Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Would this be the place for a quasi-effortpost on whether or not I should take out a tree from my yard? I know it's ultimately my decision and I'm not going to do it any time soon, but I could use some outside perspective. Am definitely going to consult further with an arborist and landscape planner for what I'm wanting to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Planet X posted:

Would this be the place for a quasi-effortpost on whether or not I should take out a tree from my yard? I know it's ultimately my decision and I'm not going to do it any time soon, but I could use some outside perspective. Am definitely going to consult further with an arborist and landscape planner for what I'm wanting to do.

This or the gardening thread, for sure. What kind of tree?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Ok Comboomer posted:

This or the gardening thread, for sure. What kind of tree?

A nice, but otherwise leaning, previously neglected, but healthy Norwegian Spruce that is taking up a third of a space that could be used for other things (more plants and trees!)

Mid Maryland, FWIW.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Planet X posted:

A nice, but otherwise leaning, previously neglected, but healthy Norwegian Spruce that is taking up a third of a space that could be used for other things (more plants and trees!)

Mid Maryland, FWIW.

You should ask in the bonsai thread that nobody posts in anymore, maybe some Mid-Atlantic area goon wants to come take it out of your yard for you

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

If I wasn’t literally in the middle of moving my plant room and consolidating all of my poo poo I would’ve spent like $400 today. But this Paph hybrid was too cool to pass up.

There’s an Elizabeth Anne Bulbophyllum that I gotta come back for. And a Christensonia. And a cool vanilla hybrid. And a Dracula lotax 😬

And a Paph “Ho Chi Minh” :ussr:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

If I wasn’t literally in the middle of moving my plant room and consolidating all of my poo poo I would’ve spent like $400 today. But this Paph hybrid was too cool to pass up.

I have the opposite problem. I have room for new plants now that I've set up an office but all of the nurseries around here ain't got poo poo. Usually they're better stocked in the winter, so I wonder if it's more supply chain poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

I have the opposite problem. I have room for new plants now that I've set up an office but all of the nurseries around here ain't got poo poo. Usually they're better stocked in the winter, so I wonder if it's more supply chain poo poo.

really? The last few times I’ve been to Mahoneys post-holidays it’s been painful with how much cool stuff they have that I want, but yeah it’s not anything like spring/summer.

If you like orchids and haven’t been able to make it down to J&L yet—holy Moses what a place. I was chatting with one of the ladies that runs it and she’s like “oh are you the guy from MA that called yesterday?”

I was not (my parents live like 15 min away)— they apparently get a lot of people making special trips from around New England and picking up their online orders/etc

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Ok Comboomer posted:

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

There’s an Elizabeth Anne Bulbophyllum that I gotta come back for. And a Christensonia. And a cool vanilla hybrid. And a Dracula lotax 😬

And a Paph “Ho Chi Minh” :ussr:

Yesssss! Is that a paph hilo leopard “merry monarch” x captivatingly wood “raisin”?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you like orchids and haven’t been able to make it down to J&L yet—holy Moses what a place. I was chatting with one of the ladies that runs it and she’s like “oh are you the guy from MA that called yesterday?”

I don't really gently caress with orchids but I will probably check it out when I head down that way in the spring to visit Logee's.

There's only really two decent (indoor) nurseries within a 30 minute drive, and I've been to both within the past few weeks. One place had a buy one get one sale and had a decent selection but the few things I was interested in had significant damage. The other was half empty after getting rid of all of their poinsettias. Lots of monstera and philodendron cultivars and poo poo like that but nothing unusual—I'm not really sure what I'm looking for at the moment, but they didn't have it. I did pick up some decent looking calocasia and alocasia and some little ferns to stick in a pot and see if they'll survive my indoor (winter) humidity.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

I don't really gently caress with orchids but I will probably check it out when I head down that way in the spring to visit Logee's.

that’s my secret, Cap’

I drive more than thirty minutes

(not entirely true, most of my standbys are within 20, but still)

Having done this for a year now and gotten half of my Phals to rebloom (my giant white phal has four flower stalks! It grew like 30% this year! It’s a loving monster and I just bought a giant IKEA colander to put it in!), I really do recommend going with big showy basic-bitch inexpensive Phals to start with if it’s a “I kill every orchid I’ve met, gently caress ‘em” situation. They’re way beefier now than they were even a decade ago.

I’ve been to all the common, non-plant store places and the best by far in terms of price/variety/cool morphology and actually interesting breeds/color and flowers/etc (ie not being quite as basic and also giving you best bang for buck) is definitely Trader Joe’s.

