Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Death By The Blues posted:

again it will be very funny if this minor/major civil unrest explodes in America because of Canada. I also think its good/cool that thousands of them are dying or getting disabled a day, less of them to deal with whenever collapse happens lol.

The Canada thing is pretty openly a trial run so I fully expect it to come to the US soon since it's working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

not_superiority posted:

what's a good programming language to learn if i end up getting bullied out of my job?

Python is currently paying my bills and is fairly easy to learn. You can also try Javascript, but that is a poo poo bog of chasing the FOTM framework and will destroy your sanity.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thoguh posted:

The Canada thing is pretty openly a trial run so I fully expect it to come to the US soon since it's working.

It's similar to how many of the COV19 conspiracy theories originally came from the US but ended up being picked up by other alt right groups all over the globe.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
New York Times: Redditors with an editor

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Yea that bridge shutting down stunt is a signal that it works and its funny that they came to Toronto and got run out of town. Toronto can be a deeply unpleasant and cold place, people here are uh rude to put it in one word, so its not shocking.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Python is currently paying my bills and is fairly easy to learn. You can also try Javascript, but that is a poo poo bog of chasing the FOTM framework and will destroy your sanity.

i got some basic python with my gis certification, it shouldn't be too hard to pick back up and expand on. then build a portfolio i guess?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

etalian posted:

Yeah let's get rid of a low cost effective NPI in the name of "realistic health policy"

The COV19 virus with its R0 of 8 doesn't give a gently caress about "realistic and balanced health" policy

Most importantly... wearing a mask isn't hard. It isn't a punishment. It's easy to do and isn't a big deal.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
vile purveyers of bullshit, poisoners of the well of human knowledge, twisters of the human spirit, breakers of dreams, corroders of values

jesus goes in and jebus comes out

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
what is science's sexual preference? what is science's preferred gender? does science like giving head? science says lotss of things about lots of things but is really quiet about these things. I'm michael barbaro for the new york times

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

not_superiority posted:

i got some basic python with my gis certification, it shouldn't be too hard to pick back up and expand on. then build a portfolio i guess?

The usual trick is to try and think of some sort of thing to build, even if it's stupid, and put it on github so people can judge your ability to write code. I've never been a manager or hired anyone, though, and it's been over a decade since I was a newbie so things have likely changed.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
I don't wait for the CDC to tell ME how to think about masks. I wait for David Leonhardt, Senior writer, New York Times.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The usual trick is to try and think of some sort of thing to build, even if it's stupid, and put it on github so people can judge your ability to write code. I've never been a manager or hired anyone, though, and it's been over a decade since I was a newbie so things have likely changed.

It might not be too different, I'll find out. Thank you!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nocturtle posted:

Ahhh that's depressing. Just imagine if the CDC recommended the same level of appropriate caution wrt COVID as it does to everything else. Number wouldn't be happy so no go.

Also stop putting so much salt in everything, the CDC is right! Really like the cast iron no-knead pizza dough recipe linked previously itt but had to halve the amount of salt. Who can tolerate such salty pizza.

Number would temporarily unhappy. Sure number would be very happy in a couple of years, but we can't let number have bad times ever.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

In addition to these, if you are reasonably proficient with C#.net you will never lack for job opportunities. VS Community is free. Day 1 install VS and do a C#.net Hello World. Day 2 write a tic-tac-toe program. Day 3 profit.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

not_superiority posted:

python is fine. it's ubiquitous and, most importantly, there is a lot of learning material out there for it.

do some learning and then look for open source projects to make small contributions to.

and don't forget to take a look at the allied development roles, e.g. QA, technical writing, etc., if you have any skills that might be right for those. they can pay your bills well, too.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Insanite posted:

and don't forget to take a look at the allied development roles, e.g. QA, technical writing, etc., if you have any skills that might be right for those. they can pay your bills well, too.

that might be the only thing that would keep me at my job if said mask bullying were to start. I'm the best documentation writer in the building lol

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nocturtle posted:

Ahhh that's depressing. Just imagine if the CDC recommended the same level of appropriate caution wrt COVID as it does to everything else. Number wouldn't be happy so no go.

Also stop putting so much salt in everything, the CDC is right! Really like the cast iron no-knead pizza dough recipe linked previously itt but had to halve the amount of salt. Who can tolerate such salty pizza.

what I’ve done is have oatmeal and fresh fruit for lunch and omit the added salt for the oatmeal effectively removing about 1000mg of sodium from what garbage I used to eat for lunch at work all the time, this has allowed me to more or less not worry too much about how much sodium is in my breakfast or dinner.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Thoguh posted:

Summer of 2020 it was the left's turn to riot, 2022 is going to be the right's turn to riot. Fortunately, the police appear to have learned all about 'hands off, community policing' in that time and are going to be respecting their first amendment rights.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oh also, re: programming chat, a good IDE will help you out so, so much. I recommend the JetBrains IDEs in particular. They're free for personal use and variants exist for Python, C#, and most other languages. Most of the time I write code, I'm less generating original thoughts and solving problems myself as I am making all the red squiggles go away.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's especially dumb when they avoid the "big pharma" vaccines and instead rely on hydroxychloroquine or ivermectin or benadryl (+ milk) etc etc etc

Posting on SA all these years and getting yelled at when I posted dumb poo poo genuinely helped me avoid "reddit brain"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

covid still over today?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

covid still over today?

been over for months

not that i can tell because i still haven't left my home

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oh also, re: programming chat, a good IDE will help you out so, so much. I recommend the JetBrains IDEs in particular. They're free for personal use and variants exist for Python, C#, and most other languages. Most of the time I write code, I'm less generating original thoughts and solving problems myself as I am making all the red squiggles go away.

