Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
One of the best things TFS did was give us a Gohan SSJ2 scene on the level of the Japanese version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW5_7MsFLuA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

One of the best things TFS did was give us a Gohan SSJ2 scene on the level of the Japanese version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW5_7MsFLuA

Complete with an actually pretty decent English cover of Spirit Vs Spirit

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
TFS is funny, but I don't really get it when people talk about it having a great emotional impact, like just before Gohan goes SSJ2 in Abridged 16 basically tells him to stop being a big pussy.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I think more so the fact the dub sorta flubbed it a little by not letting the scene breathe. They have dub gohan have a inner monologue before he snaps. (original Funi, I do not know if Kai did it differently)

That was hella unneccesarry.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

khwarezm posted:

TFS is funny, but I don't really get it when people talk about it having a great emotional impact, like just before Gohan goes SSJ2 in Abridged 16 basically tells him to stop being a big pussy.

Abridged isnt really all that funny for me personally and is kind of cringe

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 11, 2022

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
TFS question: What did the frog occupying Ginyu's body do to get sent to hell?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lamebot posted:

Killed a child.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Abridged isnt really all that funny for me personally and is kind of cringe

It's pretty hit or miss for me, but when it hits, it's pretty hilarious. The episodes go by fast enough that the misses don't bother me too much unless I watch a few too many in a row.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Yeah some of their stuff is legit hilarious, I always liked Recoome as a pro-wrestler and basically all of their version of the first Broly movie.

I would say they started to take themselves a bit too seriously by the end though, still I think when they abridged the movies that was their best stuff because they are so intrinsically ridiculous and ripe for parody already.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
There's definitely a shift in TFS' work from parody to lighthearted fandub, but I feel like its really hard to concrerely say when that happens. Its honestly more of a spectrum than anything.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lamebot posted:

Where is he sent to hell?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The Bee posted:

There's definitely a shift in TFS' work from parody to lighthearted fandub, but I feel like its really hard to concrerely say when that happens. Its honestly more of a spectrum than anything.

i think this is my problem with abridged I think TFS is very talented at voice acting and editing but they can never commit to whether its a gagdub with cringe jokes and silly voices or a slightly more serious fandub and it clashes when it comes to scenes like Android 16's speech to gohan

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Kild posted:

Where is he sent to hell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyTzXbmDY3g

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Abridged has some funny moments, but they have the easiest time when dealing with characters that have very strong and very clear personality traits in the first place, like Vegeta, Frieza, and Recoome.

Gohan, Perfect Cell, and 16 are all pretty difficult characters to deal with, having ended up awkwardly shoehorned into the roles they needed to take to drag the story toward actually doing anything with them. Gohan going Super Saiyan 2 because Cell crushed the head of a robot that Gohan had first met maybe an hour ago is something no fandubber can save.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think this is my problem with abridged I think TFS is very talented at voice acting and editing but they can never commit to whether its a gagdub with cringe jokes and silly voices or a slightly more serious fandub and it clashes when it comes to scenes like Android 16's speech to gohan

Dragonball itself can't decide if it wants to be a wacky comedy or have genuine stakes and emotion. That is half the appeal.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

7minutes for a bussy joke...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

TFS elevated Vegeta to an art form

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I just want to know why Semi-Perfect Cell loses his wings only to regrow them in the next form.

Puberty is a bitch

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Spirit Vs Spirit sucks

Welcome to the shadow realm

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Vizuyos posted:

Abridged has some funny moments, but they have the easiest time when dealing with characters that have very strong and very clear personality traits in the first place, like Vegeta, Frieza, and Recoome.

Gohan, Perfect Cell, and 16 are all pretty difficult characters to deal with, having ended up awkwardly shoehorned into the roles they needed to take to drag the story toward actually doing anything with them. Gohan going Super Saiyan 2 because Cell crushed the head of a robot that Gohan had first met maybe an hour ago is something no fandubber can save.

To be fair, Android 16 permanently died as a result of Gohan's inaction. Granted, it's still weird, but at least it was an appropriate emotional beat for a permanent death.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, Android 16 permanently died as a result of Gohan's inaction. Granted, it's still weird, but at least it was an appropriate emotional beat for a permanent death.

I forget, did 16 speak to Gohan before his death in the actual version? And if so, how did the conversation really go down?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, Kakarot adds a conversation between the two of them that only amounts to "I don't like fighting" and he says Gohan will be the deciding factor in the outcome of the Cell Games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am okay with the idea that Gohan is negatively impacted by anyone dying in front of him because he's a genuinely kind and nice boy who cares about those things. Android 16 was the straw that broke the camel's back after he saw his friends and family being brutalized. Them not really interacting is a bit eh but I think the point is more "Gohan is a good boy who wants to study and be kind and doesn't like seeing others hurt and now Cell just murdered a nice person in front of him."

Really though you could solve a lot of things by just making Android 16 into actually Android 8 instead of Android 8*2.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 12, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I am okay with the idea that Gohan is negatively impacted by anyone dying in front of him because he's a genuinely kind and nice boy who cares about those things. Android 16 was the straw that broke the camel's back after he saw his friends and family being brutalized. Them not really interacting is a bit eh but I think the point is more "Gohan is a good boy who wants to study and be kind and doesn't like seeing others hurt and now Cell just murdered a nice person in front of him."

Really though you could solve a lot of things by just making Android 16 into actually Android 8 instead of Android 8*2.

