Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

41 deaths today and 109 new hospitalisations. You know that Omicron is really mild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

yoloer420 posted:

Thank gently caress that covid infection provides lasting and effective immunity.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Dreylad posted:

we had to go through the same thing with everyone wanting to see the new baby, but fortunately all the grandparents want to prioritize her safety first.

the provincial government has always just been about 10 steps too slow in reacting to even case count. we hit 5 digit cases before christmas and just cancelled all our plans and had to explain a few times that just because ontario hasn't done poo poo doesn't mean it's safe.

downloading public health on to individuals to make the best decision is a loving disaster lol

Is there stock COVID shut-in rules to share with family re: a new kid somewhere?

Given the joy of reading about stillbirths and crunchy placentas, I'd really rather not let any family see my pregnant wife, but the fallback is going to have to be strict requirements about PCR testing and N95-wearing. But I'm sort of ruing having to draft it myself along with all the research to cite that they are still going to try and ignore.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'd hate to point out the obvious, but reinfection is not rare. People are getting reinfected within around six weeks of clearing the last infection when it comes to omicron reinfections as well as omicron variants. I have a friend that despite being careful has caught covid three times now: Covid classic, delta and recently omicron. Not careless. Just unlucky with a girlfriend who had a lovely, high risk job despite masking who brought it home the last time.

I remember reading that one of the Southern states, either Alabama or Mississippi, can't remember exactly, had already lost 1 in 100 people to covid. And that was months ago. Other states like Tennessee, Kentucky and Louisiana aren't far behind them due to just how loving dire their situations are. All of the old Confederacy, really. Some places within the US have already reached a 1% death rate and in a few years will probably reach 2%, though we may not know it when it happens because those deaths are hidden from the public. And your idea of 2% is flawed because it doesn't account for reinfections. Nor does it account for downstream deaths from despair like drug overdose, suicide or excess deaths caused by hospital collapse. And if you factor those in, you'll approach 1% and 2% far more quickly. And in some states we may be approaching that 2% number right now.

And I'm sorry to say that, because it's not comforting. I have no comfort. It's horrifying. But becoming aware of the horror and spreading that knowledge is a good thing if paired with a call to action. Part of the reason why people aren't clamoring for action in regards to mitigating covid is because material reality is being obscured. The longer that the true toll of covid is obscured, the longer it takes for some sort of reaction/backlash to current policies takes and the weaker it will be.

I don't believe that measuring and understanding reality makes me a doomer. It makes me a point from where good information can be spread. On small terms to help those close to me protect themselves. On the larger scale to get those people who I've helped to take the arguments that I've formed and communicate them to others. Because the rhetoric of "trust the science" so they can get back to brunch from the libs and "covid isn't real/is the flu/can be cured with horse dewormer" from the right wingers is vulnerable because it doesn't work. It just gets loving smashed by covid over and over again. And the stranglehold that these two groups have over narrative reality isn't all powerful. Eventually more and more people will be receptive to new narratives.

My own personal narrative is that zero covid is the only rational and sane thing to do. And what's happening to everyone else as we Open Biden across the world is social murder as coined by old Frederich Engels himself. And that social murder is perpetuated not just on a national scale, but internationally. And that covid transcends party politics because most if not all existing political parties across the world don't really have to care about the survival of their citizenry. Because if you look at their actions instead of listening to their rhetoric, you'll find that suddenly those in power have stopped giving a gently caress about you. You might believe this is a recent development. You may never have believed they gave a gently caress. Your mileage may vary. What matters is that you understand that they presently don't give a gently caress about the survival of regular people and that this fact isn't likely to change unless that change is forced upon them. So no matter if you vote D or R, you're still voting for D(elta) or R(oni). And it is very possible that voting will not solve your problems. At least not on a decent timeline. And certainly not with the crop of elites who've decided that mass social murder is acceptable.

