Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I give more of a poo poo about the 5 cast than anyone in 4 or 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
every final fantasy character is worth dying for

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would let every single FF character die before I put myself in even the mildest of danger.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I think Lenna is let down a little bit by not interacting with the rest of the party very much. She's got her plot beats with Faris but what really makes 5's cast feel relatable and memorable to me are Bartz/Faris/Galuf/Krile playfully giving each other poo poo like friends do. Lenna isn't really part of that dynamic so she kind of feels like the odd person out of the cast

Will agree though that her dedication to eating poison and saving animals is pretty boss

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is there a 5PR mod that restores her insufferable constant pirate talk from the psx translation?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Edge? Vincent? Kimahri?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Vincent is worth dying for the man is just a cloak and a gun one of the coolest designs ever

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Frionnel posted:

Edge? Vincent? Kimahri?

Irvine???

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Frionnel posted:

Edge? Vincent? Kimahri?

yes

yes

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 13, 2022

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

everyone is naming all these low-hanging fruits but a complete pass is given to the dour cast of ff9

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, you don’t really go out of your way to mention that fire is hot, water is wet, we would all die for Vivi, grass is green, and snow is cold. It’s just a given.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Eight-Six posted:

everyone is naming all these low-hanging fruits but a complete pass is given to the dour cast of ff9

i would die for quina

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I would not die for Vivi. The poor boy doesn't need that on his conscience.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Is there something with Vivis name and roman numerals, considering all the other black mages use numbers for names? Like Vivi is actually just prototype 66 and that old chef dude didn’t get it, or am i just on painkillers?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Eight-Six posted:

you don't get to talk about freya like that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Draga posted:

I would not die for Vivi. The poor boy doesn't need that on his conscience.

look on the bright side, he wouldn't feel sad about it for long

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I would die for each and every one of the theater bros in IX.

Even the weird bondage aardvarks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Impermanent posted:

I've never played a classic FF game but I've played enough FFXIV over the past few years that I've decided to give it a plunge. two questions for the thread:

what order should i play the games in, ideally starting with a really good one and then going in order of the other games as they get progressively better.

what's the best way to play ff games. there's these 'pixel remaster' things on steam and they look fine but people complain about them being easy mode versions for scrubs? I don't know if that means anything.

FF8 is the one you should start with. It is the best one. It is so good in fact that we have a whole megathread dedicated to it. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987345

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DrPossum posted:

you don't get to talk about freya like that

There wasn't much to talk about her after disc 1 :v:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
A lot of people die for you in FF14, but because you are the strongest creature in existence you can't die for anyone else. The only thing that can kill you is biowarfare.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Gologle posted:

A lot of people die for you in FF14, but because you are the strongest creature in existence you can't die for anyone else. The only thing that can kill you is biowarfare.

It's our Goku Heart Attack

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
skipping ff2 in order to get all the ff14 references means you never experience the original version of replying "wild rose" to every prompt for a code phrase or password, perhaps the best long-running reference joke in 14

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I would die for my friend Estinien (im on 2/2 of stormblood)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

you should play FF4 forward first and return to the ones beforehand later

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It doesn't really matter what order you play them in. Play one that a friend is also playing around the same time so you can talk about it with them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

pretty soft girl posted:

As a kid/adolescent I was much more invested in 4's proto edgelord characters cool, troubled heroes and was kind of annoyed with how childish 5's story/cast was. As an adult it's flipped and now I think every character in 4 deserves to be shot out of a cannon for being a dumb annoying idiot. 5's cast of silly heroic do-gooders is way more appealing and when they kill someone off you actually care a little bit

It's great because the TEllah and Galuf scenes are technically and on paper the same scene but are tonally incredibly different and only one actually manages to generate emotions and it's not the one from the melodrama about Kingdoms at war and the sins conflict generates.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

i don't cry when a clown dies, it is uncouth to their existence

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Just bought the FF1 pixel remaster, here we go.

I'm going fighter/thief/rdm/whm.

This OST owns and the intro slaps

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Thief really comes out ahead in 1PR with the balance changes and bug fixes doing a lot for ninja

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

It's great because the TEllah and Galuf scenes are technically and on paper the same scene but are tonally incredibly different and only one actually manages to generate emotions and it's not the one from the melodrama about Kingdoms at war and the sins conflict generates.

"Upon the souls of they who have sacrificed themselves to pave the way to peace, we will never abandon our cause" -Cecil, probably, if he were cool

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well maybe he would have said that if anyone in FFIV had actually sacrificed themselves for peace, instead of just looking like they did only to come back an hour later and say "I'm okay!"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well maybe he would have said that if anyone in FFIV had actually sacrificed themselves for peace, instead of just looking like they did only to come back an hour later and say "I'm okay!"

