Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Caufman posted:

Something I've also seen is that an atheist and a believer may have the same concept of what God is, and they differ only in whether that exists. At the same time, it's possible for two believer to have such different notions of God that the difference between them is bigger than the difference between an atheist and a believer. I've found this to be the case especially when thinking of mysticism's notions of God (crudely, that God is in all things, and all things are constitutive of God). So what Killingyouguy! is saying makes sense to me, because I think mysticism is a minority thought among most believers and atheists both. Both are picturing an external deity that broadcasts messages and intervenes in the world, and one believe this deity exists while the other does not. In my own life, I'd describe my early understanding of God from growing up Catholic to have been more similar to my understanding of God when I went through a period of atheism than to my understanding of God today, after having been introduced to contemplative practice.

I am curious about this idea of atheist mysticism

e: if I am not responding to parts of this conversation it is not pride nor ignoring the posts I just assume this thread has seen enough shithead atheists that I'm treading lightly

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Killingyouguy! posted:

All great questions which I do not have answers for! I kind of figured religious people have some kind of innate sense of what's the correct answer that I just lack.

i dont think its innate at all. very few people start with a blank slate and then choose the religion that makes the most sense to them. i would venture that a majority of religious people practice the religion they were raised in by their family and culture. and of course, there are huge numbers of people all over the world who simply aren't exposed to other religions except through the lens of the culture they are born into.

there are of course many exceptions, there are lots of people who convert for various reasons. but even so, few if any of those people are starting from some kind of neutral position and choosing from all world religions based on an "innate sense of whats correct". often the reasons are more emotional or practical - such as falling in love with someone of a different religion and wanting to join their family. and while in those cases of conversion the religious passion for the new faith may well be genuine, it's still not really a decision based on theological considerations or even necessarily a decision about which of all the worlds religions is the most "correct"

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 10, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nessus posted:

But I also think most schools do not hold the obedience to God's law as the goal in and of itself, but rather as a route to salvation, and it's the salvation that's the important part. (I speak very broadly; I would consider 'salvation' to be the bodhisattva path followed by buddhahood and then nirvana; but it is still an "upward-looking" kind of goal.)

This has always been my take, and lead to some real arguments with Catholic family back in the day.

Basically I've looked at it like a parent telling a toddler that they have to go to bed. The kid doesn't want to go to bed. They want to stay up late, eat a ton of ice cream, play with blocks all night, and keep hanging out with mom and dad. But the parents know that it's in the kid's best interest to not do those things. The kid doesn't understand why all that awesome stuff wouldn't be good for it, but ultimately understanding isn't necessarily the point.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Nessus posted:

If God was real and wanted obedience, He could just make everyone obey with his superpowers.

I think that reasoning back from this premise (that God wants people to obey him) tends to lead to either a macro-goal for this obedience (for instance, to bring humans into closer relationship with him) or creates a sort of weird maltheism which we all probably saw tons of in pop media in the 90s and early 00s ('he's insecure and is trying to coax everyone through some huge psychodrama.)

But I also think most schools do not hold the obedience to God's law as the goal in and of itself, but rather as a route to salvation, and it's the salvation that's the important part. (I speak very broadly; I would consider 'salvation' to be the bodhisattva path followed by buddhahood and then nirvana; but it is still an "upward-looking" kind of goal.)

Winifred Madgers posted:

My thought on this is more that God so much wants it to be uncoerced, that he allows it to be obscure and difficult to figure out. He doesn't want just obedience, he wants people who seek him.

I want my children to listen to me when I ask them to do something - obedience - but I want it to be willing because they love me and respect me as a parent - uncoerced - and am not willing to spank or severely punish them - force.