It is my belief that political action should take place within what these ghouls worship the most. The economy. And that in order to force them to capitulate, people should strike or walk away from their jobs. The more critical that job is, the better, so long as you do not harm innocent people in the doing. Their purpose is to keep the economy open at all costs. Not just for their own personal profit as well as the profit of capital, but because forcing people to work is how people in power keep ordinary people distracted. Because if they weren't distracted, they would assess their reality, find it repulsive and lash out like in the case of the George Floyd protests which I personally believe sprung from in part from the lockdowns because people were able to pay attention to reality and had the free time and energy to do something about it.

The powers that be do not want anything like that happening ever again, at home or abroad. And so I find it highly doubtful that there will be lockdowns or government checks or rent freezer ever again. Because that runs contrary to labor participation and the control that said participation creates and maintains over the citizenry.

Which is all very complicated. But it can boiled down into a few points:

1. Zero covid is the only rational and sane policy because...
2. If there is no zero covid policy being pursued, then the only other option is widespread social murder. And that there is no third way. The decision is binary. Either one or the other. Zero covid or social murder. Covid is just too virulent to allow for half measures. One does not use a moderate amount of water on a burning building.
3. If your country's elites choose social murder, they want to lie to you and keep you distracted from the fact that they've chosen social murder as their official policy despite what they actually tell you.
4.They lie to you and distract you in order to control you.
5. This is because they fear you.
6. They fear you because mass movements of people seeking change might push them out of power or even hold them accountable for their actions.
7. Reliance on electoralism as the only form of political change is yet another distraction. Elites who've chosen mass social murder are not trustworthy. So voting might be a way to affect change, maybe, but it's slow and unreliable and incredibly corrupt.
8. So the only rational and sane thing to do is to push for other political actions that force a zero covid solution.
9. The safest, most peaceful, most legal, most moral and arguably most effective way to create change is through withholding labor. Not individually, but cooperatively. At choke points within the economy. Points that have become brittle due to those positions being vacated due to covid.
10. So choke those loving points.

great post but imho when you refer to “them” it doesn’t vibe with me. the causes of our misery are structural; you could chop the head of the current hydra and we’d continue on with social murder. ok granted if you somehow managed to instantly delete the 1% I think some things would change for the better, but we’d then have a new 1% who are probably structurally incentivized to continue on with social murder.

maybe when you’ve blendered through the top ~20% things would meaningfully change, but then I’d be dead, and that sounds bad for me, so I reject this proposal, and also I think it’d be ultimately futile — we’d end up with an egalitarian generation followed by reactionary excess followed by delusional grandeur and back to square 1. need to change the system to escape the cycle.

despite my whinging, :hmmyes: your prescriptive advice

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Weaponized Autism posted:

never realized a pandemic can be over so fast!

:lol:

This morning I learned that Mike DeWine is now withdrawing the national guard from hospitals. They had a big propaganda piece where all the nurses were clapping as they left, and talking about how great it was they were there.

I think they were there for maybe about a month.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

GXL posted:

I said that I'd post a review of my throat microphone and speaker setup once it came in the mail. Here's what I've been using for the last week and change:

Dual Transponder Throat Microphone - 3.5mm (1/8") Connector
VoiceBooster Voice Amplifier 12 watts Black MR1505 by TK Products

and to hold the speaker on my chest

OUFABE Binocular Harness Strap

Getting the mic was kind of a pain because the manufacturer iXradio (who is the only online source for the particular model) is based in Singapore, which meant that it took a little under four weeks (ordered Jan 10, arrived Feb 4) to get from there to here in Los Angeles. The build quality of the mic also isn't great: the wiring is stiff and waxy, the braces holding them to the rear are 3d prints, there are little dots of dried glue and plastic fibers sticking out, and the plastic arms feel thin and hollow, which makes adjusting their length feel like you're on the edge of ripping the entire thing apart. During a period where I thought the Singapore mic was lost in transit, I bought another mic (Assault-MOD Tactical Throat Mic Headset) from Ebay. Having the two in front of me now, the build quality of the Code Red is obviously a step above the iXradio model, which makes sense considering that it's a hair over twice the MSRP (I also can't comment on the quality of their respective audio outputs since getting a 3.5mm cable for the Code Red was roughly the same cost as the entire iXradio unit and I hadn't turned desperate enough at that point to completely write off the Singapore shipment as lost). The iXradio model is functional though, and having the entire unit consist of the transponders and a 3.5mm connector instead of a series of adapters, push-to-talk units, and superfluous earpieces like every other model I found online is a huge advantage in reducing overall bulk. You definitely get what you pay for in most other aspects, however.

