for shareholder value, which is good for The Boeing Company, which is good for us all." Lol get hosed.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CPU Abuser posted:

Because the politicians running the show are so terminally loving stupid they think they can order evolution around.

The way Fauci tried to do just yesterday.

Fauci hosed up the AIDS pandemic response and he's continuing his perfect consistent track record this time around!

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

Thoguh posted:

I disagree, it would be fairly simple to make long term plans based on what we know about COVID. COVID might evolve to be more or less infectious, or to impact different organs, and so on. But the way to mitigate it remains the same. If someone wants to do long term planning about how to deal with COVID it would be very doable. We just refuse to do so.

That assumes that the planners didn't do everything in their power to strip away public resort to the "mitigations" you just mentioned.

The way ours are.

Since the only certain mitigations, right now, are the specifically NPI mitigations.

Vaccines and monoclonal antibodies only do a decent job if the virus doesn't evolve out from under them. As we're seeing Omicron do right now.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Thoguh posted:

sounds.... dystopian

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

long-boomer remover

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Kylaer posted:

If you've got money to buy a house, go ahead and buy a house. It's perfectly safe. You can do everything involved in viewing, buying, and moving while wearing a respirator. Wearing a respirator reduces your risk of contracting covid to essentially zero, even if you're right up close and personal with someone actively dying of covid (plus wear protective glasses or goggles if you want to, I suppose). Take it from someone who has been there dozens of times. Your concept of risk is completely uncoupled from reality.

This is the main problem I can see. House prices around NYC are going way up and don't see it getting better. The rats are fleeing the ship, and what's worse is I'm one of the pokier rats! Some maladjusted part of me hopes the current drive for normalcy pushes prices back down a bit, so the reactionary homeowner mindset is already setting in.

You're right about the respirator, exposure isn't a serious problem for house buying. However you might consider a lot of people in the public haven't been trained for proper respirator usage. Expecting normal people to get a reliable seal every time for the rest of their lives when there's little margin for error isn't realistic, and given that the risk isn't essentially zero.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

etalian posted:

Fauci hosed up the AIDS pandemic response and he's continuing his perfect consistent track record this time around!

You say "hosed up" as if the AIDS response wasn't exactly as designed.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CPU Abuser posted:

That assumes that the planners didn't do everything in their power to strip away public resort to the "mitigations" you just mentioned.

The way ours are.

Since the only certain mitigations, right now, are the specifically NPI mitigations.

Vaccines and monoclonal antibodies only do a decent job if the virus doesn't evolve out from under them. As we're seeing Omicron do right now.

also even with chud approved treatment like antibodies the death spike was still big during each previous surge.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

our office just dropped mask requirements lol

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

McRibs are actually just used gym mats

There's very little meat in those gym mats

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Warmachine posted:

If you're in a shared/communal living space and not a single family home you're already turbofucked w.r.t. air quality control. Opening the windows would be a net benefit compared to sucking down recycled communal air that has been in any number of units with no chance to disburse.

I'm on the bottom floor in a very small condo (three floors, 15 units total), I think my air filters are MERV 12 or 13, not sure. each unit has it's own condenser, and an HVAC closet with the a/c, furnace and water heater, and soffits in the ceiling. I don't think there's any "connection" between units for this.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 9, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

where the tweet with "guess we're finally getting herd immunity" for the fourth time

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

etalian posted:

And he's doing so at a level of intellectual arrogance that's stunning.

Nearly unimaginable, even if it were on display in someone with even a layman's grasp of what's been happening these last couple of years.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Warmachine posted:

You say "hosed up" as if the AIDS response wasn't exactly as designed.

COVID is killing the right people according to the powers that be.

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

BoldFace posted:

It's not like this is the first pandemic ever. Eventually, all they come to an end or shrink down to something like seasonal flu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD_iA7imAPs

there's no rule that says we'll make it

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

triple sulk posted:

good album but the only wilco one i give a poo poo about and i still don't really ever listen to it any more

so maybe not a good album except for heavy metal drummer?

I still love the whole thing but I'm really disappointed in them, Jeff Tweedy never seemed to be the "hold a superspreading event during a pandemic" type. I will never understand how concerts are a thing right now. It's indefensible.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CPU Abuser posted:

And he's doing so at a level of intellectual arrogance that's stunning.

Nearly unimaginable, even if it were on display in someone with even a layman's grasp of what's been happening these last couple of years.

That Fauci takedown article was great for how he continues to pitch the delusion that "Believe the Science" can somehow be separated from political spin and outright lying.

Similar how Dems are getting risk of mask mandates despite all their claims about believing "The Science" and watching the Colbert Show each night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

goth smoking cloves posted:

It's actually more profitable to be a business that doesn't actually make or do anything.

correct

if you have 50 million dollars (or whatever), using it to build a factory that manufactures widgets has a really poor ROI

instead, you plow it into the stock market and chase returns as an investor

if you actually already own the factory, continuing to run it and maybe even improving the process and management, and expanding your manufacturing capacity, again, has a really poor ROI

instead, you sell it to an investor that wants to buy off the name-brand from you

if tomorrow they shutter the factory after loading up your firm with toxic debt from some other holding the investor had? not your loving problem, you've already taken the money (and plowed it into the stock market, chasing after bigger returns)