They actually have their own supply chain for orchids and it shows. Way nicer than HD/Lowe’s for way less money. Honestly on par with Mahoneys in terms of phals, although you can’t really get other genera like Cattleyas/Oncidium/Vandaceous/intergeneric hybrids/etc.

Also some people just don’t like orchids and that’s cool too. I don’t get begonias, tbh.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also some people just don’t like orchids and that’s cool too. I don’t get begonias, tbh.

I mostly go in for foliage so they often don't appeal to me much. My mother is super into them, though. Over the last year she filled an entire bench with a bunch of phalaenopsis she got by going to every Stop and Shop within 30 miles because they had them cheap and she wanted to pick the best ones.

I'd drive longer than 30 but it seems like most of the places worth that kind of drive are 90 or more minutes which makes them inconvenient for like, sneaking out of work in the afternoon. I like just going and looking at plants now and then :shrug:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

This owns. I took partial inspiration and rescued a philo my wife was killing and it seems to like growing along the wall.

That's not a philodendron, it's a scindapsus :)

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I want to get a heat mat to help germinate some seeds, are there any recommended ones available in the UK that aren't too expensive?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Is stem rot a serious concern when propagating a monstera in water? I've seen some people online saying to only put aerial roots in the water, but that seems both logistically difficult and really uncommon based on pictures I've seen.

subpar anachronism posted:

That's not a philodendron, it's a scindapsus :)

Thanks! Updating my spreadsheet. My wife had it in a hanging basket outside last summer and I never saw the tag on it before I had to rescue it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Is stem rot a serious concern when propagating a monstera in water? I've seen some people online saying to only put aerial roots in the water, but that seems both logistically difficult and really uncommon based on pictures I've seen.

My mom has a bunch of rooted monstera cuttings that have been in water for the better part of a year now. Big ones too. As long as the water isn’t dirty you’ll probably be fine

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I was back at one of the nurseries today and it seems like they've started restocking after the post christmas lull or whatever.

Got a cute little berkin and a strelitzia they had tucked into a corner.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think I mentioned before my work has some bizarre stuff and this is as close to this begonia that my boss will let me get. “Buddy, they won’t let me gently caress it,” etc.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
We’ve been on a houseplant kick recently, mostly to make our home offices feel nicer. Turned into a bit of an arms race. On a recent nursery trip I found a green imperial philodendron tucked away in the back and had to have it. It’s so big but compact. Love my big chonky plant.

The palm used to have more fronds but it took me a while to get the right placement and watering. It’s slowly growing again.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Where can I find nice hanging planters for indoors? The home depot by me is pretty sparse

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Head Bee Guy posted:

Where can I find nice hanging planters for indoors? The home depot by me is pretty sparse

I've never seen a pot with a built in hanger that wasn't plastic or completely lacking drainage.

I mostly just use regular rear end pots with saucers for anything 7" or smaller, and pots with attached saucers for anything larger than that. There's tons of options for macrame hangers—I don't love the faux leather ones for anything with a detached saucer because they can be kind of slippy.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Head Bee Guy posted:

I posted a pic of this a page ago, but I had the same issue. Could only really get plastic garbage, no drainage, or one of these wire things with coconut liners.

So instead I just bought some nylon rope and followed the advice in this twee youtube video to hang some plastic pots I had. (It took me a lot longer than a minute.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

believe it or not, I found some (really cheap, but with nylon rope, so they end up being nicer than your avg hanging pot) at Dollar Tree last year.

Also, worth looking at Michaels/AC Moore and, obviously, garden supply stores

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Ok Comboomer posted:

believe it or not, I found some (really cheap, but with nylon rope, so they end up being nicer than your avg hanging pot) at Dollar Tree last year.

Also, worth looking at Michaels/AC Moore and, obviously, garden supply stores

Seconding this. Dollar Tree and 99 Cent Store are my go-to's this time of year for gardening supplies.They're just now getting in their seasonal shipments here in Phoenix.

I am currently using their metal hanging chains on plastic pots that I drilled a couple small holes in near the top.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I posted earlier about a decision I'm weighing to take out a spruce tree on my property.

Here's the scoop with this tree: I bought a neglected property a few years ago and I'm putting a lot into the yard. I ripped out some old yews and put in laurels, lots of activity that I could post about extensively.