The speaker is good. I have less to say about it because I have no other model for comparison. It's loud enough to be inappropriate in an indoor retail setting if you crank it up, and a charge will last for at least a week if you only turn it on for a couple of minutes at a time when you're ready to talk to someone. It does give your voice a kind of "flat" sound like Kylo Ren and is distorted enough that you might have to speak a little slowly so that the beginnings and ends of words are distinct. I've read that people have problems with the plastic strap on the rear snapping off after a lot of use, but mitigating the stress on the case through suspending the entire thing on a series of elastic bands (as the harness does) will hopefully help keep it undamaged over a long period.

As for the actual experience of using the mic and speaker: it's great! I didn't realize how much I missed being able to interact with random people through speech while outside (especially since I used to hate it in the before times). From the handful of encounters I've had, people will react to your voice without acknowledging that it's coming out of a weird little speaker, possibly because it's so unexpected that they slip into the kind of involuntary congenial reaction that you adopt when responding to any spoken prompt from a stranger. The general standard in mask usage and quality in my area is not great and I was expecting some kind of public social friction from wearing a strange contraption on my body, but the elastomeric has gotten way more stares and comments than the mic/speaker so far. The audio setup adds so much utility in being able to speak to people with the respirator on without having to shout or repeat words that it would take a huge amount of public heckling for me to stop wearing it. Nullifying the difficulty in communication while wandering the plaguelands in a good PPE setup really is transcendent, especially if we're talking about a few more years of surfing death waves before something changes. I would highly recommend that anyone who wears a respirator regularly look into getting a mic setup.

P.S.

I also saw a complete kit (TEN-4 Throat Mic & Speaker Amplifier Kit) that I passed on during my initial research because I was trying to pinch pennies. If I had to do it again, I would probably just take the one-and-done approach for an extra ~$30 instead of obsessively checking the mail for a month waiting for all the pieces to arrive. I have no idea what the quality of the IASUS gear is, but it sure looks nice.

Thanks for this. So far people don't have trouble with me over the phone or other voice, but did have a friend I ran into outside say they struggled badly to understand me. It's possible I just need to adjust my outdoor voice to compensate for the elastomeric but if that fails I know which post to read.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Testvan posted:

even Open Biden is saying it

Ah, but he also said that there’s no federal solution, and that it has to be a states rights issue! Throwing the molten, radioactive potato to the smaller guys means that he’s fine sitting there saying “oh no don’t do that but I can’t stop you.” When all this blows up in our faces and kills someone you care about and makes it so it’s hard for you to raise your hands above your waist, remember that there was nothing the president could have done because he said so, and make sure to use your precious moments of strength to to lift up that pen and vote for him. The other guy would probably be really bad.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

This morning I learned that Mike DeWine is now withdrawing the national guard from hospitals. They had a big propaganda piece where all the nurses were clapping as they left, and talking about how great it was they were there.

Tuxedo Mask meme

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Koirhor posted:

Tuxedo Mask meme

how long until National Guard starts working as Walmart or Costco greeters?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Chad Sexington posted:

Is there stock COVID shut-in rules to share with family re: a new kid somewhere?

Given the joy of reading about stillbirths and crunchy placentas, I'd really rather not let any family see my pregnant wife, but the fallback is going to have to be strict requirements about PCR testing and N95-wearing. But I'm sort of ruing having to draft it myself along with all the research to cite that they are still going to try and ignore.

I’ve found the rules to be pretty simple to communicate:

“We aren’t seeing anyone who doesn’t live with us right now. No, it’s not up for discussion.”

I’ve always taken a no bullshit stance with my family and set really clear boundaries though.