Python isn't a real programming language

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Warmachine posted:

Went to the convenience store in my shiny new 3M 7300 this morning, and this poo poo is like dynamite fishing for bad opinions. The cashier made a stupid "can't tell your gender" joke and all I could do was laugh and say that I was expecting to get a comment or two but she defied all expectations.

gently caress, get a half-face if you can. It's 100% worth it, not just for OSHA-levels of COVID protection, but for instantly highlighting the people with bad opinions.

People like mine, I'm getting genuinely curious questions and a few "oh poo poo now that's a mask!" Some people seem put off but strangers have never been nicer to me.

Someone got those printable cards about where to get elastomeric masks handy?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Who cares? poo poo pays the bills. So does Docker and Kubernetes, even though they're idiot hellspawn technologies from Satan. Doesn't mean I won't do it for money.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Shiroc posted:

Earlier in the week I was out on a walk and looked into a window of a restaurant. Someone was sitting happily maskless waiting for their food with an Aura carefully folded on the table next to them.

Restaurants will say poo poo like “our vent hoods move 15,000 cubic feet per minute, that means the air is changed every few minutes!”

But if that were true, they never would have gotten rid of smoking sections because the air would have been changed every few minutes...

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

NeonPunk posted:

Don't think it'll be easy like that. They've been conditioned for violence and impulsive aggressive actions while everyone else hasn't really mentally prepared to retaliate or defend themselves.

I mean, how many people nowadays still thinks that the cops would protect them from any aggressors?

I was thinking about that too, because first of all, here’s where they set up in Ottawa

and secondly, people who are accustomed to real violence aren’t impulsive or aggressive because they know the stakes. I hate violence, it makes me really sad, but, I mean, I’m more familiar with it than trucking company workers or whatever. Literally the two nicest guys I know were in JTF-2 and I’ve seen them go out of their way to be nice and talk down people who got in their faces. They’re extraordinarily sweet guys, I can’t really explain it, which would make them “pussies” by chud standards right?

I don’t know, I’ve never been in a fight outside of work and I wouldn’t want to, I’ve never yelled at anyone off the clock, and that’s true for a lot of the guys I worked with especially as you start looking at Surveillance and Target Acquisition, Close Protection, CSOR JTF-X/2. The angry impulsive guys nearly always wash out on their courses and the final step for all of these is when the guys already serving decide if you’re likeable and easy to work with.

It’s entirely possible that my view of all of this is skewed, but I can’t help but feel that there’s a difference between violence as these chuds imagine it, and real violence as a profession that you have to deal with on your conscience.

I realize that for whatever reason even American special operations guys are loud, aggressive, swaggering and impulsive, so maybe that’s a cultural thing, or maybe the culture rewards them by making them visible so we only know about Chris Kyle, Eddie Gallagher, Black Rifle Coffee Company guys. If I remember both Alvin York and Audie Murphy were nice, quiet guys who hated violence, so it’s possible this is a new thing too.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tulip posted:

People like mine, I'm getting genuinely curious questions and a few "oh poo poo now that's a mask!" Some people seem put off but strangers have never been nicer to me.

Someone got those printable cards about where to get elastomeric masks handy?

I'm sure this is true. There's absolutely an aesthetic to the elastomeric masks. I'm just amused that the first person I talked to was like "hurr hurr are you a boy or a girl?" Speedrunning bigotry any%

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

sweet. gonna set that up when i get home. can't hurt to have a backup plan or second job

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Thoguh posted:

Most importantly... wearing a mask isn't hard. It isn't a punishment. It's easy to do and isn't a big deal.

No one will ever believe this because even the most liberal governors almost immediately adopted messaging that was essentially "this sucks so much, but you just have to do it for a little while longer I promise!"

No one in a position to actually drive messaging ever tried to normalize masks or take the approach that wearing them isn't a big deal.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
for some reason, i still follow this bot on twitter... a reminder of a simpler time... a time when we thought that reaching 70% vaccination would mean something lol

https://twitter.com/vax_progress/status/1492154920363077636?s=20&t=Y1rQkhevyKH2S2otdKvd3Q

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Steve Yun posted:

Drinking your pee is so four weeks ago

Okay but why do all these psuedo scientists love piss?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Why is drinking piss always this go to bullshit medicial cure? What allures these people go drink warm water full of urine? What makes them want to guzzle piss? Why do they think its medicine? I have lived my entire life and never ever wanted to touch pee. Peeing into a cup at the doctor was weird and uncomfortable.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

not_superiority posted:

sweet. gonna set that up when i get home. can't hurt to have a backup plan or second job
Regarding projects/getting re-familiarized with the language, Al Sweigart’s book Automate the Boring Stuff with Python (available for free at https://automatetheboringstuff.com because Al is a cool dude) shows you how to do all kinds of incredibly useful stuff.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

Okay but why do all these psuedo scientists love piss?

Friend, that is self evident. The real question is why don't you love piss.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Covok posted:

Why is drinking piss always this go to bullshit medicial cure? What allures these people go drink warm water full of urine? What makes them want to guzzle piss? Why do they think its medicine? I have lived my entire life and never ever wanted to touch pee. Peeing into a cup at the doctor was weird and uncomfortable.

A lot of right wing rhetoric is rife with thinly veiled horny, probably the same impulse

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Covok posted:

It's the forbidden lemonade.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Covok posted:

at some point you're going to have to get over this fear of piss and start drinking it like the rest of us

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

during an interview i used python to solve the first problem i was given, afterwards the interviewer told me to use a real programming language

(i did not get the job lmao)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bathtub Cheese posted:

A lot of right wing rhetoric is rife with thinly veiled horny, probably the same impulse

Nah, piss stuff crosses party lines. Everyone loves piss.