This particular part of the yard has a driveway bordering it to the right. We are going to put in beds to the left and right (ref: second picture below) with small trees and perennials. As you can see, the spruce is present and takes up a fair amount of the yard. I don't have a strong desire to remove the tree, but my wife does. It provides shade to an adjacent patio area and is a nice, tall structure. However, it, much like the rest of the house, was neglected. It was never trimmed or limbed up, so it's straggly. It has 3 trunks and leans towards the street a bit. When I arrived, it had, I kid you not, a VA creeper vine probably 6-8 in in diameter growing up in the tree alongside the 3 trunks. Sapsucker birds are doing some damage to it, but not critically it seems, just making it weep sap.

Surrounding the spruce on the hill towards the street is ivy and asian honeysuckle bush. If I took it out, I'd put some arborvitae or similar for screening along the street, probably fence the whole things in so my dogs have more of a place to run, more trees. It would allow us to do much more with the space than we do currently. However, taking it out woud definitely change the character of the space significantly. Asian honeysuckle provides good screening to the street, but it doesn't have much character. It's there and it works to screen.

It is a nice spot as is, as it's a nice old tree that provides some shade for the patio that it sits nex to. It just sucks that it's probably the wrong type of tree planted in not a great spot, the tree has been neglected (but it's healthy) and leaning towards the street.

Wife's opinion, and she's not wrong, that if we took it out sooner and started some different trees and plants now, it gives them more time to grow and fill in and we'd be able to enjoy them in maturity, rather than waiting 10-20 years to inevitably take it out if it starts leaning too far towards the street.

From the second floor view:

View from our side yard:

Close up of the honesuckle bush and ivy:

Trunk:

Planet X fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 17, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Planet X posted:

I posted earlier about a decision I'm weighing to take out a spruce tree on my property.

It's hard to tell exactly without having a better sense of the space but it kind of looks like it's just taking up a corner and not really majorly cutting into your usable space. In general I'd always lean towards keeping a big old tree over replacing it, since you're looking at quite a long time (or an immense amount of money) to replace a tree that size.

That said from the photos it looks like the split in the trunks is low to the ground and the one that's leaning the most is quite thin. Is removing one (or two) of the trunks and leaving the other one a possibility? You can certainly limb up whatever you don't remove if you want more space for planting under it. Of course, if your wife loving hates the thing I'd take it out anyway if you're planning to stay there long term.

Asian honeysuckle is an awful weed here, so I'd certainly pull it out, but it may be fine wherever you are. There's also all kinds of delightful shrubs you could use for screening instead of arborvitae—even rhodies at least have flowers!

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 17, 2022

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I'm with you on the arborvitae, poo poo is everywhere and always looks scragglier than that spruce to my eye. That tree doesn't look bad to me but this is your home (your wife's) so do what makes you guys happy.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yeah maybe referencing Arborvitae was not the best thing to do, as we likely won't go with that, which is why I said "or thereabouts" (or whatever I said) - We'd like to think that the things we've put in our yard so far are somewhat unique and not bog standard plants you get everywhere. Of course, there's nothing technically wrong with that, but we have a unique property and want to landscape it as such.

Thanks for the opinions so far, more are welcome. It's a tough decision. I don't have a ton of room in that section of the yard for workspace, composting, etc so I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Not really in a rush, and am definitely going to consult with an arborist before I do anything.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Planet X posted:

Yeah maybe referencing Arborvitae was not the best thing to do, as we likely won't go with that, which is why I said "or thereabouts" (or whatever I said) - We'd like to think that the things we've put in our yard so far are somewhat unique and not bog standard plants you get everywhere. Of course, there's nothing technically wrong with that, but we have a unique property and want to landscape it as such.

Thanks for the opinions so far, more are welcome. It's a tough decision. I don't have a ton of room in that section of the yard for workspace, composting, etc so I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Not really in a rush, and am definitely going to consult with an arborist before I do anything.

Definitely talk to an arborist, but that split is pretty low and I'm a little surprised the slimmer part hasn't already snapped down in a storm. Maybe you don't get much wind, idk. I wouldn't worry about the lean, I have a taller and much older one with a little more of a lean that is more likely to live for another 30 years than just fall over. You can easily trim the bottom branches and go up 4-7' to start and see how it adapts to it. There's nothing shading it out except itself to do it for you, but it's not really going to miss them. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but there might be another fork much higher in the tree which is a little less than ideal too, so it'd be interesting to hear what the arborist says.