We did let my parents stay for us for a few weeks after the baby was born. I made them get a booster and quarantine upon arrival, then used a mix of masks and air purifiers at home. This was during delta when we were max titers from boosters. I would not do the same now during Omicron.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chad Sexington posted:

make everyone be vaccinated and boostered

make everyone get a test before they can see you

have everyone wear an N95, and have them wear it properly
no taking it off under any circumstances

do it outdoors if possible, or in a well-ventilated room otherwise (windows are open, fans are going; or a Corsi cube)
limit the interaction. I'd do no more than 15 minutes but there's really no way to quantify this besides shorter=better

ideally they'd also be masked in the days and weeks preceding their visit, especially if they're flying to you, but again, it's not something you can control, so you kinda have to snoop their social media or know how they've been behaving during the pandemic to get an understanding of how likely they are to catch COVID before they come to you

and I wouldn't even bother trying to come up with articles and citations justifying why you need to do this. Tell them that this is what you expect, and if they're not willing to abide by it, that it doesn't happen

having said all that, she's pregnant and it's a pandemic. I would avoid taking any chances at all.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

I loving love this thread.

When my mom told me her boyfriend tested positive, my brain broke in half. They're both immunocompromised, and my mom is a really sweet and forgetful lady who once tried to comfort my climate change anxiety with "Biden will fix it, sweetheart!" My dear, vulnerable, bunny-turned-human mother who just wants to see the sunny side of things, who hand sewed me an apron with heart-shaped pockets, who has trouble remembering if she took her medicine or missed a doctor appointment today is stuck in a windowless apartment with Typhoid Mary and her survival depends on how well she can adhere to airborne disease prevention protocols she just learned about secondhand from her idiot daughter (that's me!)

So when I heard her boyfriend is sick, I wanted to cry and burst into flames, because I thought she'd never listen to me the way no one ever listens to me, because no one likes a Cassandra and I can't help myself. I thought I'd be met with resistance, tears, and arguments when I told her how many people are really dying, that there's no lasting immunity, the cloth masks don't work well and they knew at the start, on and on. She was actually receptive to all of it which means she must be seeing enough for it to form cracks in the illusion propaganda built for her. She was just as heartbroken to hear all this as I have been knowing it. And while it wasn't GOOD it was cathartic in a way I can't describe. I know I can't protect my family but I feel like I'm giving them tools to protect themselves, and that's not nothing.

Despite being in a small windowless apartment with a positive partner, she's still negative ~10 days out. They're wearing N95s inside, they use separate bathrooms and don't mingle together. She said she thought if she were going to get it she surely would have by now, and I said NO it doesn't work that way, please keep being cautious because that's why you are not sick! She says "oh? Oh, of course!" And she's sticking to it, or seems to be.

From the valuable information posted ITT to the emotional support, this thread unironically saves lives and y'all are loving wonderful. Thank you. (And forgive the rambling, I'm not all the way awake and full of feelings)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

actionjackson posted:

the cheapest miele induction cooktop I could find was 2300 lol. that's more than my range (cooktop+oven), microwave and dishwasher combined

the real bougie tier is gaggenau tho

when did you get your other stuff

we had to replace a dishwasher and fridge during corona and they were $2200 and $1400, respectively. Similar models would have been 30-40% cheaper 2-3 years earlier I believe.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
from a thousand pages ago but whatever

Zugzwang posted:

When I initially tried this back in 2006, I was being so militant about it that I'd like, check food labels for sodium lactate. Can't do that again for my own sanity.

for what it's worth modern sodium lactate is non dairy. in the event it actually is, current allergen warnings require a dairy label on the ingredients.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah listening to NPR this morning would give you the impression that this is completely over and no one is getting sick.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/realLandsEnd/status/1493201804338814979?s=20&t=fczlanLSRItwmJE8I4d0wA

