Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh yeah this trailer is out too it’s very dumb but maybe fun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9ebeNKkc08

I mean that's 100% something I'm going to watch with my kids and have fun with it.

Gettin' some Last Starfighter and Zathura vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BonoMan posted:

I mean that's 100% something I'm going to watch with my kids and have fun with it.

Gettin' some Last Starfighter and Zathura vibes.

My exact thoughts, on all of that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looks good IMO

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

feedmyleg posted:

I think that sort of long-term thinking can only exist when the creator is involved with an IP and has a personal stake in its artistic and critical success. In the studio system turnover is too high and every executive is more worried about hitting yearly earnings projections than the legacy of a franchise. The execs who greenlight a movie are often no longer around by the time a sequel is greenlit, and you end up with a copy of a copy of a copy years down the line. You need to have someone there saying "If we want these things to have staying power for years to come, they actually have to be good."

Lucasfilm has a braintrust which is attempting to do it, but they lack a singular and strong vision. Spielberg remains loosely attached to the JW movies so he can get a check and rattle off a few ideas here and there. Hell, look at what happened to Disney animation after Walt's death, let alone what happened with Mickey.

I wonder if franchise and IP-based filmmaking will see any kind of decline in our lifetimes. Probably not, but boy would it be nice to get a New Hollywood kind of renaissance at some point once every big release is a Marvel movie. TV is holding the line as well as can be, I suppose.

The thing about Star Wars specifically is that we don’t even know how successful it is now, at least in a monetary sense. The franchise has been demoted to “tv” only, and ratings/views do not equal box office (as Warner Bros. learned last year and Peacock is learning right now). Disney is most likely afraid to release a Star War theatrically because of the diminishing returns of Solo and The Rise in Skywalker.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Hey Netflix: People know who Ryan Reynolds is. You can just say Ryan Reynolds.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Zero One posted:

Hey Netflix: People know who Ryan Reynolds is. You can just say Ryan Reynolds.

Hey, hey, they're also letting you know that the director of Night at the Museum and The Pink Panther reboot is involved.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I don't think people would even need to hunt dinosaurs to exterminate them, at least larger ones. Any proximity to human civilization would not leave them with enough habitat to survive along with stuff like vehicle collisions and other ways to indifferently kill them off. As such, I expect this movie to be an extended dream sequence to account for this preposterous scenario

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I will just say Sam Neill looks really good, and so does Laura Dern

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lizards in the snow

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

achillesforever6 posted:

I will just say Sam Neill looks really good, and so does Laura Dern

Laura looking good at 55, Sam Neill being incredibly spry at 74.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

joe football posted:

I don't think people would even need to hunt dinosaurs to exterminate them, at least larger ones. Any proximity to human civilization would not leave them with enough habitat to survive along with stuff like vehicle collisions and other ways to indifferently kill them off. As such, I expect this movie to be an extended dream sequence to account for this preposterous scenario

If the feral hogs can survive then dinosaurs could thrive.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Vintersorg posted:

Are the kids back too?

I have never turned on a character quicker than Jurassic World when the older kid sees baby dinosaurs running around right in front of him and acts like it's the dumbest thing ever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Haha , totally forgot about that.

More so talking about the kids from JP1. And maybe the Gyllenhal clone - hell just get Jake in this.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

lizards in the snow

That is what we are
No one in between
How can we be wrong?
Sail away with me
To another world
And we rely on each other, ah ha
From one lover to another, ah ha

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

bobjr posted:

I have never turned on a character quicker than Jurassic World when the older kid sees baby dinosaurs running around right in front of him and acts like it's the dumbest thing ever.

That’s pretty accurate to being a bored annoyed teen. Plus from the story, Dino’s are old poo poo at that point. Not sure when they reopened JW, but people were bored enough that they were upping the ante by making the irex

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

That is what we are
No one in between
How can we be wrong?
Sail away with me
To another world
And we rely on each other, ah ha
From one lover to another, ah ha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKupOsaJmk

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I finally actually watched the JW trailer and welp. See you all there at Dinosaur Adventure Times.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

That’s pretty accurate to being a bored annoyed teen. Plus from the story, Dino’s are old poo poo at that point. Not sure when they reopened JW, but people were bored enough that they were upping the ante by making the irex

As stupid as the second movie was I never bought that conceit in the first.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They mention that interest has dropped a tiny amount like 2 or 3 percent, so I’m almost wondering if that was intentional that a company would freak out over a minor drop instead of constant growth.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

kiimo posted:

I finally actually watched the JW trailer and welp. See you all there at Dinosaur Adventure Times.

"We spared no expense"

*Finn and Jake come smashing out of a paddock*

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

As stupid as the second movie was I never bought that conceit in the first.

JW has some interesting things on its mind, it just chooses the worst possible targets for its ire. Like a lot of media created by aging hacks, it decides that rather than the cynical untalented corporate careerists desperate for relevance, it's the youth who are the problem! Making the entire thematic foundation that ~kids are on their phones too much~ is Dilbert-level social commentary.