Oddly enough...if you had gotten me into any of these discussions a year ago I would not have known how to answer.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

I am curious about this idea of atheist mysticism

e: if I am not responding to parts of this conversation it is not pride nor ignoring the posts I just assume this thread has seen enough shithead atheists that I'm treading lightly

I think exploring Buddhism and non-dualism (advaita) couldbe good for your curiosity. I've that when considering mysticism, theism because more of a language than a set of irreducible beliefs. The Plum Village Tradition is good at switching between the language of theism and non-theism when talking about the nature of reality. That is, when meditating on the way all things are constitutive and interconnected, from the very small to the very large, from the pleasant to the unpleasant and the neutral, you do not need to call this God, and you also do not not need to call it God, either. It is as possible to miss seeing reality as it is with the lense of theism and non-theism both, once we begin to catagorize things into separate self-entities and to believe these notions of separateness are how reality is rather than our means for approaching reality.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

D34THROW posted:

I want my children to listen to me when I ask them to do something - obedience - but I want it to be willing because they love me and respect me as a parent - uncoerced - and am not willing to spank or severely punish them - force.

Oddly enough...if you had gotten me into any of these discussions a year ago I would not have known how to answer.
And you (presumably) are not seeking total control - you wish your child to grow up healthy and uninjured, which requires regulation and riding herd. So the child should obey you, as a source of (presumably) greater wisdom and guidance towards this journey, rather than as an intrinsic virtue. They should do things other than obey you as well, such as study their books, play with friends, etc.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Killingyouguy! posted:

Wait, meat robot is an option??

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

if i wanted that, i'd have fallen into calvinism

"Meat robot" makes it sound cool, but what some Gnostics thought was that the people they called Hylics weren't really people. They didn't have souls so they were more like animals or automatons. It strikes me as taking the idea common to angsty teens everywhere that anyone who disagrees with you is stupid to its ultimate end.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

*smirks buddhishly* welcome to egolessness

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm the only conscious human btw

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm the only conscious human btw

how do you know that youre conscious

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

This is so painfully accurate.

… I’m glad I’m not an “enlightened” 20 year old anymore…

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Borrowed from the PYF gifs thread:

Be not afraid!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

White Coke posted:

"Meat robot" makes it sound cool, but what some Gnostics thought was that the people they called Hylics weren't really people. They didn't have souls so they were more like animals or automatons. It strikes me as taking the idea common to angsty teens everywhere that anyone who disagrees with you is stupid to its ultimate end.

yes, i would like to sign up to be one please

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Nothing wrong with being a meat robot, the problem is the eternal damnation that comes after.

In my more pessimistic moments I would wager suicide would be incredibly common everywhere if people could be assured that what came after life was oblivion as opposed to something even worse than life. But as Davy Jones would say "Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different?" That motivates a lot of people to keep living.

Going back to Calvin though, it seems to me like Christian theologians have struggled for a long time to try to balance God's Justice and God's Love and many of them chose to side more with the former than the latter. Of course, most people nowadays would say Hell is a supreme injustice, and certainly things like apostasy doesn't deserve it even as the greatest theologians said they did. Or, I know Aquinas suggested capital punishment for it, not sure if he thought they should go to Hell after.

It's one thing Buddhism kind of avoids by not having a God. Amida did not make the world, he's just a being who wanted to save other suffering beings in it. And so the Shin Buddhist advocates I've met have always stressed he is no judge, just a savior.

Funny how things work out. Completely randomly while reading up on other things, I discovered this man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyr4GxgRhU0

quote:

'You may forgive, but the man has sinned against God!'--Then it is not a part of the divine to be merciful, I return, and a man may be more merciful than his maker! A man may do that which would be too merciful in God! Then mercy is not a divine attribute, for it may exceed and be too much; it must not be infinite, therefore cannot be God's own.

'Mercy may be against justice.' Never--if you mean by justice what I mean by justice. If anything be against justice, it cannot be called mercy, for it is cruelty. 'To thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy, for thou renderest to every man according to his work.' There is no opposition, no strife whatever, between mercy and justice. Those who say justice means the punishing of sin, and mercy the not punishing of sin, and attribute both to God, would make a schism in the very idea of God. And this brings me to the question, What is meant by divine justice?