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

gradenko_2000 posted:

make everyone be vaccinated and boostered

make everyone get a test before they can see you

have everyone wear an N95, and have them wear it properly
no taking it off under any circumstances

do it outdoors if possible, or in a well-ventilated room otherwise (windows are open, fans are going; or a Corsi cube)
limit the interaction. I'd do no more than 15 minutes but there's really no way to quantify this besides shorter=better

ideally they'd also be masked in the days and weeks preceding their visit, especially if they're flying to you, but again, it's not something you can control, so you kinda have to snoop their social media or know how they've been behaving during the pandemic to get an understanding of how likely they are to catch COVID before they come to you

and I wouldn't even bother trying to come up with articles and citations justifying why you need to do this. Tell them that this is what you expect, and if they're not willing to abide by it, that it doesn't happen

having said all that, she's pregnant and it's a pandemic. I would avoid taking any chances at all.

This is correct. No interaction is the best interaction, but if there absolutely has to be something, set extremely clear and inflexible rules and be willing to tell them to gently caress off if the rules aren’t followed to the letter. Explanations are useless, they just invite the other party to try to pick them apart, which will almost inevitably lead to a situation where they’re saying “but dr google, the famous epidemiologist, said it was fine to go to a restaurant last night because we tested negative before that” or whatever terrible thing when they show up at your door. Your terms are your terms, anyone that doesn’t agree to those terms should save the money and stay home, and don’t be scared to tell them to go home after they already spent the money if they’re not holding up their end of the agreement.

Your family’s well-being is a lot more important than these people wanting to visit their grandkid before the kid is even out in the world, and it is not your responsibility to make them believe that you’re right before they can be told to not show up. This isn’t debate club, it’s the two human lives that you care most about in the most fragile state they’ve ever been in. Behave accordingly.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
3 people quit over the weekend from the preschool program. Things are barely running at this point.

Edit: I should clarify that I get it. The pay is poo poo and there are no benefits. The public health nurse is also out because she slipped on some ice.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
SMH. No one wants to work anymore. :hmmno:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Real Mean Queen posted:

It reminds me of last year when breakthroughs were starting to show up and the official line was “no they aren’t, shut up.” People are so desperate for this to be a clear cut situation where the virus can’t do some things, and all those things are the things that are covered by being vaccinated and maskless. It’s going to keep being “well you can’t catch it twice though” until everyone is on round three or four, and then there’ll be some good news about how that’s actually very safe. Until then, you can’t catch it twice, even if you did.

One thing I don’t think the virus can do is get small enough to get through these p100s, but that’s inconvenient, so we have to just say it can’t do things that we know it can do until something makes us stop.

It's bad enough we're living through some of the doomier outcomes initially envisioned about the pandemic. It's made worse that the default assumption is a given bad outcome is impossible until the evidence becomes irrefutable. People assumed without real evidence that vaccine immunity was going to be durable, reinfections rare, and that the virus couldn't effectively evolve around vaccine antibodies. At each step overwhelming evidence was required to refute these assumptions instead of the opposite. It's terrible that the null hypothesis is always "the bad outcome won't happen so we don't need to do anything proactive".

It probably won't take long for the public and health authorities to admit that reinfections aren't uncommon, as they're already happening with just the Omicron variant and the likely upcoming BA.2 wave will make it undeniable. However the next step will be the most dangerous IMO, as the argument will be that getting reinfected every 4 months is actually ok and mild if you're vaccinated. It will take time for whatever health impacts of repeated infections to become clear, and there will be a lot of social pressure to downplay their significance. In this light the push for normalcy and to abandon NPIs + testing over the past week has been especially concerning, as it's a clear signal the assumption will be repeated COVID infections are not a big deal going forward. Not even sure that will ever be effectively refuted, as the implications are so bad given the virus is everywhere.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 14, 2022

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

When my mom told me her boyfriend tested positive, my brain broke in half. They're both immunocompromised, and my mom is a really sweet and forgetful lady who once tried to comfort my climate change anxiety with "Biden will fix it, sweetheart!" My dear, vulnerable, bunny-turned-human mother who just wants to see the sunny side of things, who hand sewed me an apron with heart-shaped pockets, who has trouble remembering if she took her medicine or missed a doctor appointment today is stuck in a windowless apartment with Typhoid Mary and her survival depends on how well she can adhere to airborne disease prevention protocols she just learned about secondhand from her idiot daughter (that's me!)

