Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
they also weren't allowed to say "Hell" or "God" or other religious-adjacent terms

sometimes this was pretty basic, like renaming God Gundam to Burning Gundam

sometimes this was extremely awesome, like renaming HELL to Home For Infinite Losers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Burning Gundam is still pretty good, they should combine the two names

Burning God Gundam

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with making Trunk's death about Gohan is that it already is something that sparks Vegeta

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
home for infinite losers owns

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

home for infinite losers owns

Yeah that name should honestly be canon. It's too good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Burning Gundam is way cooler than God Gundam

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I always admit that I did like Shining -> Burning more than Shining -> God as an upgrade naming scheme.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Captain Baal posted:

Burning Gundam is way cooler than God Gundam

It also fits the theme of being Neo Japan's Gundam, since you know Rising Sun-Shining Sun-Burning Sun

Is God Gundam Kami Gundam in Japanese though? Because that sounds loving amazing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

It also fits the theme of being Neo Japan's Gundam, since you know Rising Sun-Shining Sun-Burning Sun

Is God Gundam Kami Gundam in Japanese though? Because that sounds loving amazing

No, it's explicitly the English word God, just as Devil is Devil.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Mr Satan's first name is still Hercule in my heart.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Mr Satan's first name is still Hercule in my heart.

His first name being Mark is way funnier though while keeping his family's pun name scheme.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Marcus Hercule Satan and his daughter Videl Hercule Satan

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ImpAtom posted:

His first name being Mark is way funnier though while keeping his family's pun name scheme.

He Changed it ok?! He's allowed to do that!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

I always admit that I did like Shining -> Burning more than Shining -> God as an upgrade naming scheme.

God works better in the context of the villain being the Devil Gundam.

Ironically, the change to Dark Gundam makes Shining work better there, but Burning doesn't work as well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kanos posted:

God works better in the context of the villain being the Devil Gundam.

Ironically, the change to Dark Gundam makes Shining work better there, but Burning doesn't work as well.

Burn away the darkness

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

TulliusCicero posted:

If I remember correctly it's "the Next Dimension" because the Ocean dub had a wierd thing about saying "kill or Death"

The dub of Gundam Wing is similiar. A lot "I'LL DESTROY YOU!!!!" Duo calling himself the Great Destroyer despite having loving Deathsycthe Gundam, stuff like that

It is a little odd that everybody else is in Dragonball and future Trunks is in Akira/ Berserk all the drat time in terms of tone

In hindsight Hiro's threat to Relena just sounds like a goofy sexual boast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lamebot posted:

In hindsight Hiro's threat to Relena just sounds like a goofy sexual boast.

Literally everything Heero and Relena say to each other is just playing into their weird fetishes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Burning especially fits better when you consider its special attack is superheating its hand, shoving it into the opponent and heating it up until it explodes.

...I mean, I'm sure a god can do that too, but still.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I finally accepted that I'm not going to ever commit the time to watch the rest of Super and just watched Broly

holy gently caress y'all how did I only see one of the new movies in theaters and why was it RoF

I mean RoF is fun but BROLY Y'ALL

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah that name should honestly be canon. It's too good

Pretty sure it is thanks to the Arale episode.

khwarezm posted:

He Changed it ok?! He's allowed to do that!

Given his pro wrestling vibes I like the idea that he's fought under a number of names.

Also dealing the Great Saiyaman persona might be based on him. Maybe that's why they get along so well.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
broly is very good and made one of the worst dbz characters good

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rody One Half posted:

I finally accepted that I'm not going to ever commit the time to watch the rest of Super and just watched Broly

holy gently caress y'all how did I only see one of the new movies in theaters and why was it RoF

I mean RoF is fun but BROLY Y'ALL

Broly is an excellent movie, but you should watch the rest of Super.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rody One Half posted:

...I did the same thing and I regret it every day :sigh:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

broly is very good and made one of the worst dbz characters good

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wouldn't have thought Gohan figured heavily in that movie

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

the theater i saw the broly movie at was packed, and it was mostly black and latin americans there, and the hype through it all was euphoric

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The cheelai and lemo scenes were good because we haven't seen much of just frieza force randos outside the namek jobbers fighting crabs with bulma or whatever. Plus Frieza's dub actor killed it, as usual

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
broly's friendship with cheelai and lemo owned and i hope that one day they can move off of that hosed up planet to a less hosed up planet

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 14, 2022

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

My main memory of seeing Broly in theaters was before the movie started, Alamo Drafthouse was showing old Japanese commercials and previews, and this one individual in back kept trying to start MST style riff fests, primarily by calling Doraemon a homophobic slur.