8 was the one that looked like Frankenstein’s monster right? But yeah, as I recall he was still alive at the end of the OG Dragon Ball so you could have just brought him back somehow instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

8 was the one that looked like Frankenstein’s monster right? But yeah, as I recall he was still alive at the end of the OG Dragon Ball so you could have just brought him back somehow instead.

Yeah. He and Android 16 are basically the exact same character.

And Gohan's transformation is basically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8iBdoCrrUQ from Path to Power. (Well, vice-versa rather since Gohan predates it!)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The best fix would have been to have Trunks become a sort of mentor/older brother to Gohan in an inverse of Future Gohan and Trunks' relationship, and then Trunks getting killed be what makes Gohan go SSJ2, again mirroring Future Gohan and Trunks.

That would have at least made Trunks slightly relevant to the arc he was supposedly the centerpiece of narratively.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Larryb posted:

I forget, did 16 speak to Gohan before his death in the actual version? And if so, how did the conversation really go down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISnWtcd3-L4

Shinjobi posted:

Spirit Vs Spirit sucks
You suck

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Faulconer has one good track to his name and the rest of it is crap but I've never understood the love for spirit vs spirit.

There's really no winning for ol shinjobi in any version of that scene.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm sorry that your poor taste means you can't enjoy one of the best scenes in Dragonball.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bad music doesn't completely ruin a scene, otherwise I'd have never made it through an episode of dubbed DBZ.

I just don't think spirit vs spirit really fits the moment. The very, very tail end of it after Gohan's transformed with angry tears in his eyes, I think the song works fine at that particular moment. Everything before is just blegh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I just want to know why Semi-Perfect Cell loses his wings only to regrow them in the next form.

Something about how insect lifecycles are weird. Every insect technically has wings, but some in only specific stages/cases, like how ants only have them as young queens and drones. Could maybe look at how Semi-Perfect Cell is clearly a rough mix of features from Imperfect form and the presumed human influence from absorbing 17, and as said, basically an awkward and ugly middle stage.

I think one of the things that makes TFS Cell work so well is that his own nature is as much of a history to himself as it is to anyone else, and he's constantly curious about anything he doesn't know. It makes sense for an evolving being whose power and talent is all second-hand from others.

Larryb posted:

8 actually makes a cameo in Super as well, having survived in the Androids timeline.

Thing is about 16 is that he's basically the Terminator 2 T-800, while his predecessor Sgt Metallitron is the Terminator 1 T-800.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
His name is Full Metal Jacket, tyvm.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kurui Reiten posted:

The best fix would have been to have Trunks become a sort of mentor/older brother to Gohan in an inverse of Future Gohan and Trunks' relationship, and then Trunks getting killed be what makes Gohan go SSJ2, again mirroring Future Gohan and Trunks.

That would have at least made Trunks slightly relevant to the arc he was supposedly the centerpiece of narratively.

This seems so obvious and much better that of course Toriyama didn't think of it and made things work generally anyway.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

khwarezm posted:

This seems so obvious and much better that of course Toriyama didn't think of it and made things work generally anyway.

It also would have been way more powerful and significantly hosed up for Trunks if Zamasu posesses Gohan's body from his timeline

That would require giving Gohan things to do though

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

TulliusCicero posted:

It also would have been way more powerful and significantly hosed up for Trunks if Zamasu posesses Gohan's body from his timeline

That would require giving Gohan things to do though

Ehhh, I think that might have been going a bit too far into Trunks being destined to suffer horribly.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

Spirit Vs Spirit sucks

Welcome to the shadow realm

time to send this thread to another dimension

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

time to send this thread to another dimension

If I remember correctly it's "the Next Dimension" because the Ocean dub had a wierd thing about saying "kill or Death"

The dub of Gundam Wing is similiar. A lot "I'LL DESTROY YOU!!!!" Duo calling himself the Great Destroyer despite having loving Deathsycthe Gundam, stuff like that

khwarezm posted:

Ehhh, I think that might have been going a bit too far into Trunks being destined to suffer horribly.

It is a little odd that everybody else is in Dragonball and future Trunks is in Akira/ Berserk all the drat time in terms of tone

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 12, 2022

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A lot of children's programming in America at the time fell under a pretty strict "No saying anything about death or killing" rule so you weren't allowed to say anything that severe for televised anime which was by and large considered children's programming. However, it is worth remembering a lot of anime has dialogue where the characters just yell dialogue that can be translate as "I'll crush you!", "I'll kick your rear end!", "I'll break your spirit!", etc. I don't know much about Japanese Gundam Wing, but these things aren't always shorthand for murder as fighting series involve more spiritual/personal ways of defeating your opponent that don't just see to take their lives from them or sometimes you do just want to kick someone's rear end without directly killing them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wu Fei does not care about murder, he just wants to beat you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Baal posted:

A lot of children's programming in America at the time fell under a pretty strict "No saying anything about death or killing" rule so you weren't allowed to say anything that severe for televised anime which was by and large considered children's programming. However, it is worth remembering a lot of anime has dialogue where the characters just yell dialogue that can be translate as "I'll crush you!", "I'll kick your rear end!", "I'll break your spirit!", etc. I don't know much about Japanese Gundam Wing, but these things aren't always shorthand for murder as fighting series involve more spiritual/personal ways of defeating your opponent that don't just see to take their lives from them or sometimes you do just want to kick someone's rear end without directly killing them.

Duo in the Japanese version explicitly refers to himself as a shinigami, he's all in on the straight up death theming. Heero's most famous line is telling Relena he's going to kill her.