So when I heard her boyfriend is sick, I wanted to cry and burst into flames, because I thought she'd never listen to me the way no one ever listens to me, because no one likes a Cassandra and I can't help myself. I thought I'd be met with resistance, tears, and arguments when I told her how many people are really dying, that there's no lasting immunity, the cloth masks don't work well and they knew at the start, on and on. She was actually receptive to all of it which means she must be seeing enough for it to form cracks in the illusion propaganda built for her. She was just as heartbroken to hear all this as I have been knowing it. And while it wasn't GOOD it was cathartic in a way I can't describe. I know I can't protect my family but I feel like I'm giving them tools to protect themselves, and that's not nothing.

Despite being in a small windowless apartment with a positive partner, she's still negative ~10 days out. They're wearing N95s inside, they use separate bathrooms and don't mingle together. She said she thought if she were going to get it she surely would have by now, and I said NO it doesn't work that way, please keep being cautious because that's why you are not sick! She says "oh? Oh, of course!" And she's sticking to it, or seems to be.

From the valuable information posted ITT to the emotional support, this thread unironically saves lives and y'all are loving wonderful. Thank you. (And forgive the rambling, I'm not all the way awake and full of feelings)

You’re lucky to have a mom like that, and she’s lucky to have a daughter like you. Good work.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Greg Legg posted:

3 people quit over the weekend from the preschool program. Things are barely running at this point.

Edit: I should clarify that I get it. The pay is poo poo and there are no benefits. The public health nurse is also out because she slipped on some ice.

I like how politicians like Sleepy Joe did the whole let's open up and find out what happens?

Completely ignoring all reality in hopes that it would confirm to WH PR spin.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
This belongs in the i hate cars thread but they skipped plowing most of the sidewalks after the last storm and there was a melt followed by a snap freeze. Sidewalks are so icy there is no question it's going to kill some olds

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

This belongs in the i hate cars thread but they skipped plowing most of the sidewalks after the last storm and there was a melt followed by a snap freeze. Sidewalks are so icy there is no question it's going to kill some olds

got me on friday. i fell and banged up my wrist. spent an hour in the hospital waiting for the xray machine including twenty minutes of "oh hmm all the rooms are full, well, ok wait in this tiny room with this rando for a bit". fun times.

got to see cars zip by on the nicely salted and plowed road while laying on my rear end on the ice sheet of a sidewalk.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

got me on friday. i fell and banged up my wrist. spent an hour in the hospital waiting for the xray machine including twenty minutes of "oh hmm all the rooms are full, well, ok wait in this tiny room with this rando for a bit". fun times.

got to see cars zip by on the nicely salted and plowed road while laying on my rear end on the ice sheet of a sidewalk.

oh man Joe I'm sorry if you went through all that trouble with the building inspector only to have to do this at the hospital

in your respirator trust!

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Testvan posted:

even Open Biden is saying it

This statement shows that we are still under Lockdown

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

silicone thrills posted:

lol my period was hosed up and weird after all 3 of my shots and my pain levels have shot back up.

Glad they are finally investigating it / taking it seriously because it sure as gently caress seems weird.

the same thing happened to me. i think i mentioned this before but a dude at my county's health department said that menstrual side effects just don't happen and my problem was something else. only reason i called was because one of their rotating twitter posts were a "debunking" of the menstrual side effects. i was loving livid.

similarly, my friend heard about the side effects and asked me if the shot made me skip a period. turned out she got pregnant between shot 1 and 2. her and the baby are fine though, thank goodness.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh man Joe I'm sorry if you went through all that trouble with the building inspector only to have to do this at the hospital

in your respirator trust!