You have two nice looking trees on the left side of it by that path too, and they might be happier without the spruce. It's really a tough call, but I'd look into another tree (fruit, nut, flowering) for the space too, but murder that ivy and probably the honeysuckle too. You won't miss them. The ivy though, you'll be happy is gone. That'll destroy any non-metal fence you have and if you don't take care of it when you do everything else, you won't get a better opportunity. Killing the ivy will probably take getting rid of the honeysuckle, but there are so many really awesome other options that I'd expect you can find something you'll like for a longer time.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Jhet posted:

Definitely talk to an arborist, but that split is pretty low and I'm a little surprised the slimmer part hasn't already snapped down in a storm. Maybe you don't get much wind, idk. I wouldn't worry about the lean, I have a taller and much older one with a little more of a lean that is more likely to live for another 30 years than just fall over. You can easily trim the bottom branches and go up 4-7' to start and see how it adapts to it. There's nothing shading it out except itself to do it for you, but it's not really going to miss them. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but there might be another fork much higher in the tree which is a little less than ideal too, so it'd be interesting to hear what the arborist says.

You have two nice looking trees on the left side of it by that path too, and they might be happier without the spruce. It's really a tough call, but I'd look into another tree (fruit, nut, flowering) for the space too, but murder that ivy and probably the honeysuckle too. You won't miss them. The ivy though, you'll be happy is gone. That'll destroy any non-metal fence you have and if you don't take care of it when you do everything else, you won't get a better opportunity. Killing the ivy will probably take getting rid of the honeysuckle, but there are so many really awesome other options that I'd expect you can find something you'll like for a longer time.

There's definitely a third trunk up towards the top. There are two trees to the left, yes. One is a cedar, and it's unfortunate because most of the lower branches are dead on the cedar, so if I have that limbed up, which the arborist said I should (he said this back when I had the spruce's many dead branches removed), the cedar is going to look bare. The second tree to the left is a really old, beautiful Dogwood, and I'm definitely going to do everything I can to keep that one! If the spruce came out, it would definitely be replaced with a wealth of trees, shrubs and plants for sure. I'm not looking to get more yard for the sake of more grass.

If you look at the second picture I posted, I'm going to get to work this year cutting beds on either side leading to the spruce and do some cottage-y layering on either side, and maybe put in a small fountain and some galvanized raised beds.

Wallet posted:

That said from the photos it looks like the split in the trunks is low to the ground and the one that's leaning the most is quite thin. Is removing one (or two) of the trunks and leaving the other one a possibility? You can certainly limb up whatever you don't remove if you want more space for planting under it. Of course, if your wife loving hates the thing I'd take it out anyway if you're planning to stay there long term.

Asian honeysuckle is an awful weed here, so I'd certainly pull it out, but it may be fine wherever you are. There's also all kinds of delightful shrubs you could use for screening instead of arborvitae—even rhodies at least have flowers!

I don't think removing one of the trunks is going to work, as if I do, that takes out a large portion of the branches facing the street and it likely wouldn't be even. Then there's the third trunk that starts a third of the way up. The honeysuckle is coming out at some point for sure, I just have to figure out if I should just rescreen with something first, or if I should make a long term decision about the spruce and rip it all out and start with a clean slate, probably with another evergreen. That wouldn't be cheap.

Definitely going to think on it more and call an arborist to come treat the Dogwood for whatever anti fungal they do for that.

With all of this said, there are a few old trees on the other side of the property: A hemlock and another tall cedar. Those got trimmed when I moved in and seem to be doing well, so they're staying as long as possible. Some guy came by this year and collected some of the hemlock cones and used them for some restoration project and will continue to come by every year to do that, which makes me happy.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Here's what we did with the front. There was a huge stump we ground out, and a ton of weeds:

A few years and lots of hard work later:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hello a few months ago I posted here and a bamboo palm was suggested. I just got it today. I also ordered a 12" planter from peach and pebble with the rubber drainagle hole (the plant is in a 10" container). what would you suggest for watering schedule? it says I shouldn't let the soil get completely dry, so maybe weekly? the light is coming from a large, SW facing window that is 6-7 feet away. should I place it closer to the window at least initially?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wallet posted:

(sobs in envy) I would take home all the scented geraniums. Every single one.

Go ahead and kill that spruce. It's going to continue to grow, it's going to continue to shade a big chunk of your yard, and it's an unattractive specimen. Norwegian spruces can be beautiful, but that one isn't.

