Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Five years later I still can't figure out why the Tri writers thought Deviantart Fanfiction Self-Insert would be a compelling ninth character to try to get us as invested in as the main eight we've known for twenty years. I get that the plot needed to establish Meiko and :sigh: Meikomon Meicoomon for the plot to have any impact, but it didn't have any impact. At all. Because she's a complete nothing of a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
To be charitable: the Tri writers realized any addition to a tightly knit cast would be jarring so they went with a character with no real personality to speak of so people could project whatever they wanted on her.

To be less charitable: "thought"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's so awkwardly done.

She just kind of bumbles into the main group but not in a way that's especially endearing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What do you guys think the symbol is for the crest of Mediocrity?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

girl dick energy posted:

Imagine a perfectly round circle.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I can think of at least three Original The Character crests off the top of my head that fit Meiko's role in the plot and would've given her at least a modicum of personality,

Crest of Trust/Faith! Sees the best in everyone and has a hard time accepting that anyone is beyond saving. This causes conflict in the plot because she doesn't internalize that someone might want to trick her or use Meicoomon's powers for evil.

Crest of Charity! Gives too much of herself to other people, gets herself in trouble because she doesn't know how to say no if someone's in need. Not really that distinct from Kindness, but Tri didn't care about 02 anyways.

Crest of Unity! Believes that any problem can be solved by people working together. Bad at accepting that some people are selfish and nothing can change that. Different from Friendship because it extends to all people, different from Love because it's more about the what than the who.

There's probably other, actually good ideas. I just wanted to give some examples of how easy it would have been to give her something, anything, to make this 'everygirl' character actually compelling.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

girl dick energy posted:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like Meiko >:T

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The thing that stands out for me about Meiko is how little she actually seems to care about her partner.

Despite claiming she cares about Maicoomon and the movie saying that they have this deep bond, she notably DOESN'T go to the Digital World to reunite with her at the end of movie 3. She refuses to answer the call everyone else jumps at. That moment destroyed any potential sympathy for her I might have had. Then movie 6 gets across repeatedly how she isn't close at all, it takes everyone else goading her to figure out the password and she doesn't utter a peep when Taichi decides to put Ordinemon out of the audience's misery. It's HIKARI who protests for the life of the Digimon who ate her partner, not the person who is alleged to be as close as a sister to Maicoomon.

And then Maicoomon immediately comes back to life for Meiko. Isn't that great? Maicoomon gets to come back to the partner who never lifted a finger to help her.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Meiko exists because Tri really wanted to push the number 3 on the viewers, so now there's 3x3 Chosen Children.

Also Tailmon sells so she gets a Tailmon copy for a partner instead of anything more creative.

She's never given a Crest because there are already nine thanks to Ken's Crest of Kindness, even if it never comes up in Tri because that'd imply acknowledging 02 happened.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

never mind1

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 9, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

quote:

DexDorugoramon (BT9-081) <01> SR
Mega | Virus | Undead/X-Antibody
---
Digivolve: 2 from [Dorugoramon]

[When Digivolving] If this Digimon has [Dorugoramon] in its digivolution cards or when digivolving from the trash, delete all of your opponent's Digimon with the lowest level.

[On Deletion] You may play a level 3 purple or black Digimon from your trash without paying its play cost. If you have 5 or more cards with [Dex] in their names in your trash, you may instead play 1 [Dexmon] from your trash without paying it's play cost.

quote:

DexDoruGreymon (BT9-078) <01> U
Ultimate | Virus | Undead/X-Antibody
Digivolve: 1 from [DoruGreymon]
---
[When Digivolving] You may trash 1 card with [Dex] in its name or [X-Antibody] in its traits in your hand to gain 1 memory.
[When Digivolving] If this Digimon has [DoruGreymon] in its digivolution cards or when digivolving from the trash, delete 1 of your opponent's level 4 or lower Digimon.

quote:

DexDorugoramon (BT9-081) <01> SR
Mega | Virus | Undead/X-Antibody
---
Digivolve: 2 from [Dorugoramon]

[When Digivolving] If this Digimon has [Dorugoramon] in its digivolution cards or when digivolving from the trash, delete all of your opponent's Digimon with the lowest level.