fortunately, i think i got to opt out of my apartment inspection on wednesday. spent the weekend cleaning up my place anyway, which it needed. that was hard to do with one hand in a brace. :sweatdrop:

wednesday looks like it'll be above freezing and windy in the afternoon, so if they do come by i'll just open the windows and tell them to deal.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lol the loving dog doesn't have a mask anymore

gently caress you

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

7 day average now just below delta peak

over

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I went to the dentist today and I gotta go back in two weeks for a crown. Fml

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Love seeing dicknosing at a pediatric hospital. Fills me with hope. Just joyful glee for my poor toddler's safety

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

best thread :)

Nocturtle posted:

It probably won't take long for the public and health authorities to admit that reinfections aren't uncommon, as they're already happening with just the Omicron variant and the likely upcoming BA.2 wave will make it undeniable. However the next step will be the most dangerous IMO, as the argument will be that getting reinfected every 4 months is actually ok and mild if you're vaccinated. It will take time for whatever health impacts of repeated infections to become clear, and there will be a lot of social pressure to downplay their significance. In this light the push for normalcy and to abandon NPIs + testing over the past week has been especially concerning, as it's a clear signal the assumption will be repeated COVID infections are not a big deal going forward. Not even sure that will ever be effectively refuted, as the implications are so bad given the virus is everywhere.

Mentally preparing myself for this.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Nocturtle posted:

It's bad enough we're living through some of the doomier outcomes initially envisioned about the pandemic. It's made worse the default assumption is always that a given bad outcome is impossible until the evidence becomes irrefutable. People assumed without real evidence that vaccine immunity was going to be durable, reinfections rare, and that the virus couldn't effectively evolve around vaccine antibodies. At each step overwhelming evidence was required to refute these assumptions instead of the opposite. It's terrible that the null hypothesis is always "the bad outcome won't happen so we don't need to do anything proactive".

A: Hey the kitchen is on fire

B: Oh that sucks but kitchens are like where fire is in a house usually and most of them go out so statistically speaking it’s whatever

A: Okay now the living room is on fire

B: Wow I didn’t see that coming, I’m so sorry to hear that, but like a lot of stuff these days is built not to burn so I bet it’ll just go out

A: Okay the fire has now anthropomorphized into a series of grinning devils that are doing finger-to-lip sneaky walking into other rooms and homes around the neighborhood and they’re dropping cute little fires out of their hip pouches as they go, plus their footprints are on fire

B: Yeah I mean there was no way to know the fire was going to do that but it’s probably fine because the cute little fires are like pretty fuckin small in terms of fires, so they should be fine as long as people put them out with fire extinguishers

A: Are we going to tell people to do that? Do they have fire extinguishers and understand how and why they should use them?

B: No, obviously, we can’t just give everyone a fire extinguisher, they’re expensive and you need to be trained to use one so like what would be the point. But look, the kitchen and the living room are like fully destroyed and the remaining parts are like totally not as on fire as they could have been yet so this would be a great time to buy new furniture.

A: All the other houses are on fire and so is the forest and the cartoon fire devils are coming back to burn all the stuff they didn’t burn already, and also some of the cartoon fire devils are like really fast and clearly care more about the job than the last batch did. Several members of my family remain unburned and it looks like that will change soon.

B: You are mentally ill, and I want you to know that I say that as a person who cares about the fact that we don’t have a publicly funded haha house to put people like you in any more. While it is true that we can all see the faster cartoon fire devils, they have not been scientifically proven to exist. The only rational course of action is to wait until they knock on our doors, and then open our homes to them and their burning feet and their unslakable thirst for continued and expanded human misery, until such a time that they can be proven extant by the experts.

A: Wait, you’re letting them in? Couldn't you just not open the door when they knock?

B: Who hurt you?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some kids can die of covid. as a treat.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Real Mean Queen posted:

You’re lucky to have a mom like that, and she’s lucky to have a daughter like you. Good work.
Thank you, truly. :3: I'll do my best to keep it up.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
are not all states reporting anymore or......

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ex post facho posted:

are not all states reporting anymore or......

Why would the report about an extinct virus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Joementum posted:

Sorry you got nailed, hope that wrist heals up quickly. I think I'm just not going to go outside while it's like this