Human justice may be a poor distortion of justice, a mere shadow of it; but the justice of God must be perfect. We cannot frustrate it in its working; are we just to it in our idea of it? If you ask any ordinary Sunday congregation in England, what is meant by the justice of God, would not nineteen out of twenty answer, that it means his punishing of sin? Think for a moment what degree of justice it would indicate in a man--that he punished every wrong. A Roman emperor, a Turkish cadi, might do that, and be the most unjust both of men and judges. Ahab might be just on the throne of punishment, and in his garden the murderer of Naboth. In God shall we imagine a distinction of office and character? God is one; and the depth of foolishness is reached by that theology which talks of God as if he held different offices, and differed in each. It sets a contradiction in the very nature of God himself. It represents him, for instance, as having to do that as a magistrate which as a father he would not do! The love of the father makes him desire to be unjust as a magistrate! Oh the folly of any mind that would explain God before obeying him! that would map out the character of God, instead of crying, Lord, what wouldst thou have me to do? God is no magistrate; but, if he were, it would be a position to which his fatherhood alone gave him the right; his rights as a father cover every right he can be analytically supposed to possess. The justice of God is this, that--to use a boyish phrase, the best the language will now afford me because of misuse--he gives every man, woman, child, and beast, everything that has being, fair play; he renders to every man according to his work; and therein lies his perfect mercy; for nothing else could be merciful to the man, and nothing but mercy could be fair to him. God does nothing of which any just man, the thing set fairly and fully before him so that he understood, would not say, 'That is fair.' Who would, I repeat, say a man was a just man because he insisted on prosecuting every offender? A scoundrel might do that. Yet the justice of God, forsooth, is his punishment of sin! A just man is one who cares, and tries, and always tries, to give fair play to everyone in every thing. When we speak of the justice of God, let us see that we do mean justice! Punishment of the guilty may be involved in justice, but it does not constitute the justice of God one atom more than it would constitute the justice of a man.

You all might know him but while I vaguely know the name, I've never read or listened to anything by him. Of course, CS Lewis is a very famous name, particularly to Christians, and he held MacDonald in the highest regard, maybe MacDonald even led to his conversion from one thing I glanced at.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It seems a Catholic priest in Arizona has been making an error in doctrinal form, and accidentally performing invalid baptisms for 20 years. It hit the news last night:

Oopsie.

Full story: https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/14/us/pastor-invalid-baptisms-resignation/index.html
FAQ by the Diocese of Phoenix about the situation: https://dphx.org/valid-baptisms/#FAQ

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

happy parinirvana day. All compounded things are subject to decay. Strive with diligence!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Even ionic bonds?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

It seems a Catholic priest in Arizona has been making an error in doctrinal form, and accidentally performing invalid baptisms for 20 years. It hit the news last night:

Oopsie.

Full story: https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/14/us/pastor-invalid-baptisms-resignation/index.html
FAQ by the Diocese of Phoenix about the situation: https://dphx.org/valid-baptisms/#FAQ

...so because he used the royal "we", in theory (I didn't read the article, just theorycrafting). Because he made an error in understanding, despite the intent behind the action and the methodology, twenty years of baptisms are invalidated? What the actual gently caress

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

D34THROW posted:

...so because he used the royal "we", in theory (I didn't read the article, just theorycrafting). Because he made an error in understanding, despite the intent behind the action and the methodology, twenty years of baptisms are invalidated? What the actual gently caress

This pretty much sums up my reaction to it.

How in god's name (in this case in a very literal sense) the Church didn't just declare that they were good to go despite the flub, that god understood the intent, etc. is beyond me.

Oh and every other sacrament that they did post-baptism is also invalid because baptism is required for them. I can't imagine having to re-do confirmation in your 30s because of this, and you know that there are some people who are under this umbrella who were married in the Church as well.

From the Diocese of Phoenix's FAQ on the matter:

quote:

What this means for you is, if your baptism was invalid and you’ve received other sacraments, you may need to repeat some or all of those sacraments after you are validly baptized as well.