Also rage broly vs whis was cool for the 6 seconds it lasted

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Broly likes his hosed up planet, to him that is home and now he lives there happy with his wife and uncle-grandpa

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Looking at the Cell Saga, I realized that it really was the marking point where they considered passing the mantle on to the kids, but then walked it back because Goku and Vegeta were just so much more entertaining in the main role. By denying Trunks much relevance outside of instigation, and keeping Gohan irrelevant until the very end, they subtly told everyone that "No, this is still the Goku and Vegeta Show, the kids are not going to be successors"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Black August posted:

Looking at the Cell Saga, I realized that it really was the marking point where they considered passing the mantle on to the kids, but then walked it back because Goku and Vegeta were just so much more entertaining in the main role. By denying Trunks much relevance outside of instigation, and keeping Gohan irrelevant until the very end, they subtly told everyone that "No, this is still the Goku and Vegeta Show, the kids are not going to be successors"

Or the Buu Saga where both Goten/Trunks and Gohan get a powerup only to subsequently get their asses handed to them resulting in Goku and Vegeta having to save the day once again. At least with Cell Gohan actually got to finish him off personally.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Larryb posted:

Or the Buu Saga where both Goten/Trunks and Gohan get a powerup only to subsequently get their asses handed to them resulting in Goku and Vegeta having to save the day once again.

Yes, I'm saying the seeds of "The kids are not alright" was set as far back as a little ways into the Cell Saga, and this informed the Buu Saga, which I felt was absolutely never going to allow the kids to win anything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Black August posted:

Yes, I'm saying the seeds of "The kids are not alright" was set as far back as a little ways into the Cell Saga, and this informed the Buu Saga, which I felt was absolutely never going to allow the kids to win anything.

Yeah, I can see that. And that continued into Super (and GT) as I recall as well.

Hell, even in the OG Dragon Ball it became pretty clear that this was and would always be the Goku Show (Z merely confirmed that fact).

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Also, on behalf of Toriyama as someone who writes, I can sympathize with the inability to let go and allow someone new to be the main character. He was writing Goku for both of their entire lives; from Goku as a little kid in the 80s, all through his adulthood and ascension to Super Saiyan after literal and figurative decades. Trying to hand it over to Gohan (without making him just another Goku, on top of all the financial pressures) might have been too much of a creative supertrain to stop the inertia of.

Guess we'll see what bones Superhero throws.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Black August posted:

Also, on behalf of Toriyama as someone who writes, I can sympathize with the inability to let go and allow someone new to be the main character. He was writing Goku for both of their entire lives; from Goku as a little kid in the 80s, all through his adulthood and ascension to Super Saiyan after literal and figurative decades. Trying to hand it over to Gohan (without making him just another Goku, on top of all the financial pressures) might have been too much of a creative supertrain to stop the inertia of.

Guess we'll see what bones Superhero throws.

Honestly, the way DBZ is structured through the Cell Saga feels a lot like it's Gohan's story, even while Goku was the protagonist for the vast majority of it. I feel like the failed hand-off post Cell was not necessarily Toriyama's choice, because the transition from Cell to Buu is so weird in the way that specific thing is handled. The fact that GT exists post-Buu just kinda adds to that feeling for me.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

Honestly, the way DBZ is structured through the Cell Saga feels a lot like it's Gohan's story, even while Goku was the protagonist for the vast majority of it. I feel like the failed hand-off post Cell was not necessarily Toriyama's choice, because the transition from Cell to Buu is so weird in the way that specific thing is handled. The fact that GT exists post-Buu just kinda adds to that feeling for me.

I really should clarify that the two words 'financial pressures' in my post has about a billion times the power level of Toriyama's creative wishes.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Black August posted:

I really should clarify that the two words 'financial pressures' in my post has about a billion times the power level of Toriyama's creative wishes.

Yeah, absolutely.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's a bit tough to have gohan be the protagonist because he's essentially a reactive character. He's never really enjoyed fighting and only fights/trains is he absolutely has to do it. Gohan is not the kind of guy to go and try to fight Beerus because he think's it'd be fun, or actively encourage having a tournament with fighters from different universes competing.

Goku is the guy who actively seeks new challenges and fights. It's a character who more easily gets himself into adventures. He keeps wanting to get stronger and he will actively instigate the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

King of Solomon posted:

I wonder if this is a dub thing. For the original, Goku is synonymous with Dragon Ball, and his cycle of getting knocked down to get back up again is well established by that point.

But for people starting with Z, the first thing we see is Gohan's introduction. Our first fight gives noticeable focus to Gohan's potential. Goku doesn't even live past the opening battle, and its his son who gets taken and trained to defend the Earth without him. It's Gohan who goes to Namek with the two major sidekicks. It's Gohan who inherits the Earth and the cool future man (who, for a Z audience, is like the only new member of the consistent cast of allied Z Warriors) idolizes. Its Gohan who gets the final battle, and an entire arc that's him growing into the shoes Goku left behind.

Then the Buu saga proper happens and what feels like such a clear narrative arc disappears.