Put in an apple tree. Two, so they crosspollinate.

e: I like having unusual plants, too. Here are some mail-order nurseries you should know about.

https://onegreenworld.com/ All sorts of unusual and rare fruiting plants and trees, including Szechuan peppercorns, goji berries, and some American natives like thimbleberries and honeyberries.

https://www.forestfarm.com/trees-shrubs.html?product_list_limit=all Forestfarm. They carry 1247 varieties of tree, including a lot of Japanese maples.

https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/types/?type=shrub Annie's Annuals. Despite the name, they carry an enormous variety of perennials, shrubs, trees, and vines.

I have ordered from all three of these and gotten plants in great condition which throve. In my experience, if you want plants that you won't see on every other street in town, mail-order is the way to go.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 18, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(sobs in envy) I would take home all the scented geraniums. Every single one.

Go ahead and kill that spruce. It's going to continue to grow, it's going to continue to shade a big chunk of your yard, and it's an unattractive specimen. Norwegian spruces can be beautiful, but that one isn't.

Put in an apple tree. Two, so they crosspollinate.

e: I like having unusual plants, too. Here are some mail-order nurseries you should know about.

https://onegreenworld.com/ All sorts of unusual and rare fruiting plants and trees, including Szechuan peppercorns, goji berries, and some American natives like thimbleberries and honeyberries.

https://www.forestfarm.com/trees-shrubs.html?product_list_limit=all Forestfarm. They carry 1247 varieties of tree, including a lot of Japanese maples.

https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/types/?type=shrub Annie's Annuals. Despite the name, they carry an enormous variety of perennials, shrubs, trees, and vines.

I have ordered from all three of these and gotten plants in great condition which throve. In my experience, if you want plants that you won't see on every other street in town, mail-order is the way to go.

I want to jump in to not only suggest considering a combo apple tree for cross pollination, (saves room and they usually have anywhere from 3 to 5 different cultivars!) but also to say how great One Green World is. Plants always come in great condition, packed very solidly and shipped very quickly. I just wish their hardy citrus was in stock more often. My latest order from them included a Troyer citrus, a Salish Summer peach and a 4 way combo plum tree.

And drat you for telling me about Forest Farm. EDIT: lol, how can they be out of plain old acer circinatum?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 18, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

I want to jump in to not only suggest considering a combo apple tree for cross pollination, (saves room and they usually have anywhere from 3 to 5 different cultivars!) but also to say how great One Green World is. Plants always come in great condition, packed very solidly and shipped very quickly. I just wish their hardy citrus was in stock more often. My latest order from them included a Troyer citrus, a Salish Summer peach and a 4 way combo plum tree.

And drat you for telling me about Forest Farm. EDIT: lol, how can they be out of plain old acer circinatum?

I know? Keeping Forest Farm all secret. It's really good timing for me too. I have some unhappy Japanese spindle bushes that need replacing and it's been a process to find something that will grow 3' below street level and next to the stones keeping the street from pushing into my front lawn. They currently act as a way to tell people that the city is bad at height differences, and I don't know that I want to build a taller spot there yet because they're going to be re-doing the currently unplanned street. I'm sure you know the type where the city never even bothered putting in sidewalks and only has the blacktop running at a random grade down the whole block. Either way, this is very useful.

I'm also staring at the Twisted Mediterranean Myrtle that OneGreenWorld has and trying to decide on a spot for them. Though it appears that Forest Farm has a variegated variety of the Myrtus communis that might happen now instead. Some cool honeysuckle too. It's blown my planning wide open.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

actionjackson posted:

hello a few months ago I posted here and a bamboo palm was suggested. I just got it today. I also ordered a 12" planter from peach and pebble with the rubber drainagle hole (the plant is in a 10" container). what would you suggest for watering schedule? it says I shouldn't let the soil get completely dry, so maybe weekly? the light is coming from a large, SW facing window that is 6-7 feet away. should I place it closer to the window at least initially?

6-7 feet from the window may as well be in the dark. Watering needs are going to be based on a lot of factors - light, ambient temp, relative humidity, kind of pot and soil the plant is in etc that determine both water usage by the plant and evaporation. Weekly is probably fine but if you don't move it into some light it will just rot and die eventually. Also watch out for spider mites, every palm I've kept inside has gotten them. They're easy to detect, but be ready with a spray bottle of diluted soap or insecticidal soap to treat.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So I tested positive for civid Wednesday despite vaccine and boost status. Mild cold symptoms now so that's good but I was running a fever yesterday and I guess I had a break from reality and chopped up my albo monstera, lol. It was gangly and a mess and poorly planted in leca from the person who sold it to me.

I air layered the hell out of it for 2 weeks and had some good growth but no secondary roots. They all have substantial aerial roots at least. I think they'll all survive but I should have waited. Lol. If there's no rot in a week I think I'll be in the clear. Pray for me, pray for the plants.

