Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

We do have a habit here of liking older, worse things.

I think the original FFVII is much better than the remake, so I'm no exception to that.

FFVII is still a good game.

I don't think even its fans say the translation is better than FFVIIR, though. We just think that the overall story or characters were maybe more compelling in certain ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean there's a couple more differences from VII to VIIR than a new translation. Not sure it's quite comparable to whichever FFT release you like more.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As someone who adores FF7 to death, FF7R is so much easier on the script front good lord.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Cid in FF6 should have turned into magicite that teaches Haste and Slow if he died. If he lived, he should have become a status effect on Celes that sometimes blocks attacks, like Interceptor.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Every time i see this nonsensical take I have to reread it to make sure somebody is actually saying that one accidentally good line at an awful incoherent translation makes it a better pick than something actually enjoyable to read.

The wotl version isnt enjoyable to read hth

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

CPColin posted:

Cid in FF6 should have turned into magicite that teaches Haste and Slow if he died. If he lived, he should have become a status effect on Celes that sometimes blocks attacks, like Interceptor.

Cid gets a prion disease from one of the bad fish you feed him and attacks monsters in battle while barking at them like Interceptor.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
6A has a nice balance between keeping the iconic lines of the original translation and actually being accurate.

Why not have the same for FFT?

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I think the WotL translation is absolutely the superior translation, it's understandable, well-written, and has a definite tone and style that 100% works for me.

A few good lines from the original can't compare to that.

And honestly "'Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I." is a pretty baller line too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

mandatory lesbian posted:

The wotl version isnt enjoyable to read hth

It was to people who aren't nostalgic for utter nonsense.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I can understand not liking WotL's archaicness but I still don't see how that makes 'The people of Ivalice had little money' good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The fun thing is all the memorable lines from the original FFT translation are from the first chapter because that after that the game becomes completely loving illegible and there's nothing worthwhile or good.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

It was to people who aren't nostalgic for utter nonsense.

Cry more bitch

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

The fun thing is all the memorable lines from the original FFT translation are from the first chapter because that after that the game becomes completely loving illegible and there's nothing worthwhile or good.

Defeat Dycedarg's Elder Brother is pretty memorable.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I haven't played WOTL, but the original PSX localization for FFT was absolute garbage. There were some funny lines, but the actual nuts and bolts of the translation was completely incapable of conveying the actual plot of the game and I had no loving clue what was going on by the end of the game other than that I'd just killed God, or a demon pretending to be God, or something by the end of the final boss. It was a hot mess and the sooner we stop giggling over "Blame yourself or God" and "Surrender or die in obscurity" the better. FF7's localization was bad too, but its plot was comparatively simpler and easier to understand, at least for me, so it came across better.

Game was fun to play though. I love games with class systems and character builds.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I do not want to believe this. But if the Pixel Remaster of FF6 blocks Sabin from Suplexing a train from a patch then im gonna be very upset.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Katamari Democracy posted:

I do not want to believe this. But if the Pixel Remaster of FF6 blocks Sabin from Suplexing a train from a patch then im gonna be very upset.

Why would they?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

ImpAtom posted:

Why would they?

Honestly the last time I played this game was back in the SNES days. And even I knew that game was a little buggy. For some reason I have this little thing in the back of my head saying Squarenix might fix bugs in it that made the game for me back in those days.

Ill still buy, love, and play the poo poo out of the game. My little group on goon discord has all pitched in on what names I wanted everyone to be:

E- Kinda want Umaro to be Harambe

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 11, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hellioning posted:

I can understand not liking WotL's archaicness but I still don't see how that makes 'The people of Ivalice had little money' good.

L
I
T
T
L
E

M
O
N
E
Y

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Katamari Democracy posted:

Honestly the last time I played this game was back in the SNES days. And even I knew that game was a little buggy. For some reason I have this little thing in the back of my head saying Squarenix might fix bugs in it that made the game for me back in those days.

I don't think suplexing the train was a bug.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Was there actually a limit on what could be suplexed?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's a flag enemies can have that determines whether they are immune to (among other things) Suplex, and it's set on most bosses but not Phantom Train. It may have been an oversight.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Bongo Bill posted:

There's a flag enemies can have that determines whether they are immune to (among other things) Suplex, and it's set on most bosses but not Phantom Train. It may have been an oversight.

Thats what I am scared of

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Not being able to suplex Kefka should be considered a crime

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure you'll still be able to suplex the train but what I want most is for all the stats to work properly. I want all the mechanical bugs from the original to be fixed so that the game works as intended. There are some pieces of gear that are totally worthless because of bugged stats and I want to be able to use that stuff.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm pretty sure you'll still be able to suplex the train but what I want most is for all the stats to work properly. I want all the mechanical bugs from the original to be fixed so that the game works as intended. There are some pieces of gear that are totally worthless because of bugged stats and I want to be able to use that stuff.

These were all fixed in the GBA version, unless there were some I didn't know about, so odds are good.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ImpAtom posted:

"You know what he did to me, you *know*" vs "You know the... thing he did to me, you know of this" between translations. It isn't really obscured in either case.

Which grim realism or whatever but Final Fantasy really didn't need the rape of a 13 year old in it.

I want to believe it was a purposeful decision to show how Malak was willfully turning a blind eye to how much of a complete bastard Barinten was. Without him doing something horrible to Rafa specifically, Malak could easily have internally justified everything Barinten did as "Well, they were probably up to something shady anyway" and he would have the "But he saved us from death and he's always treated us well, so he's clearly a good person!" excuse too. With Rafa being molested, it's much more clear that he's an irredeemable rear end in a top hat because Malak sees that he doesn't even treat them well, but he ignores it because he feels like he has to.

Not saying it's justified though and it could have absolutely been just generic abuse, it didn't have to be rape.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Was there actually a limit on what could be suplexed?

Nut Eaters cannot be suplexed. Those cute little squirrel things that hide in the ground. The Ultimania says it's because Sabin is scared of them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imho they should keep all the bugs including the Super Famicom exclusive one that turned the Drill into the best piece of defensive equipment in the series’ history.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not being able to suplex Kefka should be considered a crime
You can suplex yourself.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFT's original translation was rough but WotL's freshman theater club writing was tiresome. PSX version had better one-liners too.

if you don’t like theater club bullshit why are you even playing an ivalice game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They've done bug fix runs on other versions of FF6 and they've never changed the suplex thing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They did remove FF1's peninsula of power.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I got a cheevo for suplexing the train

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They did remove FF1's peninsula of power.

And a few other things that we didn't even know were bugs until they fixed them, because FFI is a mess both in terms of bugs and baseline mechanics so we never blinked at them.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You're telling me the Intelligence stat isn't for show?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Gaius Marius posted:

I got a cheevo for suplexing the train

Thats good to know

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

As long as I can pump Sabin's mag stat and turn him into a muscle wizard I'm ok.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was pretty surprised by how gory those corpses looked too. Like “oh poo poo they didn’t get attacked with a sword and a 45 popped up, those dudes got gored to poo poo”

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

jokes posted:

I was pretty surprised by how gory those corpses looked too. Like “oh poo poo they didn’t get attacked with a sword and a 45 popped up, those dudes got gored to poo poo”

The scene where Alma's in a cell and the injured guard stumbles in to free her before bleeding out, while Hashmal is audibly mangling everyone offscreen, was one of my favorite as a kid for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I hope they fix the evade bug but leave suplex phantom train and wind god Gau.