[On Deletion] You may play a level 3 purple or black Digimon from your trash without paying its play cost. If you have 5 or more cards with [Dex] in their names in your trash, you may instead play 1 [Dexmon] from your trash without paying it's play cost.

quote:

Dexmon (BT9-112) <01> SEC
Mega | Virus | Unanalyzable/X-Program
---
When you would play this card, reduce the play cost by 3 for each of your opponent's Digimon and Tamers in play.

[On Play][When Digivolving] <De-Digivolve 1> All of your opponent's Digimon. Then, delete all of your opponent's level 4 or lower Digimon.

[End of Opponent's Turn][Once Per Turn] Delete all of your opponent's Digimon with the lowest play cost.

quote:

Metal Impulse (BT9-107) <01> R
---
[Main] Trash up to 3 cards in your hand. For each card trashed by this effect, <De-digivolve 1> 1 of your opponent's Digimon. Then, delete 1 of your opponent’s level 4 or lower Digimon.
---
[Security] Activate this card's [Main] effect.

quote:

[BT9-106] Dex-lution
|X-Antibody|

If you have a Digimon with [X-Antibody] in its traits in play, you may use this card without meeting its color requirements.

[Main] 1 of your Digimon can digivolve into a Digimon from your trash with [Dex] in it’s name by paying its memory cost.

Security: Add this card to your hand.

There you have it folks, the entire Dex line, plus options!

…it’s maybe not good! Dexmon and DexDorugoramon are good but you want to be playing the Dorumon line as well as the Dex line alongside the Dracmon line for its ability to evolve from the trash, and I’m not super sure how well everything will synergize and how consistent the deck will be. Deck building for it will be tough.

If you want to see the Dorumon line, go here for the BT7 card list

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dexmon is another god awful dub name, I keep forgetting about it. A total defanging of that monster

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nodosaur posted:

Dexmon is another god awful dub name, I keep forgetting about it. A total defanging of that monster

It’s kanji spells out Dekusumon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s kanji spells out Dekusumon.

That’s clearly meant to be a portmanteau of Death and X that doesn’t translate directly because in Japanese Death-X would be impossibly difficult to pronounce. We have how Bandai has chosen to render it for years as proof.

“Dexmon” is a literal translation maybe, but it’s also a transparent dodge to avoid a no no word, ooo scary.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Deaxmon is worse, honestly, and I think that's what was used in some Bandai Asia stuff. And "Death-X Dorugoramon" is a little clunky to say.

Also interesting that De(ath)Xmon has "X Program" in its traits rather than "X-Antibody." I hadn't noticed that as part of its nature before?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

De-Axmon, the Digimon that is programmed to remove axes.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Golux posted:

Also interesting that De(ath)Xmon has "X Program" in its traits rather than "X-Antibody." I hadn't noticed that as part of its nature before?

There was also something that stood out to me, because it was also news to me. At the same time it mechanically calls back to it by firing onto a big board because the X program was released in the first place because of there being too many Digimon for the digital world to process.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

That’s clearly meant to be a portmanteau of Death and X that doesn’t translate directly because in Japanese Death-X would be impossibly difficult to pronounce. We have how Bandai has chosen to render it for years as proof.

“Dexmon” is a literal translation maybe, but it’s also a transparent dodge to avoid a no no word, ooo scary.

デスエックスモン is nowhere near impossibly difficult to pronounce, lol. It’s a bit of a mouthful but much easier than like… 90% of Digimon attack names. Pretty sure they just thought デクス sounded cooler and easier, but knew nobody would understand that it’s a portmanteau so they romanized it as Death-X. IIRC when that line was first revealed nobody know what it meant anyway

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Jesmon is also an abbreviation meaning Justice Edge Swordsman.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Digimon abbreviations are dumb and you know what, I’m here for them

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

デスエックスモン is nowhere near impossibly difficult to pronounce, lol. It’s a bit of a mouthful but much easier than like… 90% of Digimon attack names. Pretty sure they just thought デクス sounded cooler and easier, but knew nobody would understand that it’s a portmanteau so they romanized it as Death-X. IIRC when that line was first revealed nobody know what it meant anyway

MY mistake then.