Bolding is in the original, they really want you to know that your confirmations and marriages are also null.

Not to mention potentially 2 or 3 decades of improperly taking communion.

It's just patently ridiculous on the face of it and I refuse to believe there isn't some way they can have someone high enough up the chain sign off on it as being fine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Geez. I can understand wanting to encourage the people who were affected by this to renew their sacraments but I thought there was a rule that if the sacrament is done with honest intent, God handles trivial errors. I, a Buddhist, could do a legitimate baptism if I was the only one with a dying person and they plead with me to do it before they died.

Gaius Marius posted:

Even ionic bonds?
Proton decay, holmes. As I think I remarked here, it is easy to confuse 'eternal and permanent' with 'insanely long duration/slow change.'

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Bishop Olmsted in Phoenix is a crazy reactionary who directly countermands papal orders anyway. Not surprising that he's looking for a way to be an extra rear end in a top hat just for the fun of it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Bolding is in the original, they really want you to know that your confirmations and marriages are also null.

And let's not even discuss all those deceased loved ones, who have now been retconned to have died "unbaptized".

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

going to hell bc some other guy hosed up one word seems... Wrong, but what do I know

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

And here I thought the eternal Sprinkle vs Dunk debates between Protestant denominations were bad.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

This pretty much sums up my reaction to it.

How in god's name (in this case in a very literal sense) the Church didn't just declare that they were good to go despite the flub, that god understood the intent, etc. is beyond me.

Oh and every other sacrament that they did post-baptism is also invalid because baptism is required for them. I can't imagine having to re-do confirmation in your 30s because of this, and you know that there are some people who are under this umbrella who were married in the Church as well.

From the Diocese of Phoenix's FAQ on the matter:

It's just patently ridiculous on the face of it and I refuse to believe there isn't some way they can have someone high enough up the chain sign off on it as being fine.

I'm sure the Pope will have something to say about it all.

Was just poking around the news for more on this and saw something that absolutely infuriates me and gives me great issue with the Church. I'm nondenominational, undenominational, fundamentalist, whatever you call it - I just try to be a New Testament Christian or something approximating it given my personal views on certain touchy subjects. So when I see something like this and a quote like this:

quote:

Father Zachary Boazman of Oklahoma City is one such priest. He watched a video from his infancy in which a deacon from the Diocese of Dallas, during service in the Diocese of Fort Worth, had tried to baptize the infant Boazman using the wrong formula.

Father Matthew Hood of the Archdiocese of Detroit also watched a video of a different deacon, Mark Springer, performing an invalid baptism on him as an infant in Troy, Michigan.

In both cases, these would-be priests weren’t really priests, or even Christians! Both men had to be baptized, confirmed, and ordained deacons and then priests for the first time.

So because I have not been baptized in the Church - rather as a Lutheran - with a sprinkle of water on my head as a baby, that because I've not taken the sacraments or whatever, that despite my belief in the Godhead and all the other things that, to me, make a Christian, does the Church then hold that I am not, in fact, a Christian?

EDIT: As an example, my church does two of these things: a believer's full-immersion baptism (which I am greatly looking forward to and my daughter is practically demanding for herself at this point) and communion at important times (I've seen Thanksgiving and Christmas).

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 15, 2022

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Speaking from a Jewish perspective: words are important, but they're important for people. God knows that we need routine and ritual, so He gives us words to help us out. He does not actually give the tiniest poo poo what these words are, because He is the infinite and omnipotent God of all Creation, but He knows they make us happy, so He's happy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Bishop Olmsted in Phoenix is a crazy reactionary who directly countermands papal orders anyway. Not surprising that he's looking for a way to be an extra rear end in a top hat just for the fun of it.

Phoenix diocese's FAQ points the finger on this directly at CDF and the Pope so that is surely what's happening here.