I am taking the time at home to thoroughly clean all my plants. Wiping down leaves takes a while but it's been nice, meditative even.

I also updated the ikea cabinet (before the covod bout). Made shelves with leftover cabinet panels from our kitchen remodel. Turned out nice. There's 6 grow lights and 5 fans in this thing. Just need the weather to warm up so these cacti can go outside and the tropicals in the mail can go in.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skylined! posted:

6-7 feet from the window may as well be in the dark. Watering needs are going to be based on a lot of factors - light, ambient temp, relative humidity, kind of pot and soil the plant is in etc that determine both water usage by the plant and evaporation. Weekly is probably fine but if you don't move it into some light it will just rot and die eventually. Also watch out for spider mites, every palm I've kept inside has gotten them. They're easy to detect, but be ready with a spray bottle of diluted soap or insecticidal soap to treat.

I've gotten a lot of mixed messages on this. The slip that came with the plant said high light, but another plant place said you don't want direct light, and that medium light is fine, though they did recommend initially having it close to the window, for the first month.

for example https://www.south-florida-plant-guide.com/bamboo-palm.html

"Use in an area of the house that provides good indirect light. If the palm sits in front of a bright window with some sun, make sure the window is screened to filter the light."

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/chamaedorea-elegans/

"They need bright indirect light and low to medium humidity levels, though they can tolerate low-light conditions. Try to keep near a north- or east-facing window if possible for optimal light levels. "

the place that sold this to me said I should only do south or west facing windows, which apparently are brighter.

If I put it right next to the window it would have a lot of direct light, which these sites say is not what I want. It's very confusing.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 18, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

actionjackson posted:

I've gotten a lot of mixed messages on this. The slip that came with the plant said high light, but another plant place said you don't want direct light, and that medium light is fine, though they did recommend initially having it close to the window, for the first month.

for example https://www.south-florida-plant-guide.com/bamboo-palm.html

"Use in an area of the house that provides good indirect light. If the palm sits in front of a bright window with some sun, make sure the window is screened to filter the light."

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/chamaedorea-elegans/

"They need bright indirect light and low to medium humidity levels, though they can tolerate low-light conditions. Try to keep near a north- or east-facing window if possible for optimal light levels. "

the place that sold this to me said I should only do south or west facing windows, which apparently are brighter.

If I put it right next to the window it would have a lot of direct light, which these sites say is not what I want. It's very confusing.

Measuring light and mimicking the environment the plant was grown in is the way to go in my experience. This plant was likely grown in a greenhouse where it received 1500-2500 or more foot candles of light per day for 12-14 hours a day. Right now my west facing window is getting 1050 foot candles with my meter at 520pm. The light is filtered through a small tree but otherwise is direct late afternoon light. Like right on the window. 5 feet from the window is 122 foot candles of light. That's just enough light to keep the plant alive for a while until it inevitably rots or dries out in a few months.

Sellers tell you not to let a plant get direct light because they don't want the plant to get scorched (or they want people to think they have more spots in their homes for plants, i dunno), which is ok advice, but plants need light. Even filtered forest light is way way brighter than what you'll get a few feet from an interior window.

Here is a decent article: https://www.houseplantjournal.com/bright-indirect-light-requirements-by-plant/

skylined! fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 18, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I mean, that NC state article seems to be quite the opposite - they suggest north or east facing, which look like they get less light than south or west. the link you gave said it could tolerate no more than 1-2 hours direct (well for parlour palm, bamboo palm was not listed), and it would be very direct in front of the window, again because it's SW facing, and especially now in the winter, where you get blasted by the sun in mid-afternoon.

would it be accurate to say that, based on your link, if I do put it in front of the window when the sun is coming in, not to do it for more than 1-2 hours?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

actionjackson posted:

I mean, that NC state article seems to be quite the opposite - they suggest north or east facing, which look like they get less light than south or west. the link you gave said it could tolerate no more than 1-2 hours direct (well for parlour palm, bamboo palm was not listed), and it would be very direct in front of the window, again because it's SW facing, and especially now in the winter, where you get blasted by the sun in mid-afternoon.

would it be accurate to say that, based on your link, if I do put it in front of the window when the sun is coming in, not to do it for more than 1-2 hours?

Windowed light isn't direct light. This also gets confusing. Glass filters UVB light. At the end of the day your plant is better off getting sun right next to the window than a few feet from it. Your best bet is to let it stay near the window and check it daily.