Dexmon is still a horrible name.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ah, Dadaykwihftmon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ghost Game Episode 18: well that was a very tense and even creepy episode that radically shifted gears in a pretty wild way. Shoutouts to modern digital technology thwarting a kidnapper, because that is essentially what happened. Also shoutouts to some of the Digimon they used, I never in a million years would have guessed Orcamon would make its animated debut in the creepy Peter Pan episode.

I do wonder when the show is going to cash in its chips, though. This episode keeps going with some of the established themes of the series, but at the same time we haven't hit any of the payoffs yet. When it gets where it's going I do hope Ghost Game can still keep together.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kiyoshiro going into an investigation in full cosplay is extremely powerful energy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Gammamon on a roomba might be the cutest thing ever.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Gammamon is the most perfect little boy and he should always be protected.

Captainhookmon x Petermon is definitely yaoi doujinshi material

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Gammamon is the most perfect little boy and he should always be protected.

Captainhookmon x Petermon is definitely yaoi doujinshi material

Kind of surprised they didn’t use Tinkermon while they were at it:

https://digimon.fandom.com/wiki/Tinkermon

Still sort of curious if there’s going to turn out to be a Big Bad behind all this or if they’re going to go with the more MOTW style of Young Hunters where the threats gradually escalate as the show goes on

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Larryb posted:

Still sort of curious if there’s going to turn out to be a Big Bad behind all this or if they’re going to go with the more MOTW style of Young Hunters where the threats gradually escalate as the show goes on

We're about a third of the way through a typical length Digimon series, and with the amount of threads this series has been setting up I figure we'll get some significant story beats sooner rather than later. Maybe around the time Canoweissmon shows up, who knows?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

https://twitter.com/NoContxtmon/status/1493204188058243074

Another really good episode this week! Three Digimon that had never seen the anime before, a really creepy antagonist, Captain Harlock, and most importantly, a lesson that's so diametrically opposite to Last Evolution's that I can only imagine it was done on purpouse, and thank god for that.

Ghost Game is so good.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Another really good episode this week! Three Digimon that had never seen the anime before, a really creepy antagonist, Captain Harlock, and most importantly, a lesson that's so diametrically opposite to Last Evolution's that I can only imagine it was done on purpouse, and thank god for that.

Yeah I got a little bit of a kick out of that. That's what I meant last week when I said I was looking forward to this episode for more reasons than one. After DA:LEK I suspected that an episode about "Neverland" might fire a couple of shots across the bow. And the shots fired were subtle enough that the intentionality behind them can be up in the air, but you know what? Intentional or not, someone somewhere was thumbing their nose at that intentionally hopeless mess. If nothing else, it reaffirmed a moral from the end of Digimon Adventure 02, which of course was also completely antithetical to DA:LEK.

Menoa did nothing wrong.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
So Gryzzlymon finally evolved in RE:arise.

Spoilers:

Into Cerberusmon. Give us new bears you fuckin' cowards! :argh:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Spoilers:
Into Cerberusmon. Give us new bears you fuckin' cowards! :argh:

Every line in ReArise so far except Dorumon followed the same "three existing Digimon > new Mega" line and I imagine this one won't be any different. It's kind of a random change though, but so was bear > lion so I guess it's not exactly unfitting for the line.

Also the New Century silhouette got revealed, plus a new one to speculate on!
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1493574143912165376
https://twitter.com/Ulforce_Soul/status/1493542104005746690
https://twitter.com/digicaplayer/status/1493573199636086785

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

...I feel like "Kiwi" can't be right there.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

with the will says "exotic bird"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Golux posted:

...I feel like "Kiwi" can't be right there.

Kiwimon is already a Digimon

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I know that, I was commenting on the text/translation in one of the Ulforce Soul tweets.

It does actually say キウィ型 in Japanese though...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

girl dick energy posted:

Five years later I still can't figure out why the Tri writers thought Deviantart Fanfiction Self-Insert would be a compelling ninth character to try to get us as invested in as the main eight we've known for twenty years. I get that the plot needed to establish Meiko and :sigh: Meikomon Meicoomon for the plot to have any impact, but it didn't have any impact. At all. Because she's a complete nothing of a character.

They Tenchi in Tokyo'd it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They Tenchi in Tokyo'd it.

It is a wild goddamn time getting introduced to that show via Tenchi in Tokyo, and then discovering the first OVA

Like, what a stark goddamn contrast