What a clownshow.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

remember everything can always be stupider than they are now!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

D34THROW posted:

quote:

Father Zachary Boazman of Oklahoma City is one such priest. He watched a video from his infancy in which a deacon from the Diocese of Dallas, during service in the Diocese of Fort Worth, had tried to baptize the infant Boazman using the wrong formula.

Father Matthew Hood of the Archdiocese of Detroit also watched a video of a different deacon, Mark Springer, performing an invalid baptism on him as an infant in Troy, Michigan.

In both cases, these would-be priests weren’t really priests, or even Christians! Both men had to be baptized, confirmed, and ordained deacons and then priests for the first time.

If this sort of thing is a genuine concern, then you'd think that somewhere near the end of the ordination process, they'd quickly re-apply all these previous steps. Belt and suspenders, just to cover their sacramental butts in case of an undetected error somewhere years ago. Or hey, maybe even encourage laypeople to get another coat of baptismal waters applied, just in case.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

D34THROW posted:

So because I have not been baptized in the Church - rather as a Lutheran - with a sprinkle of water on my head as a baby, that because I've not taken the sacraments or whatever, that despite my belief in the Godhead and all the other things that, to me, make a Christian, does the Church then hold that I am not, in fact, a Christian?

EDIT: As an example, my church does two of these things: a believer's full-immersion baptism (which I am greatly looking forward to and my daughter is practically demanding for herself at this point) and communion at important times (I've seen Thanksgiving and Christmas).

Lutheran baptisms are actually accepted as co-valid in the Catholic Church, there are only certain denominations that the Church does not hold as valid. Mormon stands as a principle example, due to the very different beliefs of Mormons vis a vis Catholics.

I can understand the frustration and dismay that comes of news like this, it's a huge mess and there's going to be a lot of hurt. There are remedies though, there have been Priests before who found out they were invalidly baptized and then had to go through baptism, confirmation, and holy orders all in one day to get things right. For people who are alive and who have been wronged, things can be rectified pretty easily probably, in 1 session most likely. For those dead, the Catholic Church has always taught that who God chooses to have mercy on and allow into Heaven is up to Him, so I don't think it's fair for posters here to decide the Catholic Church is just condemning those straight to Hell.

At the same time, words are important, and allowing slight deviations here or there in prayers and sacraments is in my honest opinion just begging for future deviations that can or will introduce contradictory theological ideas into the Sacrament. Maybe it seems like quibbling to outsiders, but to Catholics this is (eternal) life or death stuff.

For those who might want to read more: there's this article on the topic.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 15, 2022

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Lutheran baptisms are actually accepted as co-valid in the Catholic Church, there are only certain denominations that the Church does not hold as valid. Mormon stands as a principle example, due to the very different beliefs of Mormons vis a vis Catholics.

I can understand the frustration and dismay that comes of news like this, it's a huge mess and there's going to be a lot of hurt. There are remedies though, there have been Priests before who found out they were invalidly baptized and then had to go through baptism, confirmation, and holy orders all in one day to get things right. For people who are alive and who have been wronged, things can be rectified pretty easily probably, in 1 session most likely. For those dead, the Catholic Church has always taught that who God chooses to have mercy on and allow into Heaven is up to Him, so I don't think it's fair for posters here to decide the Catholic Church is just condemning those straight to Hell.

At the same time, words are important, and allowing slight deviations here or there in prayers and sacraments is in my honest opinion just begging for future deviations that can or will introduce contradictory theological ideas into the Sacrament. Maybe it seems like quibbling to outsiders, but to Catholics this is (eternal) life or death stuff.

For those who might want to read more: there's this article on the topic.