Except Tellah who went out in a flame of glorious vengeance

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
tellah owned... and he owned himself

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The Dissidia Phone game does a great job of making even the most forgettable characters really fun...except the ff4 cast. There's a lot of just "What if Cecil did the whole Light/Dark Who Am I bit even after he gets all his memories back" and "Rosa sacrificing all agency to aid Cecil" and "Ceodore Has Daddy Issues." Meanwhile the FF5 team has The main squad grabbed from ~world 2 ish in their timeline and Krile from the end of the game so she knows Grandpas a goner but has to put on a good show so no one else freaks out so she doesn't even get the catharsis of talking with Grandpa about it all. Also it's hinted that Galuf might also know he dies and is lying to everyone to keep their spirits up.

That phone game is surprisingly well written for a mobage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly liked Tellah's death more than Galuf's. They felt a bit more similar but Galuf didn't feel like he was as emotionally invested beyond just being goodly heroic and Galuf is also hurt by being replaced incredibly quickly by a character who inherits all his abilities so it doesn't really have the same "And now he's gone forever" feel as Tellah.

Also honestly "Tellah goes gently caress you and casts a spell so powerful his body explodes" is one of the best ways to go out in FF, even if it ends up not being a long-term victory.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly liked Tellah's death more than Galuf's. They felt a bit more similar but Galuf didn't feel like he was as emotionally invested beyond just being goodly heroic and Galuf is also hurt by being replaced incredibly quickly by a character who inherits all his abilities so it doesn't really have the same "And now he's gone forever" feel as Tellah.

Also honestly "Tellah goes gently caress you and casts a spell so powerful his body explodes" is one of the best ways to go out in FF, even if it ends up not being a long-term victory.

Galuf goes out fighting the Evil Wizard he's spent his life battling, the guy who just killed one of his last remaining old comrades and is threatening to kill his new ones which the narrative and framing of the fight and his words double down on. He couldn't be any more emotionally invested. Tellah on the other hand, while theoretically saving his new allies, frames it all as revenge, not even really about stopping the evil from harming more. This is cheapened even more by the more heroic struggles of Edward, a character who has just as much a connection to the cause of Tellah's vengeance and has more on screen character moments associated with her. Tellah's a shittier version of another characters backstory that's in the same game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Galuf goes out fighting the Evil Wizard he's spent his life battling, the guy who just killed one of his last remaining old comrades and is threatening to kill his new ones which the narrative and framing of the fight and his words double down on. He couldn't be any more emotionally invested. Tellah on the other hand, while theoretically saving his new allies, frames it all as revenge, not even really about stopping the evil from harming more. This is cheapened even more by the more heroic struggles of Edward, a character who has just as much a connection to the cause of Tellah's vengeance and has more on screen character moments associated with her. Tellah's a shittier version of another characters backstory that's in the same game.

The difference is that Galuf's allies somehow manage to have less presence and personality than Anna, the character who is literally dead the first time you see her.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The difference is that Galuf's allies somehow manage to have less presence and personality than Anna, the character who is literally dead the first time you see her.

There's no other way to say this, that's a dumb take. Just stupid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's no other way to say this, that's a dumb take. Just stupid.

No, you're just being an rear end in a top hat.

The Warriors of Dawn are loving boring characters. They have almost no personality outside of the GBA translation and even then are some of the most unmemorable characters in the game, Galuf aside. Anna isn't exactly great shakes either mind you but the idea that one is this deep emotional investment and the other isn't is basically boiling down to which one you like more, not an actual meaningful writing difference. And as someone who played IV before V, Galuf's death didn't work emotionally well for me because the WoD were boring characters and "Oh look, my old man character is sacrificing himself to defeat the blue armored villain" felt like a cheap retread.

I still love both games mind you but I honestly found the Edward/Tellah/Anna revenge/moving on/whatnot plot more interesting than anything involving the WoD.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think part of what makes Galuf's death work better than Tellah's is that it actually incorporates game mechanics. Not only does he have the fight where he refuses to go down after hitting 0 HP, but they use elements of the game's mechanics to hammer in the party's response to it all. Whereas Tellah's scene is just 100% scripted, it's basically just a cutscene in the battle scene.

It especially works well in FFV, since it's a very crunchy game gameplay-wise, so it puts the scene itself into the medium you're REALLY deep into using.