Had the film made it so that the kids still saw the dinosaurs with awe and wonder, but the board of directors were the ones bored by dinosaurs—then it would start to get interesting. Then their decision to create goofy-looking genetic monstrosities that are totally missing the point of why people like dinosaurs in the first place makes sense and feels like its tapping into something real. Make them akin to a tech company creating a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, out of touch with reality and consumer desires. Turn the social commentary toward the greed and ego and arrogance like JP did. Make cynicism itself the target.

But that would have taken too much self-awareness on CT's part, because then thematically he'd be the villain. Instead he sees himself as the brilliant hero trying to save the franchise from the moronic general public who only craves empty flash and spectacle. But he's trying to make fun of lovely corporate blockbusters while making a lovely corporate blockbuster. Thematically every moment of JW is just a "gently caress you" to the audience instead of the "gently caress you" to the studio it could have been if he truly knew how to be subversive.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 11, 2022

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I gotta say I enjoyed JW2 more than 1 just cause it was so fuckin stupid.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

bows1 posted:

I gotta say I enjoyed JW2 more than 1 just cause it was so fuckin stupid.

I still can’t decide if the dinosaur playing dead and literally winking to the audience to trick the hunter is the stupidest thing in a bad or good way

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

bobjr posted:

I still can’t decide if the dinosaur playing dead and literally winking to the audience to trick the hunter is the stupidest thing in a bad or good way

its a good thing

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bows1 posted:

its a good thing

Exactly. In a movie like that, embrace the insanity and take what you can get.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Very obvious that JW originally had a twist where the designer dinosaur had human DNA. They should have leaned into that kinda stupid.

I did laugh at the new trailer when it looked like the villain was "dinosaurs had feathers".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Green Knight got hosed over too. The Oscars, more than ever, are loving pointless. gently caress em.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

dunc gotta do the fury road sweep

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Fury Road should have been Best Picture

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, too

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

absolutely

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

I see nothing incorrect in this post.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've said it before and I'll say it again

An Academy voter who was wasted and a douche told me that they only watched the dubbed version of CTHD and said he throws away anything subtitled

Gladiator was a good movie but had 25% of the depth of Crouching Tiger

yes i'm still mad

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
But are you not entertained?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

kiimo posted:

There's a lot to criticise the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for, and "the wrong drat movie won" is just one of them.

Their nomination rules are bullshit since they put an extraordinary focus on films released during a roughly 3-month run.

It took them 93 loving tries to nominate more than one woman for Best Director, and until then, you could literally count the number of women who the crusty old pale male stale fogeys would deign to nominate in their magnanimity with one hand. But hey, now that they did a bit of that diversity, I guess the nominations are back to being a loving sausage-fest. How about increasing the number of nominees for best director, if you're too obsessed with men to be able to find parity between the genders?

Do The Right Thing getting snubbed. For Driving Miss Daisy. gently caress off.

The utter bullshit of the 74th Academy Awards, where they snub Mulholland Drive and Memento for Best Picture. gently caress off.

Crash beating other nominated films with LGBT content because the voters were clearly a bunch of pale male stale dickheads scared of their own erections, so they go for the movie about "racism is bad" that is also infuriatingly racist. As an actual yellow person, gently caress that loving movie. Yeah, solly solly we yerrows am sneaky olientals. gently caress off, Paul Haggis. I can't even imagine how someone who is Middle Eastern might have felt about that movie, considering the way they were portrayed wasn't much better.

"Best Picture" has often ignored actual excellence in film genres. Where was Hereditary in its year? Or Paddington 2?

kiimo posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again

An Academy voter who was wasted and a douche told me that they only watched the dubbed version of CTHD and said he throws away anything subtitled

Academy voters should be made to attend screenings of all nominated films, under supervision, and given a test about the content and themes & ideas of the film, and struck off the voter register if they fail.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 12, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The Insider losing to American Beauty still chaps my rear end

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The Academy Awards have always been dumb and meritless, but they're also a good excuse to get drunk and talk poo poo with your friends. So who's to say if they're good?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BonoMan posted:

The Insider losing to American Beauty still chaps my rear end

The year The Matrix, Eyes Wide Shut, Fight Club, and Being John Malkovich came out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

edogawa rando posted:

"Best Picture" has often ignored actual excellence in film genres. Where was Hereditary in its year? Or Paddington 2?

This is 10000% true but it’s also really funny that people are using this point to say that Spider-Man NWH should be nominated for BP as if just being popular should be enough.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

DC Murderverse posted:

This is 10000% true but it’s also really funny that people are using this point to say that Spider-Man NWH should be nominated for BP as if just being popular should be enough.

I dunno, I could kind of see the logic in the most popular movie of the year being included by default. There’s 10 spots for best picture, having one of them each year given to the biggest film as a hat tip to their popularity won’t break things.

It’s not like the highest grossing films each year are all Paul Blart Mall Cop, they’re usually *at worst* competently made genre flicks. I’d argue that even the worst MCU films have as much artistic merit as loving Crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Academy Awards this year feel even more unnecessary than any I can remember but maybe that's just me still not really leaving my house. I've only seen two of the nominated movies this year and I work in the industry.