I see a distinction between the Vatican exerting its authority to ensure standard wording as an administrative process and the theological claim that is being made by the CDF and in the explainer you linked. Administrative authority is clear and it's appropriate IMO for the Vatican or a Bishop to assert that there is only one appropriate phrasing for baptism and that priests have to use it. However, the CNA explainer explicitly says that a devout priest, acting in good faith in that role, was in fact not only not ordained but "not a Christian" because he found a video showing a word was said wrong in his baptism. That's an exceptional claim to me from a theological standpoint - the CDF appears to be saying that regardless of intent, the specific words used create the validity of a sacrament. That's problematic for a couple of reasons - the first being that this language is all translated from its sources originally so there is inevitable interpretation happening, the second being that the language used by the Church changes (I think they changed the specific form of the Apostle's Creed under Benedict to bring it closer to the Latin), the third being that the Church has always taught that baptisms in extremis were valid, and the fourth being that it gets close to clericalism - claiming that becoming a Christian is solely the results of actions taken by others with special authority rather than down to the individual's choice and intent. So to me the theological foundation of their argument can't rest on the words of the sacraments themselves - the only theological pathway I can see to their arguments' foundation is the argument that the Church can set the terms of what constitutes validity through the descent of authority from Peter. In which case it's explicitly based on the authority of the Vatican itself and they could just say that in this case the intent matters more than the form!

Edited to tone down the language, I really like the tenor of discussion in this thread and I'm not calling you out Crazy Joe regardless. These kinds of decisions just frustrate me because they read like building walls, not bridges, to people.

Notahippie fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 16, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The 'presume to be valid' bit leads to a fun question.

How many people in the world know, with certainty which words were used in their baptism? Given that the practice is to baptize a child within a few weeks of birth, I would suggest that number is quite low.

Should they, then, presume that their baptism is valid?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

The 'presume to be valid' bit leads to a fun question.

How many people in the world know, with certainty which words were used in their baptism? Given that the practice is to baptize a child within a few weeks of birth, I would suggest that number is quite low.

Should they, then, presume that their baptism is valid?

Yes they should.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Killingyouguy! posted:

going to hell bc some other guy hosed up one word seems... Wrong, but what do I know

You're going to heaven because one other guy didn't gently caress up, didn't you? :v:

Freudian posted:

Speaking from a Jewish perspective: words are important, but they're important for people. God knows that we need routine and ritual, so He gives us words to help us out. He does not actually give the tiniest poo poo what these words are, because He is the infinite and omnipotent God of all Creation, but He knows they make us happy, so He's happy.

Reminds me of one of my favorite hasidim stories:

When the foudner of Hasidic Judaism, the gret Rabbi Israel Shem Tov, saw misfortune threatening the Jews, it was his custom to go into a certain part of the forest to meditate. There he would light a fire, say a special prayer, and the miracle would be accomplished, and the misfortune averted.

Later, when his disciple, the celebrated Maggid of Mezritch, had occasion, for the same reason, to intercede with heaven, he would go to the same place in the forest and say: "Master of the Universe, listen! I do not know how to light the fire, but I am still able to say the prayer," and again the miracle would be accomplished.

Still later, Rabbi Moshe-leib of Sasov, in order to save his people once more, would go into the forest and say, "I do not know to light the fire. I do not know the prayer, but I know the place, and this must be sufficient." It was sufficient, and the miracle was accomplished.

Then it fell to Rabbi Israel of Rizhin to overcome misfortune. Sitting in his armchair, his head in his hands, he spoke to God: "I am unable to light the fire, and i do not know the prayer, and I cannot even find the place in the forest. All I can do is tell the story, and this must be sufficient."

And it was sufficient. For God made man because he loves stories.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tias posted:

You're going to heaven because one other guy didn't gently caress up, didn't you? :v:

If a Satanist gets let into heaven someone definitely hosed up somewhere

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Eh, some satanists are rather christian. There are miles between the eugenicist psychopathy of early LaVey and the higher craft oriented left handers, for example.

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 17, 2022

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Christ died for the sins of all, and nobody knows what goes on between a person and God. My expectation is that we'll see all the Satanists in heaven.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Christ died for the sins of all, and nobody knows what goes on between a person and God. My expectation is that we'll see all the Satanists in heaven.

But they'll paint the entrance red and make fires everywhere just to troll the rest of us.